PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce nomenclature explained?

Skyfire1201
07-19-12, 00:33
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a Nightforce 2.5-10 scope for a DMR build, but am thoroughly confused by all the nomenclature associated with this scope. I get it NP-R2, NP-1, Mil-dot etc are reticle patterns. What does "zero stop", "MIL radiant", and some of these other terms mean? I checked Nightforce website and can't find any info related to these terms.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!

ALCOAR
07-19-12, 01:36
Zero Stop: Essentially it provides the end user with the instant ability to return their original zero that was used to sight it in. So this really only helps folks that shoot distance and are constantly dialing in large, and different amounts of dope. The Z-Stop allows them to instantly "reset" back to their org. zero with almost no effort to do so.

People made it alright before Z stop technology...they just had to count, and remember....or the better method, jot all dialed dope into your book for reference. This way is really slow, and it's easy to miss or add a click here and there when your dialing down tons of elevation.

The zero stop makes it to where you just start spinning your elevation dial down til you meet your already set "zero stop" thus returning the zero and preventing you from going below it by even a click. Not counting, looking, and remembering all those little adjustments makes life much easier, and faster for sure.

NF also uses a windage limiter feature that goes along with their zero stop. The windage limiter allows 1/2 revolution in any direction from the established zero

Mil Radian: Mil Radian target adjustments provide a click value of .1 mil as opposed to .25 MOA. They provide precise Mil Radian angular units of measure for both elevation and windage, and ideally go best with NF's Mil Dot or MLR reticles.

You will have to list any other terms you are wanting to learn about as I can't think of really any others off the top of my head. Hope that helps a little.

duece71
07-19-12, 09:24
The Zero stop is a very nice feature and worth the extra $$$. Now, if I can only get my scope back to NF and have the dials switched from MOA to MIL (I have a MIL-dot recticle) I will be all set.

Skyfire1201
07-19-12, 16:35
Gotcha, that's all I can think of for now. Thanks guys!

deadly0311
07-20-12, 02:34
it will be leaps and bounds easier to use if you get the reticle matching the turrets. Meaning if the scope has a Mil-Dot you want Miliradian turrets, if it has a MOA based reticle then you want 1/4 MOA turrets.