PDA

View Full Version : LW Barrel Confusion!

DoubleJ
07-14-12, 22:09
I'm thinking about a LW build, and in researching barrels, I'm getting confused. The DD 14.5" comes up on internet searches as 21oz for the carbine version, and 20oz for the middy version. I don't understand how they can be different, but 1oz isn't a big deal. The Bushmaster superlight is supposed to have a slimmer profile, but Bushmaster responded to a forum question listing the barrel at 30oz for the 16". This makes no sense to me, 1.5" of barrel certainly doesn't weigh 10oz. Does anyone have any experience with these two barrels? My second question is the muzzle device. Can anyone recommend one that is light, smallish in diameter, and will reduce flash, muzzle jump, and recoil? Also, 1/2x28 is the same no matter what, correct? Any MD that can be pinned/welded to a normal barrel can be pinned/welded to a LW barrel, yeah? Thanks all, and any recommendations for the entire build would be appreciated.

lightestfighter
07-15-12, 01:01
There's no standardized lightweight profile. Generally, it means 0.625 in. diameter all the way through. Bushmaster may be listing the weight with sights and gas system. Doesn't matter because they make a piece of shit.

Most people here will advise the A2 as an all-rounder. A dedicated flash hider will reduce signature better but won't help you with muzzle jump. A dedicated brake will be more controllable but increase blast and flash substantially.

All 1/2x28 is the same.

Barrel profile has no relation to muzzle devices.

DoubleJ
07-15-12, 01:23
There's no standardized lightweight profile. Generally, it means 0.625 in. diameter all the way through. Bushmaster may be listing the weight with sights and gas system. Doesn't matter because they make a piece of shit.

Most people here will advise an A2 an all-rounder. A dedicated flash hider will reduce signature better but won't help you with muzzle jump. A dedicated brake will be more controllable but increase blast and flash substantially.

All 1/2x28 is the same.

Barrel profile has no relation to muzzle devices.

Now that I think of it, the Bushmaster website does show the barrel with an A2 front sight and the plate that the handguards set into attached, so that makes sense as to why the weight is so high. Either way, I think I want a 14.5, so the BM is kinda out by default. Their website said something about no pinned/slip on breaks, I took that to mean you couldn't pin a MD to the threads for a perm. install, but it probably means you can't put an ebay chinese crapola MD on.

MistWolf
07-15-12, 02:17
...Most people here will advise an A2 an all-rounder

If you mean A2 as in government profile, no. It's thin under the handguards and is thicker ahead of the FSB, completely backwards from what a barrel profile should be for fast handling and to control heat. A lightweight or even the new "medium weight" profile barrel is more useful.

DoubleJ, you're wasting time on small, unimportant minutia. Pick a quality barrel of a lightweight profile with the correct twist and don't worry about differences in claimed weight. A variety of factors can account for the differences, from the greater density of cold hammer forged steel, using different scales and choosing to round up when someone else rounds down. Unless you're going to get so detail oriented that weight is shaved from the BCG, lightening holes are cut in the magwell, receiver extension and other parts, it ain't worth the hassle

chadbag
07-15-12, 02:24
If you mean A2 as in government profile, no. It's thin under the handguards and is thicker ahead of the FSB, completely backwards from what a barrel profile should be for fast handling and to control heat. A lightweight or even the new "medium weight" profile barrel is more useful.

he is talking A2 FH

DoubleJ, you're wasting time on small, unimportant minutia. Pick a quality barrel of a lightweight profile with the correct twist and don't worry about differences in claimed weight. A variety of factors can account for the differences, from the greater density of cold hammer forged steel, using different scales and choosing to round up when someone else rounds down. Unless you're going to get so detail oriented that weight is shaved from the BCG, lightening holes are cut in the magwell, receiver extension and other parts, it ain't worth the hassle

MistWolf
07-15-12, 02:31
I mis-understood. Thanks for setting me straight

rob_s
07-15-12, 06:51
What is your intended goal with this rifle/barrel, and what is your prior experience with the AR platform?

I ask because if this is your first AR I would suggest simply buying a 16" LW barrel and go shooting. Coincidentally Cheaper Than Dirt has Colt 6720s in stock for <$1k right now. That's the shortest path to going shooting, which is hopefully your end-goal, although I understand if its not as that would place you in the 1% of gun owners.

If you have a ton of experience and your end-goal is simply an exercise in building the lightest gun you can, that's understandable too. I wouldn't worry about something like that if you're new.

erratic
07-15-12, 07:49
CTD is the last place I'd go for anything though...

I'm sure there are plenty of other places with sub 1k colts without having to deal with them

DoubleJ
07-15-12, 08:26
What is your intended goal with this rifle/barrel, and what is your prior experience with the AR platform?

I ask because if this is your first AR I would suggest simply buying a 16" LW barrel and go shooting. Coincidentally Cheaper Than Dirt has Colt 6720s in stock for <$1k right now. That's the shortest path to going shooting, which is hopefully your end-goal, although I understand if its not as that would place you in the 1% of gun owners.

If you have a ton of experience and your end-goal is simply an exercise in building the lightest gun you can, that's understandable too. I wouldn't worry about something like that if you're new.

A guy traded me a carbine years ago, I recently replaced the receivers, sights, optics, grips, handguard with upgraded parts. The money I got from the pre ban lower I used to build an SPR from scratch, and then my local shop (Bowers) showed me a Cav Arms lower with a pencil barrel on it and I got this LW project in my head, but as of yet I have no parts for it. I kinda like building them myself.