PDA

View Full Version : What next? Range results incl.

heavytank2
07-14-12, 01:46

I will go ahead and say the 2 strays on the 100yd are my fault, it was hotter than hell out and I was sweating, burning, and resting the gun on a 1 gallon igloo jug.

My setup is mostly RRA parts, 1x9 chrome lined mid-length, upper, bolt, standard grips, handguards, stock, and the lower half is stag-arms with bent hammer spring. Ncstar 3x9 mil-dot scope, amazon.com AR-style mount (lol, really).

The 225yd I couldn't see the shots due to the "mirage waves" and the fact its only a 9x scope. But, reading this zero table (http://www.box.net/shared/static/gh6i3193lr.jpg) I should have held only 0.5mils up and it would have been pretty close.

BTW, I drove up to the cabelas store and picked up "Ultramax" reman 68gr match ammo. Awesome! I have no complaints. 50rnds $25.99 little over 50cents a shot vs. the $1/shot stuff.

So, the question, If it was your gun, whats next? I am thinking free float?

Sgt_Gold
07-15-12, 20:47
There is no reason other than user error as to why your groups should open up like that from 100 yards to 225 yards. If the rifle is functioning correctly it's the nut behind the trigger that's causing that spread.

My advice is loose the NcStar scope and get something decent. If the scope is on the carry handle, propper cheak weld becomes even more important because even very small changes in the cheak weld can result in big changes down range.

Failure2Stop
07-16-12, 01:40
What's next for what?
What is your goal for the carbine?

Warg
07-16-12, 10:40
What's next for what?
What is your goal for the carbine?

Exactly. If your goal is a precision rifle, your CL RRA barrel, stock, optic, ammo selection. etc. are not what I would classify as a precision setup. If you're looking for a 2-2.5 MOA rifle, then likely this configuration should meet those expectations.

Before your start modifying the rifle, how many groups have you shot with this rifle? How have you assessed POA/POI, e.g., any dot drills? Are you placing a load on the barrel and/or HG and observing a change in POI?

I also concur with Sgt Gold- NcStar scopes are crap. There are plenty of reasonably priced scopes that would be far better choices, but again the choice depends on your goals for this firearm.

TahoeLT
07-16-12, 11:00
This may be silly given where we are, but I have to ask the basics--what's your experience with shooting, particularly at these ranges and this weather? Do you have other similar carbines that you can shoot fine in similar conditions?

KalashniKEV
08-14-12, 09:51
I'm not going to ask any questions. I'm just going to say what's next (in order):

1) Prone shooting with a sandbag, not a kool aid jug.

2) Take off the NC Star. Use it for targetry.

3) Flip up your rear BUIS.

4) Don't buy remanufactured ammo. Don't buy ammo off the shelf at Cabela's/Gander Mountain/ Sports Authority. Get a case of some standard ammo- Prvi, PMC, Aguila, etc. from a distributor.

5) PRACTICE.

That's what's next. You'll shoot a better 225 yard group in the first day if you do all of the above.

Total Cost: $0.