PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical vs Rock River Arms?

338 Lapua
07-12-12, 14:19
I'm assembling my lower and when i was searching for Lower Part Kits I came across Spikes Tactical's "Enhanced LPK" and RRA's "LPK w/ National Match Trigger." Any advice? :blink:

Spikes Tactical

Rock River Arms

SpankMonkey
07-12-12, 14:26
Both are shit, but I would trust the Spikes more. RRA can suck a bag of **cks.

SomeOtherGuy
07-12-12, 14:28
What is your goal? Both of those are more expensive with nonstandard parts, but their triggers are different from each other. The Spike's has a coated GI trigger which has a bit less creep but is otherwise standard, while the RRA has their proprietary 2-stage trigger which is good on a good day but can have durability issues (possibly ?? recently fixed) on a bad day.

Take a look at the G&R LPK:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GRT-LPK

The option with the G2S would compare to the RRA but be better in all ways, while the option with the QMS or ACT would compare to the Spike's but again be better.

If you want just a standard LPK, PSA has a LPK which is a very good deal for standard type parts. (There was a sale last week that was a steal, but apparently that's done.)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts.html

HKBanger
07-12-12, 14:49
I'd go Spikes over the RRA any day of the week. The Spikes trigger is nothing too special but still nice. The RRA 2 stage triggers have been known to have some durability issues as mentioned above and I honestly don't trust anything branded Rock River Arms. Plus, why give a shit company like RRA more business than they already get?

Between Spikes and RRA, regardless of the actual product - I'd go Spikes every time.

badness
07-12-12, 14:52
i'd go with spikes. Overall, i hear less problems from people who own spikes than from people who own rra products.

fallenromeo
07-12-12, 15:19
I would go Spikes. I had a RRA 2-stage trigger for about a week and didn't like it. So I sold it and upgraded to a Geissele SSA. I wasn't impressed with the RRA trigger. I don't have experience with Spikes LPK, but I had one of the BCG in a previous rifle and it always served well. I imagine their coated GI trigger would be just fine.

Nightvisionary
07-12-12, 15:24
Both are shit, but I would trust the Spikes more. RRA can suck a bag of **cks.

What do you base your opinion of Spikes on? Can you articulate your statement on a more objective level.

SpankMonkey
07-12-12, 15:32
What do you base your opinion of Spikes on? Can you articulate your statement on a more objective level.

I really don't need to. It's well known that Spikes LPKs have soft metal. Think DPMS. They just don't last in the long run. They are affordable and many people buy and build with them for the price point.

VaeVictis
07-12-12, 15:37
Stay away from RRA, especially their 2-stage triggers. I had one that crapped out in less than 1k rounds, and it is a fairly common occurence with them. I prefer not to give my money to any company that is ok with putting out sub par products.

cthompson36
07-12-12, 15:39
look into palmetto state armory. I have that and love it.

Warpiper
07-12-12, 16:09
Spike's all the way.

(and I've never heard anything bad about Spike's LPK metal either)

Noodles
07-12-12, 16:44
I've had bad experiences with both.

I'd go Spikes, but you'd really have to be putting a non-Spikes/RRA gun to my head.... If it were a spikes or RRA gun to my head, I'd still be a little defiant. :p

kisskaren
07-12-12, 16:50
I'm assembling my lower and when i was searching for Lower Part Kits I came across Spikes Tactical's "Enhanced LPK" and RRA's "LPK w/ National Match Trigger." Any advice? :blink:

Spikes Tactical

Rock River Arms

I will never buy RRA LPK again!!!:suicide:

lunchbox
07-12-12, 16:57
There is a thread in here about how RRA trigger falts can be traced back to aftermarket trigger being placed in other manf. lower and pins conforming to specs of said lower, then after time going to sh!t.
So if gonna buy RRA trigger, better be sure and get it in RRA lower from RRA....or get LPK from Grant!!!!

EDIT** https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60395&highlight=RRA+match+triggers&page=2 I can't find the one mentioned above, this is one thread tho..

Moltke
07-12-12, 16:57
I'd say to buy G&R but they're out of stock...

KCBRUIN
07-12-12, 17:05
I say buy the Daniel Defense lower parts kit over either of those, but it's about $20 more.

kisskaren
07-12-12, 17:10
Any comments about PSA's LPK? They are selling $68.50 for a LPK+MOE plus grip.

Nytcrawler93
07-12-12, 17:13
There is nothing wrong with Spikes. RRA is known as shit. There is some anti Spikes bias and I understand why but it has nothing to do with LPK quality. Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, and BCM, all are pretty good at whatever they do.

Hmac
07-12-12, 17:19
I had an RRA National Match Trigger in a Stag I gave to my son a couple of years ago. I didn't care for the trigger at all and it's since been replaced with a Giessele SSA, which I have on all of my other rifles and have found to be a great trigger.

Tarbell
07-12-12, 17:25
Spike's uses KNS Precision Turned Lower Parts and they have spiral roll pins...I don't consider this low quality junk, although RRA also has spiral roll pins and I have no idea where the other parts of the Spike's LPK come from.

masakari
07-12-12, 17:29
Spikes is good to go, but in my experience, their selectors are wobbly as hell. But like i said, otherwise good to go.

munch520
07-12-12, 17:43

Then I say wait, and buy a LPK from Grant when it's in stock. Of course 'waiting' is a notion that is less and less popular with the impulsiveness that runs rampant today.

Magic_Salad0892
07-12-12, 17:48
You can get a Colt LPK at Specialized Armament.

Grease Monkey
07-12-12, 18:05
Of the two, Spikes. RRA is a no go.

VIP3R 237
07-12-12, 18:20
Like many here have stated, if possible buy a G&R, colt, or daniel defense lpk first, if you cant find any or dont want to wait then go for the spikes, and never ever go with the rra shit.

Nightvisionary
07-12-12, 19:07
I really don't need to. It's well known that Spikes LPKs have soft metal. Think DPMS. They just don't last in the long run. They are affordable and many people buy and build with them for the price point.

Where are you getting your information from? Do you have a factual basis or any actual first hand user reports you can post a link to to support your statements?

I and many others here have run Spikes products hard through several thousands of rounds without a single issue. I have one Spikes lower that has performed double duty on a 5.56 and 6x45 for well over 5K rounds without a single malfunction.

Without any evidence to back up your wild assertions I as a first hand user find them without merit.

VaeVictis
07-12-12, 20:07
Any comments about PSA's LPK? They are selling $68.50 for a LPK+MOE plus grip.

I've used a Palmetto State LPK and I was quite surprised with the quality, and the trigger feels great for a standard GI too. Although it seems with any brand GI triggers are kind of luck of the draw.

doubletap2211
07-12-12, 20:38
Where are you getting your information from? Do you have a factual basis or any actual first hand user reports you can post a link to to support your statements?

I and many others here have run Spikes products hard through several thousands of rounds without a single issue. I have one Spikes lower that has performed double duty on a 5.56 and 6x45 for well over 5K rounds without a single malfunction.

Without any evidence to back up your wild assertions I as a first hand user find them without merit.

Agreed. I'd go with Spikes. I have a few thousand rounds through my Spikes with the enhanced LPK. Its GTG based on my first hand use.

SpankMonkey
07-12-12, 21:07

Well after doing a little research it looks like Mike has changed his product.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-kit-spikes-standard-parts-kit-p-421.html

Read: Spikes even says the LPK is not a re-branded DPMS kit.

I have three of his early kits, 2 from from 2006 and 1 from 2007. Two of those rifles are starting to act up. This is personal experience. As I said think DPMS.

I'm not raging on Spikes. I answered the OPs question, of the two I would use Spikes.

C4IGrant
07-12-12, 21:19

Just ran out. More available 8/9/12.

C4

devinsdad
07-12-12, 23:21
As someone that actually has and uses both, I've yet to have a failure of any type with either. If it was actually true that either LPK was "soft", "out of spec" or any other issue, the internet would have banished them to the point where youl'd only be able to buy one from the Blackthorn site. If I was only able to buy one I'd opt for the Spikes. I like the fact they use KNS precision detents and I believe takedown pins.

Nightvisionary
07-12-12, 23:24
Well after doing a little research it looks like Mike has changed his product.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-kit-spikes-standard-parts-kit-p-421.html

Read: Spikes even says the LPK is not a re-branded DPMS kit.

I have three of his early kits, 2 from from 2006 and 1 from 2007. Two of those rifles are starting to act up. This is personal experience. As I said think DPMS.

I'm not raging on Spikes. I answered the OPs question, of the two I would use Spikes.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response.;)

TacticalSledgehammer
07-13-12, 00:16
I had a spike's tactical parts kit that had a defective mag release. Plus it has the roughest trigger out of any mfg I've felt.

DDamn
07-13-12, 00:43
My spikes lpk trigger has surprisingly little creep and a respectably light pull for a gi trigger. And if there is any over travel I don't notice it. I have fired a heavilly worn in bushmaster..and a stock stag..those are the only things I can compare them to..so take it for what it is, limited experience.

Edit. I also have my ak..which has creep for miles..a moderately heavy pull and slight over travel.

338 Lapua
07-13-12, 11:08
So is the G&R LPK good or bad because i like the customizable option? :confused:

Bizzarolibe
07-13-12, 11:43
Actual Spikes LPK owner here. The selector is crisp and it has the crispiest mil-spec trigger I've ever used, although I realize I got lucky with that. But yeah, no problems here.

SomeOtherGuy
07-13-12, 12:03
So is the G&R LPK good or bad because i like the customizable option? :confused:

It's one of the highest quality LPK on the market, and the ability to customize is gravy.

TehLlama
07-13-12, 12:04
It's worth the wait for the G&R w/ G2S.

The RRA triggers I've had were durability liabilities, and even if they're fixed, you're getting a better quality trigger for the same price.

justin_247
07-13-12, 14:42
I have dealt with Spike's LPKs from 2010 and I've been very impressed. There's little creep and the break is very clean.

Spike's told me that LPKs purchased from them 3+ yrs ago were made by DPMS - they have since moved to another manufacturer. This is the time period when they finally "got a clue" and started improving their products, most likely as a result of the proliferation of Rob Sloyer's AR chart.

I have a DD lower with their LPK that is also quite nice, but it has a little more creep than the Spike's. That said, I'd trust it with my life.

That said, probably the best kit you can buy is from G&R Tactical - I have two of them.

orbie
07-13-12, 15:13
+1 for PSA.

I know several people that have used their LPKs and other products. Good brand and good cs.

C4IGrant
07-13-12, 16:07
It's worth the wait for the G&R w/ G2S.

The RRA triggers I've had were durability liabilities, and even if they're fixed, you're getting a better quality trigger for the same price.

Thanks. The G2S is a HUGE deal (as you cannot buy this trigger alone) and I consider it to be the best trigger on the market for the money.

What is amazing to me is that people spend another $50 for the SSA and for me, there is no difference.

C4

VIP3R 237
07-13-12, 16:13
I'd wait for the G&R, Grant is top notch guy (obviously) and IIRC besides the trigger group his kits use primarily LMT components which are as good as it gets.