PDA

View Full Version : Review of the Kahr CW9

warpedcamshaft
07-14-12, 00:38
Recently, I have gotten my hands on a Kahr CW9. Few firearms get me excited enough to want to write a review detailing my thoughts. However, I figured I would take a crack at it for my own amusement and to inform those interested in the CW9 and weapons of similar size and price. I was extremely surprised and impressed with this unit and have not seen many detailed reviews regarding this particular weapon.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0106.jpg

This particular unit is fairly new, and was purchased recently (2012). I have had the opportunity to fire over 1000 rounds through this unit in a short period of time, and am extremely impressed by the value, accuracy, and reliability of the Kahr CW9 at this point in my experience. I also found it aesthetically pleasing and very comfortable to carry. Please understand, my review is based on a sample size of one weapon and I understand the limitations of a small sample size.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/SideCw91.jpg

Note: (Glock 19 appears in some photos for comparison purposes)

Reliability/Durability: 1000+ rounds downrange with this unit. I will list some types of ammunition fired below. The weapon has experienced no stoppages or malfunctions of any type. There have been several shooters who have put in time on this gun, both experienced and novice, with no stoppages or malfunctions. I realize that this is not an astronomical amount of ammunition, but I feel it is an adequate test for a review of a weapon that will serve as a backup or hot weather/deep cover concealment weapon. I have shot revolvers of similar price out of time and completely locked them up with fewer rounds. I am extremely convinced that this particular CW9 is reliable at this point in the game.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/Cw9Brass1.jpg

I have fired several types of hollow points (115, 124, and 147 grain) and many FMJ’s (115, 124, and 147) through this weapon. A bulk of my shooting was with 115 and 124 grain FMJ’s. Everything seems to feed and function well including reloads. My primary carry load at this juncture with this weapon will be 147 grain Golden Sabers because the 25 yard accuracy and point of impact works well for me.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0140.jpg

I can only speculate on durability, as 1000 rounds is not nearly enough to determine this. Others will need to chime in on this. My impression is that the weapon is very durable considering the price and size. If it catastrophically falls apart, I will post again and update the info.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0120.jpg

Due to the price point and size of this weapon, I consider comparison to the LC9 and PF9 to be acceptable. I understand the PF9 costs much less than the CW9, but the sizes are somewhat similar and I have decided to lump it in because it was available. The LC9 is a much more refined and durable firearm than the PF9 in my opinion and experience.

Trigger: I was pleasantly surprised by the trigger of the CW9. I enjoyed the physical appearance and feel of the trigger itself, with its stainless metallic look and smooth face. The actual trigger stroke is a long, mid weight, double action pull typical of these smaller single stack 9mm’s with a minor amount of stacking mid pull. The take up is very short and light, and the trigger is surprisingly easy to fire rapidly. Comparing this weapon directly to weapons like the Ruger LC9 and Kel-Tec PF9, I find the trigger much easier to manipulate at a rapid pace.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0135.jpg

During the course of my testing I fired many 5 and 1 drills (5 rounds A-zone IPSC or CSAT target followed by a round to the head at 7 yards, high ready position) from Paul Howe’s CSAT pistol standards in under 2.5 seconds (CSAT standard is under 3 seconds). The trigger is smooth and fast enough to rapidly stroke for fast shots. This drill can be difficult with sub compact single stack 9mm’s, but the CW9 is very easy to shoot considering the diminutive size of the weapon.

I have large hands and have to kick my trigger finger out slightly for optimal placement when firing two handed. However, when firing one handed, I place my finger deeper in the trigger to allow a stronger and more in-line grip with my big digits.

Ergonomics/Size: One aspect of the CW9 that I found exceptionally amiable was the grip profile and the ability to get my hand higher and closer to the boreline in comparison with the LC9 and PF9. I was also able to get a decent amount of my pinkie finger on the grip of the CW9. I was unable to place my pinkie on the grip of the LC9 or PF9 without the grip extensions, despite the fact that all three weapons are similar in height (4.5 inches for Kahr and Ruger, 4.3 inches for Kel-Tec). The weapon feels lower in the hand and more comfortable and controllable than the LC9 or PF9 in my hands. Both the PF9 and LC9 have a frame that prevents me from getting my hand as high on the firearm as I would like. My wife did exceptionally well with the CW9, and found the grip to be comfortable and almost perfect for her hands. I think this is a great weapon for my wife ergonomically. She noted how “snappy” the PF9 felt compared to the smoother recoil of the CW9.

The overall size of the CW9 is very comparable to the LC9. Both weapons are 4.5 inches tall, however the LC9 is a bit taller if you add the grip extension. The CW9 is 5.9 inches long, and the LC9 is 6 inches. The LC9 has a 3.12 inch barrel, while the CW9 has a 3.5 inch barrel. From my viewpoint, I’m getting a shorter weapon with a longer barrel and I feel that is a good thing. The LC9 and CW9 are listed as .90 inches wide.

The texturing on the grip is acceptable for a small carry gun. The sides are fairly smooth, but the texture on the front and back is fairly aggressive. I had some issues with slippage when firing one handed in high heat and humidity while bleeding (details later), but was still able to fire the weapon effectively. Perhaps the grip sides could be textured slightly more aggressively, although this may make carrying the weapon less comfortable with some holsters. Which brings me to my next point.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0109.jpg

I have carried the weapon concealed for a while and have found it to be comfortable against the skin, causing me no irritation on long hot days. Overall, it is a very comfortable weapon to carry and fire. I was able to fire a few hundred rounds in a fairly short range session with no discomfort. Two egregious ergonomic errors: 1: The top edges of the cocking serrations and corners near the ejection port are sharp enough to make you bleed, I was cut and bled while training with this weapon, which was quite enjoyable. 2: the slide stop edges (facing towards rear of slide) are sharp and I radiused them slightly with a file for comfort.

I think the controls work well. Mag release was never in the way of my grip and the slide stop was easy to use with either the support hand thumb or the strong hand thumb..

One other quick point: the slide stop is around 1.110 inches wide and requires a bit of care while re-holstering with certain holsters, as it can hang up. This width does not affect my comfort personally during concealed carry.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0118.jpg

Sights: The sights on this weapon work adequately well. The rear sight is metallic and has a white dash directly under the notch. The front sight is polymer and has a plain white dot. This configuration works well for me at 15 yard and closer, but I find it a bit distracting at 25 yards and out. I would prefer a bit narrower front sight when at 25 and further. Personally, I will be swapping out the polymer front for either a trijicon night sight or a dawson precision sight. I was also able to rack the slide off of my reinforced belt via the rear sight. Be very careful of the sharp angles around the ejection port while performing this action, as the sharp edges want to bite into flesh and fabric. I found the sights superior to the PF9 and LC9 in most cases. The front sight is pinned in, and the rear sight sits in a dovetail. I required no sight adjustment with the CW9 from the factory.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0116.jpg

Precision: This is where the CW9 really surprised me. I was able to put hits on steel plates at 65 yards with a bit of concentration. At average defensive ranges, the CW9 was obviously more than adequately precise. However, firing the CW9 at 25 yards is where I began to be extremely impressed. Firing 5 round groups offhand at 25 yards I was able to get repeatable sub 5 inch groups on B8’s (25 yard repair center) with some loads getting down to 4.3 inch groups. I have no doubt that the weapon would produce even tighter groups if I had fired from a ransom rest or a bench and bags. I consider this excellent precision for a weapon of this size and width. A narrower front sight would make this easier for me and my eyes.

4.3 Inch 25 yard B8:
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/B8tgt.jpg

4.9 inch 25 yard IDPA Head Zone:
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0139.jpg

Firing the LC9 at 25 yards was a bit more challenging than the CW9. I could hold reasonable groups (IDPA -0 zone), but the firing was slow paced to get the hits. The PF9 was not nearly as precise as the LC9 at 25 yards. I feel fairly confident that I was doing my part and was getting more C-zone hits than I would expect. The PF9 I was firing had an alarming amount of slide shake. It shook like an epileptic chihuahua crapping glass in Antarctica.

Magazine: This is one area where I was not as pleased with the CW9. The magazines appear well made and reliable, however the angle of the top round is very steep and rounds tend to slip off if moved around much due to the feed lip design. Get a good magazine pouch, and you will not have problems. My other gripe is in regards to the polymer base plate. The polymer base plate has a lip around the edge and protrudes farther than necessary. I took a knife and a file to a couple of them and cut the lip down. Kahr makes a metallic plate that would rectify this issue to some extent. I used the 7 and 8 round magazines for testing.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0145.jpg

Shootability: I am going to add a few points to illustrate the “shoot-ability” of this weapon. I was easily able to accomplish several drills that are much more difficult with the other weapons listed. For the concealment drills I list below, I used a t-shirt and a polo shirt both worn loose. I employ the “Hackathorn Rip” while wearing this type of garment. 7 yard headshots from concealment were consistently repeatable in the 1:75-1:80 range. Strong hand only drills (One hand Hack rip) at 7 yards to an IPSC a-zone were repeatable in the 1:90 - 2:25 range. These drills with the LC9 and PF9 were usually at least .15 to .25 seconds slower. They are simply more difficult guns to grip for me, and the CW9 allows me an extremely consistent grip for the size. One final drill I will list is the 6 round Bill Drill into a reduced A-zone at 6 yards from concealment. This drill comes from Kyle Defoor’s pistol standards and is a great indicator of controllability and concealed carry draw speed. With the CW9 I was able to run the drill several times in under 4 seconds (standard is 4.5). The PF9 and LC9 were much more difficult to fire as quickly or as accurately for me and the other shooters who attempted.

Final Thoughts: I am almost certain that I will be keeping this weapon long term unless I begin experiencing issues. I can easily conceal this weapon in almost any type of clothing and it is extremely comfortable on long days with just a t-shirt. The Kahr CW9 is getting some stout competition these days, but still remains a strong contender. Kahr has been in the business of making small guns for quite some time, and overall I am very impressed with the CW9.

A few things I like:
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0142.jpg

Glock 19 for size comparison.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0115.jpg

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w473/warpedcamshaft/DSC_0111.jpg

LDM
07-14-12, 07:40
Kahr 9mm magazines have gotten a lot of discussion and more than a little criticism in the last few months on the Kahr forum.
The stock follower is not flat; there is a break about halfway with the front half sloping down. The stock follower has legs extending front and rear, so there is no tilting. As more rounds are inserted into the mag, a gap forms between the front of the top rounds. This gap means the top round does not have uniform support and can be a bit unstable.
That is one of the contributing factors to what you saw in in round coming out of the magazine.
It can also result in a "second round dive" jam, which although not that common, is reported often with Kahr 9mm.
On the Kahr forum there have been a couple of "fixes" tried. The one that seems to help the most is re-profiling the top of the follower by filing or sanding it to a flatter profile thereby providing more support under the top round and reducing the gap.
I did this and it helped without any discernible problems.
I have the PM9 and am a big fan of Kahr. Not bashing, but this is a known issue.

dwhitehorne
07-14-12, 10:21
Thanks for taking the time to post your detailed review. I got a great deal on a CW9 two months ago and just started carrying mine a week ago. I have been carrying my duty weapons for 14 years and I guess I am getting lazy. When I started shooting the CW9, I was amazed at how slim and functional it feel to me so decided to qualify with it for off duty use. The only issue I read about that concerned me was the innability to sling shot the slide. I am use to using the slide release on my issue P2000 so it hasn't been an issue for me.

One question is how have the 8 round mags worked for you? My 7 rounders have been fine, but I have read about issues with the 8 round mags. I've been wanting to try some but have been reluctant to spend the $40 to try them out. David

warpedcamshaft
07-14-12, 10:57
One question is how have the 8 round mags worked for you? My 7 rounders have been fine, but I have read about issues with the 8 round mags. I've been wanting to try some but have been reluctant to spend the $40 to try them out. David

I purchased the 8 round magazines with the grip extension/extended floor plate. Everything seemed to work equally well for me personally. It does take a little more effort to seat the magazine properly, but reliability did not suffer.

Midway is currently running a sale on Kahr magazines through the end of July (2012), and is selling them for less than 30$.

Joe R.
07-14-12, 14:05
LDM, thanks for the info on the followers. This was one of the reasons I sold my PM9 several years ago as the top round would walk partway out of the mag while it was in my pocket...a show stopper for reloads under stress.

I was curious if they fixed the issue but apparently they have not.

Vegas
07-14-12, 18:28
Very nice write up, thanks. I didn't know about the magazine issue.

warpedcamshaft
07-14-12, 21:00
In my experience, using a purpose built magazine pouch for the Kahr magazines fixed the issue completely with rounds ejecting from the magazine. It was only when I threw a loaded magazine in my pocket or a poorly fitted mag carrier that I had an issue.

I tested many reloads from a properly fitted magazine pouch and had no issues from then on.

A leather sheath for a Buck 110 or 112 fits perfectly for those who need something inconspicuous.

Magsz
07-14-12, 22:39
The biggest gripe that i have is that my CW9 is collecting dust after getting a shield.

In my mind, the shield is superior in EVERY way.

Better trigger. (The CW9 has a VERY nice trigger but it has to be treated a little differently since the gun is essentially a revolver DOA trigger crammed into a semi auto).
Better ergo's.
Better magazines.
Better aftermarket options
Better design in regard to longevity
Better recoil impulse.
Better Magwell (easier to reload due to the magwell AND the mag design)

The CW9 is a GREAT weapon but it is easily outclassed by the shield. The only saving grace of the CW9 is that they can be found for 330ish dollars. I will also say i REALLY dig the slide release on the CW9 but that is hardly a reason to use a gun that you dont shoot as well as another.

Good review and nice pictures to the OP.

Mike169
07-15-12, 08:37
The biggest gripe that i have is that my CW9 is collecting dust after getting a shield.

In my mind, the shield is superior in EVERY way.

Better trigger. (The CW9 has a VERY nice trigger but it has to be treated a little differently since the gun is essentially a revolver DOA trigger crammed into a semi auto).
Better ergo's.
Better magazines.
Better aftermarket options
Better design in regard to longevity
Better recoil impulse.
Better Magwell (easier to reload due to the magwell AND the mag design)

The CW9 is a GREAT weapon but it is easily outclassed by the shield. The only saving grace of the CW9 is that they can be found for 330ish dollars. I will also say i REALLY dig the slide release on the CW9 but that is hardly a reason to use a gun that you dont shoot as well as another.

Good review and nice pictures to the OP.

I agree with completely, but my hangup with the shield is the manual safety. IMHO a manual safety has no business on a gun like that, who's purpose is a deep concealment "OH SHIT I NEED TO SHOOT SOMEONE NOW" gun. I have heard everyone say "oh it's stiff, don't worry you can't engage it accidentally", but I find that attitude to be foolish and dangerous. The only safety that is 100% unable to be accidentally engaged is the safety that doesn't exist..

I still may end up buying a shield someday, but I truly can't get over the safety..

warpedcamshaft
01-15-13, 00:58
This CW9 has seen at least 500 more rounds without any type of malfunction and has been carried extensively. I am still very impressed.

bobnieder
01-15-13, 17:17
If you really dislike the Shield safety, remove it and put a plug in the hole. It's a simple fix. Personally, although I purposely ordered my Full size M&P without any added safeties, I find that I don't mind the safety on the Shield. Flipping it off is a natural movement when drawing -- at least, for this right-handed shooter.

Delemus
01-15-13, 19:20
I trust the CW9 like all of my other ccw guns. nice writeup and follow up. :dirol:

packinaglock
01-15-13, 19:36
I fondled one of these at a gun show months ago and really liked the size and the way it felt in my hand. (yea I know this post sounds kind of gay)

Redstate
01-15-13, 20:48
I have a P9 Covert that I have had since around 2004. It has around 2500 rounds through it. It differs in size from the CW9 in that the grip is shorter, like that of the PM9. It is a very nice pistol. It is holding up very nicely. It is my summer work attire pocket holster carry. Nice review by the way.

2ac
01-16-13, 22:59
I have a CW9 that's been chopped down to a "covert". It too has given me no problems. I'm very happy with it.

To you Shied owners, think you could pocket carry it?

c3006
01-17-13, 00:41
Great write up. Thx

warpedcamshaft
05-25-13, 21:14
Update:

Installed a Trijicon night sight in the front, and replaced the recoil spring. Total round count is approaching 1800 without a malfunction or stoppage of any type.

Pretty decent little unit from my point of view. The trigger has smoothed out quite a bit since I first got it.

Vegas
05-26-13, 01:45
Update:

Installed a Trijicon night sight in the front, and replaced the recoil spring. Total round count is approaching 1800 without a malfunction or stoppage of any type.

Isn't that a bit early to replace the recoil spring?

Beachboy
05-26-13, 09:23
Nice write up, thanks.

I have been a Kahr fan since the year they were announced at S.H.O.T. I bought an early P9 that was problematic and which was eventually replaced by Kahr after it had been returned several times. At that point, I switched to a K9 Elite and added Big Dot XO sights. Loved the gun, hated the sights, not a good combination for me. Traded it for something else. Bought a CW40 a few years ago and then sold it to a friend. Bought a CM9 last year which I haven't shot much yet, but will probably become my deep conceal carry in the future.

1 bad example out of 4 owned. An early release of what was a new model at the time, which Kahr stood behind.
1 with a poor choice of sights for my use, my fault.
1 that was just surplus and sold to a friend for his EDC.
1 that I haven't given the time it needs yet.

All-in-all, I am pleased with the Kahr line of pistols.

packinaglock
05-26-13, 16:26
LDM, thanks for the info on the followers. This was one of the reasons I sold my PM9 several years ago as the top round would walk partway out of the mag while it was in my pocket...a show stopper for reloads under stress.

I was curious if they fixed the issue but apparently they have not.

My PM 9 mags do this too. Otherwise the weapon has been very reliable.

warpedcamshaft
05-26-13, 17:26
Isn't that a bit early to replace the recoil spring?

Maybe... On a forum dealing specifically with Kahr handguns, a user claimed to have asked Kahr tech about the recoil spring replacement interval for the PM9... it was something like 1000 to 1500 rounds if my memory serves me right.

Figured I would shoot for 1,500 - 1,750 for the larger CW9. The springs are cheap, so I guess I just went for it...

Brianb23
05-27-13, 11:31
Glad to see you like the Kahr. Now to just upgrade to the p9 or a k9. The polygonal rifling and dovetail sights are worth it. I run a k40 for EDC and love it.

Vegas
05-27-13, 16:40
Maybe... On a forum dealing specifically with Kahr handguns, a user claimed to have asked Kahr tech about the recoil spring replacement interval for the PM9... it was something like 1000 to 1500 rounds if my memory serves me right.

Figured I would shoot for 1,500 - 1,750 for the larger CW9. The springs are cheap, so I guess I just went for it...

Interesting. I'll have to do some reading. I have a little less than 500 rounds through my CM9 with no malf's, cleaned once. Overall, I am very happy with the Kahr and was one of the "I can't be bothered to wait around for a Shield" people :)

warpedcamshaft
01-20-14, 01:54
Quick update/opinion...

After putting hundreds of rounds through the M&P Shield... I would have to say that if you are looking for a firearm in the size class of the CW9, the M&P shield is clearly superior from my point of view. The CW9 is a great unit, however... it seems that S&W has raised the bar for this size of handgun... as long as you can accept the manual safety lever.

The overall shooting characteristics of the Shield are very impressive for a firearm of its size and weight.