PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a Vltor 12' VIS to 9''?

T-Dot
07-16-12, 00:58
Hey folks,

I had a question for anyone with experience with the Vltor VIS rail system or anyone with any gun smithing insight: Right now, I'm sitting on a 12'' rifle length VIS and am going for a different build where I'm looking for the 9'' mid-length version. Instead of paying/trading for a whole new one, someone suggested that I simply take the rail to a gunsmith and just carve the thing down to the size I need. I've taken a look at some of the pictures (I'm away from the rifle for the time being) and notice at the forward 3/4 of the rail there's a sort of notch on the under-rail where the polylithic sections fit together, but I'm not certain this would be a problem that couldn't be solved.

1. Is it a reasonable option to take the gun smithing route and save the hassle of paying for a new rail or trading? If this is an option, does anyone with experience have a ballpark for how much this sort of thing would cost?

2. Is this idea completely asinine, and should I take a knee and punch myself in the face for even considering possibly ruining a perfectly good rail?

I'm afraid the search button hasn't yielded anything on this, and I'm not in a place where I can take the part in for appraisal myself. I'm looking to shorten the rail for a few reasons: 1. I wanted to save weight/change the distribution (even a few ounces) 2. I don't have a need for all that rail. 3. I'm going with a FSB this time around. Thanks for the input in advance.

Iraqgunz
07-16-12, 01:08
If it is new I don't see where the hassle is. One thing is for sure. Even if you find someone remotely qualified to dothe work, you will destroy the value of the entire rail.

Tzook
07-16-12, 07:34
If it is new I don't see where the hassle is. One thing is for sure. Even if you find someone remotely qualified to dothe work, you will destroy the value of the entire rail.

This. I wouldn't even think of doing something like this. A chopped VIS is worthless, a 9" that you swapped for is still worth something.... If this were some cheapo UTG quadrail I may have different advice for you....

scoutfsu99
07-16-12, 07:51
If you're going to do it, send it to someone reliable like Marvin Pitts or another reputable guy......probably not your local gunsmith.

Even then, I probably wouldn't do it unless I wanted to do something exotic like cutting it down to 9 or 10 and working in a gap for a switch block. Otherwise, just try to trade it for a shorter length rail.

militarymoron
07-16-12, 09:44
don't do it. it's not like cutting down a one-piece tube. the lower handguard attaches to the top one at the front. the top handguard has two pins on the inside. even if you relocate the pins, you'll have to midify the lower handguard as well. it's not as simple as just shortening the lower handguard and heatshield. the lower handguard has raised cutouts which engage the upper handguard pins. the raised portion is only at the front of the lower handguard. if you cut off this raised portion, you don't have enough material left to make the cutouts strong enough.

if you sell your 12" VIS on the EE and buy a 9" VIS, you'll spend less than having the 12" VIS modified to 9".

SpankMonkey
07-16-12, 12:10
don't do it. it's not like cutting down a one-piece tube. the lower handguard attaches to the top one at the front. the top handguard has two pins on the inside. even if you relocate the pins, you'll have to midify the lower handguard as well. it's not as simple as just shortening the lower handguard and heatshield. the lower handguard has raised cutouts which engage the upper handguard pins. the raised portion is only at the front of the lower handguard. if you cut off this raised portion, you don't have enough material left to make the cutouts strong enough.

if you sell your 12" VIS on the EE and buy a 9" VIS, you'll spend less than having the 12" VIS modified to 9".

MM is right. Best advice is to sell the 12" and buy a 9".

Peshawar
07-16-12, 13:05
I have a new 10" extended midlength I will trade you. Pm me if you're interested.

T-Dot
07-17-12, 00:19
Thanks for the replies: it looks like option number 2 for me then (the self-face punching). I had a feeling it was a bad idea, but I appreciate everyone entertaining it. I will be going with a new or trade.