PDA

View Full Version : G22 slide catch question

camoman
07-18-12, 22:40
I have a gen 3 G22. Yesterday, after emptying 1 mag, it was in the locked back position...like normal... when I slapped in a new mag, the slide slammed forward, with no manipulation of the slide release. So, I dropped the mag, emptied the chamber, and locked it back...to make sure the problem was not me...I repeated, by slapping the mag back in, and sure enough, it did it again.
I'm guessing I need a new slide catch spring...would this be correct?
Thank you.

Steve S.
07-18-12, 23:04
Google "auto forwarding".

F-Trooper05
07-18-12, 23:32
Try not to slam the mag in so hard. Some guys will tell you to just live with it. Don't listen to them. Auto-forwarding should be avoided whenever possible.

SMJayman
07-25-12, 14:10
Try not to slam the mag in so hard. Some guys will tell you to just live with it. Don't listen to them. Auto-forwarding should be avoided whenever possible.

Why? I've had this happen countless times with multiple Glocks over the span of something like 9 years and it has never caused an issue. I always considered it a speed bonus when performing a reload. I've also had a few instructors mention it as either a neutral or good thing.

LightningFast
07-25-12, 14:23

So would you recommend against M&Ps based solely on that?

F-Trooper05
07-25-12, 14:30
Look at post #28... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77316

NCPatrolAR
07-25-12, 14:44
Why?

Because it can lead to a failure to feed and isnt a consistent event with most shooters.

LightningFast
07-25-12, 15:15
Look at post #28... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77316

I know. I'm asking YOUR opinion. I also think relying on it is foolish. But, I have no problem with guns - like the M&P - doing it (as long as the user is capable of handling the gun with and without it). I'm curious as to your stance on it.

F-Trooper05
07-25-12, 16:57
My opinion is the same as Jason's. I've seen it not feed a round with an M&P at a RB1 course as a matter of fact (as did several other members here). Just last night I saw it not work with a Glock. It's best to just slow your reload down by a fraction of a second and use the slide release lever IMHO.

LightningFast
07-25-12, 18:35
My opinion is the same as Jason's. I've seen it not feed a round with an M&P at a RB1 course as a matter of fact (as did several other members here). Just last night I saw it not work with a Glock. It's best to just slow your reload down by a fraction of a second and use the slide release lever IMHO.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Surf
07-25-12, 22:57
A good shooter with good a good slide release technique will show no difference in speed then in an auto forward type of situation, but will gain the added possibility of having an issue. In a game you might lose a match. In a critical use role, well you might lose a heck of a lot more. I also do not know of any instructors that I consider high quality that would advocate or teach an auto forward. Heck even the lesser quality instructors that I know don't teach it. ;)

ekujustice
07-25-12, 23:41
I have seen some that do some that dont. It usually happens when you seat the mag hard. Mine can do it if i seat it that hard

hunt_ak
07-26-12, 12:03
I've seen it not feed a round with an M&P at a RB1 course as a matter of fact (as did several other members here).
The shooter F-Troop mentions was auto-forwarding his pistol the entire two-day class and during the 'exam' portion of the shooting class, the pistol had an FTF during the auto-forward (much to Jason's chagrin after discussing it the previous day) and the shooter was not ready for it...

brickboy240
07-26-12, 15:28
I have had two borrowed HK USPs do this but none of my 3 Glocks have ever done that.

I found it VERY annoying and one big reason I still don't own an HK USP. I liked the rest of the gun but the mag release and that auto-forwarding....not for me.

-brickboy240