PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new one, but hope she has a shorter sister.

Hemoglobin
07-14-12, 08:10
So this build has me wanting a SBR... but thats another thread.

I decided to do a build and start getting into some classes and possibly some competition. Parts, reasoning, and a crappy iPhone pic:

DPMS lower: I bought it a long time ago and had it sitting around. I won't be putting tis build on a form 4 and it was getting rustoleumed so its okay.

Lower parts: Ordered Colt parts from brownells and have a dpms lpk for some extras

BCM Gunfighter grip: Liked the grip angle and the look better than the MOE I had sitting around.

Larue receiver extension tube kit: I like and trust Larue and figured they made a fine receiver/spring/buffer

Geissele SSA: I got to play with one on a friends rifle and it was ordered before the upper! Great trigger.

STR stock: I love the cheek weld. I'll make use of the battery compartments one day.

B.a.d.a.s.s safety: I don't have huge hands so the extra real estate is nice plus I haven't ever really done any left hand manipulation so may as well.

BCM 14.5 mid-length perma a2x fh upper w/ centurion C4 12" rail:Honestly I wanted a KAC URX rail, but when I saw the Centurion preinstalled and in stock I just said my SBR build may have the URX. The cent got great reviews and I felt I was getting a solid rail. I went with the a2 because the brakes I had in the past had some blast I wanted to stay away from. I may send it to Adco down the road for a battle comp repin/weld.

BCM bolt carrier group: Solid parts and were available.

PRI Gasbuster: Again will probably have to order a gunfighter, but the idea is to have a suppressor within 18 months so I thought long term.

KAC- 200/600m micro and Troy HK front sight: I don't have long arms and on the fly manipulation of the front sight in the event of optic faliure concerned me so I got the troy fixed. Got the KAC rear because it seems like a great sight and I'm a little bit of a fan boy as long as they keep making solid product

KAC handstop: mainly wanted something to index does a good job and I didn't like the magpul handstop.

Aimpoint pro: just a solid mount and optic (I did want 2 moa) that I can throw in the dirt and not worry about. I will eventually get a Larue mount.

Rattle can paint job:
Rustoleum khaki, brown, and army green, valspar flat clear coat (still drying in the picture)

Edit: I know the magazine peeled. It is a magazine that ammo hangs on the feed lip; so I demoted it to mag well occupier/carry handle for the paint process.

Hemoglobin
07-14-12, 08:53
Also, you can't see from the pic, but there's a tlr-1 mounted on the right side. I'm still researching lights and mounts as well. Gonna get some trigger time and play with it to at least have a better idea of my own needs. Baby on the way so it's not a good time to just throw money at lights. I had the streamlight so it works for now.

TehLlama
07-14-12, 16:24
Not bad at all - I can see justifications for a lot of the parts as well.

I'd give the TLR a try up at the 12:00 spot (scoot the front sight back just enough for it), as that's my favorite location for lights, and you can run it like that.

Did you wind up using any DPMS parts in the lower? A lot of theirs are reliably decent (mag catch, receiver pins and detents), and others I've had problems with even in small sample sizes (selectors, FCGs, bolt catches).

If it makes you feel any better, I've decided to part with my very nice SR-15 upper, because I like my Centurion C4 handguard equipped upper more. Solid choice there.

The PRI GB isn't a horrid choice - if you're saving up towards a double stamp unit, or a suppressed one down the road, save the handle for that, then just pick up a BCM GF then. The pinned A2X doesn't make this one the ideal suppressor host, but an ideal all-around and training rifle until then - it'll work fine for now, just set money aside, and mostly don't totally cheap out on the baby, that still takes priority!

Hemoglobin
07-15-12, 07:43
I'll try that position with the light. Thanks for the tip. You hear so much about sight radius that it never even occurred to me to move it back.

I did use the assorted DPMS roll pin and takedown pin. I was more concerned with the bolt catch, mag catch, and springs. I'm sure the springs are fine, but I have extras now.

When I do decide on the double stamp unit I will send this one off to ADCO or someone similiar to change out repin/weld a different attachment. I wouldn't do that until after the double stamp unit came in anyway. That is unless I got the suppressor stamp back with a letter that said it would be a couple more months on the SBR build. lol

Hemoglobin
07-16-12, 06:10
I gave the 12 o' clock position a shot but it shifts the way I grip the gun. I'm not sure I like it. I did order a Larue 129 and the gunfighter.