PDA

View Full Version : Need guidance preparing for first trust

byrddawg
07-16-12, 18:39
Hello, I am new to firearms and need help advice on the last details of completing my gun trust. I just bought my first class III item online.

I live in Texas if that matters.

Local dealer handling the transfer says they use a guy locally to do trusts, but cost $700. This sounds high from research I have done online. I am not opposed to paying this, but do not want to pay more than necessary. Guntrust.com (http://www.guntrust.com/?gclid=CK6yn8eln7ECFQKEnQodhUtpXQ) charges $349 and says I will have it in 10mins. I should state that I have absolutely no prior experience with trusts, purchasing firearms online, or dealing with transfer dealers. I do not even know how a trust is structured or what information it needs to retain.

Q1 - Has anyone used Guntrust.com or a similar Site before? Did you feel it met the legal standards?

Q2 - I plan on buying more class III items eventually. Should I take this into consideration now? Could this affect the way it should be set up now? I would much rather spend more money on the trust now if it will make buying other items in the future more pain free as opposed to finding out later that the lawyer just slapped a quicky together for this one gun and needs to charge full price to redo the whole thing to incorporate additional firearms.

I appreciate your advice and anything you might add that you feel will benefit me.

justlikeanyoneelse
07-16-12, 19:29
A fee of 700 USD for a trust is unholy and despicable. I am also in Texas and my trust cost half that.

1- Never used Gun Trust so can not tell you that.

2- One of the main reasons for a trust is to own multiple NFA items and to avoid the whole CLEO, fingerprint etc, so a trust period will allow you to own multiple NFA items in the future.

My advice is see if you can find a reputable lawyer that won't charge an outrageous fee, I am sure someone else can provide a good ref.

Where in Texas are you? If your in the DFW area I could recommend the lawyer who did mine.

Good Luck

Hello, I am new to firearms and need help advice on the last details of completing my gun trust. I just bought my first class III item online.

Local dealer handling the transfer says they use a guy locally to do trusts, but cost $700. This sounds high from research I have done online. I am not opposed to paying this, but do not want to pay more than necessary. Guntrust.com (http://www.guntrust.com/?gclid=CK6yn8eln7ECFQKEnQodhUtpXQ) charges $349 and says I will have it in 10mins. I should state that I have absolutely no prior experience with trusts, purchasing firearms online, or dealing with transfer dealers. I do not even know how a trust is structured or what information it needs to retain.

Q1 - Has anyone used Guntrust.com or a similar Site before? Did you feel it met the legal standards?

Q2 - I plan on buying more class III items eventually. Should I take this into consideration now? Could this affect the way it should be set up now? I would much rather spend more money on the trust now if it will make buying other items in the future more pain free as opposed to finding out later that the lawyer just slapped a quicky together for this one gun and needs to charge full price to redo the whole thing to incorporate additional firearms.

I appreciate your advice and anything you might add that you feel will benefit me.

mallowpufft
07-16-12, 19:52
Local attorney here in VA does them for under $400. I used Quicken and had a friend who is a lawyer look it over after I took him shooting for the first time last week. He said it looks gtg and seemed impressed that $8.00 software did the trick. Or he was humoring me but I don't think he was...

Couple more months and I can send it in to SBR my lower.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

byrddawg
07-16-12, 19:59
Where in Texas are you? If your in the DFW area I could recommend the lawyer who did mine.

Good Luck

I live a couple hours away in Longview. If you do not mind, I will take you up on that recommendation. I will call and ask if they wouldn't mind doing it by mail/phone. Worse they could do is say no.

justlikeanyoneelse
07-16-12, 20:06
PM inbound

I live a couple hours away in Longview. If you do not mind, I will take you up on that recommendation. I will call and ask if they wouldn't mind doing it by mail/phone. Worse they could do is say no.

sangria7
07-16-12, 20:10
Also make sure you name your Trust that is easily engraved on your lower.

A lot of lawyers will write something like "The John R. Doe Revocable Living Gun Trust" in this case you will have engrave everything in quotes above as the AFT does not allow any abbreviations anymore.

So you have two options:

1. Specify the name of the trust to be like "J.R.D Gun Trust"
2. Or in the Trust have a section that states that "The John R. Doe Revocable Living Gun Trust" is also known as "J.R.D Gun Trust" and have all the privileges therein.

a. As for lawyers, you don't have to be near a Trust Lawyer, they can all do it remotely, just send the their fee plus a form you fill out; usually the pertinent information.

b. The Lawyer will send you the unsigned Trust, which you will have to bring to a Public Notary and sign on site, with them as a witness.

c. Once, Notarized and signed by you. Your Trust is complete. Make several copies to send off to the ATF with your Form 1 or Form 4.

byrddawg
07-16-12, 20:42
I purchased a complete (upper and lower) DD factory sbr. I was under the impression a factory sbr does not require engraving. Only DIY builds needed it. Is this correct?

Also, would storing a scanned copy of the trust online be safe enough in the case of fire/lose, or do you recommend keeping the original at a bank?

sangria7
07-16-12, 20:46
I purchased a complete (upper and lower) DD factory sbr. I was under the impression a factory sbr does not require engraving. Only DIY builds needed it. Is this correct?

Also, would storing a scanned copy of the trust online be safe enough in the case of fire/lose, or do you recommend keeping the original at a bank?

Yes no engraving if its manufactured. But I would just get your Trust Name shorter just in case you want to make your own one day.

As far as safe, depends on the kind of safe. I keep several copies just in case in several places. Even your car would be great no? ;)

munch520
07-17-12, 06:21

Do you have any friends that are lawyers? They'd most likely help you out, it's not a complicated document at all. A friend of mine sent me a 'fill in the blank' trust, citing how sick he was of lawyers taking advantage of all the recent trust requests.

Richard Belott
08-04-12, 10:58
I have the trust done what's next.

sangria7
08-04-12, 11:00
I have the trust done what's next.

Bring to Notary and get it notarized. DO NOT SIGN until you are there....
after make a at least 10 copies. Keep original somewhere safe.

Download NFA Forms and follow their instructions...

Usually if you buy a rifle youll need the serial first from the dealer. They will hold the rifle until you get your stamp.