PDA

View Full Version : XD-S

Mike169
07-15-12, 17:39
To clarify, this is a discussion related to the Springfield XD-s, single stack .45ACP

I've not seen much discussion here about the XD-S. I got to handle one the other day at the shop and I really liked how it felt in my hands, I also liked how the trigger felt on dry fire. I asked my cop buddy about it and he said (half jokingly) that he doesn't associate with people who own XD pistols, so he wasn't able to guide me to someone who owned one so I could test fire.

I consider you guys/gals to be more serious shooters and far less biased than any discussion I could find on XDTalk. So I ask you, what are your thoughts about the XD-S and the XD line as a whole?

Thanks

mkmckinley
07-15-12, 17:46
There's a ton of info here at your disposal already. Just use the search function.

Wheelhouse
07-15-12, 18:48
I'm on a wait list for one. I also handled one at a shop and really liked it. The trigger is fine to me, w/ a very good reset. Much better than a stock M&P trigger (not Shield's) IMO. Both of my M&Ps have Apex parts in them because the triggers as so bad. Will carry it AIWB to replace the Ruger LC9. A year or so ago rented and shot both the Kahr PM9 and PM45, expecting to end up w/ the 45. Did not care for either of them for the price; slide stop was main problem for me and my grip.

Figured I would end up w/ a Shield after they released them, and it feels great in the hand too. I think I've just wanted a .45 for a while small enough for me to carry AIWB, be reliable and have a good trigger. Don't like the revolver-style triggers on the LC9 and Kahrs. Just my opinion. And the XDs will be popular enough to have a good following in the holster and accessories market.

People have diff. opinions about all kinds of guns and brands. All I know is that Springfield sells a lot of 'em and people I talk to who have them really like them. I had an XD9 a few years ago and let it go only because the slide release also bit my thumb because of my grip (like the Kahrs). This was a gun I had before I learned the thumbs forward grip. Other then that, I had no complaints. Felt great in the hand, w/ no issues after a few thousand rounds.

Anyway, looking forward to the XDs!

VIP3R 237
07-15-12, 18:59
I fired one a the range this weekend and here are my thoughts.

The trigger is creepy but relatively light and consistent.
Very small for a 45, yet suprisingly accurate, however with +P loads it is hard to control, my wife did not like it at all.
The unsupported chamber wall on the left side is very thin, probably do not want to put many +P rounds through it.
Another interesting observation is the gip safety does not need to be depressed to manipulate the slide as all of the other XD models require you to do so.
It functioned well, but i only put 25 rounds through it.

Overall i think its a decent pistol, however if you already have a Glock 36 i wouldn't rush out and get a XDs, i'd keep the Glock. My main question is why did SA release a 45 first?

Mike169
07-15-12, 19:35
There's a ton of info here at your disposal already. Just use the search function.

There is one 4 page thread from the shot show (before anyone owned this gun) that was last posted on 2 months ago.

I wish people would stop immediately clicking "reply" and typing "use the search", it's just a poor assumption really.

mkmckinley
07-15-12, 19:45
Fair enough. I actually thought you were trying to type "XD's" like XD plural. I'm not sure how much of the XD conventional wisdom applies to the XDs. I hope you find the information you're looking for.

Mike169
07-15-12, 19:56
Fair enough. I actually thought you were trying to type "XD's" like XD plural. I'm not sure how much of the XD conventional wisdom applies to the XDs. I hope you find the information you're looking for.

Ah, yeah I can see how that can be confusing, poor name choice springfield!

F-Trooper05
07-15-12, 22:26
No one hates the XD platform more than me, but I have to admit that the XDs has my attention. The fact that the grip safety doesn't need to be depressed to rack the slide is outstanding, and the fact that it's a fraction the size of a G36 with only one less round is awesome. I have to give it to SA, this gun was well executed.

Still, I have little if any use for .45's, and even less use for small guns that are too large for my pockets, yet too small to carry IWB.

VIP3R 237
07-15-12, 22:44
No one hates the XD platform more than me, but I have to admit that the XDs has my attention. The fact that the grip safety doesn't need to be depressed to rack the slide is outstanding, and the fact that it's a fraction the size of a G36 with only one less round is awesome. I have to give it to SA, this gun was well executed.

Still, I have little if any use for .45's, and even less use for small guns that are too large for my pockets, yet too small to carry IWB.

It isnt that much smaller than the G36. The XDs is not as long as the G36 but it is taller in height. i'll take a picture tomorrow so we can see the size difference.

VIP3R 237
07-16-12, 11:02
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20120716_094432.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20120716_094532.jpg

WillBrink
07-16-12, 11:21
To clarify, this is a discussion related to the Springfield XD-s, single stack .45ACP

I've not seen much discussion here about the XDs. I got to handle one the other day at the shop and I really liked how it felt in my hands, I also liked how the trigger felt on dry fire. I asked my cop buddy about it and he said (half jokingly) that he doesn't associate with people who own XD pistols, so he wasn't able to guide me to someone who owned one so I could test fire.

I consider you guys/gals to be more serious shooters and far less biased than any discussion I could find on XDTalk. So I ask you, what are your thoughts about the XDs and the XD line as a whole?

Thanks

The search function is your friend. There's multiple threads.

C4IGrant
07-16-12, 11:31
The best way to put it is that the XD or XDM represents a fair option, but there are many choice in front of it that are going to be superior. So unless someone either gives you one or you get a smokin deal, it is better to go with a Glock, M&P, HK product or Walther PPQ.

C4

Mike169
07-16-12, 11:50
Can I please get a mod to re-title this thread "XD-S??" as there is creating quite a bit of confusion at this point.

Mike169
07-16-12, 11:55
It isnt that much smaller than the G36. The XDs is not as long as the G36 but it is taller in height. i'll take a picture tomorrow so we can see the size difference.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20120716_094432.jpg

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/IMG_20120716_094532.jpg

The width is what makes all the difference in the world IMHO. Yes, height and length wise they are similar, but it's about the same as saying the Glock 30 (which I own and love) "isn't that much bigger" than a Glock 36..

The search function is your friend. There's multiple threads.

Unless I have missed in in my multiple searches for "springfield", "xds" and "xd-s", then there is only 1 other thread for this particular pistol, and it was last posted on well before they were released.

VIP3R 237
07-16-12, 13:22
The width is what makes all the difference in the world IMHO. Yes, height and length wise they are similar, but it's about the same as saying the Glock 30 (which I own and love) "isn't that much bigger" than a Glock 36..

I just mic'ed both guns. Width on the XDs is .920 vs the G36 at 1.03, 0.11 is not much a difference.

WillBrink
07-16-12, 15:18
Unless I have missed in in my multiple searches for "springfield", "xds" and "xd-s", then there is only 1 other thread for this particular pistol, and it was last posted on well before they were released.

You didn't ask about that particular pistol, you asked:

" what are your thoughts about the XDs and the XD line as a whole?"

Which can easily be found in a few threads, one of which I started.

Regardless, Grant summed it up nicely; "a fair option, but there are many choice in front of it that are going to be superior" and you'll be better served by the guns he listed by most accounts. ;)

Mike169
07-16-12, 15:30
You didn't ask about that particular pistol, you asked:

" what are your thoughts about the XDs and the XD line as a whole?"

Which can easily be found in a few threads, one of which I started.

Regardless, Grant summed it up nicely; "a fair option, but there are many choice in front of it that are going to be superior" and you'll be better served by the guns he listed by most accounts. ;)

Right, which is why I added the bolded line at the top stating "This thread is about the XD-S, the slimline .45acp" because I recognized that by simply typing XDs, it made it seem as if I were referring to the plural of XD.

There are not very many options out there for a .45acp out there in this size/package, there are a handful, the kahr, the glock 36, and the xd-s.

Mike169
07-16-12, 15:34
I just mic'ed both guns. Width on the XDs is .920 vs the G36 at 1.03, 0.11 is not much a difference.

<shrug> I carry IWB, and most would agree that 1/10" difference is actually significant when it comes to IWB carry, I know I'm not alone in this thought. I do appreciate the measurements though!

(btw, if my previous post wasn't clear, I own a Glock 30, not a GLock 36).

VIP3R 237
07-16-12, 18:20
(btw, if my previous post wasn't clear, I own a Glock 30, not a GLock 36).

Oh ok i misunderstood. The XDs is much smaller than the G30 for sure, so i can see your point.

ArmedPete
07-16-12, 20:19
I finally got my hands on one today. It is a nice size, but I do not care for grip safetys so it is not for me.
If you are looking to carry a .45 this would be an option to look at. It does feel good in the hand.

ssracer
07-16-12, 20:24
My main question is why did SA release a 45 first?

My thought on that is that the market has been flooded lately with single stack pocket 9mm pistols. So how do you stand out? Come out with a bang....litterally....and start with a .45 pocket pistol.

I've been intrigued by these as well and would love to shoot one.

Wheelhouse
07-17-12, 05:59
Picked mine up yesterday ($519) and will give you more feedback after I get time to get to the range w/ it. I'm now in process of trying to find a good AIWB for it. At this point most interested in the PHLster Skeleton and Garrett's IWB. Garrett said will have a mold gun in prox. Two weeks, haven't heard back from PHLster.

stmcelroy
07-17-12, 22:45
Picking my XD-s up tomorrow, but did get to fondle one today and even compare to my Shield. I have to say the SA did a great job on this gun it's basically the same exact size as the Shield but in .45acp instead of 9/40.

While my Shield has a decent trigger I found the trigger on the XDs to be much better.

Can't wait to get it tomorrow, go shoot and start making some holsters for it(www.rkbaholsters.com).

Wheelhouse
07-18-12, 21:45
My main question is why did SA release a 45 first?

From writer Patrick Sweeney, Guns & Ammo:

"When the XDs was on display on the SHOT Show floor, the first question I heard was “Why not 9mm or .40 S&W?” Relax. Springfield is well aware that whatever caliber it unveiled it in first, it would be second-guessed. Look at it this way: a compact carry gun in .45 ACP is relatively easy to tune down to .40 or 9mm. Springfield started with the big stick, the difficult-to-manage engineering task first. Now it’ll be an easier refinement to make it in lesser calibers."