PDA

View Full Version : Warhorse: The military's 'My Little Pony' fan club

Packman73
07-18-12, 16:28
WTH?

There's a new insignia showing up on the sleeves of a small group of military men, but instead of denoting rank, it advertises their love for a cartoon inspired by the girlish 1980s plastic toy called "My Little Pony."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/18/military-my-little-pony-fan-club/#ixzz210nlECtJ

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/18/military-my-little-pony-fan-club/

Moltke
07-18-12, 16:30
This has got to be a joke, or it's the I'm gay and you can't do anything about it patch.

Packman73
07-18-12, 18:26
This has got to be a joke, or it's the I'm gay and you can't do anything about it patch.

I was thinking the later but hoping for the former...

GTifosi
07-18-12, 18:36
So I'm guessing AR 670-1 and the other branch equivalents are no longer being enforced?

Honu
07-18-12, 18:52
my 8 year old girl loves the ponies but she has a good excuse and I doubt she would wear that patch !!!

I think its the I am gay and nananana you cant touch me syndrome !

chadbag
07-18-12, 21:03
Disclaimer: I have never watched the show(s) in question, and know little of it personally.

However, I did read an article a while back on "bronies", the adult (men) who have become diehard fans of the show. It seems that the show itself is written at a higher level than a kid's show. The subject matter is "kid's show" but the quality of the writing is much higher, and, at least behind the scenes, written for adults.

Some men are attracted to the show's writing and become fans.

So said the article that I read that highlighted this phenomenon.

Wikipedia has this to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brony

Whether this military group is a reflection of this or a hidden out in the open gay group, I don't know.

--

Sensei
07-18-12, 22:50
This is what happens when you mix velcro on the uniform and a policy of open homosexuality within the military - both of which are bad ideas.

Redmanfms
07-18-12, 23:51
This is what happens when you mix velcro on the uniform and a policy of open homosexuality within the military - both of which are bad ideas.

As yet, I haven't seen anyone produce any evidence this has anything to do with homosexuality. Even if it did have something to do with "teh gheys" it's what happens when uniform standards are not enforced, which I'm sorry to tell you lanesmith, is a problem with the straight troops too.

M-Div (with the exception of our chief) had a Hello Kitty! iron-on patch on our poopy suits instead of the boat crest for an entire patrol. None of us were gay, we just thought it was funny. Of course, SSBNs don't have a whole lot of public photography going on at anytime, much less underway. We knew better than to pull shenanigans while in port.

feedramp
07-19-12, 02:11

orionz06
07-19-12, 06:39

Sure, because it's not just a bunch of people watching a cartoon and buying patches. It is obviously some much deeper rooted problem than that... :secret:

Sensei
07-19-12, 07:21
Sure, because it's not just a bunch of people watching a cartoon and buying patches. It is obviously some much deeper rooted problem than that... :secret:

You don't think there is a significance to the rainbow patches or the timing of their appearance relative to Don't Ask / Don't Tell?

orionz06
07-19-12, 07:26
No, it is a stupid trend just like all other stupid trends. Before this it was the honey badger bullshit, now it's "Bronies", who knows what it will be next.

Check out Hot Topic: http://search.hottopic.com/clothing/Brony

If you are not familiar they are a store in most malls that cashes in on trendy shit, Bronies included.

Sensei
07-19-12, 07:30
Perhaps you are right. I guess the upside is greater awareness of the Cavalry as a career field.

Grizzly16
07-19-12, 08:11
No, it is a stupid trend just like all other stupid trends. Before this it was the honey badger bullshit, now it's "Bronies", who knows what it will be next.

Check out Hot Topic: http://search.hottopic.com/clothing/Brony

If you are not familiar they are a store in most malls that cashes in on trendy shit, Bronies included.

They have quite the following of "funny" pictures as well: http://bronies.memebase.com/

Not gay just stupid.

I find it crazy that with the Stolen Valor Act being repealed there are folks who did jack squat to earn a patch/tab/medal scrambling to wear the real thing while guys that earned their patches are scrambling to wear ponies. If only we could switch the two.

orionz06
07-19-12, 08:24
They have quite the following of "funny" pictures as well: http://bronies.memebase.com/

Not gay just stupid.

I find it crazy that with the Stolen Valor Act being repealed there are folks who did jack squat to earn a patch/tab/medal scrambling to wear the real thing while guys that earned their patches are scrambling to wear ponies. If only we could switch the two.

I think people forget the age of these people doing this stuff.

And besides, who here hasn't ****ed around and done silly shit? Why so serious?

GTifosi
07-19-12, 09:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIY41LrvMFQ

montanadave
07-19-12, 11:07

No shit. Ya got the "Hello Kitty" Kalashnikov crowd, guys painting ARs pink with unicorns and such, and now "bronies."

Just silly shit. If somebody gets a chuckle out of it and it lightens the prevailing mood of "gloom and doom" then go for it.

Todd.K
07-19-12, 12:12
Never in uniform, in public.

There are standards related to being in uniform because of the need to be seen as a trust worthy public servant, and as a representative of The United States of America.

The uniform reflects on MUCH more than just you.

Sensei
07-19-12, 12:47

I do not know what part of this situation is more disturbing: 1) the fact that service members are so inspired by a goddamn cartoon that they would defile their uniform with this silly shit, or 2) that so many citizens think that this is something to be applauded or excused. These are adults serving in our military - not children in middle school. I hope that their BN commander is handing out field grade Article 15's to everyone of these pathetic assholes.

orionz06
07-19-12, 12:50
Are "Hey **** Face" and "Shit Magnet" acceptable patches?

Sensei
07-19-12, 12:51
No shit. Ya got the "Hello Kitty" Kalashnikov crowd, guys painting ARs pink with unicorns and such, and now "bronies."

Just silly shit. If somebody gets a chuckle out of it and it lightens the prevailing mood of "gloom and doom" then go for it.

Could you please show me an instance of service members painting their issued weapon pink. I've never heard or seen of this - ever. BTW, this does not only lighten then mood, it erodes order and discipline.

montanadave
07-19-12, 12:52
OK, I missed a step.

I've got no problem with folks doing whatever they can to lighten the mood.

But it doesn't belong on a military uniform.

There's a long tradition of decorating up equipment, etc. but the uniform is a different subject. And altering equipment in such a way as to reduce it's effectiveness is another no-go.

Sensei
07-19-12, 12:53
Are "Hey **** Face" and "Shit Magnet" acceptable patches?

In one word - no.

AZ-Renegade
07-20-12, 14:25
Its been said before, but it bears repeating...

Maybe the world should end 12/21/12.

Redmanfms
07-20-12, 14:31
Its been said before, but it bears repeating...

Maybe the world should end 12/21/12.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, because some dude violated uniform regs......

Drama queen much?

AZ-Renegade
07-20-12, 14:34
I should have specified, my comment was referencing the fact that grown men are infatuated with characters from a show for little girls.

ETA:

My apologies for the drift.

montanadave
07-20-12, 17:16
I should have specified, my comment was referencing the fact that grown men are infatuated with characters from a show for little girls.

ETA:

My apologies for the drift.

I don't know. Seems like an improvement over a bunch of grown men simply infatuated with the little girls.