PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a cross draw vest?

soilent
07-12-12, 15:46
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a tactical cross draw vest to make shooting more convenient. It seems like there's a bunch of options out there, but what I'd really like is one that has MOLLE where the pistol holster is so I could put a Serpa holster onto it. Do these even exist? If not, just recommend me something cost effective. Something in the $50 range maybe? I'm not trying to go to war or anything, I just want to make hauling my gear easier. Thanks.

TxRaptor
07-12-12, 16:11
I've seen, handled, and owned a couple in the past. Something in that price range screams airsoft vest but if you are not intending to use it for life threatening/life saving work or needs then I don't see why you could not use one.

I know Condor (http://www.condoroutdoor.com/cv_cross_draw_vest.aspx)(sometimes called OE Tech) makes a cross draw vest along with UTG and a few others. Quality is ok, moderate at best. With use, the seams will begin to unravel. The Condor version has a removable "universal" holster which is pretty useless. Upon removal, there are angled molle which you could then mount a molle adapter for a Blackhawk Serpa or any other molle pistol holster.

badness
07-12-12, 16:52
$50 cross draw vest? I don't think even condor or voodoo tactical airsoft grade stuff is as low as $50. For quality gear, the holster by itself would cost around $50 or more.

Edit: You might want to just go with a plate carrier or molle vest. You can set up mag pouches and holster any way you feel like it. You will be spending more than $50 though...

TxRaptor
07-12-12, 17:16
$50 cross draw vest? I don't think even condor or voodoo tactical airsoft grade stuff is as low as $50.

It is possible to meet his budget(or pretty close to it), he just needs to use some coupon codes from these guys: http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_96&products_id=1286

gunnut284
07-13-12, 15:21
Don't.

Get a quality OWB holster and learn to use it. Use a decent belt. Vests are not more convenient and crossdraw on a vest is even worse (with very few specialized exceptions). For range use look at a Safariland 6377/6378 holster.

SWATcop556
07-13-12, 17:26
A cross draw vest is about as gay as AIDS. A little research would show you the flaws in crossdraw anything. Get a good belt and a quality holster and for God's sake stay away from Condor, Craphawk, Sherpa, Voodoo, or airsoft anything.

I will say there are very very very very specific situations were crossdraw is a viable option but they do not apply to 99.9999% of the shooters out there.

cmoore
07-13-12, 18:29
A cross draw vest is about as gay as AIDS. A little research would show you the flaws in crossdraw anything. Get a good belt and a quality holster and for God's sake stay away from Condor, Craphawk, Sherpa, Voodoo, or airsoft anything.

I will say there are very very very very specific situations were crossdraw is a viable option but they do not apply to 99.9999% of the shooters out there.

^^^THIS...+ bazzillions^^^...

TehLlama
07-13-12, 20:50
Don't.

I have some really nice ones I can sell you for cheap, but I won't. They are poor holsters, mediocre vests, and making it worse by stacking a SERPA into it is just disaster waiting to happen.

For the money - buy a Safariland (6004) to replace your Serpa, and then buy some decent tactical pants that you can use the top and back pockets to hold magazines. I'm not kidding, but it's a vastly better use of your money - I'd done both previously, I still have a box with old crossdraw vests, and I've gotten to where I won't even subject my airsoft guns to serpa holsters, they're that bad.

duece71
07-13-12, 23:58
Check out Hill People Gear, they have some very nice stuff.

http://hillpeoplegear.com/

No cross draw type stuff, the chest rigs may be what you are looking for. Good luck.

El Cid
07-14-12, 19:51
A few guys I work with have their BUG (think G26/27/30) cross draw on their MOLLE armor carriers. But it's specifically for use when we are sitting in our vehicles. They also use Safariland ALS holsters - not Craphawk Serpas.

For a full size pistol I'd agree with the others in this thread - don't do it.