PDA

View Full Version : Rate my new blowout kit

krisjon
07-18-12, 19:12
I've been doing a bit of research in the hopes of putting together an upgraded and really solid blowout kit. Everything was just delivered today and I got in all in (a very tight fit, but I figure the pouch will stretch out/take a set once it's used more.

For the pros out there, how'd I do? Anything you'd change/swap out? I can always put rejects in my vehicle kit.

BFG Trauma Kit Now Pouch
BFG Tourniquet Now Strap
CAT Tourniquet
6" Olaes Bandage
4" NAR ETD Bandage
Quickclot Z-Fold Gauze
H&H Compact Gauze
Bolin Chest Seal
Halo Chest Seals (2)
Rausch NA w/ Surgilube
NAR Black Talon Nitrile Gloves (2 pair)
Burn Gel (2)
Iodine Prep Pads (4)
Alcohol Prep Pads (4)
Combat/Duct Tape Roll
Penlight
NAR Shears

SeriousStudent
07-18-12, 21:02
Can I ask what is the enviroment for this kit? Are you a an LEO, in the military, or a smart person that prepares for bad things?

How many people is this intended to support?

You mentioned a pouch, is this carried on your person or part of a larger kit?

krisjon
07-18-12, 21:40
Mostly a smart person preparing for bad things. I shoot in the desert east of San Diego a lot and also down near the Mexican border with some CBP friends of mine. Not necessarily bad areas, but everything from risks of other shooters, to ricochets, to gun-toting smugglers/border crossers are always a possibility. Better safe than sorry.

The kit is just for me and worst case boo-boo scenarios. I added the Bolin because while I know how to use everything else I've got, I'm not trained on, nor would I attempt needle decompressions. I figured I would use the Bolin on entry and Halo on exit. There's an extra Halo in my kit because they come in a 2-pack. I could also use the second Halo as an anchor (with a hole punched in it) for the Bolin.

As far as the BFG pouch goes, it's molle attached to my first line belt and deploys easily. I have other med kits and supplies for home and vehicle, but this is my mobile/shooter kit.

Caduceus
07-19-12, 10:52
I think it looks pretty good. I'd drop the penlight and the alcohol and betadine pads, but that's personal preference (and frankly, not that large of items). The chance of using either pad is pretty small, so why keep them, is my reasoning.

One thing I'd caution is to make sure things aren't too snugly packed. Sucks when you try and pull out item 1, and the entire pouch vomits everything into the dirt.

krisjon
07-19-12, 10:58
I think it looks pretty good. I'd drop the penlight and the alcohol and betadine pads, but that's personal preference (and frankly, not that large of items). The chance of using either pad is pretty small, so why keep them, is my reasoning.

One thing I'd caution is to make sure things aren't too snugly packed. Sucks when you try and pull out item 1, and the entire pouch vomits everything into the dirt.

Thanks. Actually the way the BFG Trauma Kit Now pouch deploys, that really isn't a problem. Everything is held down/organized with individual elastic bands and comes out in a open, but foldable V pack - so things aren't just stuffed in there all over the place. It's a pretty nice kit.

If you're not familiar with it, here's a :30 sec demo of how it works. I'm liking it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HdQXUgzYz0&feature=player_embedded

sgtjosh
07-19-12, 20:40
I would add a NPA sized for you.

just a scout
07-19-12, 20:43
Ditch the black gloves and get blue or purple nitriles. Hard to see if you get blood on hem during an exam, ESP at night. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

krisjon
07-19-12, 20:52
I would add a NPA sized for you.

How does someone personally size a NPA? Doesn't sound like too much fun. :D
The one I have is a 28R, which I thought was fairly standard.

krisjon
07-19-12, 20:56
Ditch the black gloves and get blue or purple nitriles. Hard to see if you get blood on hem during an exam, ESP at night. Ask me how I know.

Good point. And those are easy to get.

just a scout
07-19-12, 22:16
Measure the diameter of the npa against your nostril or the nail of your pinky finger. Measure the length from your nostril to your tmj. Long as its not too big or excessively long, should be fine. You're basically sticking a straw in a soda bottle.

Pax
07-19-12, 22:57
Did I miss your shears?

You can never have enough of those guys. Useful for everything. I keep a pair in every IFAK I make and keep some on my PC, some in the vehicle, hell I used to carry a pair IWB till I figured out the wore a hole in my pants. Very useful stuff, shears. I dont really have a preference as to type, apart from the rugged, i-will-cut-through-anything-arrrgghhh-let-me-at-it-i-can-eat-it!!! type.

Fetep
07-19-12, 23:12
Looks great, trust me when I say pack a few more pairs of gloves.

Fetep

rwheet
07-20-12, 08:29
Now go find a First Responder or EMT-B class in your area.

Caduceus
07-20-12, 14:16
Looks great, trust me when I say pack a few more pairs of gloves.

Fetep
Can never have too many gloves. When I worked EMS I carried 3 pairs on every call - in addition to whatever the gurney or jump bag had.

krisjon
07-20-12, 16:01
Measure the diameter of the npa against your nostril or the nail of your pinky finger. Measure the length from your nostril to your tmj. Long as its not too big or excessively long, should be fine. You're basically sticking a straw in a soda bottle.

Thanks! Great info. Much appreciated.

krisjon
07-20-12, 16:02
Now go find a First Responder or EMT-B class in your area.

Agreed. Already looking online at some of the community colleges, etc.

blake g
07-20-12, 22:12
I'd say consolidate both gauze and chest seals - decide on which one you want to go with and settle on that one. I like simplicity, less to worry about, and simpler when things get hectic...

FluxPrism
07-20-12, 22:39
I'd say consolidate both gauze and chest seals - decide on which one you want to go with and settle on that one. I like simplicity, less to worry about, and simpler when things get hectic...

Actually, I also do the 'multiple kinds of gauze' thing with almost all of my kits. I want the QC Combat Gauze for 'oh crap' injuries, but if I'm just putting gauze on a wound which isn't life-threatening, I'd rather use the $1.40 Primed gauze instead of the $40 QC Combat Gauze.

Don't get me wrong, I paid good money to have the Combat Gauze available, and it's so much cheaper than a funeral, but...why waste money if you don't need to.

Of course, if money is no object, then I'd have kits filled to the brim with Combat Gauze!

As to the chest seals, I have little opinion since I don't bother with any of the 'valved' seals, I just plan on burping the unvented ones if necessary.

I also second the notion to get more training. My last medical course was with the late Paul Gomez a few months ago, and it just whetted my appetite to learn more about all of this. RIP Paul.

FluxPrism

blake g
07-21-12, 13:08
Actually, I also do the 'multiple kinds of gauze' thing with almost all of my kits. I want the QC Combat Gauze for 'oh crap' injuries, but if I'm just putting gauze on a wound which isn't life-threatening, I'd rather use the $1.40 Primed gauze instead of the $40 QC Combat Gauze.

Don't get me wrong, I paid good money to have the Combat Gauze available, and it's so much cheaper than a funeral, but...why waste money if you don't need to.

Of course, if money is no object, then I'd have kits filled to the brim with Combat Gauze!

As to the chest seals, I have little opinion since I don't bother with any of the 'valved' seals, I just plan on burping the unvented ones if necessary.

I also second the notion to get more training. My last medical course was with the late Paul Gomez a few months ago, and it just whetted my appetite to learn more about all of this. RIP Paul.

FluxPrism

Well there go my "attention to detail" points - I didn't even clue in to the fact that one was QC (maybe since I don't use it myself). I read "Z-fold" and thought "Z-Pak". I don't do valved seals either, sticking with the occlusive seal and periodically "burping the patient (never heard that before - I'm stealing it)...

Six Feet Under
07-26-12, 12:10
I'd add an NPA, decompression needle, and a few more pairs of gloves. As far as the chest seals, the four sided ones are no less effective than three sided or valved ones from what I was told (in the NAR course I mention below). The difference is basically negligible, as far as I understand.

Personally I keep two or three pairs in my trauma kit behind the seat in my truck, one pair in the little cubby in the dash, and usually I'll have another set in the left cargo pocket of my shorts.

You may not know how to use the decompression needle, but the person caring for you might have the skills and knowledge to use it safely. One thing to thing about though; if a guy is absolutely going to die unless you poke that hole in his chest cavity, how much bad are you really going to do if you don't put it in exactly the right spot? If you can't breathe, you can't live. The side of the chest wall is a mofo to try to put them in because of the length of the needle, but the normal way is fairly simple... or at least it seemed that way when I was shown how to do it.

The NPA; it's not hard. If you tilt the head back a little and pig nose the person, then put the beveled side in toward the septum it should go right in. Never done it on a real person, but it was easy enough on the practice dummies the few dozen times I did it. You can use blood to help insert it if yours didn't come with a little surgical lube packet.

I took North American Rescue's Operator/First Responder course in Carthage, NC, back in May and found it extremely beneficial. I highly recommend it.

HawaiianM4
10-25-12, 01:42
Mostly a smart person preparing for bad things. I shoot in the desert east of San Diego a lot and also down near the Mexican border with some CBP friends of mine. Not necessarily bad areas, but everything from risks of other shooters, to ricochets, to gun-toting smugglers/border crossers are always a possibility. Better safe than sorry.

The kit is just for me and worst case boo-boo scenarios. I added the Bolin because while I know how to use everything else I've got, I'm not trained on, nor would I attempt needle decompressions. I figured I would use the Bolin on entry and Halo on exit. There's an extra Halo in my kit because they come in a 2-pack. I could also use the second Halo as an anchor (with a hole punched in it) for the Bolin.

As far as the BFG pouch goes, it's molle attached to my first line belt and deploys easily. I have other med kits and supplies for home and vehicle, but this is my mobile/shooter kit.

I like the kit and that you have others for home and vehicle. These other kits come in handy.

maddy345
10-26-12, 21:07
Looks ok to me

Vash1023
10-27-12, 14:37
neosporine*.. lol

thats not a blow out kit thats a NAR LRG MEDIC BAG, lol

krisjon
10-27-12, 14:56
neosporine*.. lol

thats not a blow out kit thats a NAR LRG MEDIC BAG, lol

:D

Well, I've always subscribed to the idea that it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It all fits in my regular BFG pouch on my first line belt, so it's good to go.

I tore up my hand pretty good while out shooting recently, so the gauze, tape and other stuff came in handy. Ended up with stitches.

I've also used my vehicle kit this past year to help a woman who had been hit by a car, so just having stuff to help others (or myself) has been a good thing.

AK49
10-30-12, 16:53
How does someone personally size a NPA? Doesn't sound like too much fun. :D
The one I have is a 28R, which I thought was fairly standard.

I second the NPA and would also add an OPA for good measure. Sometimes access through the nostrils isn't an option. I would also swap out the quick clot for Celox gauze. I watched a comparison demo using both products on live pigs and Celox did remarkably better than quick clot (they used the granules and plunger for the demo).

Celox site here (http://www.celoxmedical.com/prods_celox.htm)

Caduceus
10-30-12, 20:38
I'd add an NPA, decompression needle, and a few more pairs of gloves. As far as the chest seals, the four sided ones are no less effective than three sided or valved ones from what I was told (in the NAR course I mention below). The difference is basically negligible, as far as I understand.

Personally I keep two or three pairs in my trauma kit behind the seat in my truck, one pair in the little cubby in the dash, and usually I'll have another set in the left cargo pocket of my shorts.

You may not know how to use the decompression needle, but the person caring for you might have the skills and knowledge to use it safely. One thing to thing about though; if a guy is absolutely going to die unless you poke that hole in his chest cavity, how much bad are you really going to do if you don't put it in exactly the right spot? If you can't breathe, you can't live. The side of the chest wall is a mofo to try to put them in because of the length of the needle, but the normal way is fairly simple... or at least it seemed that way when I was shown how to do it.

The NPA; it's not hard. If you tilt the head back a little and pig nose the person, then put the beveled side in toward the septum it should go right in. Never done it on a real person, but it was easy enough on the practice dummies the few dozen times I did it. You can use blood to help insert it if yours didn't come with a little surgical lube packet.

I took North American Rescue's Operator/First Responder course in Carthage, NC, back in May and found it extremely beneficial. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:
- first, shoving that needle through a great vessel or a heart goes from a "he's dying" situation to "you killed him" situation. That could, theoretically turn into manslaughter charges.

-second, you can still be liable for damages. Good Sam laws are great, but there was a case about a year ago in L.A. where some
lady tried so sue her friend for moving her after a car accident.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405&page=1#.UJCBFlJ62So

ncrebel8
11-01-12, 16:03
2 comments:
- first, shoving that needle through a great vessel or a heart goes from a "he's dying" situation to "you killed him" situation. That could, theoretically turn into manslaughter charges.

-second, you can still be liable for damages. Good Sam laws are great, but there was a case about a year ago in L.A. where some
lady tried so sue her friend for moving her after a car accident.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405&page=1#.UJCBFlJ62So

Im with Caduceus on this one, without TRAINING, not just being shown how to do it, you would be crazy to try a chest decompression on anyone. Hell, I know people who have been trained that I wouldnt want doing it to me!

I am pretty amazed that there are people out there showing and promoting this in "classes". Death of the patient is only one of the complications that come from improper technique of chest decompression.

bruin
11-02-12, 00:06
In lieu of trauma shears, consider a serrated folding rescue knife. It zips through tough fabric and webbing a lot faster than shears, takes up less space, and can be clipped just about anywhere. Spyderco makes a few good models, and their Salt folders are effectively rustproof. Serrated H1 is work hardened at the edge and stays sharp as long as the premium steels (i.e. S30V).

I'd also add a sharpie, remove the Bolin, and move the burn gel and prep pads to a larger trauma kit. IMHO a blowout kit is specifically geared to treat massive bleeding and reduce the chances of tension pneumothorax.

calicojack
11-02-12, 06:21
Im with Caduceus on this one, without TRAINING, not just being shown how to do it, you would be crazy to try a chest decompression on anyone. Hell, I know people who have been trained that I wouldnt want doing it to me!

I am pretty amazed that there are people out there showing and promoting this in "classes". Death of the patient is only one of the complications that come from improper technique of chest decompression.

without training/licensure sticking someone and killing them is a quick way to get your ass thrown in jail. Hell even someone that is licensed, at a lower level, faces criminal charges and loss of licensure for sticking someone. "good samaritan laws" only cover what the basic layperson would do in that situation. it does not cover advanced life support (which decompressing a tension pnuemothorax is considered)

Todd00000
11-02-12, 14:54
:D

Well, I've always subscribed to the idea that it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It all fits in my regular BFG pouch on my first line belt, so it's good to go.

I tore up my hand pretty good while out shooting recently, so the gauze, tape and other stuff came in handy. Ended up with stitches.

I've also used my vehicle kit this past year to help a woman who had been hit by a car, so just having stuff to help others (or myself) has been a good thing.

If you get rid of the pen light get a hands free head light.

HawaiianM4
11-08-12, 02:53
If you get rid of the pen light get a hands free head light.

Agree, I have pen lights but the hands free head light is awesome. Not sure why people didnt come up with this before. Someone was working on my washer with one and after that I bought one.

HawaiianM4
11-08-12, 02:55
without training/licensure sticking someone and killing them is a quick way to get your ass thrown in jail. Hell even someone that is licensed, at a lower level, faces criminal charges and loss of licensure for sticking someone. "good samaritan laws" only cover what the basic layperson would do in that situation. it does not cover advanced life support (which decompressing a tension pnuemothorax is considered)

Unless I am trained and certified I would not be sticking a needle into someones chest. That is not to say you cant carry one.

firemike
11-30-12, 01:00
The subject put me at odds with your original list - but your explanation of your use changes it ...

To me - a "Blow Out Kit" - is a standard immediate treatment kit carried by every member - that is supported by a trained dude with extra stuff.

I like that you are looking for additional training - that is a plus.

I do EMS for a living for more than 15 years - I am OK with NEVER using a penlight - but that's just me.

You have 2 bandages 4" + 6", 2 different gauzes, and 2 different chest seals (each of them cost a bit of cash - sorry for the loss). If you can not prove the value of each item as a stand alone asset without using the company's marketing info - that should encourage more training. (Typically a BOK has 1 of each)
Don't get me wrong - they are all good stuff - but by adding bulk and extra stuff - you are getting out of BOK into immediate aid (read training) the more you expand the more options = blah blah blah

I keep it simple - there are some nice combat aid items on the market - for a BOK - a premium 6" bandage, premium gauze pack, dual chest seal + NPA is a good answer. But I am good supporting it with basic trauma dressings, Koflex, Triangle bandages & Ace Bandages.

RE: NPA & Chest needle - the ONLY people I have ever met that will carry those items in their BOK are people who have 100% Trust and Faith in the people on the team who will be sticking them INSIDE them.

Just because you can buy it on the internet doesn't mean it is a good idea to carry it or use it.

I like the shears - for a BOK the weight is not a priority - but it is a very useful tool all around - I can get away with a knife most of the time - but sometime the shears just make life easier.

For me the wipes are useless - they are aimed at the chest needle skill - which is out of my realm. That being said - they are just about weightless and damn near free - I can light the alcohol prep on fire so it has some value in the big picture.

You didn't mention it - but a PRIORITY skill to support your BOK is the ability to get diffinative help wherever you are - PERIOD ! You need to maintain a rock solid communication capability to get a capable ALS crew in contact with any victim as soon as possible and transported to the appropriate care level as soon as possible.

krisjon
12-04-12, 22:23
The subject put me at odds with your original list - but your explanation of your use changes it ...

To me - a "Blow Out Kit" - is a standard immediate treatment kit carried by every member - that is supported by a trained dude with extra stuff.

I do EMS for a living for more than 15 years - I am OK with NEVER using a penlight - but that's just me.

You have 2 bandages 4" + 6", 2 different gauzes, and 2 different chest seals (each of them cost a bit of cash - sorry for the loss). If you can not prove the value of each item as a stand alone asset without using the company's marketing info - that should encourage more training. (Typically a BOK has 1 of each)
Don't get me wrong - they are all good stuff - but by adding bulk and extra stuff - you are getting out of BOK into immediate aid (read training) the more you expand the more options = blah blah blah

I keep it simple - there are some nice combat aid items on the market - for a BOK - a premium 6" bandage, premium gauze pack, dual chest seal + NPA is a good answer. But I am good supporting it with basic trauma dressings, Koflex, Triangle bandages & Ace Bandages.

RE: NPA & Chest needle - the ONLY people I have ever met that will carry those items in their BOK are people who have 100% Trust and Faith in the people on the team who will be sticking them INSIDE them.

Just because you can buy it on the internet doesn't mean it is a good idea to carry it or use it.

I like the shears - for a BOK the weight is not a priority - but it is a very useful tool all around - I can get away with a knife most of the time - but sometime the shears just make life easier.

For me the wipes are useless - they are aimed at the chest needle skill - which is out of my realm. That being said - they are just about weightless and damn near free - I can light the alcohol prep on fire so it has some value in the big picture.

You didn't mention it - but a PRIORITY skill to support your BOK is the ability to get diffinative help wherever you are - PERIOD ! You need to maintain a rock solid communication capability to get a capable ALS crew in contact with any victim as soon as possible and transported to the appropriate care level as soon as possible.

Great feedback, Mike. Much appreciated.

In the time since I originally posted this, I have started to get some first responder training (with some of it actually sponsored through my work). We have to have medically trained volunteers available on-site, so that's worked out well for me.

I hear you on paring down my kit, but in regards to why I have two types of chest seals, here's my reasoning. As I stated before (and I see you agree with), I'm not messing with chest needles. This is the reason I have the Bolin. They only come one to a pack, so I picked up a pack of Halos for exit wound closure. Granted, I only need one, but they come two to a sealed pack and I'm not going to break that open just to have one on me. Make sense?

Could I just use the Halos on entry/exit and burp one? Sure, but the Bolin keeps me from having to do that. I don't know. It all fits neatly in my kit and is easy to access, so I don't see a huge reason to get rid of it.

I've also ditched the pen light and have a Surefire headlamp now that works well for both medical and non-medical use.

As far as comms go, you're absolutely right. If I'm down near the border, I'm almost always with CPB friends who always have a radio with them off-duty. One of our shooting spots has a tendency to trip the sensors, so aside from safety, it's also a call of the dogs thing with a quick "hey guys, that's us."

Overall, I feel pretty good about what I've got. But there's always room for improvement and learning from pros like you.

Cheers!

tacti-cool
02-11-13, 22:37
training, then tools.

I use simple things in my kit, keep it simple, keep it safe, and keep your knowledge growing....

USAFPararescueDoc66
02-13-13, 10:38

Great blow out kit, my only advice from real world expirience and in the hospital is wear Blue Nitrile gloves. When doing rake/sweep for wounds especially under stress or low light you want a color that will readily show the presence of blood. Just my opinion.

krisjon
02-15-13, 23:27
Great blow out kit, my only advice from real world expirience and in the hospital is wear Blue Nitrile gloves. When doing rake/sweep for wounds especially under stress or low light you want a color that will readily show the presence of blood. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. Always great to hear from a PJ. I have the blue nitrile gloves more than covered now. My new girlfriend is a surgical/medical supply rep. :dance3: Lots of access to good quality kit.

USAFPararescueDoc66
02-15-13, 23:39
Thanks for the feedback. Always great to hear from a PJ. I have the blue nitrile gloves more than covered now. My new girlfriend is a surgical/medical supply rep. :dance3: Lots of access to good quality kit.

KrisJon: One last thing I forgot is you may want to keep a decomp needle in your kit. Reason being if you or someone else is on verge of losing your life from a tensionpnuemo, there maybe someone who does know how to employ this modality and save you or someone else around you because you have a decomp needle in your IFAK. Stay safe

HawaiianM4
02-16-13, 01:24
I agree with the reply to carry things that you may not know how to us but would be useful for a trained person to use. While I would not attempt a needle decompression it could be a lifesaver for someone in the hands of a professional. Gloves are a great addition to a kit.

I have a vehicle blowout kit and and another blowout kit for that is in my range bag.

krisjon
02-21-13, 00:49
KrisJon: One last thing I forgot is you may want to keep a decomp needle in your kit. Reason being if you or someone else is on verge of losing your life from a tensionpnuemo, there maybe someone who does know how to employ this modality and save you or someone else around you because you have a decomp needle in your IFAK. Stay safe

Thanks again for the great advice and also thanks for all you do - and have done.

Thoughts on this setup:

http://www.narescue.com/ARS_for_Needle_Decompression_(14_gauge_x_3.25_in.)-CN1ACDE14CD3FD.html?BC=34151F4E0C15

Or any others you would recommend?

domestique
02-23-13, 04:48

Good post,

But IMHO using an NPA is a lot easier and less risk of f'ing up than a chest needle. I'm a resp. therapist (I work at a 700+ bed hospital and do high risk helicopter transports) and place NPAs and oral airways on a weekly basis in kids 9 pounds to 300+ pounds adults.
To the OP,

I totally agree with getting proper training on how to use each item in your BOK or you may actually do more harm than good. The problem with chest seals, NPAs, oral airways, and chest needles is that they can cause a distraction for a lot of people that have never been in a stressful trauma situation before. While inserting an NPA or oral airway is pretty easy to do, the risks associated and knowing when to use an NPA over an oral, or just a simple jaw thrust could mean the difference between keeping the tongue swept back or causing aspiration of the patient’s vomit or blood after you triggered a gag reflex.
Agree with everyone that mentioned you should still carry those items for people first responders or others trained in using those items.

On a side note, I would recommend having a simple or more streamlined BOK on your person or nearby (CAT tourniquet, Israeli bandage, clotting agent, gloves, shears). Than have a larger med kit in a backpack, rang bag that has all the other stuff you listed: chest seals, surgical lube, NPA, burn get etc. The last thing you want to do is be rummaging through 20+ items while trying to untangle your CAT tourniquet or Israeli bandage to stop an arterial bleed.

The only thing I can think to add would be another CAT tourniquet to put in your backpack or range bag. My reasoning would be to double up on a major femoral bleeder, or if someone was shot through one leg and it went into the other leg you now have two appendages that need a tourniquet (1 is none 2 is one approach).

Thanks for the post OP, this brought up a lot of stuff I had overlooked in my own BOK/trauma bag