PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Micro R1 Color Change Q.'s???

johnnywitt
07-14-12, 14:45
So, I bought an R1 for a stainless handgun (looked horrible because it never really matched the stainless color of the handgun I had it on and also wasn't much good as an arms length pistol sight from the get go IMO). Now, I want to change the color to black and mount it on an AR.
Is Ceracoat a good option? I don't really like Duracoat all that much.
I want to get the thing black first and then later spray my whole weapon with Krylon for a camo job. Maybe I should just tape the glass and spray it with stove paint like another Guy did- never did hear how that turned out.

My concerns are them having to sand off the anodizing to get the Ceracoat to stick and the heat factor on the Optic when they bake the stuff on. Also, how would you get the Ceracoat all the way to the glass inside of the front and back ocular without spraying the glass. There would always be a small gap of silver close to where you taped off the glass.

Any ideas??? and maybe who to send the R1 to, or maybe just forget it, sell it and get an H1, or a PRO thats already black.

ryr8828
07-14-12, 15:26
Sell it to me so I don't have to clean the paint off of one of my R1's to mount on my SW 629 44 mag, then buy an h1.

rushca01
07-14-12, 16:10
I've painted two r1's. Both times I have used aervoe without issue. Just use a good degreaser and tape the areas you don't want painted. No need to paint it black before camo. You are never going to have all the edges by the glass perfect, close, but not perfect. Or sell it to me and put the cash towards an H1...

Campbell
07-14-12, 16:33
I am not following your desire to cerakote the aimpoint and krylon the rifle. I don't bake optics in my shop... there is an air-dry cerakote, similar to duracoat...
-degrease
-scuff
-krylon everything
-imo, this is a solid plan of attack for you.

johnnywitt
07-14-12, 21:00
Thanks! I will just paint the little silver bastard and be done with it.
Sorry, I should have put this in the optics section. Just got back from a long international trip.