PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Factory SBR

Navymid2011
07-12-12, 17:49
All,

So I'm looking at buying an SBR since I find myself in a state that is extremely SBR friendly (Mississippi) and will be stationed here long enough for the paperwork to go through.

There is a local dealer who said he could order me a Colt 6933 and help me complete all the paperwork. I just want to make sure that I know ALL of the restrictions and paperwork required before I take the plunge and wait 4 months. This is especially important since I will be moving when I finish flight training, and don't want to be stuck with a weapon that I cannot take with me, and will have a hard time selling.

So, as I understand it, the steps are;

1. Purchase the Colt 6933 through the dealer.

2. Obtain the Forms (Form 4?) from the dealer, take it to the local sheriff's office to complete it and send it off to the ATF along with a one time $200 check.

3. Wait 4 - 6 months.

4. Take the tax stamp that I get from the ATF to the dealer, and pick up my SBR rifle.

Couple questions that I wasn't able to find answers to through searching.

1. If I buy a 6933, can I add a 14.5" upper at a later date, as long as I keep the 11.5" upper in my possession?

2. If I move to a non-SBR friendly state (Possible moves include Texas, Virginia, Washington State, California, I believe of these only California presents a problem.) could I store the weapon at my parent's house, as long as I notify the ATF?

3. Are there any big items that I am missing as far as the process? I feel like this is much simpler than building your own SBR and using a trust/engraving the lower etc...

Thanks for the help!!

Quiet-Matt
07-12-12, 18:06
1. If I buy a 6933, can I add a 14.5" upper at a later date, as long as I keep the 11.5" upper in my possession?

Yes, you can attach any upper and its not considered a "permanent" change as long as you still possess the 11.5 and can put it back to its original length. If you sell the 11.5 and go with a different length, you will need to notify the ATF.

Hmac
07-12-12, 18:36
2. Obtain the Forms (Form 4?) from the dealer, take it to the local sheriff's office to complete it and send it off to the ATF along with a one time $200 check.

Step 2 has a few sub-steps:

-assumes that you can get the Form 4 from your dealer. Fine if he has them, but you can also order them on line from ATF, or you can download a Form 4 from ATF and fill it out electronically, then print it out. Make sure you print it out on both sides of one sheet of paper. That form is available here http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf

-You will need one copy of a Certificate of Compliance. Available at http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

-You will need two of the standard FBI fingerprint cards and they will need NFA Branches ORI number printed on them. Some Sheriff's Departments or county jails will already have blank ones, but you'll need to enter the correct ORI number. The ORI number for NFA Branch is WVATF0800. You can order those fingerprint cards with the ORI number pre-printed (as well as all the other forms) from http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/ . They're free, and they ship quickly.

-You'll need to get your fingerprints taken. Local police or Sheriff or jail can likely print you. May or may not cost you anything depending on local policy.

-You'll need two 2x2 passport photos, one each to attach to each of the two forms that you send.

-You'll need your local law enforcement officer (Sheriff or Chief of Police, and a few other officials are also permitted to sign this), to sign both forms that you've prepared. Make sure they sign in the correct spot. I had a Form 1 returned to me because the Sheriff's "authorized representative" signed in the wrong place.

NFA can be prickly about how the forms are filled out. There are some ways of filling the form out that the current crop of examiners might not allow.

Iraqgunz
07-12-12, 19:25
As far as moving goes, it is real simple. If you move you send NFA Branch a letter indicating the new address. If you go to a non-SBR state (Washington) you simply keep the lower locked up somewhere and drop a 16" upper on it and you are good to go.

In California you will need more mods and I suggest you leave it secured in another state. This is allowed as long as you are the only one who can access the safe.

If you add a 14.5" upper (not sure why) you will still have an SBR unless the flash hider is pinned into place.

CRAMBONE
07-12-12, 19:36
Columbus or Meridian?

Navymid2011
07-12-12, 23:30
Columbus or Meridian?

As far as moving goes, it is real simple. If you move you send NFA Branch a letter indicating the new address. If you go to a non-SBR state (Washington) you simply keep the lower locked up somewhere and drop a 16" upper on it and you are good to go.

In California you will need more mods and I suggest you leave it secured in another state. This is allowed as long as you are the only one who can access the safe.

If you add a 14.5" upper (not sure why) you will still have an SBR unless the flash hider is pinned into place.

Iraqgunz: If I were to move to Washington, could I give my dad the SBR upper, since he doesn't have any AR-15 parts (e.g. a lower), put a 16" upper on my SBR lower and call it good? Or is that not kosher? If I move to California I'll keep the rifle at my Home of Record, I guess in a case only I know the lock for.

Jason0311: Meridian

justlikeanyoneelse
07-13-12, 01:26
Yes you can, the sbr upper is considered a part not a firearm.

Iraqgunz: If I were to move to Washington, could I give my dad the SBR upper, since he doesn't have any AR-15 parts (e.g. a lower), put a 16" upper on my SBR lower and call it good? Or is that not kosher? If I move to California I'll keep the rifle at my Home of Record, I guess in a case only I know the lock for.

Jason0311: Meridian

dtibbals
07-13-12, 14:50
Plan on waiting more than 4-6 months. You should be prepared for 7-8 months plus. The NFA branch is very backed up and it's getting worse.

az doug
07-13-12, 15:29

4. Take the tax stamp that I get from the ATF to the dealer, and pick up my SBR rifle.

The dealer will receive the Form 4 with the stamp attached from ATF. He will notify you when the gun is ready for transfer.

Hmac
07-13-12, 16:05
Plan on waiting more than 4-6 months. You should be prepared for 7-8 months plus. The NFA branch is very backed up and it's getting worse.

That doesn't appear to be true. This data compiled from NFAtracker.com

http://www.randominfo.net/NFA/WaitTimeTrend_20120629.png

et2041
07-14-12, 07:18
That doesn't appear to be true. This data compiled from NFAtracker.com

http://www.randominfo.net/NFA/WaitTimeTrend_20120629.png

I heard this also. My understanding is that they brought in "Assistant Examiners" to help out.

usmcvet
07-14-12, 16:50
You could do a trust too and have your Dad as a trustee.

usmcvet
07-14-12, 16:53
The 6933 is a very good choice by the way.

filthy phil
07-14-12, 17:08
texas is cool with sbr, sbs, and all other nfa items. (i had a sbr uzi and sbs 870.)
fyi

07-14-12, 20:00
6933 is the shit. Of course, judging by my handle, I like them, but there has been enough verification that they are the gold standard.

usmcvet
07-14-12, 21:45
6933 is the shit. Of course, judging by my handle, I like them, but there has been enough verification that they are the gold standard.

Don't listen to him! He gets royalty payments every time 6933 is mentioned. :D

Navymid2011
07-16-12, 00:11
Well, I've got my research knocked out and am taking the plunge. Thanks for all the help, guys!!

07-16-12, 10:29
Don't listen to him! He gets royalty payments every time 6933 is mentioned. :D

LOL; I wish. My 2yr. old is expensive! Feel free to send some diapers my way. Not yours, but childrens.:D

usmcvet
07-16-12, 10:56
LOL; I wish. My 2yr. old is expensive! Feel free to send some diapers my way. Not yours, but childrens.:D

I hear ya. Mine are 4, 6 & 9.

OP

If you can swing it buy two. The waiting sucks the more than the money, if you've got extra. And a spare is always nice.

nickh46
07-16-12, 11:16
I'm also taking the plunge on a Factory SBR (DD Mk18) myself. This is great gouge.

Navymid, congrats on getting Jets. Enjoy Meridian. :cool:

Navymid2011
08-03-12, 17:00
Thanks! Meridian is great so far. It's actually pretty hard to find a place to shoot around here though.

Ordered the rifle, but now the wait begins...and I haven't even begun the NFA paperwork yet since my dealer hasn't got the weapon in yet. Sigh.

Second question is whether or not a trust is a good idea. The store is pushing me towards a $450 trust lawyer here, which I'm not 100% sold on. The CLEO here will sign off on an SBR, so what is the great benefit of having a trust? I just don't want to chance getting in trouble due to a legality in the trust paperwork.

justlikeanyoneelse
08-03-12, 17:43
Do you plan on owning more NFA items in the future, avoid fingerprinting/photo process, and allowing other people to use your NFA items in your absence? If not its a waste of money.

Hmac
08-03-12, 19:12
Thanks! Meridian is great so far. It's actually pretty hard to find a place to shoot around here though.

Ordered the rifle, but now the wait begins...and I haven't even begun the NFA paperwork yet since my dealer hasn't got the weapon in yet. Sigh.

Second question is whether or not a trust is a good idea. The store is pushing me towards a $450 trust lawyer here, which I'm not 100% sold on. The CLEO here will sign off on an SBR, so what is the great benefit of having a trust? I just don't want to chance getting in trouble due to a legality in the trust paperwork.

With a trust, any of the named trustees can have possession of the weapon. Otherwise, you have to be there when anyone else shoots it. Additionally, it would make succession or inheritance a simpler matter. For me, there was no great benefit in having a trust so I elected to save the $500 and go the individual route. It took some driving around to get all the pieces put together...fill out the form, go get the passport photo, then drive over to the jail and get printed, then swing by the Sheriff's office and get the forms signed, then stop by the post office.

Navymid2011
08-04-12, 02:59
If I end up getting a trust down the road, could my previous NFA weapons be put into the trust, or is that a PITA?

LTMattyL
08-04-12, 03:40
If I end up getting a trust down the road, could my previous NFA weapons be put into the trust, or is that a PITA?

I believe that you must go through the trasfer process with another $200 stamp to move your individually registered NFA weapons to your trust.

usmcvet
08-04-12, 09:35
Correct, the transfer from you to the trust will be $200 and the wait. With the trust you can change trustees at a later date, adding and removing as necessary. My wife and son are trustees with me.