PDA

View Full Version : So a guy walks into an Internet forum...

mtdawg169
07-18-12, 14:43
I've got a set of Trijicon night sights listed for sale here and on a couple of other sites. An interesting, if not concerning thing happened today. On another site, a new member contacted me about purchasing the sights. We traded emails and then he asked me if I would ship them out of the country. His profile didn't indicate country of residence. Additionally, he had just joined the site today.

My initial response was that he would have to cover the shipping cost and I would have to verify the legality of shipping out of the USA. A quick Google search gave me the impression that gun parts as well as nuclear materials (tritium) are controlled under ITAR, so I declined the sale.

So what do you guys think? Setup? or just someone hoping to get lucky and sucker an unwitting seller into violating federal law?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

chadbag
07-18-12, 14:44
I've got a set of Trijicon night sights listed for sale here and on a couple of other sites. An interesting, if not concerning thing happened today. On another site, a new member contacted me about purchasing the sights. We traded emails and then he asked me if I would ship them out of the country. His profile didn't indicate country of residence. Additionally, he had just joined the site today.

My initial response was that he would have to cover the shipping cost and I would have to verify the legality of shipping out of the USA. A quick Google search gave me the impression that gun parts as well as nuclear materials (tritium) are controlled under ITAR, so I declined the sale.

So what do you guys think? Setup? or just someone hoping to get lucky and sucker an unwitting seller into violating federal law?

You did good.

It sounds suspicious. Don't know what it really was.

-

Moose-Knuckle
07-18-12, 16:10
If it doesn't "feel" right then it probably is not. No harm, no foul and you probably saved yourself from some scam.

SteyrAUG
07-18-12, 17:18
My guess would be a guy trying to order an item he can't obtain in his country from a private seller who might not be aware of restrictions.

Kind of like how a lot of folks in the US tried to order high cap mags from small internet sellers in Canada and other countries during the Clinton ban.

I would seriously HOPE that nobody in our government is actually getting paid to troll the internet hoping to nab some private seller on an internet forum.

Especially with all the real problems out there, many created by ATF.

But bottom line, if it isn't legit or it doesn't feel safe to you, you did the best thing. You can just as easily get close to current market value on Gunbroker starting as a $1 auction. And anything above what you might get on Gunbroker isn't worth the hassle if it turns out to be some kind of set up. When all is said and done you would be willing to give the scope away for FREE in order to turn back the clock and have it to do over.

duece71
07-18-12, 17:32
Trust your gut feeling.....always. Unless of course you are constantly feeling nauseous. You know what I mean. Do what feels right.

The_War_Wagon
07-18-12, 17:35
Forward to the mods ASAP. I've gotten some of those too. Mohammedan dirtbags, intent on getting their hands on forbidden equipment, in order to foster terror hither & yon.

Fudge 'em. :mad:

Honu
07-18-12, 19:16
not only to get US stuff restricted in their country for who knows what ? most likely used by bad guys and screw you out of the money at the same time in their eyes a win win

mtdawg169
07-18-12, 19:36
Anyone ever heard of guccikit.com?

obucina
07-18-12, 20:02
i had the same issue selling an EoTech 512, some dude wanted to have it shipped to Portugal....no way, jose!

HeavyDuty
07-18-12, 21:13
I've gotten a lot of PMs from zero posting members about things I'm selling, too.

Today there was one from a long term member asking about shipping an item to a US address for export. It's a rail accessory - would that be covered under ITAR?

warpigM-4
07-18-12, 22:13
I've gotten a lot of PMs from zero posting members about things I'm selling, too.

Today there was one from a long term member asking about shipping an item to a US address for export. It's a rail accessory - would that be covered under ITAR?

I was getting a bunch of 0 Post members asking for items I had for sell in the EE I edited My Sales to state "if you have 0 post do not Contact me I will not sell to you " even with My Price saying firm they still low Balled me :rolleyes:

Belmont31R
07-18-12, 22:18
Put as many discplaimers in the add as possible. Ill have to add "will not ship outside the USA" to mine.

mtdawg169
07-18-12, 22:36
Put as many discplaimers in the add as possible. Ill have to add "will not ship outside the USA" to mine.

I actually do that already. Didn't stop this guy from asking. I always did it to prevent getting screwed on shipping costs. In this case, I was unsure about the issues with something as simple as a pair of handgun sights. Then I checked several sites and saw ITAR warnings everywhere. I hope our federal government has something better to do. I'm thinking he was trying to take advantage of an unwitting buyer, but who knows. Location was South Africa.

I mentioned it earlier, but I'll ask again, has anyone ever heard of guccikit.com? He seems to be affiliated.

Icculus
07-19-12, 10:11
I mentioned it earlier, but I'll ask again, has anyone ever heard of guccikit.com? He seems to be affiliated.

I think you definitely did right by not selling it. Anyway a little info on the guccikit.com. Definitely hosted somewhere in Africa. I didn't go to the actual website but these show the ip and location.

http://www.webboar.com/www/guccikit.com

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/guccikit.com

rushca01
07-19-12, 10:13
I sold a 1911 to a guy with 0 posts.

He sent me the money and a copy of his FFL's info. I gave it to my FFL who verified it was good to go and he shipped it off. It has to make sense and in this case it did.

mtdawg169
07-19-12, 10:53
I think you definitely did right by not selling it. Anyway a little info on the guccikit.com. Definitely hosted somewhere in Africa. I didn't go to the actual website but these show the ip and location.

http://www.webboar.com/www/guccikit.com

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/guccikit.com

Thanks icculus, a Web search turned up a blank page.

I sold a 1911 to a guy with 0 posts.

He sent me the money and a copy of his FFL's info. I gave it to my FFL who verified it was good to go and he shipped it off. It has to make sense and in this case it did.

I've done the same in the past. I just exercise a little more caution with new / unknown buyers.

krisjon
07-19-12, 13:08
99% of out-of-country inquires for items for sale online (and we're talking anything) are scams. A lot from Nigeria.

It's well-known and there are usually scam forms of payment along with it - fake cashier's checks, money orders and wire transfers, fake checks for amounts over the purchase price and then asking to refund/credit the buyer the difference (a very popular one).

You name it, it's out there.