PDA

View Full Version : Woman doesn't want a smart meter installed -- defends property

chadbag
07-19-12, 23:26
In Texas of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8MamuRfhow

---

Belmont31R
07-20-12, 00:01
As a libertarian they are stupid.

You only own PAST the meter, and when they bought the house no doubt they had provisions in there granting the various utilities an easement onto the property to service their equipment which they own.

And thats not really a "smart meter" per se. All it does it make it so the utility can drive down the street and collect usage data without having to have a "meter reader" go up and check each individual meter in person.

The real "smart meters" allows the utility to shut your power down or basically control your thermostat so it reduces power consumption during peak hours. THAT I would not want...but wireless meter reading is not a "constitutional infringement". You don't own the meter on your house. The thermostat you do....

ChicagoTex
07-20-12, 00:01
Part of the problem here is that this smart meter business is a massive gray area. Strictly speaking your current meter is not your property, but the property of your local electric provider, and they have a right to replace it (or even, theoretically, remove it). Simultaneously, THEIR meter is within the confines of YOUR property, and you should have the right to ward off those trying to do anything with your meter as you would any other intruder.

I suspect where this is going to end up shaking out is the local electric providers are going to have to start applying for warrants in order to replace meters they don't have consent to replace.

If anyone is aware of any specific legal precedent regarding this issue, please share, as I'm genuinely curious and concerned about this.

Belmont31R
07-20-12, 00:05
Part of the problem here is that this smart meter business is a massive gray area. Strictly speaking your current meter is not your property, but the property of your local electric provider, and they have a right to replace it (or even, theoretically, remove it). Simultaneously, THEIR meter is within the confines of YOUR property, and you should have the right to ward off those trying to do anything with your meter as you would any other intruder.

I suspect where this is going to end up shaking out is the local electric providers are going to have to start applying for warrants in order to replace meters they don't have consent to replace.

If anyone is aware of any specific legal precedent regarding this issue, please share, as I'm genuinely curious and concerned about this.

An easement allows them legal access to the property to service their equipment or whatever is specially called for in the legal wording of what the easement says.

Just like a sidewalk in front of the house. I can't go rip it out, and say its on my property. The easement allows specified use of your property be is local government (sidewalks) or utility companies (meters and their lines from the main source to and including the meter). Past the meter is your property.

ChicagoTex
07-20-12, 00:14
Well, part of my confusion is that the sidewalk is generally close to the perimeter of your property, whereas the meter extends considerably further back for most homes. Just because it's in the back lawn doesn't mean the back lawn isn't the homeowner's, so the legal definition of "easement" for this purpose would actually be based on intention (in this case, to service the meter) or a guarantee of access, rather than specifically delineated space.

I'm by no stretch of the imagination saying such laws don't exist, but I've never personally seen such a law (frankly, I've never had to, I still have yet to own my own home).

chadbag
07-20-12, 00:19
Let me state that by posting this I was not necessarily agreeing with the home owner. I just found it an interesting subject...

I don't know enough about Texas law, this persons home purchase contract or anything else which may allow for an "easement", etc.

But it is an interesting case.

Belmont31R
07-20-12, 00:24
Let me state that by posting this I was not necessarily agreeing with the home owner. I just found it an interesting subject...

I don't know enough about Texas law, this persons home purchase contract or anything else which may allow for an "easement", etc.

Its my understanding the utilities will not put a meter in if they don't have an easement. They are not going to take on the liability of putting a line to your house, installing a meter, and have no legal access to fix or monitor their equipment.

Belmont31R
07-20-12, 00:26
Well, part of my confusion is that the sidewalk is generally close to the perimeter of your property, whereas the meter extends considerably further back for most homes. Just because it's in the back lawn doesn't mean the back lawn isn't the homeowner's, so the legal definition of "easement" for this purpose would actually be based on intention (in this case, to service the meter) or a guarantee of access, rather than specifically delineated space.

I'm by no stretch of the imagination saying such laws don't exist, but I've never personally seen such a law (frankly, I've never had to, I still have yet to own my own home).

It doesn't become "their" property. It just means they can access your property to service their property (the lines to the meter and the meter itself) which is located on your land/side of house.

chadbag
07-20-12, 00:27
Its my understanding the utilities will not put a meter in if they don't have an easement. They are not going to take on the liability of putting a line to your house, installing a meter, and have no legal access to fix or monitor their equipment.

I don't doubt you are right. I just don't know the law in Texas or the details which might affect this. The devil is in the details. Maybe they have the right, but, except for reading the meter or in case of emergency, they have to make an appointment to trespass. I don't know, but such things might be possible.

-

Belmont31R
07-20-12, 00:42
I don't doubt you are right. I just don't know the law in Texas or the details which might affect this. The devil is in the details. Maybe they have the right, but, except for reading the meter or in case of emergency, they have to make an appointment to trespass. I don't know, but such things might be possible.

-

They have to follow the legal guidelines in the easement. Not every easement is the same, and it just depends on what it says. A utility easement would be fairly broad for them to able to to service their lines and equipment...they wouldn't have to setup an appointment with the homeowner to do anything with their lines or equipment. All this stuff should be in the deed or at least on file with the county.

Moose-Knuckle
07-20-12, 03:12
Well if they don't want the meter readers and other power company personnel on their property then they should welcome the smart meter as it would allow the company to "read" the meter remotely thus not having to tress pass on their property to access said meter.

If the power company wants to take issue with the home owners all they need to do is simply turn the power off to the residence.

MarkG
07-20-12, 09:01
This isn't an easement issue in any shape or form. This is all about stupid. The woman should have been arrested and her home should be "OFF THE GRID" permanently. After a couple of weeks of waking up in the middle of the night to refuel the generator I'm sure her attitude would change. I got cash money they are customers of a certain black helicopter, Infowars loving member of this forum.

CarlosDJackal
07-20-12, 11:10
Part of the problem here is that this smart meter business is a massive gray area. Strictly speaking your current meter is not your property, but the property of your local electric provider, and they have a right to replace it (or even, theoretically, remove it). Simultaneously, THEIR meter is within the confines of YOUR property, and you should have the right to ward off those trying to do anything with your meter as you would any other intruder...

Agreed!! She should have the right to decide on who can come onto her property. And likewise, the Power Company should have the right to shut down her electric service if she does not agree with the type of meter they want to install.

I'm pretty sure that if she were to read the fine print of her contract with the power company, she is probably in violation. Like others have said, I don't like the "Smart Meter" concept (where they can control how much power you use). But I have no problems with remote meter reading systems as long as it does not cost me anything extra. YMMV.

CarlosDJackal
07-20-12, 11:16

In most cases "easements" are either explicit or implied in the agreements you have with utility companies. The reason power companies have gone tot he remote reading of meters is twofold: (1) It requires less manpower and time to read these meters; and (2) It minimizes their need to step onto your property.

So basically, if someone where to choose not to agree with remote meter readings they are basically choosing to let the utility to step onto their property with a corresponding increase in liability to the homeowner.

She's an idiot. They should just take their meter and cut her power off. I wonder how long it would take for her to change her tune.

SteyrAUG
07-20-12, 12:22
As a libertarian they are stupid.

You only own PAST the meter, and when they bought the house no doubt they had provisions in there granting the various utilities an easement onto the property to service their equipment which they own.

And thats not really a "smart meter" per se. All it does it make it so the utility can drive down the street and collect usage data without having to have a "meter reader" go up and check each individual meter in person.

The real "smart meters" allows the utility to shut your power down or basically control your thermostat so it reduces power consumption during peak hours. THAT I would not want...but wireless meter reading is not a "constitutional infringement". You don't own the meter on your house. The thermostat you do....

Just saved me some typing.

Moose-Knuckle
07-20-12, 18:55
I got cash money they are customers of a certain black helicopter, Infowars loving member of this forum.

Nah, if you really are a MK18 pilot then I'm sure you are privy to the types of craft that JSOC lost during the OBL raid. :secret:

ThirdWatcher
07-20-12, 20:16
In my corner of the world, you're free to live off the grid. If you want to buy electricity, you've gotta give access to the meter reader. Just about the only visitor I ever get is the meter reader and even the dogs like him.

Belmont31R
07-20-12, 20:20
Agreed!! She should have the right to decide on who can come onto her property.

You do that when you buy the property, and see all the people listed who have legal access to it via an easement.

Kinda like buying into a HOA neighborhood....you agree to the HOA buy buying the property.

Safetyhit
07-20-12, 20:30
Wonder what they will have to say when the outdated meter needs replacing. Paranoid foolishness accompanied by a counter-productive use of a firearm.

chadbag
07-20-12, 22:48
Not about the crazy lady, but about the "smart meters"

--

California Activists Want Smart Meters Banned, Claim They're Bad for Health | PBS NewsHour | July 20, 2012 | PBS

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec12/meters_07-20.html

--

Moose-Knuckle
07-20-12, 22:59
Not about the crazy lady, but about the "smart meters"

--

California Activists Want Smart Meters Banned, Claim They're Bad for Health | PBS NewsHour | July 20, 2012 | PBS

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec12/meters_07-20.html

--

Thanks for posting the link.

Maybe there is more to these smart meters . . . :confused:

montanadave
07-20-12, 23:10
Thanks for posting the link.

Maybe there is more to these smart meters . . . :confused:

These people swim in a sea of electromagnetic radiation, both natural and manmade. They've got bluetooths in their ears, yakking on a smartphone all day, wireless internet in their homes and offices, cooking their meals in a microwave, getting dental x-rays, MRIs, and CT scans from their health care providers ... and on and on.

But the "smart meter" is going to give them a brain tumor and constipation. :rolleyes:

Moose-Knuckle
07-21-12, 00:04
These people swim in a sea of electromagnetic radiation, both natural and manmade. They've got bluetooths in their ears, yakking on a smartphone all day, wireless internet in their homes and offices, cooking their meals in a microwave, getting dental x-rays, MRIs, and CT scans from their health care providers ... and on and on.

But the "smart meter" is going to give them a brain tumor and constipation. :rolleyes:

Yeah I know, it's just that until the OP posted this I had never heard of a smart meter. :blink:

chadbag
07-21-12, 00:10

It might when they get the bill.

While I agree that everyone is awash in electro magnetic radiation, that means nothing if the frequencies and characteristics and power output of the smart meter radiation are different. But, they probably use some standard wireless frequencies and stuff so that is probably not the case. (But my point is that all the other radiation we are exposed to is irrelevant as a comparison if it differs in important ways, which we don't know off hand. We can't make blanket statements without knowing that that radiation is similar)

--