PDA

View Full Version : B&C Medalist A5 & AccuShot Monopod

billybronco
07-16-12, 20:31
Evening Folks,

Need some recommendation(s) please gents. Been waiting for an updated version of the system. The locking models with the locking buttons are money. Used one and loved it.

I've got a Bell & Carlson A5 Medalist.....I need a stud mounting system; however, I see that the base that attaches to the stock is angled upward at like a 20 degree angle to fit your standard stock. Does the monopod lock at different intervals or only at 90 degrees???

Im afraid that if I buy this w/o some more info, it won't work properly. The underside of the B&C Medalist A5 is flat.

If the sling stud mounting system won't work, can anybody recommend a SOLID stud to picatinny rail adapter so I can buy Accu-Shot's PRM rail mount system?

Finally, what length locking elevation range (3.75 - 4.85 or 4.80 - 5.85) does everybody recommend for a Harris 6-9 AS WELL as an Atlas which I'll be purchasing in the near future.

Thanks to all.....

Boxerglocker
07-17-12, 11:55
My buddy has one on his R700 .308 with a B&C Medalist Tactical stock, I have a similar set-up in .223 and tried it on my rifle. The one he has has a shorter flatter base and is perpendicular to the bottom of his stock and imagine it would fit mine the same. I would call them up and ask exactly what model would work best. I actually prefer a rear bag, find its easier to transition from target to target.

billybronco
07-17-12, 13:49
yeah, neither B&C nor Accu Shot were any help.

The 17 year old girl at B&C who answered the phone said she was techincal support and advised me to go to either Brownell's or Numrich.

I said "Nevermind" as I've already looked everywhere. Not sure what I was hoping for.

AccuShot told me to "Attach a rail to the bottom of the buttstock and use one of their PRM monopods".

Gee whiz. Thanks.....Sounds super easy.

Lemme just start drilling holes and plugging with epoxy. I'll ruin that damn thing in a heartbeat AND void my warranty.

Besides, I've heard that B&C stocks aren't the best things to be drilling holes into.....Apparently, they don't take to modifications as well as others.

Oh well.....

billybronco
07-17-12, 13:50
BTW...

You mentioned an AccuShot with a shorter, flatter base....

I take it that it wasn't tapered or angled?

Nothing of the sort on their website or anywhere else.

???

Boxerglocker
07-19-12, 12:58
BTW...

You mentioned an AccuShot with a shorter, flatter base....

I take it that it wasn't tapered or angled?

Nothing of the sort on their website or anywhere else.

???

I just spoke to my buddy, he clarified that he did remove the stud matched the holes of a short piece of rail and went so far to open up the hole and epoxied in 10/32 inch blind nuts to attach it with.

billybronco
07-24-12, 15:45
thanks bossman

billybronco
07-24-12, 15:46
Finally, what length locking elevation range (3.75 - 4.85 or 4.80 - 5.85) does everybody recommend for a Harris 6-9 AS WELL as an Atlas which I'll be purchasing in the near future.

Warg
08-16-12, 02:04
The Accu-Shot monopods can only be locked in 90 degree and retracted positions.

There is not a flat mounted sling stud option from B&T or any other manufacturer that I'm aware. The only robust option would be use use a picatiny rail adaptor with monopods such as the BT12, BT12-QK, etc.

You could use sling stud already mounted on the bottom of the stock to fasten an Atlas picatinny rail and only have to epoxy one additional stud in the stock. Take a look at this thread (http://w.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1149145&page=5)showing such a config on a stock fore end:

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w366/jgallebishop/fitup.png

The slot in the rail will afford a decent amount of flexibility in mounting and I suspect it could be turned around depending on the distance between the sling stud and the hook on the stock.

For sizing, B&T recommends the following:

"Set you[r] rifle up on a flat level surface such as a table or shooting bench with the bipod set at the height you most commonly use. Then hold the rifle bore as close to level as possible. Then maintain this position of the rifle while you measure the distance from the point where the monopod attaches (Rear sling stud position measured from the stock or from the flat surface of the rail) down to the supporting flat surface. Then the ideal monopod will give you adjustment on both sides of this measurement."

Obviously a pic rail will add 3/16" or so.

Warg
08-16-12, 02:11
One more thing and this is likely obvious, but epoxy a steel or brass insert into the stock for your studs rather than epoxying the studs directly so you can easily remove and replace.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/33191-01-200.jpg

orkan
08-16-12, 09:40
Rear bag FTW.

Warg
08-16-12, 09:52
Rear bag FTW.

I concur. I recently added a monopod to my 5.56 precision rig and was immediately underwhelmed. Sucks on anthying other than a flat surface, takes too long to adjust, gets in the way even when retracted, added weight, etc.