PDA

View Full Version : Colt Huntsman

platoonDaddy
07-13-12, 05:46
Dusted off father-in-laws Colt Huntsman and really enjoy shooting it. When the last round is fired, the slide doesn't lock open. Is this normal for the Huntsman?

okie john
07-13-12, 16:07
I think it should lock open. The Huntsman was a down-market Woodsman variant. They yse the same parts and mags, and disassemble the same way, but the Huntsman's finish and sights aren't as nice. Other than that, they should be the same.

If the follower and the slide latch aren't excessively worn where they meet, then a good cleaning should get your Huntsman working again. Old guns got lubed with some gnarly stuff over the years, and getting it out of the way can work wonders toward slicking them up.

Okie John

Dienekes
07-13-12, 21:30
My 1941 First Model Woodsman (basically the same pistol)doesn't lock back on the last shot.

Rayburn's little pocket reference lists the Huntsman in production from 1955-77 and as having no "automatic slide stop". He has a website on the Woodsman series pistols at www.eskimo.com/"rayburn/

I once tried to get ATF to let my agency keep a seized Huntsman for practice purposes. Some weasel decided against it and the gun was blown up with a block of C4 instead.

Hope the SOB was not allowed to breed.

CRAMBONE
07-13-12, 22:08
My 1941 First Model Woodsman (basically the same pistol)doesn't lock back on the last shot.

Rayburn's little pocket reference lists the Huntsman in production from 1955-77 and as having no "automatic slide stop". He has a website on the Woodsman series pistols at www.eskimo.com/"rayburn/

I once tried to get ATF to let my agency keep a seized Huntsman for practice purposes. Some weasel decided against it and the gun was blown up with a block of C4 instead.

Hope the SOB was not allowed to breed.

We did departments stop the practice of auctioning off confiscated firearms?

okie john
07-13-12, 22:17

I stand corrected.

Okie John