PDA

View Full Version : Installing Wilson Trac-Lock Sights

DM-SC
01-23-08, 10:04
I'm considering adding a set of Wilson Trac-Lock sights to my 870. The front one seems easy enough to install.

How about the rear? Their site states that installation is "easy"! Doesn't the receiver need to be drilled and tapped? Is that an EASY thing for an average equipped (skills and tools) person to do?

Kurt Reifert
01-23-08, 12:37
Hears a clue; The Wilson Trac Locs are actually make by Trijicon, but the ones Trijicon sells come with two rear lamps and the Wilsons only have the front lamp.
Get the Trijicons. They are also cheaper!
Trijicon part number: RE04

Installation is not a big deal if you have a small drill press and the correct size drill and tap. I use a caliper to measure where the holes are to be drilled.
I also cross pin the front sight just to be sure it can't get knocked off.

If you're unsure of your ability to handle the job, any decent gunsmith or machinist should be able to do it for you for a nominal fee.

Buck
01-24-08, 00:51
Before you install the Wilson rear sight, I would really recommend that you look at the MMC or LPA rear peep sights... I think they are both better designs than the Wilson unit... The receiver needs to be drilled and tapped for instantiation, but if you want a rear peep on an 870, both MMC and LPA make a great sight...

Just my .02

Buck

Kurt Reifert
01-24-08, 06:35
Interesting.
What is it that you like about those other designs?
I really like the trac locs, but I'm open minded.

Frank Castle
01-24-08, 07:30
Obviously I'm not Buck, but I will state that I prefer the LPA's because 1) the wings protect the rear aperature and 2) when used in conjunction with the LPA front you have a sight picture very similar to the AR/M4/M16 weapons platform (establishes a commonality in sight pictures for my primary long guns).

Kurt Reifert
01-24-08, 07:48
The common sight picture I can understand, but I'm not a fan of the protective wings. To me, they are un-necessary clutter.

toddackerman
01-27-08, 17:37
Whatever you do...silver solder the front sight after installation or you could find it in the dirt someday.

stony275
01-27-08, 23:03
There is a jig for drilling the holes for the Trac Loc. I do not know if Brownells still sells it (that's where I got mine in 2000)

Buck
01-28-08, 01:17
Interesting.
What is it that you like about those other designs?
I really like the trac locs, but I'm open minded.

Sorry for the delay in responding... I lost track of this thread...

IMHO the Wilson front sight is way too wide… If you ever want to use slugs past 20 meters or so the front sight is wider than the target… The adjustments on the rear sights are not very positive and they have a tendency to get knocked out of adjustment… Additionally Wilson uses an epoxy type of glue to attach the front sight and after a little field use they tend to fall off…

If you really wanted a Wilson rear sight be sure to purchase the jig so it gets aligned correctly, but I would look at a XS type front to match up with it… I really like the standard 20 inch barrel with rifle night sights and a IC choke the best, but that’s what works well for me, YMMV….

GastonG-NoVa
01-28-08, 22:13
If you really wanted a Wilson rear sight be sure to purchase the jig so it gets aligned correctly, but I would look at a XS type front to match up with it… I really like the standard 20 inch barrel with rifle night sights and a IC choke the best, but that’s what works well for me, YMMV….

I really like the same set-up, but I like my 14" barreled 870 SBS a little better than that long one. The Trijicon night sights that I have, give a very similar sight picture to that on my Glock. I have let others use the shotgun, and they have given a similar reply.

Kurt Reifert
01-29-08, 06:20
I've always cross pinned the front sight with a roll pin along with the epoxy on the wilsons.
I've intalled a lot of them, but never saw the need for a jig.
Just carefully measure, then drill and tap two holes. Not a big deal.