PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Berretta 92 FS.......

shootist1970
07-15-12, 13:32
Though i'm not fan of 9mm per say, i am a fan of US military and US military style small arms, also thought having a 9mm in my armory would be useful in SHTF if i had to scavenge for ammo. Even though i prefer calibers starting in .4 for defensive purposes if 9mm is what i have it beats throwing rocks.

I've had one before, the grip fits my hand perfectly on these guns, but i'd like to have more reliable mags, it came with two factory, but more factory ones are like $45 each!!

I know the Checkmates that .GOV had bought for M-9's sucketh and jam the gun a lot.

So what are my other options than factory that still work well?

Also it was my understanding that the 92FS was specifically modified from the 92F to take "hotter loads" so if someone used subgun ammo in them the slide wouldn't break? So why does the "Read This" manual for the guns say no +p or +p+?

pisc1024
07-15-12, 13:37
I would say your best bet for mags would be MecGar.

http://www.mec-gar.com/Magazines/Beretta

Hope this helps.

DBZ220
07-15-12, 14:00
Beretta is selling factory mags for $19.95 right now via their website. If you google, a few other places have prices starting around $18 up to $22 for factory mags.

Redmanfms
07-15-12, 14:03
Also it was my understanding that the 92FS was specifically modified from the 92F to take "hotter loads" so if someone used subgun ammo in them the slide wouldn't break? So why does the "Read This" manual for the guns say no +p or +p+?

Your understanding is incorrect. During testing by the Army some overpressure ammunition somehow made it into the test and resulted in slide failures and separation from the weapon (IOW, the ass-end of the slide came shooting off the weapon, at the shooter) There was nothing to prevent the remains of the rear of the slide from coming off the pistol and injuring the shooter. The FS introduced a larger hammer pivot pin to prevent the slide from shooting off the frame should the slide fail. This is the only difference between the F and FS.

If the manual says not to do something, there is probably a good reason to heed the instruction.

ST911
07-15-12, 14:20
New 92 mags are plentiful at the ~$25 price point. Used mags have been available by the truckload, check the usual wholesalers (CDNN, CTD, others).

Read up on the particulars of the Beretta and recommended PM. Lube it generously for best results.

Advances in bullet technology make your 9mm as good of a choice as any. See DocGKRs list of recommended loads.

shootist1970
07-15-12, 15:08
Yeah had a 92FS before, it seemed to like a light film of Tetra PTFE gungrease on the rails, i'm sure this one is no different.

Snake Plissken
07-15-12, 16:53
I had bought 92FS government issue, in the wrap magazines for $9 apiece a couple years back. They're still out there for cheap if you look.

On the topic of Beretta 9x series pistols....They're perfectly fine pistols. The people who bitch and moan about them being "unreliable" are the same people who still think the slides will blow into your face and they're also the ones who'll buy a Glock or M&P and despite having brass sent into their face, 8" at 25 yard groupings, FTE every mag, they still think they've chosen a superior pistol. If there is to be any "general" rule about owning a 92FS or variant model, it's just to not feed it a steady diet of overpressure ammunition.

jmp45
07-15-12, 17:13
The FS introduced a larger hammer pivot pin to prevent the slide from shooting off the frame should the slide fail. This is the only difference between the F and FS.

Does this also apply to the A1? I'm very interested in picking up an A1 and put a D spring in.

duece71
07-15-12, 17:41
Though i'm not fan of 9mm per say, i am a fan of US military and US military style small arms, also thought having a 9mm in my armory would be useful in SHTF if i had to scavenge for ammo. Even though i prefer calibers starting in .4 for defensive purposes if 9mm is what i have it beats throwing rocks.

I've had one before, the grip fits my hand perfectly on these guns, but i'd like to have more reliable mags, it came with two factory, but more factory ones are like $45 each!!

I know the Checkmates that .GOV had bought for M-9's sucketh and jam the gun a lot.

So what are my other options than factory that still work well?

You are not looking hard enough. As someone else said, you can find factory mags for a pretty good price (while it lasts).
I should have never sold my 92FS, I was thinning out the herd and decided it had to go. I went the Glock route instead for 9mm (and have had NO problems). I like the 92FS, it should serve you well and shop around for mags.

Timbonez
07-15-12, 21:11
Does this also apply to the A1? I'm very interested in picking up an A1 and put a D spring in.

Yes. All current 90 series Berettas have the larger hammer pin.

Straight Shooter
07-15-12, 21:32
My M9 has been 100% reliable, AND accurate as hell for a bit over 6000 rnds now.
I run mine as follows-
1. D spring. Mandatory,imo.
2.18lb. chrome silicon recoil spring on a S.S. rod.
3.FACTORY MAGS only. They are anywhere from $15 to $25 everywhere.
4. Beretta Elite hammer, more ergonomic and better looking, imo.
5.Tetra lube on all the shiny spots and rails.
6. Mine is a tack driver with 115gr. and 124gr. +P JHP ammo. Doesnt like the 147's at all.
7. I keep spare trigger springs & recoil springs. I really need to get another latest Gen locking block, also.
This is what flat works in mine. Id "go to war" with it in a heartbeat, with MY prefered ammo, of course.
Also, please...its my deepest wish that maybe one day, all this perpetuated CRAP about "the Army tests back in the eighties" will finally go the hell away. It is WELL documented what happened and why, what steps were taken to fix the problems, and this shit should stop now. As for +P ammo, shoot it all day, everyday, it will pose no problem, especially with a heavier than factory recoil spring.
Youve got a great pistol. Shoot hell out of it.

jmp45
07-15-12, 21:51
Yes. All current 90 series Berettas have the larger hammer pin.

Thanks Tim, I may be out for an A1 this week. D spring will be the first upgrade, if I could get it lighter than 8 lbs DA would be great.

Timbonez
07-15-12, 22:01
You're welcome. With the D spring you will get somewhere around an 8lb DA pull. The SA pull should also get somewhat lighter, but not to the same extent as the DA. ShipWreck is the resident Beretta aficionado around here and can provide you with some good insight.

Vgex2
07-15-12, 23:01
I installed a D-Spring in my 96FS Vertec the other day. Almost too easy. I was shocked.

Fetep
07-15-12, 23:12
I have a 92FS, I added the d spring and the hammer, new grips and the large magazine release along with the steel guide rod, I love this gun! And I just bought a mec gar 18 rd. mag at midway for 22 dollars.

Fetep

Kain
07-15-12, 23:18
I think mags for the Beretta 92 are running around $10 from CDNN, I've seen, and bought used USGI M9 mags for as low as $5 at my local Army Navy Store, but am looking at the MecGar mags for more serious work, but since my 92 is a 92SB and more of a range toy it isn't near the top of my list. However, a M9A1 or 92A1 are on the list, still doing research and trying to find out all the facts, just wish they would make a G model of the A1 models.

Am curious on the thoughts of the 18rd mecgar mags and whether they are worth buying over say your standard 15rd mags?

Swatieson
07-16-12, 10:49
Factory mags failed to lock the slide back multiple times for me. They are not strong enough to push the lever up.

Anybody else with this problem? Bought from MidwayUSA.

556A2
07-16-12, 13:04
Factory mags failed to lock the slide back multiple times for me. They are not strong enough to push the lever up.

Anybody else with this problem? Bought from MidwayUSA.

Disassemble and clean the inside. A lot of times Beretta factory magazines have a bunch of shipping preservative inside. I highly doubt new 92 magazines would have weak springs.

OP, don't be afraid of using Checkmate & Airtronics magazines. They are great range magazines, especially if you can find them under $10 NIW. The biggest problem with them are weak magazine springs. You will have some time before they wear out if they are brand new. You can fix this buy using OEM or Wolff magazine springs when they do wear out.

For carry/HD mags, stick to PB/MDS/Mec-Gar.

MILSHOOTER
07-17-12, 00:03
This is my .02 cents: at least in my experience the factory mags have been the best but were still unreliable when dirty as most mechanical things are. There are stiffer springs that you can get for the mags as well. 9MM NATO is by far a hotter round than most of the other North American stuff and that is mostly what I have shot out of them.

J-cat
07-17-12, 01:55
I carried a 92F on duty for three years. It was reliable with factory mags. If the mag spring gets weak, the slide won't lock back. Wolf mag springs solve that problem.

I think the reason for the +P warning is this ammo accelerates wear and Beretta wants to minimize warranty claims.

I carried 147gr Rangers in my 92F. No problems. Didn't shoot anything hotter through it. After I switched employers, I got issued a S&W 6906 with WWB 147JHPs. No problems for five years. Then we switched to 124 Gold Dot +P's. That load started to beat the crap out of the guns. Suddenly there was all kinds of battering and wear all over the frame. The guns didn't crack, but they looked like they had a million rounds through them after just one year of the +P ammo. All the previous years of 147s didn't show any appreciable wear. This wasn't just my gun, it was all the guns.

ThirdWatcher
07-17-12, 03:14
MDS mags are also good-to-go (supposedly the same as Beretta mags).

ScottD
07-17-12, 07:35
Am curious on the thoughts of the 18rd mecgar mags and whether they are worth buying over say your standard 15rd mags?

I've been using the MecGar 20rd mags for 3-gun (basically just the 18rd mag with a 2rd extension). The extra 5 rounds definitely make them worth it for me.

ShipWreck
07-17-12, 10:32
Huge Beretta fan (I have nine of them)...

As others have stated - look around, and you can find cheap, NEW factory mags. I previously got a lot from CDNN - if you order on weekends, the shipping is usually 1/2 the price,. And, Beretta USA is having a special on some for $19.95 right now...

Be aware that if you have an Italian made one - you should change the lanyard loop pin. Italian ones have a roll pin that are a super pain in the butt to knock out. If you remove it to change the hammer spring to a D spring - get the USA style pin and change it at the same time. MUCH easier to remove in the future:

D spring can be gotten here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27930/Product/HAMMER-SPRING-D-VERSION

USA style lanyard loop here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=28359/Product/LANYARD-LOOP-PIN-90-SERIES

And here is the trigger return spring (which you should change every 5k rounds, but I change it every time I change the recoil spring - just to keep it simpler): http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27929/Product/SPRING-TRIGGER-92FS

Also - change the recoil spring every 3-5k... I would recommend every 3-3.5k, honestly. Do that, and you will lengthen your locking block life...

Get the 13lb standard power recoil spring...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26257/Product/BERETTA-92-96-RECOIL-SPRINGS

And, finally - here is a FANTASTIC website! I learned how to strip a 92 frame a few years ago from these videos: http://beretta92fs.com/index.html

Really worth bookmarking. I have the vids on CD now. On occasion, the site has gone down...

Jupiter
07-18-12, 06:49
Huge Beretta fan (I have nine of them)...

And, finally - here is a FANTASTIC website! I learned how to strip a 92 frame a few years ago from these videos: http://beretta92fs.com/index.html

Really worth bookmarking. I have the vids on CD now. On occasion, the site has gone down...

Thanks for the GREAT link ShipWreck!
I watched several of the Vids. this morning.

arcticlightfighter
07-18-12, 07:51
This continues to be one of my favorite pistols and the first semi-auto I owned. I qualified on it in basic at Ft Benning but being in an infantry unit, never carried one as I always had an MG or rifle.

Anyway, as a LEO, I had for a time carried one off duty. I feel that it is still a viable firearm for LEO use however, the one thing I noticed is when I ran my 92's hard, the sharp edges of the slide, frame and controls chewed up my hands compared to the polymer frame contemporaries. I was utterly reliable with all sorts of ammo and I dont recall a FTF/FTE with mine. The only Beretta malfunction I recall was when I cleared a SWAT officers FTE on his .40 Beretta 96 which was the result of an errant 9mm round that found its way into his magazine. The Beretta fired the round just fine but of course the chamber didnt support the 9mm chamber causing the casing to split.

I think that the legitimate complaints of the 92 series are its overly large size for the caliber (compare it to a G19 with the same capacity for example), limited sight options (which can be addressed with the 92A1 model as well as the Vertec and Elite slides) and the DA/SA trigger compared to the Glock or M&P triggers which I think is an
"apples and oranges" debate.

Overall, I would have complete confidence in a Beretta M9/9X series pistol as a carry piece with the right training and ammo choice.

Ill echo the advice of the posters above, the MECGAR mags are an absolute necessity, I like the "D" spring and elite hammer.

Good holster. Federal 147 gr HST and lots of practice ammo youll be GTG.

ShipWreck
07-18-12, 11:53
Well, its also not that big of a deal to get night sights put on them - even with the fixed front sight.

Tooltech Gunsight does it. I had two slides done last year. I believe they do the factory night sights for Beretta. They replace the rear sight and drill the front. Not a huge deal

shootist1970
07-18-12, 21:02
How do i know if mine was made in italy or not?

This one says "Made in Italy" yet right below it is "Beretta USA AKK. MD."

Also mine is weird, it has that shiny polymer on the slide , but the rest of the gun is black phospated.

ShipWreck
07-19-12, 06:22
How do i know if mine was made in italy or not?

This one says "Made in Italy" yet right below it is "Beretta USA AKK. MD."

Also mine is weird, it has that shiny polymer on the slide , but the rest of the gun is black phospated.

US law requirs the american importer to be listed on a gun. However, the slide will either say "Made in Italy" or "Made in the USA" - that tells you where the entire gun is from .

Also, USA made berettas have a serial # starting with: BER

Italian made models of the 92 have a serial # that starts with "J"

Also, the frame is anodized aluminum. The slide is covered in Bruniton.

Gem1950
07-19-12, 23:22
One of the best kept secret sources IMO for magazines of various flavors at reasonable prices and good service.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=a7ac031790d337897c85fc1d98a6b9c9&manufacturers_id=5&sort=20a&filter_id=126&alpha_filter_id=0