PDA

View Full Version : My First Build (Spikes and PSA)

Nick504
07-11-12, 17:43
This is my first AR build, but I've done a lot of research prior to picking each one of my components. I was on a budget, so my goal was to get a rifle that was good quality at a decent price. (Enter PSA and Spike's) It's mainly for the range, but will double as my primary weapon should I have the need for it. I'm pleased with both the Spikes and PSA parts on this rig.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2431.jpg

Upper specs:

-PSA 16" medium profile Mid-length CL MP Premium Upper (4150 cmv) with MOE handguard, minus bcg and CH.
-BCM bcg (PSA was out of stock at the time, so I figured why not get one of the best available. I also did not want to skimp on this part).
-BCM mod 4 charging handle (since this is a part that gets a lot of use, I wanted to go better than stock)
-Magpul gen 2 rear sight (quality but not overly expensive)
-Primary Arms M3 multi reticle red dot sight (based on reviews on this site and others, I opted for this quality but lower priced sight). It holds zero perfectly and the brightness settings are sufficient. Reticles are crisp and the dot is nice, round and small.....not just a red blob.
-Magpul rvg
-Phantom 5c2 flash suppressor
-Spike's punisher/american flag dust cover (don't make fun of me, I got it because I liked it, and it actually closes MUCH easier than the one supplied with the PSA upper. So, it actually turned out to be a FUNCTIONAL upgrade. :D

Lower specs:
-Spike's Tactical stripped lower
-PSA lpk (after polishing the contact surfaces it has a very crisp trigger pull with NO creep).
-MOE trigger guard and MOE plus grip (I love the rubbery feel of this grip)
-PSA MOE mil spec stock kit
-Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer
-KNS precision gen2 mod2 anti roll trigger and hammer pins (just for some extra insurance. It also helped a little with the nice trigger pull)
-I painted the semi, auto, and safe pictograms myself. It actually looks much better in person. :cool:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2428-1.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2429.jpg

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2453.jpg

I know that some have had problems with PSA having misaligned feed ramps. Mine are perfect, as shown in the attached pictures (Note my CZ 75 P-01 lurking in the shadows ;) ).

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2477.jpg
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2479.jpg

And here's the family:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2436.jpg

I brought this gun out to the range only once, but it was enough for me to know that I love this rifle. I used M855 green tip with no malfunctions. It shoots pretty soft and I was able to get .75" three shot groups with iron sights at 50 yards. (Not bad for a new shooter I guess) I shot a little better with the red dot. Sighting in was simple, especially since the magpul mbus came sighted in already. Overall, I found that all parts of this rifle complement each other very well. I am more than pleased.

docsherm
07-11-12, 20:16
Pics do not work.

Nick504
07-11-12, 20:23
Check it now, I think I fixed it. Sorry about that.

fallenromeo
07-12-12, 10:53
Not bad for a first rifle. You won't get a lot of praise for your choice of parts, but the BCG and CH are at least top notch. Do you mind me asking what you got the whole thing for less the red dot?

C4IGrant
07-12-12, 10:57
You know that PSA and ST don't get along right?? :D

C4

BrigandTwoFour
07-12-12, 12:08
You know that PSA and ST don't get along right?? :D

C4

Is that like crossing the streams?

OP, go have fun with it. Buy tons of ammo and go practice!

C4IGrant
07-12-12, 12:15
Is that like crossing the streams?

OP, go have fun with it. Buy tons of ammo and go practice!

LOL, yes exactly!

The weapon will self destruct upon firing.

C4

Nick504
07-12-12, 12:52
I don't know too much about the social relationship between these two companies, but I do know that it shoots beautifully. So, these two companies get along VERY well on my rifle. I couldn't care less about any of that other stuff. ;)

I was initially going to get a Spike's upper as well, but finding one in stock proved to be nearly impossible. I didn't intentionally build a rifle with a different upper and lower, that's just the way it worked out. So, admittedly, PSA was my second choice. I don't have any regrets now though. After putting it all together and test driving it, I love it.

I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it since I did it with individual pieces, but I do know it was under $1,000.

As far as my choices of equipment on this rig, it all came pretty highly recommended based on the research I have done. Even though it's not in the Big 3 or 4 of brand names, I believe my rifle is quality where it counts. (FN barrel and BCM bcg to name a couple) I don't expect to have ANY problems with it if I maintain it properly. :cool:

Thanks for the responses guys.

WNY_Whitetailer
07-12-12, 13:36
Looks like you've got a nice rifle there. Have fun and shoot a ton of rounds through it. I like it and I like Spikes and PSA...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Mauser KAR98K
07-12-12, 16:02
Nice weapon. Very KISS and good for the budget in this economy.

Use the money you save on ammo, and get a better quality optic mount. In my view and budget rifle is meant to save money for ammo and quality accessories that make the weapon better.

polymorpheous
07-12-12, 16:20
Thanks for sharing and explaining why you choose that parts you did.

FWIW, one can put together a 100% BCM carbine for $917.

Also, the Magpul MBUS was not presighted for you.
Do a search on mechanical zero.

Have fun with your new rifle.

Nick504
07-12-12, 17:05
@polymorpheous-- I don't fully understand the "mechanical zero" concept. What I meant by that was that the factory middle position for windage on the magpul mbus, coupled with the A2 front post factory elevation position was poa poi. I didn't touch either one and it was right on.

I know that I probably could have gotten a basic BCM carbine for around the same price, but I still would have had to spend money on MOE handguard, Magpul rear sight, magpul rvg, MOE stock, trigger guard, etc, etc....MY cost was with 200 rounds of ammo to bring to the range. FWIW, I could have put together a basic PSA mid-length for $672.84. The point is, I got a few upgrades and many extras to configure my rifle the way I wanted it all for under $1000, (minus the red dot of course) which was my goal when I started this build.

As I said before, I believe that my rifle is of sufficient quality where it counts. I'm happy with it at least.:D

Nick504
07-12-12, 20:32
@Mauser and Whitetailer, I appreciate it guys. Yeah, I may wind up getting a more quality mount, but I'll stick with this one for now as long as it stays tight and holds its position. Time will tell.

munch520
07-12-12, 21:02
Go confirm your zeros (Irons and RDS independently) and go shoot it and enjoy!

Use the money you save on ammo, and get a better quality optic mount. In my view and budget rifle is meant to save money for ammo and quality accessories that make the weapon better.

Agreed. OP I'd save to get another RDS that'll be more reliable. If you have the time, I did a write-up recently to give an example of how inexpensively Aimpoints can be found ($2xx). If you're not opposed to buying used, it's actually not much more $ than a Primary Arms, Barska, Vortex, etc.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=373104

Nick504
07-12-12, 21:30
I actually already did confirm my zeroes on my range trip last week. I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I actually really like the sight picture with the magpul mbus and A2 front post.

As far as the Primary Arms sight, I probably won't replace it until it gives me reason to. I realize it's not as good as some others, but if it treats me right, I'll keep it on my gun. It has held zero thus far and 450 hours of continuous run time on a medium setting is all I need. (Info I obtained from the owner of the company) I also like the multi reticle set up on it.

I respect your opinion and know that a better sight is always a good idea, it's just not in the cards for me right now. My brother in law who's in the army said he may be able to get me a used acog with the fiber optic set up. If that happens, then AWESOME. If not, the P.A. sight will stay. And to me, that's not a bad thing.:)

yellow50
07-12-12, 21:30
+ 1 to what munch said about finding them cheap. I think it was him that turned me onto a aimpoint M3 for 250 with a KAC mount. Btw I don't think I ever did thank you for that Munch. Many thanks.

munch520
07-12-12, 21:41
+ 1 to what munch said about finding them cheap. I think it was him that turned me onto a aimpoint M3 for 250 with a KAC mount. Btw I don't think I ever did thank you for that Munch. Many thanks.

Happy to help bud. My thread was in no way intended to take business from the great vendors that are contributing members on this and other sites. But when finances are in a pinch, it seems like optics are what some folks skimp on. It was just a suggestion/alternative to those who can't stomach the price of one new.

Nick504
07-12-12, 21:45
I appreciate it man, I may go the route of purchasing a used Aimpoint for my next build. But that may be a while.

CodeRed30
07-13-12, 20:55
Sweet build man. My first build was on a Spike's lower! How do you like the flash suppressor?

Nick504
07-13-12, 22:49
Thanks man! I really like this flash suppressor. I can't see any flash coming out of it, and it will do some damage in a CQB situation. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool. :cool:

pisc1024
07-14-12, 18:54
Nice clean and simple, what's not to like? Sounds like a good set up for you. I just ordered an upper from bravo co for a similar kiss build of my own.

Nick504
07-14-12, 21:44
@pisc1024, thanks man. That's kinda what I was thinking. Good luck on your build. Are you going all BCM or just the upper? My next setup will more than likely be BCM as well. Probably a 14.5" carbine length.

pisc1024
07-14-12, 21:51
@pisc1024, thanks man. That's kinda what I was thinking. Good luck on your build. Are you going all BCM or just the upper? My next setup will more than likely be BCM as well. Probably a 14.5" carbine length.

I have BCM upper with a spikes lower. On this build I'm going for the same thing you have going with yours, I just want a simple rifle that shoots reasonably well, and is reliable. It wouldn't hurt if the thing was light weight too.
I was thinking of a 14.5 on this one, but opted to go for the 16". I think the 14.5 would be really nice too.

kmrtnsn
07-14-12, 21:56
Nick,

Just a suggestion, but when you find where on the handguard you want to keep the RFG, that you use the short piece of rail it came with to mount it. It'll be a whole bunch more comfortable to shoot. That or swap to the MOE specific MFG.

K

Bizzarolibe
07-15-12, 21:19
Those are some top notch components. Nice rifle. I have a Spikes/PSA combo as well but it's reversed; my upper is Spikes, lower is PSA.

There are just two things I would change (besides the optic, but I think you've already addressed that).

1) I would move the MBUS back to the last slot on your top rail. It'll just give you that much more sight radius.

2) Exchange the RVG for the MVG.

But these are some pretty minor points. In any case, enjoy the rifle.

Nick504
07-19-12, 12:41
I appreciate the suggestions guys. I think I will try to move my rear sight back to the farthest setting. Initially I thought it might get in the way of pulling back the charging handle, but with the BCM mod 4, there is plenty to grab. The more sight radius the better.

I also think I will transition back to the small rail piece the vertical grip came with. Now that I'm getting a feel for the rifle, I'm finding out that I like to shoot it with my thumb on top of the handguard and my middle and pointer fingers below the handguard with my ring and pinky fingers on the vertical grip itself. (I guess you would call that the thumb break method) With all that said, the long rail piece is a bit uncomfortable given the way I shoot the rifle.

Thanks again guys!

Nick504
07-19-12, 12:57
@pisc1024, that's sounds like a good combination. :cool:

Nick504
07-20-12, 13:53
Alright fellas, I took your advice and made those changes. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking already, so thanks for that. Here it is now:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2584.jpg

Long rail piece removed:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2585.jpg

MBUS moved back as far as possible:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2586.jpg

And I did use the rail piece I took off. I may mount a light here:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2592.jpg[/IMG]

I also added a single point sling adapter:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p579/Nick0383/100_2596.jpg

Overall, the feel of the rifle is better now and more comfortable. And I do like the longer sight radius, even if it's just a little more.

Bizzarolibe
07-20-12, 14:58
Very nice. I like it. Do you have an idea of what kind of light you want to put on it?

Nick504
07-20-12, 15:21
I was thinking about a set up kind of like this:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/theshorelinemarket_2217_3286601938

I'm not sure what brand light I want yet. Maybe a Streamlight Polytac.

mvician
07-20-12, 15:43
Looks like a solid shooter. I built one very similar to yours except with the PSA M4 Madness upper.

Nick504
07-20-12, 19:36
@mvician, how did that m4 madness upper work out for you? I'm curious about it myself.

mvician
07-20-12, 20:23
@mvician, how did that m4 madness upper work out for you? I'm curious about it myself.

Worked out fine, FSB is straight, M4 extensions are aligned, it is a very nice upper. I also got the PSA BCG a week later and the MBUS rear sight on sale from PSA.

Have only had the time to run 150 rounds through it so far, (Wolf poly and lacquer 55gr stuff). Just got 500 rounds of the MFS 55gr PSA from PSA today, plan to burn it up Tuesday on my day off at the range.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/Spikes%20and%20Palmetto%20State%20Armory/P1160769.jpg

Nick504
07-20-12, 20:31
I'm glad to hear it. I know that I've been thrilled with my PSA upper. Mine kind of looks like the mid length version of yours.:D Looks good man.

pisc1024
07-20-12, 23:45
@pisc1024, that's sounds like a good combination. :cool:

Yea I just got the upper in yesterday and it looks nice. I am going out this weekend to shoot it. :)

Nick504
07-21-12, 00:06
Well, have fun man. I may make a trip to the range this weekend myself if this rain holds off. It's been raining a lot down south lately.

Frag Out Inc
08-11-12, 15:21
How well do you like the sighting system from primary arms? I have heard a lot of great things about the company but I have not personally purchased anything from them. Does it hold zero good even when thrown in range bag and behind the seat or where ever your store it?

Nick504
08-11-12, 16:16
I normally just keep it mounted on my rifle which stays in my rifle case when not in use. My experiences with the Primary Arms sight are that it holds zero well and the brightness levels are more than sufficient for outdoors. I haven't tested the sight to see if it keeps the same zero between the different reticles since I only use one of them. Also something else to mention....the red dot seems a little smaller than 2 moa, and I like that about this sight. I think this sight is a high value sight that would serve you well.

10-76
08-15-12, 18:10
Nice work Nick

Nick504
08-18-12, 12:23
@10-76, thanks! I'm enjoying it.

Ghostrider54
12-25-12, 18:11
I ended up building almost the same setup PSA upper with Spikes lower, MOE, BCM bolt group and charging handle.

I went to range this past Saturday for the first time but only shot 120 rounds due to the craziness going on now with everything being out of stock. I started ordering all the parts right after thanksgiving so I was lucky to get everything I needed and at that price. Forget it now finding anything.

Nick504
01-08-13, 22:03
@Ghostrider54, sounds like we both have good taste. Let's just hope and pray things get better. I need tons of ammo, but can't find any.