PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Carbine vs Midlength Gas System rifle

Lunker
07-17-12, 08:16
I have a nice Colt 6940 that has been sufficiently emasculated (i.e. pinned stock, shaved bayo lug, surefire comp) to be legal in the People's Republic of New Jersey. It is a great and reliable rifle (except that it hates crappy steel cased ammo), super-light, and the comp gets it back on target really well for followup shots.
Unfortunately, I can't help myself but wonder if I want to try something else. The Bravo Recce-14 seems to be calling my name (as do various Daniel Defense and Spikes). I would consider just buying an upper, but it is too similar in intended purpose to my current rifle (i.e. fun and lightweight, run and gun) to justify having both. I haven't been able to get together yet with my buddy that has a mid-length gas BCM rifle. I don't know if his ravings about the reduced recoil impulse compared to carbine length are real or perceived (i.e. he wants to believe it because he spent $$$ on a mid-length). It would be nice to have a shorter rifle though.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

gs013564
07-17-12, 08:27
I have no personal experience to give you an answer on the benefits of switching from a carbine to a mid-length. If nothing else, at least you would have a backup rifle if your carbine goes down (or vice versa). That's how I would look at it.

I know that a lot of members on the board have said that it really boils down to personal preference and that the difference is small enough that a lot of them would not jump from carbine to mid-length just for the additional "benefits". Again, that is just from what I've read, not personal experience.

Failure2Stop
07-17-12, 08:28
I don't understand your comment, "It would be nice to have a shorter rifle though."
Minimum barrel length before getting into NFA territory is 16", no matter what your gas system is.

Mid versus CAR:
The difference in dot bounce is noticable, but not significant, so it should not be "the" reason to go with a 16" middie or your will be disappointed.
That being said, the 14.5 middies are reported to be noticably softer, but I haven't shot one so I cannot comment.

Lunker
07-17-12, 08:32
I don't understand your comment, "It would be nice to have a shorter rifle though."
Minimum barrel length before getting into NFA territory is 16", no matter what your gas system is.

Mid versus CAR:
The difference in dot bounce is noticable, but not significant, so it should not be "the" reason to go with a 16" middie or your will be disappointed.
That being said, the 14.5 middies are reported to be noticably softer, but I haven't shot one so I cannot comment.

Sorry for not being more clear. My Colt has a 16" barrel, plus the Surefire MB556AR muzzle brake. Overall barrel length is about 17.75".

Failure2Stop
07-17-12, 08:35
Sorry, my Colt has a 16" barrel, plus the Surefire MB556AR muzzle brake. Overall barrel length is about 17.75".

You're not going to notice any difference in length of barrel due to muzzle device. The differences are just too small.
There is a noticable difference between 14.5" and 16" barrels, but that difference is still pretty negligable.

Guns-up.50
07-17-12, 08:45
I dont feel as if the middy offers anymore than a carbine gas. I bought a V5 after shooting several middy's, but I almost exclusively run carbine. No bc's or brakes just a good old fighting gun and I can say the recoil is much more significant.
Besides if you want to put a can on it we have experienced issues with the middy's not cycling.

richiecotite
07-17-12, 08:48
You're not going to notice any difference in length of barrel due to muzzle device. The differences are just too small.
There is a noticable difference between 14.5" and 16" barrels, but that difference is still pretty negligable.

The way i read it, he has a pinned 16" and is looking at a pinned 14.5"

Guns-up.50
07-17-12, 08:49

I agree, my colt barrel is 14.5 and the dd is still 16+, that small inch and a half makes the rifle handle much better (IMO) especially in tighter quarters.

Lunker
07-17-12, 09:06
Besides if you want to put a can on it we have experienced issues with the middy's not cycling.

My friend, clearly you have not been to New Jersey recently. :)
NFA is only for those in Free America.

Guns-up.50
07-17-12, 09:12
My friend, clearly you have not been to New Jersey recently. :)
NFA is only for those in Free America.

NOPE, but hold out because MI was in the similar sit not too long ago, we just started allowing cans this year..

Lunker
07-17-12, 09:14
NOPE, but hold out because MI was in the similar sit not too long ago, we just started allowing cans this year..

I try to keep up hope, but remember that New Jersey is the state that gave the whole country the Assault Weapon Ban. We had it first, and we never got rid of it.

JSantoro
07-17-12, 09:41
This has been done.

Orange Search button, keywords "Carbine vs. Midlength."

https://www.m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=Carbine+vs+Midlength+&sa=Search&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fforum.php&ref=www.m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D109251&ss=

We ask that members utilize the Search features prior to posting new threads, in addition to reading the stickied threads at the top of the subforums, which contain answers to "boilerplate" or frequently-asked techincal questions. The purpose is to limit the number of duplicate threads as best as possible.

You my add new questions or new info to older, existing theads; it's not considered necro-posting if it's additive to the thread.