PDA

View Full Version : What's the holdup on HK45 sight options!?

cpoth
07-16-12, 18:43
Title states my concern, I've read through previous discussions here about sight options and I'm curious as to why several manufacturers in the industry haven't responded to the need for sights in a popular set of pistols. Namely P30, HK45, and HK45c.

Anyone have a beat on a plain black rear and tritium front? I looked at some options from Dawson precision but the sight elevations seem to be incompatible. Heinie won't sell a plain rear and Trijicon won't sell a tritium front. Ameriglo doesn't even list the series and I'm really not a meprolight fan. The 10-8 performance rear sights are out of stock and as indicated on their site the front sights are still in the works.

What gives?

BOOSTjunkie
07-16-12, 18:49
i too find this fact very discouraging... i bought some meps but never really bothered installing them

i also wonder why for supposedly hks premier "tactical" handgun it came without true night sights

i own a 45c and the light options are also quite sad. nothing from surefire will fit it and the 300 compact doesnt look like its gonna happen anymore

FChen17213
07-16-12, 18:58
I suspect it is probably because the gun just hasn't gotten popular enough. Look at all the Glock and 1911 sight options out there. The M&P is also gaining number of options.

What interests me is whether HK will make a striker fired P30. FN made the FNS, but it doesn't seem to be a big hit despite all the recent Glock issues and M&P accuracy issues. Only time will tell I guess.

F-Trooper05
07-16-12, 18:59
Hopefully Redback One makes HK45 sights instead of USP sights like they're talking about. Everyone needs to bombard Jason with PM's :)

BOOSTjunkie
07-16-12, 19:04
I suspect it is probably because the gun just hasn't gotten popular enough. Look at all the Glock and 1911 sight options out there. The M&P is also gaining number of options.

What interests me is whether HK will make a striker fired P30. FN made the FNS, but it doesn't seem to be a big hit despite all the recent Glock issues and M&P accuracy issues. Only time will tell I guess.

when i first got the 45c, despite shooting da/sa sigs for a long time i couldnt get used to it so i got the LEM trigger. its still not the same as my workhorse glocks but it does bridge the gap between traditional da/sa and strikers

cpoth
07-17-12, 09:06
Maybe it would be helpful if people listed their preference as far as an ideal sight set for the P30, HK45, HK45c. If the one you like is already made list it anyway.

Joe R.
07-17-12, 13:14
As much as the HK45 and 45c are outstanding guns, they are far from "mainline" if you will. Designing, prototyping and producing a new sight is an expensive proposition. Manufacturers produce products based on projected sales and you are not going to sell all that many HK45 sights (in comparison to Glock or S&W M&P).

I am running the 10-8 rear on both my HK45 and P30. Until 10-8 comes on line with tritium fronts Dawson has several options that will work. My second choice would be the Heinies. If you don't like the tritium dot in the rear sight just take a black Sharpie marker and cover them up.

Kevin P
07-17-12, 14:08
Email Jason Falla and let him know your intrest. His contact info is in the RB1 sights thread.

He mentioned consideration for the RB1 sights for the HK45/ P30 pistols if there was enough intrest. 10-8 already has the rear sight with a U notch and plans to make a tritium front in the near future. It should not be to hard to have some sights with the RB1 specs.

Black goat
07-17-12, 14:29
FN made the FNS, but it doesn't seem to be a big hit despite all the recent Glock issues and M&P accuracy issues. Only time will tell I guess.

Yea, but they have some apparent teething issues (inconsistent triggers and their issue with locking up). If they fix those and get some more time on the market I could see them gaining a good user base. HArd to step up with the two longer standing competitors without any big contracts or other means to proliferate your new wares.

cpoth
07-17-12, 15:39
Thanks for the replies guys, however, not too interested in the progress of the FNS. Maybe thats for a different thread.

In the interest of keeping the conversation linear, I did send Jason Falla a message just to see if its something thats been on the radar. I'm sure he's got a lot going on so, if nothing else, its just an expression of interest in the product. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion Kevin and Ftrooper.

cpoth
07-17-12, 19:27
Joe, thanks for the input, I guess that explanation makes sense, I did not realize initially how costly of an undertaking it may be. I'll just hang on until the 10-8 ones come out I think. I don't know I just can't get used to the heinies. I had them on a g21 and they just aren't my favorite option - can't really explain it, I'm sure they are a quality product. Just personal preference I guess. According to 10-8's website, you should use a .155 height front sight. I'm looking around for one that's not meprolight but not having any luck. The tritium options from Dawson are listed as .170 - is it rediculous to worry about that making my poi too low?

Joe R.
07-17-12, 21:40
Contact Dawson and tell them what you are looking for they may be able to make it happen.

Worst case scenario get one of the plain black ones. Cut it to the right height to zero with your ammo and send it to Tool Tech to have a tritium insert put in.

cpoth
07-17-12, 22:07
I emailed Dawson regarding the tritium FS I'd like, I'll be sure to update when they get back to me. Thanks again for the help Joe.

LorenzoS
07-18-12, 01:03
I was under the impression that Dawson's P30 front matches the stock rear, which would make it compatable with the 10-8 rear. I hope this is the case.

cpoth
07-18-12, 06:36
Lorenzo, I would have thought the same. I should be getting some feedback from Dawson Precision today or tomorrow. I'll post what they have to say about their sight heights. The only reason I'm skeptical that they are the appropriate height are because of the 10-8 listing under HK45 sights (which mentions that it is compatible with a 0.155" front). The Dawson site shows 0.170" fronts (at least for the tritium models).

CP

loupav
07-19-12, 11:18
I am running the 10-8 rear on both my HK45 and P30. Until 10-8 comes on line with tritium fronts Dawson has several options that will work. My second choice would be the Heinies. If you don't like the tritium dot in the rear sight just take a black Sharpie marker and cover them up.

I use Heinies on my HK45. I think they're great sights just the way they are, but wished the made the "Ledge" model for it.

I'll take a look at the Dawson front sight options. Thanks.

Noodles
07-19-12, 12:40
Same holdup on sights for the PPQ, not popular enough.

Kevin P
07-19-12, 14:05
For people who have Heinies and want a ledge, Doug at AETi can machine the sights and put a ledge on. He is a member here.