PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with eye dominance

m1a convert
07-16-12, 11:52
I am right eye dominant and because of that I can't shoot from my left shoulder because I can't see the sights. (My eye dominates that much) I would like to train/strengthen my left eye so I can shoot from both shoulders.

How do I do that?

lunchbox
07-16-12, 11:59
I am right eye dominant and because of that I can't shoot from my left shoulder because I can't see the sights. (My eye dominates that much) I would like to train/strengthen my left eye so I can shoot from both shoulders.

How do I do that?
Welcome to the forum. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=106553&highlight=RDS+eye+dominance The search feature here can help you access all the post relating to your questions.BTW I used an old pair of sun glasses and a peice of paper to cover up eye.

SpankMonkey
07-16-12, 12:01

How do I do that?

Very simple.... Close your right eye when shooting left handed.

m1a convert
07-16-12, 12:08
I need a solution that works in transitioning in CQB at speed rapidly. That means somehow figuring out how to train my eye.

I really don't want to close my dominate eye to shoot off my left shoulder as I would lose FOV etc.

El Cid
07-16-12, 12:43
I need a solution that works in transitioning in CQB at speed rapidly. That means somehow figuring out how to train my eye.

I really don't want to close my dominate eye to shoot off my left shoulder as I would lose FOV etc.

It took some time, but the eyepatch worked for me. I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. My rifle coach gave me an eye patch to wear and over several months, I got to where I can shoot both eyes open from either side with irons, optics, beads, etc.

SpankMonkey
07-16-12, 12:44

Your right and you won't. But first you need to train your brain to switch when you move to your left shoulder. Start by closing your right eye and getting a sight picture when you move to your left side. This will take some time. But it does work.

After some time, it will become natural when you switch to your left side. After some point, your going to realize you are doing it naturally.

After you have it down naturally start opening your right eye. This will take even more time but you can do it.

Train the brain, the body will follow.

SA80Dan
07-16-12, 17:43

If ultimate speed is what you are after, an unmagnified red dot sight is really the thing. With a target focus and both eyes open, you'll still see the dot on the target no matter what strength of dominance you have.

Using irons with your off-eye, you are always going to have to make some sort of compromise. You'll be able to train it out to some degree but it'll still be there.

jasonhgross
07-16-12, 17:48
What I learned from John Holschen:

If you are cross dominant use your naturally provided visual occlusion device to momentarily stop vision in the eye you are not using to align the sights.

Now this advice was for pistol, but it works for carbine if that is a problem.

Hehuhates
07-16-12, 18:00
use your naturally provided visual occlusion device to momentarily stop vision in the eye you are not using or........:blink:close your non aiming eye

Kokopelli
07-16-12, 18:06

There-ya go.. Works for me.. Ron

ChocLab
07-16-12, 22:18
M1a convert,

Check out the following thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96701

Failure2Stop's idea worked great for me.

I taped one side over clear shooting glasses with scotch tape since I couldn't close my non dominant eye. After a while of practicing shoulder the rifling on my weak side, I trained my left eye where to look and can now shoot both eyes open from my left side.

I keep a cheap airsoft m4 clone around my house to practice weak side time to time to exercise it.

Hope this helps.

trinydex
07-17-12, 01:51

I find when initially acquiring a nondominant eye sight picture from a low ready or otherwise broken cheekweld I must close dominant eye so that the sights are quick to pick up. after initial acquisition, both eyes can play. don't know if this is a supoort hand lack of training issue.

M4Fundi
07-17-12, 02:43
Simple use an Aimpoint "correctly" and it does not matter. I am curse eye dominant and when I was issued irons I was screwed and had to squint. When I got an Aimpoint both eyes open from either shoulder no problem..... just look at your target and do not focus on the the dot.

There are several VERY thorough threads about this if you search

HelloLarry
07-17-12, 15:30

How do I do that?

Mount a scope.

ChuckTait
07-17-12, 20:23
I was a right handed and left eye dominant. What I did was buy 2 shooting glasses, one with dark lens and one yellow lens. I took yellow shooting glasses and removed the a lens, replacing with dark lens from 2nd shooting glasses, and did the same with the other. Just put the shooting glasses with yellow lens on the side you want to shoot. It took me a while, but I was able to train my brain to concentrate on the side or the eye I want. BTW, you can practice off range by pointing with one hand while trying to concentrate seeing from the eye from the same side.

Blayglock
07-17-12, 21:47

Smart man is smart.

M4Fundi
07-17-12, 22:04
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62640&highlight=curse-eyed

Surf
07-18-12, 13:40
I am going to say that I truly think that the one closed eye and situational awareness topic is waaaaaaay overblown.

1 - When working a structure etc, we are head up two eyes open. We are not in search mode with one eye closed.

2 - Even when encountering potential threats in some type of ready position we are still head up and two eyes open. We are not addressing potential threats with one eye closed.

3 - I am not advocating point shooting but when we engage a threat at common CQB distances we often keep two eyes open and might use a slide reference or front sight reference during the engagement. I am not talking about point shooting.

4 - When a shooter actually needs more precision and perhaps closes one eye or squints to force dominance into the correct eye to break a shot, it is only for those milliseconds in time when hard focus is put on our sight alignment / sight picture anyway. With this type of intensive focus, in a life and death situation where the tunnel vision may be closing in around us anyway, I would wager that 99.9% of shooters who shoot two eyes open, see no more around them in that milisecond in time than someone who may close an eye or squint to force dominance during the time it takes to break the shot. In other words you are so threat focused when engaging the trigger with a precision sight alignment / sight picture, your situational awareness will be the same one eye open or one eye shut for that period of time when you are pulling trigger.

5 - Shots stop, assessment occurs and two eyes are open. Blood starts flowing, tunnel starts expanding, field of view starts opening up again and both eyes are open. I have not seen anyone have a greater benefit in that split second, when there is such a hard threat focus. But then again if you are that .1% then I applaud you!

agr1279
07-19-12, 06:24

How do I do that?

It can be done but takes a lot of work. Use something to block your dominate eye while training at the range and dry firing around the house. It is easy to allow the dominate eye to take over but it can done.

Dan

JSantoro
07-19-12, 07:56
1. This belongs in the Training subforum.

2. This has been done, as other members have cited, and there's no expiration date on this kind of info.