PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Considerations

ptmccain
07-14-12, 08:50
Based on all the great feedback, I've rewritten the article. I particularly appreciate the fact that a member of this forum contacted me privately and shared a number of very helpful and constructive criticisms. Here then is "Version Two." Let me know what you think.

Concealed Carry Considerations

With the boom in firearm ownership in recent years, there are a lot of new gun owners, taking advantage of their rights as citizens of the United States of America to “keep and bear arms.” But carrying a concealed firearm is an awesome responsibility. Let’s take a few minutes to consider some things you need to think through very carefully before you decide to carry a concealed weapon. There are legal, ethical, moral and competency implications.

Here are just some of the things you need to be aware of:

Legal Implications

If you carry a gun, you need to be aware of, and prepared to accept the legal consequences, whatever they may be. Are you willing to go through the trouble and expense – both financially and emotionally – of being arrested, charged and tried if you have to use your firearm? If not, leave your firearm at home. Are you ready to deal with whatever might come your way when it comes to encounters with law enforcement officials who may or may not understand and respect your state and local carry laws? Keep in mind that when you carry a firearm you are doing so for defensive purposes. The very concept of defense is to do what is necessary to stop a threat to ones own life or the life of another.

Ethical Implications

When you take on the responsibility of being an armed citizen, you also assume a greater level of ethical responsibility for every aspect of your behavior while packing. You don’t pick fights. You don’t respond to aggressive comments or gestures by going for your gun. You never go looking for trouble. You don’t – ever – drink while armed. And you never brandish it or joke around about carrying concealed. Concealed means concealed…in every possible sense. If you can’t conceal it, do not carry it. You aren’t trying to impress anyone by carrying. Your ethical posture has to be above reproach when carrying. And, don’t get dragged into a conversation about “shooting to kill.” You do not shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the thread and to defend yourself or others in a true emergency.

Moral Implications

Are you mentally prepared to defend yourself? If not, the gun should stay in your safe. If you think you are just going to pull the gun out and wave it around to scare somebody off, don’t carry. If the gun comes out of its holster, you must already have decided to stop a threat. You are using your gun defensively, that is, you are shooting to stop the threat of immanent bodily harm to you, to your loved ones, or an innocent party who is being attacked in danger of being killed. Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to stop a threat and to defend yourself? Have you thought long and hard about what that means? Are you willing to see what a bullet will do to a human body? People don’t always just fall over dead like in the movies. You have to prepare yourself for the emotional trauma of gravely wounding or killing another human being, but remember, your goal is never to kill anyone, it is to stop a threat. Drawing your weapon is the last resort in a truly life, or death, situation, where you must act to defend yourself, or others.

Competency Implications

If you are going to carry a concealed weapon, you need to be rigorous about safe, competent gun handling. Your gun is always loaded – or it better be. That means you must never ever, under any circumstance, draw it while carrying unless you’re truly in a life or death situation. You do not pull it out to show to your buddies. You never point the weapon at anyone, which is referred to as "covering" somebody. Your finger should not be on the trigger, but "indexed" or simply lying against the firearm, ready to move to the trigger, but not on the trigger or in the trigger guard. You simply do not “play around” with your concealed firearm. It goes in the holster and never comes out, unless absolutely necessary. And you need to be fully trained in the use of your firearm. Find a competent instructor and take a class. Better yet, take several classes. Just as if you want to get to Carnegie hall, you need to practice, practice and practice some more. You owe it to yourself to get in as much range time with your carry gun as you possibly can. If you aren’t willing to master all aspects of handling your concealed carry firearm, don’t strap it on.

These are just some of the things you will need to consider before you take on the responsibility of concealed carry. Yes, it’s your right, but you need to exercise that right legally, ethically, morally and competently or you’ll hurt the cause of those that do.

And finally, here is a good “creed” for a person carrying concealed to live by:

If I draw my gun from it's holster, I have decided that lethal force is imminently necessary to prevent or end the use of force, which I reasonably believe will cause grave bodily harm or death against me. The ultimate fate of my adversary is not my goal, is not even my consideration. I must cause them to cease the actions that I believe are deadly to me. Nothing more. I do not shoot to kill. I shoot to make them stop.

Take care, and stay safe!

KalashniKEV
07-14-12, 10:01
Didn't you already post this in the other thread? What's different anyway?

How about just a change summary and you re-post your essay wherever it came from?

polymorpheous
07-14-12, 10:27
How about you stop trolling the OP's treads?

McCain,
I shared the link to my Facebook.
It's a good piece to represent responsible firearm owners.
Thanks.

ptmccain
07-14-12, 10:30
Thanks, glad you found it useful. I've enjoyed all the input/reactions/feedback. And, there is no point in feeding trolls.

NavyDavy55
07-14-12, 10:31
Based on all the great feedback, I've rewritten the article. I particularly appreciate the fact that a member of this forum contacted me privately and shared a number of very helpful and constructive criticisms. Here then is "Version Two." Let me know what you think.

Concealed Carry Considerations

With the boom in firearm ownership in recent years, there are a lot of new gun owners, taking advantage of their rights as citizens of the United States of America to “keep and bear arms.” But carrying a concealed firearm is an awesome responsibility. Let’s take a few minutes to consider some things you need to think through very carefully before you decide to carry a concealed weapon. There are legal, ethical, moral and competency implications.

Here are just some of the things you need to be aware of:

Legal Implications

If you carry a gun, you need to be aware of, and prepared to accept the legal consequences, whatever they may be. Are you willing to go through the trouble and expense – both financially and emotionally – of being arrested, charged and tried if you have to use your firearm? If not, leave your firearm at home. Are you ready to deal with whatever might come your way when it comes to encounters with law enforcement officials who may or may not understand and respect your state and local carry laws? Keep in mind that when you carry a firearm you are doing so for defensive purposes. The very concept of defense is to do what is necessary to stop a threat to ones own life or the life of another.

Ethical Implications

When you take on the responsibility of being an armed citizen, you also assume a greater level of ethical responsibility for every aspect of your behavior while packing. You don’t pick fights. You don’t respond to aggressive comments or gestures by going for your gun. You never go looking for trouble. You don’t – ever – drink while armed. And you never brandish it or joke around about carrying concealed. Concealed means concealed…in every possible sense. If you can’t conceal it, do not carry it. You aren’t trying to impress anyone by carrying. Your ethical posture has to be above reproach when carrying. And, don’t get dragged into a conversation about “shooting to kill.” You do not shoot to kill, you shoot to stop the thread and to defend yourself or others in a true emergency.

Moral Implications

Are you mentally prepared to defend yourself? If not, the gun should stay in your safe. If you think you are just going to pull the gun out and wave it around to scare somebody off, don’t carry. If the gun comes out of its holster, you must already have decided to stop a threat. You are using your gun defensively, that is, you are shooting to stop the threat of immanent bodily harm to you, to your loved ones, or an innocent party who is being attacked in danger of being killed. Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to stop a threat and to defend yourself? Have you thought long and hard about what that means? Are you willing to see what a bullet will do to a human body? People don’t always just fall over dead like in the movies. You have to prepare yourself for the emotional trauma of gravely wounding or killing another human being, but remember, your goal is never to kill anyone, it is to stop a threat. Drawing your weapon is the last resort in a truly life, or death, situation, where you must act to defend yourself, or others.

Competency Implications

If you are going to carry a concealed weapon, you need to be rigorous about safe, competent gun handling. Your gun is always loaded – or it better be. That means you must never ever, under any circumstance, draw it while carrying unless you’re truly in a life or death situation. You do not pull it out to show to your buddies. You never point the weapon at anyone, which is referred to as "covering" somebody. Your finger should not be on the trigger, but "indexed" or simply lying against the firearm, ready to move to the trigger, but not on the trigger or in the trigger guard. You simply do not “play around” with your concealed firearm. It goes in the holster and never comes out, unless absolutely necessary. And you need to be fully trained in the use of your firearm. Find a competent instructor and take a class. Better yet, take several classes. Just as if you want to get to Carnegie hall, you need to practice, practice and practice some more. You owe it to yourself to get in as much range time with your carry gun as you possibly can. If you aren’t willing to master all aspects of handling your concealed carry firearm, don’t strap it on.

These are just some of the things you will need to consider before you take on the responsibility of concealed carry. Yes, it’s your right, but you need to exercise that right legally, ethically, morally and competently or you’ll hurt the cause of those that do.

And finally, here is a good “creed” for a person carrying concealed to live by:

If I draw my gun from it's holster, I have decided that lethal force is imminently necessary to prevent or end the use of force, which I reasonably believe will cause grave bodily harm or death against me. The ultimate fate of my adversary is not my goal, is not even my consideration. I must cause them to cease the actions that I believe are deadly to me. Nothing more. I do not shoot to kill. I shoot to make them stop.

We don't want to stop the thread, it'd a good thread. maybe we want to stop the threat. :D

Good rewrite!

Warp
07-14-12, 23:48
Concealed means concealed…in every possible sense. If you can’t conceal it, do not carry it.

What about open carry?

Hogsgunwild
07-15-12, 02:20
What about open carry?

That is where this article's previous title came in handy... ;)

polymorpheous
07-15-12, 06:21
What about open carry?

You mean shoot me first carry?
I personally wouldn't consider open carry as an option.

ptmccain
07-15-12, 07:35
That is where this article's previous title came in handy... ;)

Funny!

:dirol:

Eliakim
07-15-12, 08:20
...You don’t – ever – drink while armed. And you never brandish it or joke around about carrying concealed...

Even though I'm sure some people will disagree with me, I think this bears repeating. You don't need to get falling down drunk to be affected by alcohol. Just one (1) drink will modify your judgment and affect your reflexes compared to when you are sober.

One drink will begin to relax your inhibitions and change your mood to some extent. It will also make it harder to convince a Judge or a jury that a self defense shooting was clearly justified, or instead you need to be charged with a crime.

Everybody makes their own choices and this is still an amost free country. But I believe if you are going to drink it is better to leave the gun back home in the safe.

Warp
07-15-12, 16:45

That's fine.

But I don't believe in telling other people they should never do something simply because you, personally, choose not to.

polymorpheous
07-15-12, 19:44
Reread my post.
I never said anyone should or shouldn't do anything.

Spiffums
07-15-12, 19:50
We don't want to stop the thread, it'd a good thread. maybe we want to stop the threat. :D

Good rewrite!

I know :( The thread was just getting it's life turned around and going to thread church.

kmrtnsn
07-15-12, 19:53

Otherwise known as, "hey! I have a gun, want it?"

Warp
07-15-12, 19:59
Otherwise known as, "hey! I have a gun, want it?"

Also known as "An armed robbery did not happen today because two regular guys were openly carrying pistosl"

http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

And who knows how many other crimes have been deterred by visible firearms. It's very difficult to get a situation where the "nothing happened as a result of open carry" goes on record as such.

Warp
07-15-12, 20:12
Reread my post.
I never said anyone should or shouldn't do anything.

Sorry for the confusion. I was still referring back to the OP.

Concealed means concealed…in every possible sense. If you can’t conceal it, do not carry it.

ptmccain
07-15-12, 20:18
Reminder:

The article is about CONCEALED carry, not open carry.

Warp
07-15-12, 20:35
Reminder:

The article is about CONCEALED carry, not open carry.

lol

Fair point. Which is why I asked about open carry.

My personal opinion/belief is that if a person is to carry concealed it should probably stay completely concealed. I think that people are far more likely to be fearful of or apprehensive around a stranger that they spot (or "make") carrying a gun when said stranger is trying to hide it. Why are they trying to hide it? Are they not supposed to have it? Are they a criminal? Are they breaking the law?

The open carrier, on the other hand...probably not a criminal, probably not breaking the law, doesn't seem to be trying to hide anything.

So I guess I agree with you, eh? :dirol:

C4IGrant
07-15-12, 20:36
Even though I'm sure some people will disagree with me, I think this bears repeating. You don't need to get falling down drunk to be affected by alcohol. Just one (1) drink will modify your judgment and affect your reflexes compared to when you are sober.

One drink will begin to relax your inhibitions and change your mood to some extent. It will also make it harder to convince a Judge or a jury that a self defense shooting was clearly justified, or instead you need to be charged with a crime.

Everybody makes their own choices and this is still an amost free country. But I believe if you are going to drink it is better to leave the gun back home in the safe.

You know that people drive cars with one drink (or more in them) right? Do you also know that it is legal to have a drink while carrying in many states.

Ever have a beer in your home? Would you not use a gun to protect yourself in a home invasion scenario just because you had a drink (for fear of how it would appear in "court")? I think not.

C4

ptmccain
07-15-12, 20:38
So I guess I agree with you, eh? :dirol:

Nope, you are trying to talk about open carry in the context of an article titled, "Concealed Carry Considerations."

If you want to talk about open v. concealed, start a topic on that, maybe write an article about it.

:dirol:

Warp
07-15-12, 20:41
You know that people drive cars with one drink (or more in them) right? Do you also know that it is legal to have a drink while carrying in many states.

Ever have a beer in your home? Would you not use a gun to protect yourself in a home invasion scenario just because you had a drink (for fear of how it would appear in "court")? I think not.

C4

Not I.

C4IGrant
07-15-12, 20:43
Not I.

You know that you would be under the legal limit right?

C4

Warp
07-15-12, 20:49
You know that you would be under the legal limit right?

C4

Yes. And if I were to (and the few times I did) I was well under the legal limit as well.

But I decided awhile ago that the risk was too great to justify. For me.

Eliakim
07-15-12, 20:56

C4

You are taking me out of context. I stay out of bars while packing.

Why so condescending with the reply?

Warp
07-15-12, 21:00
What you do in your home, and the standards society will hold you by, differ from out in public.

C4IGrant
07-15-12, 21:01
What you do in your home, and the standards society will hold you by, differ from out in public.

Disagree. A good shoot is always going to be a good shoot.

C4

Warp
07-15-12, 21:03

C4

Who determines whether or not a shoot is good?

C4IGrant
07-15-12, 21:03
You are taking me out of context. I stay out of bars while packing.

Why so condescending with the reply?

Your post was a lecture without taking into consideration the fact that certain state laws either allow it or do not define the amount of alcohol one can consume and carry. That was all.

C4

NavyDavy55
07-16-12, 05:35

C4

Even this layman knows there are few absolutes when it comes to law.

What one might consider a good shoot in a criminal trial may become a bad shoot in a civil trial.

C4IGrant
07-16-12, 07:31
Even this layman knows there are few absolutes when it comes to law.

What one might consider a good shoot in a criminal trial may become a bad shoot in a civil trial.

True. Civy trial is a zoo, but the difference is that it is only money (not a jail time).

C4

smitty704
07-16-12, 07:40
Yes. And if I were to (and the few times I did) I was well under the legal limit as well.

But I decided awhile ago that the risk was too great to justify. For me.

Agreed. It just ain't worth it to me.

When I carry concealed(all day, everyday) I never drink alcohol, not even one sip. If I did get in a situation where I was forced to use my pistol to defend myself I would not want to have any alcohol in my system. IMO that would look better in a court room. Thats just me.

I respect anyone who in their state is legally allowed to have a drink or two while carrying, that's your right and I respect that you want to exercise your right. But in North Carolina where I live you can't have even a sip of alcohol while carrying, and even if I was allowed I personally wouldn't.

But to each his own, and everyone is different and I respect that. I'm just stating my angle on the matter.

To the OP, great write up! Thanks for posting.

P.S. i just realized I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel. :)

Eric D.
07-16-12, 08:03
Those of us in OH are immune from civil liability if it was indeed a good shoot. ;)

True. Civy trial is a zoo, but the difference is that it is only money (not a jail time).

C4

C4IGrant
07-16-12, 08:22
Those of us in OH are immune from civil liability if it was indeed a good shoot. ;)

Yep. Folks in other states are not though.

C4

C4IGrant
07-16-12, 08:46
Who determines whether or not a shoot is good?

Good question.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1349174#post1349174

C4

gtmtnbiker98
07-16-12, 09:26
Ohio Castle Doctrine only applies to your residence and personal vehicle.

C4IGrant
07-16-12, 09:39
In this discussion, people have made the comment that having a drink "impairs" your judgment and you shouldn't carry a firearm.

How bout being tired and carrying a gun? Is that worse?

Mythbusters did a driving test between drinking and being tired. Being tired was WORSE than having a few drinks in you. http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...k-driving.html & http://www.serpholicmedia.com/news/d...se-drunk-14337

So how many of you have carried a firearm "tired" and thought that was "ok," but having a drink with dinner is WAAAAY out of bounds for you???

Hmmm..........

C4

http://stephenbrownprducer.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/devils-advocate-expanded-frontsmall.jpg

Deuce
07-16-12, 09:44
Good question.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1349174#post1349174

C4

There are to many variables to give one simple answer. The elephant in the room is the state laws of each state.

For example you mention only protecting yourself and your family. Florida law allows use of deadly force to prevent a forcible felony. That doesn't have to be family, it can be a woman getting raped that you come across on your nightly jog.

Even castle doctrine varies among states that have it on the books. In FL it applies to your home, business, and personal conveyance.

Sent from my Samsung Transform Ultra using Tapatalk.

C4IGrant
07-16-12, 09:47
There are to many variables to give one simple answer. The elephant in the room is the state laws of each state.

For example you mention only protecting yourself and your family. Florida law allows use of deadly force to prevent a forcible felony. That doesn't have to be family, it can be a woman getting raped that you come across on your nightly jog.

Even castle doctrine varies among states that have it on the books. In FL it applies to your home, business, and personal conveyance.

Sent from my Samsung Transform Ultra using Tapatalk.

Right. States laws vary. So a CCW holder SHOULD be familiar with what is allowed and not allowed. As a general rule though, protecting yourself and your family is usually the best advice (and not trying to play cop).

C4

Sry0fcr
07-16-12, 12:42
In this discussion, people have made the comment that having a drink "impairs" your judgment and you shouldn't carry a firearm.

How bout being tired and carrying a gun? Is that worse?

Mythbusters did a driving test between drinking and being tired. Being tired was WORSE than having a few drinks in you. http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...k-driving.html & http://www.serpholicmedia.com/news/d...se-drunk-14337

So how many of you have carried a firearm "tired" and thought that was "ok," but having a drink with dinner is WAAAAY out of bounds for you???

Hmmm..........

C4

I don't think that having a drink impairs your judgement, I do think that being drunk does. I think this is an important distinction to make. If you're the type that drinks to excess, then you're probably not responsible enough to carry a gun in public IMO. Personally, I think TX's requirement that forbids the consumption of all alcohol while carrying is idiotic.

cbyrd556
07-16-12, 13:08
Right. States laws vary. So a CCW holder SHOULD be familiar with what is allowed and not allowed. As a general rule though, protecting yourself and your family is usually the best advice (and not trying to play cop).

C4

Agreed. It is the individual carrying responsibility to know your state laws or a reciprocal state you are carrying in.

And thanks for the great article ptmccain.

lunchbox
07-16-12, 13:53
I think the main point should be that: CCW is a right, not a luxury; drinking is a luxury, not a right (or somthing like that). Sometimes you cant have your cake and eat it too..

Linuxman
07-16-12, 14:24
Agreed. It is the individual carrying responsibility to know your state laws or a reciprocal state you are carrying in.

And thanks for the great article ptmccain.

+1 agree 100%