PDA

View Full Version : Spikes .22LR Conversion?

wahoo95
01-23-08, 17:19
Been looking at getting one of those Spikes Tactical Uppers.
My question whether it is possible to effectively suppress this rifle with the 16" barrel?

redtazdog
01-23-08, 20:57
Yep!
Like this one
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/22LRAR15small.jpg

C4IGrant
01-26-08, 12:57
Been looking at getting one of those Spikes Tactical Uppers.
My question whether it is possible to effectively suppress this rifle with the 16" barrel?

We have built several of them and everyone of them we had to hand file (blend) the feed ramp and polish the chamber in order to get them to run well.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TACSOL/22%20AR%20in%20case.jpg

markm
01-26-08, 13:37
We have built several of them and everyone of them we had to hand file (blend) the feed ramp and polish the chamber in order to get them to run well.

Yep. I have a buddy who has one. He finally got it running like a champ, but it took some effort.

C4IGrant
01-26-08, 13:40
Yep. I have a buddy who has one. He finally got it running like a champ, but it took some effort.

Interesting you say that because I was wondering if ST was doing all the work we were doing in order to make them run well. Apparently they are not.

C4

Madsmiley
01-26-08, 20:00
Just passed a 10" on to a friend of mine..Running it with my M4-02 and it's scary quite..:cool:

The Archangel
01-29-08, 14:14

C4

Bah.. horsedung. My wife loves the Spike's Upper and the FTE is just a training opportunity. :D

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/128/7770/216554.jpg

Oh yeah and it's stupid quiet with subsonic ammo. I'm Madsmiley's friend.

SinnFéinM1911
01-29-08, 15:00
Bah.. horsedung. My wife loves the Spike's Upper and the FTE is just a training opportunity. :D

Maybe you should let her borrow some mad cool eye pro next time also :D

wahoo95
01-29-08, 17:52

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/128/7770/216554.jpg

What set up does your wife have?

The Archangel
01-29-08, 18:53
What set up does your wife have?

Spike's 10" Tactical Upper
YMH 7" Lite Rail
HK Style Diopter Front Sight
LMT Rear Sight

SinnFéinM1911, eye-pro are for pussies. That's what medical insurance is for. :D

JUST KIDDING!

militarymoron
01-30-08, 00:46

exactly what i had to do to mine to get it to feed. the bullet nose would end up caught on the sharp top edge of the chamber opening.

SinnFéinM1911
01-30-08, 08:08
Spike's 10" Tactical Upper
YMH 7" Lite Rail
HK Style Diopter Front Sight
LMT Rear Sight

SinnFéinM1911, eye-pro are for pussies. That's what medical insurance is for. :D

JUST KIDDING!

Touche

Nathan_Bell
01-30-08, 09:50
My Spikes runs fine, but I only have about 700 rounds through it, so I guess I should add "so far" to that. Was told to only shoot copper clad ammo though it and to keep it lubed.

ech01
02-16-08, 09:15
Sorry guys, its been a while. VERY busy lately. Spikes Dedicated 22's are literally being sold out while in production. They are very popular for practice and CHEAP for practice. I'm somewhat tired of other dealers trying to badmouth our product without us having a say, so I'm going to write this one for you guys.

Through experience, 22LR rounds are finicky and that could be the problem with some of the "misfeed" problems. I assure you that modifying the feed ramp is a waste of your time and a waste of your money.

We use Federal 22LR ammo from Walmart in the brick boxes. Never a misfeed problem. I have 2 22LR conversions and have over 1000 rounds through each rifle.

I didnt need to "modify" it. I got it from Spike, lubed it up, and started shooting.

I live in Orlando, Florida. I am at the range atleast once a week with my girlfriend usually at EAST ORANGE SHOOTING RANGE. If you come out during the weekend, and see me, i will be MORE than happy to let you shoot my 22's. Thats usually what i do anyways. Bring one out for myself, and let other people shoot my second AR.

In fact, PM me and I'll set up a date with you to meet you up and shoot them. I live up in North Florida right now but I come home to Orlando every weekend to see the Girlfriend and my guns. And Mom of course ;)

If you happen to catch some of my team mates at Shoot Straight in Apopka, just ask them if you can shoot their 22 AR's. They'll be more than happy to.

If you happen to catch Spike himself in Apopka, the man will even load your bullets and let you shoot his full auto 22LR!

I am not trying to insult anyone on these pages. Its only fair that we take a side. Yes, i work very closely with Spike himself and I am part of his company. BUT, I personally own 2 of these rifles and believe me, i wouldnt have done all the work in putting together videos, and advertising for him if i did not believe in his product.

My kids:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/mrhondamunkee/n5128304_37189468_3641.jpg?t=1203174894

Spike's Personal FA 22LR:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/mrhondamunkee/DSC_0409.jpg?t=1203174953

I'm sure alot of you guys have already seen this but it never gets old:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FPJxrHiYSpI <----------CLICK HERE!

rob_s
02-16-08, 09:43
Grant and MM aren't the only ones reporting this problem. While it's good to have a rep from Spike's here, the reports I keep seeing of this problem give me pause.

here (http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=15) is just one of the others that are having chamber issues.

here (http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/1831088263) is another.

I would prefer to see an official "you have to shoot ammo x, y, or z" or an "all uppers require a break-in period" response rather than a "nothing is wrong, everything is fine, the people reporting problems are nuts" response like above.

militarymoron
02-16-08, 10:42
Through experience, 22LR rounds are finicky and that could be the problem with some of the "misfeed" problems. I assure you that modifying the feed ramp is a waste of your time and a waste of your money.

that's through your experience. just because your uppers work for you has absolutely NO bearing on other people's experience, and it's insulting to discount them. extending an invitation to shoot your or spike's uppers doesn't make my upper work. if i had known that you'd be denying people's personal experiences, i'd have made a video documenting the inability of my spike's .22 upper to feed properly.

through MY personal experience, which is what counts to ME, my new spike's .22 upper would NOT feed any ammo reliably, including the federal walmart box. i couldn't even get the first round chambered half the time. pulled back on the charging handle, let it go, and the round would end up stuck, with the bullet nose caught on the top of the chamber. extracting the round, it'd be bent, and have the copper coating shaved off where it caught.
i rounded off the edge where it was catching and also smoothed out the feed ramp. since then, it feeds EVERYTHING I PUT IN IT. remington, CCI mini-mags, federal bulk packs etc.
if i didn't do the modification, i'd have sent it back to spike for a full refund, wasting BOTH our time and money.

quit denying people have experienced problems with their uppers and just focus on finding out WHY, then fixing it. with this kind of post, you're not doing spike any good. it infuriates customers like me who have experienced problems.
it's like having a shoulder pain and telling someone about it, and having them reply "your shoulder hurts? how can that be? MY shoulder feels fine! look! i can rotate my arms all the way around! woohoo!"

ech01
02-16-08, 10:46
" We use Federal 22LR ammo from Walmart in the brick boxes. Never a misfeed problem. I have 2 22LR conversions and have over 1000 rounds through each rifle. "

as with all guns, there is a break in period too =)

Please dont get me wrong. I didnt say anyone is nuts, what i said was that modifying the kit anymore than we have done is wasting time and money.

There are two types that you can shoot, the lead and the copper.

We always recommend the Copper for OBVIOUS reasons which is what we keep hearing that our customers are having problems with. And NO, we are not just ignoring the problem. We're working on getting the bolt to accept all types of ammo.

So. if you're new to it and just got one. WE say: USE type X = Federal 22LR ammo (or any copper round)!

Military Moron, it was not my intentions to insult you in anyway. My apologies, If you still are having problems, do what should always be done, please give us a call and we will try our best to help you resolve the problem. This post doesnt need to be turned into something negative.
What I said was "Through experience" I did not say "Through MY experience" with 22LRs. If you shoot 22LR regularly, you would have probably experianced that there are very definite differences in 22 ammo. I am not/did not "discount" or "deny" anyones input or experience. Please do not put words in my mouth.

I tried to write the post as positive and neutral as possible, however, as i said, it wasnt fair for other dealers to bash our product without someone from our side having a say. Thats all it was. And no, you guys are not venting to thing air, we actually read these forums and fix the problems that may arise. Our apologies for not being as responsive on the forums.

Happy shooting!

C4IGrant
02-16-08, 10:56
" We use Federal 22LR ammo from Walmart in the brick boxes. Never a misfeed problem. I have 2 22LR conversions and have over 1000 rounds through each rifle. "

as with all guns, there is a break in period too =)

Please dont get me wrong. I didnt say anyone is nuts, what i said was that modifying the kit anymore than we have done is wasting time and money.

There are two types that you can shoot, the lead and the copper.

We always recommend the Copper for OBVIOUS reasons which is what we keep hearing that our customers are having problems with. And NO, we are not just ignoring the problem. We're working on getting the bolt to accept all types of ammo.

So. Choose type X = Federal 22LR ammo!

have a good day!

Military Moron, it was not my intentions to insult you in anyway. My apologies, If you still are having problems, do what should always be done, please give us a call first and we will try our best to help you resolve the problem.

I have built several of the Spikes Tactial uppers (buy the barrels and modified bolts). NOT A SINGLE ONE has ever worked right out of the box.

Blending/polishing the feed ramps, polishing the chamber and then polishing certain parts on the bolt has been the ONLY way we have gotten them to work with a wide range of ammo (including copper coated type bullets).

C4

rob_s
02-16-08, 11:01
ech01, a followup question...

Are you anything more than a salesman and computer guy for Spike? The reason I ask is that you have discounted a corrective measure that two of our more respected members of this forum have found to work for them, and I'm curious to know if you discount it because you have some technical (engineering) or practical (gunsmithing) background that qualifies you to make that statement, or if you're just saying "it's a waste of time" because you have two uppers that work without it?

Personally, unless/until Spike's addresses this issue, one that has cropped up all over the various forums from more than a few respected members, I would only buy an upper from Grant, as he has identified and found a solution for the problem, while the OEM so far (through you as a proxy) has done nothing but deny it.

I agree with MM; I'm not sure that you're doing a very good job of representing Spike's, and in fact may be doing quite the opposite.

As to "call Spike's", I've tried calling and emailing in the past and I always get someone like you that is very enthusiastic but of absolutely NO help technically. I wound up using Anvil for my 9m SBR build simply because I couldn't find anyone at Spike's that knew their ass from their elbow, and Spike was either out, busy, or what-have-you. Jon at Anvil PERSONALLY answered my emails, negating entirely the need to call, and was extremely helpful with the process. This mirrors my experience at the gunshows where I've seen and spoken to Spike; every 5 minutes some lacky has to come up and ask some rudimentary question about this or that, indicating to me that Spike is the only one that knows anything about anything.

other, obviously, than making videos to post on Youtube.

rob_s
02-16-08, 11:01
BTW Grant, have any of your modded uppers in stock again? I think I'm back in the market. :D

ech01
02-16-08, 11:11
Rob,

Hey! You're perfectly right, i am a salesperson and the person who makes all of the videos. However, when i write in these forums, i usally give MY opinion and MY experience. It would be very hypocritical for you to discount my opinions and my experience just because i am "only a salesperson." Technically for you, you'd be discounting not only my experience, but everyone else who isnt involved with this everyday and shoot just for fun. See, i didnt say that noones opinion matters, i just gave my opinion. You have no need to be twisting my words up.

For some reason in which i cannot figure out, you always seem to try to pick a fight with me in all the forums and threads. There is no reason to do that, I thought we could all be mature here. Next time you see us at a gun show, please introduce yourself, it'd be cool to try to resolve your differences with us.

PM me your email and you number. I'll personally send it to Spike and ask him to give you a call.

again, i did not "discount" any measures to get the rifle to work if you're having problems with it. I was giving my opinion and what we tell the people who purchase our rifles to do. use Copper ammo. We favor Federal

C4iGrant, i respect your professionalism and I hope we can keep it that way.

Thanks guys, have a nice day!

militarymoron
02-16-08, 12:10
"modifying the kit anymore than we have done is wasting time and money. "

to me, that statement is discounting "any measures to get the rifle to work if you're having problems with it."

"use Copper ammo. We favor Federal". i did. it wouldn't feed.

not picking an argument here either. anyone who's familiar with my posts will be hard pressed to find one where i sound pissed off or argumentative.

if you're representing spike's, you have heard our problems and have given us your response. if i called you or spike, and described the problem as i have done here, what different response over the phone could i expect besides "use Copper ammo. We favor Federal"? do you have different solutions over the phone than in forums?

please ask spike to respond to this thread, or give you the same response he'd give us if we talked to him in person on the phone, if we came to him with these feeding issues. there's no need for individuals to call to get the same answer - have it posted here for everyone to see. it'll save him time (and us as well).

C4IGrant
02-16-08, 12:23
BTW Grant, have any of your modded uppers in stock again? I think I'm back in the market. :D

I have a 16" in stock and ready to go right now.

There is another option for folks interested in a dedicated .22 AR upper. Tactical Solutions showed off their new dedicated .22 AR uppers at shot.

Their bolts (not reworked cieners) and their barrel(s) look to be best I have seen to date. They have three basic models:

1. M4 profiled barrel with flattop A3 upper and a Hogue (rubber) carbine FF rail.
2. Standard 10/22 16" type barrel, A3 upper with the Hogue FF rail
3. Sawtooth Integ. supressed barrel with A3 upper and Hogue rail.

C4

ech01
02-16-08, 12:29
military moron,

my apologies again if it sounded that way. What i meant was that it isnt necessary if you're using preferred ammo. You're right, the lead tipped ammo doesnt feed very well. I should have said that from the beginning. Thats why we use the copper. However, I know that he is making his adjustments to feed all types of ammo efficiently.

again, this time, IN MY OPINION and MY EXPERIENCE. The rifles shoot perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with them. I use FEDERAL BRICK BOX ammo and have HAD ZERO MALFUNCTIONS. Is that more fair?

AND AGAIN, I AM NOT "DISCOUNTING" nor am I "IGNORING" anyone's problems.

I'll ask Spike reply, and if not, i will reply with Spikes response as soon as he's back in town. He's in Ft Meyers on Business and then going out of the state for a few days. The man works hard and he needs a break.

The reason why i asked Rob_S to contact me with his info is because he has a reputation with us already. I've been trying to get his info so i can personally ask Spike to call him and resolve his differences with him. He has yet to do it. Instead he likes to personally attack me whenever i post something.

He's right that I am a saleperson and the person who makes the videos for Spike, but I sure as hell am a shooting enthusiast just like everyone else here on this thread. I dont question his background nor his reasons for his POSITIVE" posts nor do i question anyone else's. It would be nice to be respected the same way. but then again, this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their own.

Oh and by the way. I dont get paid to do the work for Spike, so dont misinterpret that I am doing all of this because he's paying me. All the efforts i put forth are on my personal spare time and because he is truly a good friend.

I'm not here to cause problems, im just here to represent a company that I believe in. Just like everyone else.

Now then. I dont know about you guys, but I'm gonna actually go SHOOT my Ar's instead of talking about them on this forum! Happy Shooting!

militarymoron
02-16-08, 14:56
military moron,

my apologies again if it sounded that way. What i meant was that it isnt necessary if you're using preferred ammo. You're right, the lead tipped ammo doesnt feed very well. I should have said that from the beginning. Thats why we use the copper. However, I know that he is making his adjustments to feed all types of ammo efficiently.

again, this time, IN MY OPINION and MY EXPERIENCE. The rifles shoot perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with them. I use FEDERAL BRICK BOX ammo and have HAD ZERO MALFUNCTIONS. Is that more fair?

no worries, echo. however, do read what i posted before more carefully though - some of it is not getting through:
" What i meant was that it isnt necessary if you're using preferred ammo. "
i used the preferred ammo. it failed to feed. modification was necessary.

"You're right, the lead tipped ammo doesnt feed very well."
not sure where you got that from. i don't own any lead tipped ammo, nor have i tried in in my spike's upper. ALL of it is copper coated, and none of it would feed properly before modification.

to me, as a consumer, i'd think that spike would take great interest in the mods we are doing to enable us to use different types of ammo instead of the recommended federal brick box ammo only. wouldn't it be better to say 'use any kind of copper coated ammo you want' instead of saying 'you'll have problems if you don't use what we recommend?

i don't have a gripe with spike's at all - the service was friendly and prompt. i was pissed that my upper wouldn't work, but being the engineer i am, i diagnosed the problem and felt it was less trouble for me to fix than to deal with sending it back. however, based on what you've written here, we'd have been an an impasse, since i WAS using the recommended ammo, and still had problems. sending it back would imply that something would have to be modified on the upper to make it work with the recommended ammo, and you're not really acknowledging that some people could have that issue.

rob_s
02-16-08, 17:06
Rob,

Hey! You're perfectly right, i am a salesperson and the person who makes all of the videos. However, when i write in these forums, i usally give MY opinion and MY experience. It would be very hypocritical for you to discount my opinions and my experience just because i am "only a salesperson." Technically for you, you'd be discounting not only my experience, but everyone else who isnt involved with this everyday and shoot just for fun. See, i didnt say that noones opinion matters, i just gave my opinion. You have no need to be twisting my words up.
I'm not "twising your words up", I'm simply repeating back to you your own words.

For some reason in which i cannot figure out, you always seem to try to pick a fight with me in all the forums and threads. There is no reason to do that, I thought we could all be mature here. Next time you see us at a gun show, please introduce yourself, it'd be cool to try to resolve your differences with us.
There is no difference with "us", but there does appear to be a difference with "you". I've spoken with Spike on more than one occasion at the show. At least as much as one can in between interruptions by employees that can't seem to sell so much as a magazine without asking him for help. I like Spike, I suggest Spike as a source for parts to people all the time, and have no issue with Spike's Tactical, other than the fact that you seem to be the only online voice of the company, and you don't seem to know much.

again, i did not "discount" any measures to get the rifle to work if you're having problems with it.
That may not have been your intention, but it is in fact exactly what you did.

rob_s
02-16-08, 17:10
There is another option for folks interested in a dedicated .22 AR upper. Tactical Solutions showed off their new dedicated .22 AR uppers at shot.

Their bolts (not reworked cieners) and their barrel(s) look to be best I have seen to date. They have three basic models:

1. M4 profiled barrel with flattop A3 upper and a Hogue (rubber) carbine FF rail.

C4

I've heard of these but haven't been able to find much on them online. Any pics/links?

I already have a rail (12") and a front sight that I want to use. Is it possible to get custom builds with the Tac Sol parts (upper, BCG, barrel)?

C4IGrant
02-17-08, 13:38
I've heard of these but haven't been able to find much on them online. Any pics/links?

I already have a rail (12") and a front sight that I want to use. Is it possible to get custom builds with the Tac Sol parts (upper, BCG, barrel)?

I did not get any pics, but did order a bunch of them. Their M4 model basically looks EXACTLY like a standard M4.

At this time, TACSOL has advised that they will not sell just barrels and bolts. This may change in the future.

C4

Obiwan
02-17-08, 20:45
Price Point??????

wahoo95
02-17-08, 21:31
I did not get any pics, but did order a bunch of them. Their M4 model basically looks EXACTLY like a standard M4.

C4

When do you expect to have your first shipment of the TacSol uppers......price point?

Robert 02
02-17-08, 21:47
I have a 16" in stock and ready to go right now.

C4

Grant,

I am interested in pricing for a 22LR Upper, can you post or PM me?

Regards,
Robert

C4IGrant
02-18-08, 08:12
Price Point??????

In the $500-$600 range.

C4

Blindpig
02-20-08, 16:46
I have been considering a Spike's Tactical .22 upper for my SBR but you guys have given me pause here with this discussion. I really don't like to buy something and have to start to make mods to it right out of the box to get it to work. All firearms generally require some break-in period (500 rounds or so) to get them to function flawlessly but this sounds like a more significant problem. I may just wait and see how the Tactical Solutions upper works before I make a decision.

decodeddiesel
02-25-08, 09:11
...I have been considering a Spike's Tactical .22 upper for my SBR but you guys have given me pause here with this discussion...

...I may just wait and see how the Tactical Solutions upper works before I make a decision...

+1

I will see what Spike cooks up as well, I have heard he is working on an in-house replacement for the Ciener kit they're using. I tend to think TacSol has a nasty habit of over charging, however if thats what it takes for a reliable, and accurate .22lr conversion kit I will take it.

C4IGrant
02-25-08, 09:15
+1

I will see what Spike cooks up as well, I have heard he is working on an in-house replacement for the Ciener kit they're using. I tend to think TacSol has a nasty habit of over charging, however if thats what it takes for a reliable, and accurate .22lr conversion kit I will take it.

That is a negative on TACSOL over charging. They are right inline with the market.

C4

wahoo95
02-25-08, 09:46
Spike says he's shipping the new bolts with his current builds.....says they're pretty slick!

decodeddiesel
02-25-08, 14:00
That is a negative on TACSOL over charging. They are right inline with the market.

C4

True, I suppose if it is in the $500-$600 range it will be OK. I just remember some of the rimfire stuff they were selling being a little on the spendy side compared to the competition. Still, I can't argue they produce a fine product, and I am anxious to see these uppers in circulation to see what the general consensus is.

C4IGrant
02-25-08, 14:23
True, I suppose if it is in the $500-$600 range it will be OK. I just remember some of the rimfire stuff they were selling being a little on the spendy side compared to the competition. Still, I can't argue they produce a fine product, and I am anxious to see these uppers in circulation to see what the general consensus is.

The uppers are going to retail at $575.

I have always looked at TACSOL as medium priced. Then again, I have for years only bought volquartsen products.

C4

Yojimbo
02-29-08, 09:16
Grant,

Have you tried Black Dog mag with the .22 uppers you built? If so, were there any issues?

I'm also in the market for a 22 conversion kit or dedicated .22 upper and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons bewteen them.

I like the fact that you've worked out the bugs in the uppers you are building.

If I get one I would be interested in a M4 version with a fixed front sight, standard M4 handguards and a 14.5 barrel with a pinned FS.

Is it possible to get one this configuration? If so please let me know how much.

markm
02-29-08, 09:33
I got to shoot one of the Spikes conversions a few weeks ago. It's cool, but too high maintenance for my tastes.

The owner has formal gunsmith training, so he has the patience to tinker with the set up and has finally got it running fairly well.

He modified and eventually got the old Black dog mags to run pretty good. But the newer ones didn't run very well at all. He's in the process of working on those to get it running.

It's funner to shoot than the 10/22, but not worth the grief to me.

C4IGrant
02-29-08, 11:18
Grant,

Have you tried Black Dog mag with the .22 uppers you built? If so, were there any issues?

I'm also in the market for a 22 conversion kit or dedicated .22 upper and I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons bewteen them.

I like the fact that you've worked out the bugs in the uppers you are building.

If I get one I would be interested in a M4 version with a fixed front sight, standard M4 handguards and a 14.5 barrel with a pinned FS.

Is it possible to get one this configuration? If so please let me know how much.

Yes. This is the only mag that I use. No issues with the mags that I can find.

You can get one in an M4 config, but will have to wait for the release of the TACSOL dedicated .22 uppers.

C4

Yojimbo
02-29-08, 12:13
Thanks Grant, I look forward to seeing the TacSol .22 uppers. I hope they work as good as they look.

Please keep me posted and let me know when you will be getting the TacSol uppers in the the M4 config I want.

rob_s
02-29-08, 12:18
How about discounts for the tacsol early adopters?
:D

C4IGrant
02-29-08, 12:28
How about discounts for the tacsol early adopters?
:D

LOL, we might be able to cut some costs on them.

C4

Yojimbo
02-29-08, 13:02
LOL, we might be able to cut some costs on them.

C4

Sounds good to me!;)

BTW, with these .22 uppers does the charging handle work like it normally does on a standard .223/5.56upper? What about the bolt catch, does it work like normal with the Black Dog mags?

Yojimbo
03-03-08, 10:16
BTW, I started a thread in LaRues Industry forum on TOS and Mark seems to hinting that something might be in the works!

I don't have a clue for sure but I also posted a few things I would like to see.

Quoted from the thread.

1. I would like a 14.5 barreled(pinned A2 FS) M4 styled flat top upper. Personally, I don't really care if it has the M4 barrel cut out or not. If it will save costs leave it off.

2. The barrel does not need to be chrome lined or stainless but please use a twist that will work well for .22 LR.

3. Standard M4 handguards are fine. If I want to add a railed handguard I'll do it later but I would rather not have that extra cost in the initial purchase. After all I'm getting a .22 upper to save money.

4. I would also prefer a standard fixed FSB.

5. The number 1 thing I want is relaibility, especially with Black Dog mags and decent accuracy(2-3") at 50 yards.

6. Redesign the charging handle so it can be pulled back as far as a regular .223/5.56 upper. That way training with it won't build a bad habit of not pulling the charging handle back far enough.

7. Keep pricing right around $500-550.

I just want a good basic, reliable .22 upper that doesn't cost too much that I can customize like a standard upper at a later time if I want to.

C4IGrant
03-03-08, 10:22
Basically, what you have asked for is what TACSOL has already created.

C4

rob_s
03-03-08, 10:43
Yojimbo, that sounds about right.

One thing I'd like to see is a non-pinned FSB for a .22 upper so that if you decide to remove it later you don't have to leave pin-holes behind. For a .22 "toy" I don't see why a clamp-on or dimpled set-screw attachment wouldn't work. I've even seen stock FSBs converted to set-screw which would probably be about perfect.

One thing to note is that most of the .22 barrels extend further back into the upper than a 5.56 does, and a 16" .22 rifle winds up being the same OAL as a 14.5" 5.56 rifle.

I don't know of any .22 ARs that utilize the bolt stop. Looking at the way they have to be designed I'm not sure how they would be able to. It may be a feature that I haven't looked into closely enough though.

Yojimbo
03-03-08, 10:44
Grant,

That's good news to me!

I know I can trust you make sure it works 100% so put me on the short list and let me know when you get these in. ;)

Rob,

I agree with you on the non pinned FSB, that sounds like a better setup for a .22 upper.

Yes, it would be nice if the bolt catch could be made to operate normally. I'm thinking it's just due to the nature of the .22lr BCG and mags so it will probably be the compromise for saving on ammo...

Boss Hogg
03-06-08, 14:44
I'm not a shill for Spikes and their response to this thread hasn't been exactly groundbreaking customer service.

After a couple of FTE with a friend's Advantage Arms Glock conversion kits, this thread caught my attention.

I do know a Spikes upper owner who has put 7,000 rounds through it without a malfunction, straight out of the box. He usually shoots 300-400 rounds at a time.

Yojimbo
03-11-08, 10:33
Grant,

Did you get my PM?;)