PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a suppressor to fit a Vortex falsh suppressor.

Mauser KAR98K
07-17-12, 16:17
I am seeking to get a suppressor in the future, but I have a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor and I don't know what "other" suppressors can fit on it. Am I stuck with the expensive Windtalker, or are there more options? Really don't want to break the bank in order to shoot a little quieter around my neighbors.

The upper it will be fitted on is a LMY MRP rifle length rail system, 5.56 chambered barrel and the vortex.

the_accuser
07-17-12, 17:59
I thought the Gemtech Halo was supposed to be compatible with the vortex flash hider. You may want to contact them to find out.

KalashniKEV
07-18-12, 13:14
I thought the Gemtech Halo was supposed to be compatible with the vortex flash hider. You may want to contact them to find out.

The later model HALOs will work with the Vortex.

Mauser KAR98K
07-18-12, 14:52
10-4. I have read up on the HALO, and it looks like a viable choice.

But, is are there more out there that can fit? Options are great.

the_accuser
07-18-12, 16:52
How about contacting SilencerCo to see if their new Saker can will be compatible with the Vortex. If so that may be worth the wait for sure.

Pappabear
07-18-12, 17:10
Choose the can, then choose the adapter.

gun71530
07-18-12, 19:43

This.....

Mauser KAR98K
07-18-12, 21:14

I would have iked to, but, the MRP I got was a great deal with the barrel, and I wasn't going to spend a crap load of money when I didn't have it. So, here I am.

Next barrel I won't have this problem.

cj5_dude
07-18-12, 23:05
No, the next barrel you will still have this same problem. Unless you get the HALO whatever suppressor you choose will need to be mated to it's partner flash hider/comp. So if you get a suppressor to fit your current Vortex then you will need a Vortex on every future upper if you ever want to put that same suppressor on it. Unless you've got lots of time and money and want a different suppressor for every upper which it sounds like you don't have.

Pick a suppressor you want, save up a hundred bucks more, and get the flash hider that fits what you want. Even if your current Vortex is pinned that's fixable. Don't throw good money after bad.

KalashniKEV
07-19-12, 14:29
So if you get a suppressor to fit your current Vortex then you will need a Vortex on every future upper if you ever want to put that same suppressor on it.

That's not true.

The HALO works with any NATO standard 22mm FH.

What types of flash hiders/brakes will the HALO fit?

The HALO is designed to fit any NATO Standard flash hider/brake. This includes the USGI A1 and A2 birdcage flash hiders, as well as the M249 SAW, HK, FN FNC, and others. It will also fit the Primary Weapons SM556 brake, VLTOR VC1 flash hider, and new for 2010, the Smith Vortex flash hider. HALOs made prior to 2010 (Serial number will start with an "S09-" or earlier date code.) will NOT fit the Vortex style flash hiders, but will fit the PWS FSC556 compensator. Newer HALOs with "S10-" prefixes on, should fit the SM556, but not the earlier PWS FSC.