PDA

View Full Version : M&P mag issue

ruchik
07-11-12, 13:05
When I first got my M&P 9, I noticed that I could only fit 9 rounds into the magazine. I live in California, so I can only use the 10 round mags with the plastic lower halves. Anyhow, I hit the 'net, and the prevailing advice was to remove the followers and grind some material off the "legs" of the follower. I did just that, and lo and behold I could fit the 10th round in, but only by hand, no Maglula magic here. However, whenever I insert a mag on a closed slide, I really have to slam that mag in to get it to seat. Hard enough that the top round gets a flat spot on it right where the crimp is. Once again, I turned to the internet, but the only solution it seems was to let the springs wear in. Well, about 1000 rounds later, the mags show no sign of wearing out. As a matter of fact, when I installed my Apex FSS, I forgot to reinstall the ejector, and the force of the mag spring alone pushing up on the rounds was enough to pop the empty casings out from behind the extractor. So what gives? There's barely any give in the mag once the top round goes in. Do I shave off more of the follower? Maybe cut a coil on the spring? I've already shaved the "legs" on the followers enough so that they're flush with the bottom of the follower, but no dice.

runifucan
07-11-12, 13:40
The most likely cause is the spring needs to wear in so it can be compressed easier. If removing some of the bottom of the follower enabled you to put a 10th round in the mag than it's probably too much spring in the mag or too much follower. The more you remove of the legs the more likely it is to get follower tilt.
To check if it's the follower put a piece of white tape on the lowest portion of the follower and put crushed pencil lead on the floorplate in the mag, load the mag full and see if the graphite transfered to the tape. If you now have marks on the tape it is the limiting factor.

LtNovakUSA
07-11-12, 17:59
Also make sure that the mag spring is not bent. I know S+W had a problem with bad springs a while back with the 45's. I had the same symptoms with my magazines until S+W hooked me up with good mag springs.

TAZ
07-11-12, 19:53
I have never seen the handicapped mags in person, so take this with a grain of salt. I do not believe that you are experiencing a spring wear issue. If you are denting a round you have a mechanical interference issue. Either the follower is WAY long and it's bottoming out on the base plate and has no room to displace further and allow a full mag to seat with the slide closed or your spring is fully compressed and can give no more. I have had some pretty tight mags, but NEVER have I been able to physically damage a round aside from scratches or wear marks. I'd go an buy a new mag and see if the same thing happens with the new mag. If it doesn't, take them apart and see if there is something amiss in your mag.

devilsdeeds
07-11-12, 20:17
The only mag I have that will take 10 rounds is the one with a 10-8 basepad on it. Their 14 round mags are the same way, only allowing 13.

ruchik
07-11-12, 21:20
Unfortunately, it happens with all 4 of my mags. The top rounds in all of them, when inserted into the gun with the slide forward, get dented. There is almost no additional give to the follower/spring when the mag is fully loaded with 10.

M_Rapp
07-25-12, 16:38
My brother recently moved to California. He left his M&P9L (with standard mags) in WA but is planning to take it back to Cali with him this fall. From what I can find on line he can not take the 17 round capacity mags with him. Am I correct? Where can a guy find him a few 10 round capacity ones to take back with him? (We'll just leave the 17 ones in WA).

Thanks!

m03
07-25-12, 18:21
From what I can find on line he can not take the 17 round capacity mags with him. Am I correct?

He can take them if he disassembles them and keeps them disassembled for the duration of his stay.

RifleGear may have the 10rd. mags available.

sobiloff
07-25-12, 18:37
I get my M&P mags from 44mag.com.

Previous poster is correct: You can have the 11+ round mags as long as you don't assemble them in-state.

M_Rapp
07-25-12, 19:57
I think I'll just take the 17s to Alaska.. :)

Checked both places on the 10s. No luck.. Did sign up on 44mag to be notified when they receive stock..