PDA

View Full Version : Carrying an unloaded rifle in OH state park system.

duece71
07-15-12, 09:49
Can someone legally do this, wether open or concealed in a pack? Would it be better to break the rifle into 2 pieces (AR)? I know this sounds like a question that could get someone into trouble. I was just wondering if someone who is hiking in an Ohio park could carry a rifle in a pack. I do not have a CCW licence yet and I am sure having one would solve many grey area issues. This is not for hunting purposes, more for trying out a pack for comfort, ergonomics etc...
Thanks.

kmrtnsn
07-15-12, 12:57
Can someone legally do this, wether open or concealed in a pack? Would it be better to break the rifle into 2 pieces (AR)? I know this sounds like a question that could get someone into trouble. I was just wondering if someone who is hiking in an Ohio park could carry a rifle in a pack. I do not have a CCW licence yet and I am sure having one would solve many grey area issues. This is not for hunting purposes, more for trying out a pack for comfort, ergonomics etc...
Thanks.

The scary, extreme side of carrying on State lands. In many states, the mere possession of a rifle on State lands, i.e. hunting lands in many cases, is prima facie evidence of hunting. Evidence of hunting out of season is by definition, evidence of poaching. It all goes downhill from there in terms of arrest, search, and seizure. For example, in AK where I am from if you are poaching, all of the accoutrements you have with you when caught, like airplanes, trucks, atv's and guns, are seizable and forfeitable. You should get into the OH fish and game regs and appropriate OH state laws. Just like the FAR's, it can be easy to run afoul of the authorities but if you know the regs and fly on the right side of them, all is fine. Good luck.

duece71
07-30-12, 21:43
Thanks for the reply. I did a little research and what I found was kind of vague. I decided to NOT carry a rifle in a state park. I found a good substitute that was the same weight and nearly the same dimensions as a rifle that I could carry in my pack. Much better choice for testing purposes.