PDA

View Full Version : Advice buying German Luger

Pappabear
07-20-12, 00:08
I have a friend that wants to buy a German Luger for his girlfriend. Any advice on buying a German Luger. What should he look for ?
Imprints? Mfg dates? Locations? Grips? Mags?

Any help appreciated.

PB

Tstien
07-20-12, 02:35
There are very many varibles when it comes to P.08's. You will also need to decide if it is going to be a collector or a shooter. I would tell you to go to this forum http://www.lugerforum.com/ and read.

okie john
07-20-12, 11:08
Caveat emptor. Definitely do your research. As with any gun as steeped in mystique as the Luger, there are a lot of people who will take your money and lie to you about what they're selling.

Okie John

gsxr-fan
07-21-12, 00:33
Before your friend buys anything, I highly recommend that he first check out “Luger at Random” by Charles Kenyon Jr.

It will answer all his questions plus cover all the variations, production numbers and accessories. Having this basic knowledge of lugers and all its variations, I think that he'll make a more informed purchase.

Just my 2 cents....

CompressionIgnition
07-21-12, 01:58
Whatever you do, make sure the seller will give you an "inspection period" so you can make sure the Luger is in fact what they claim to be.

The value depends heavily on whether numbers match. That includes the firing pin!

If the seller states "no returns" and / or doesn't offer an inspection period, then run away.

brickboy240
07-23-12, 11:01
Yes, more so than buying an old Winchester or Colt....buying a REAL Luger P-08 requires much research BEFORE money changes hands.

Since there is usually a large amount of money given for a decent one, you HAVE to know a bit about what you are buying or you can easily get a headache junker or a jam o matic.

Condition is critical and so is having matching parts. Buying an East German re-build is not nearly as frowned upon as it used to be. I have an East German re-furbed Luger that DOES have all matching parts minus the mag. Again...research BEFORE buying is critical.

Good luck in your search. The Luger is worth owning and can be fun to shoot, if you know about it and buy a good one. Prepare to pay quite a bit for a good one.

I have found over the years that if it is kept clean and fed what it likes, the Luger is not unreliable and is extremely accurate.

Good luck in your search.

- brickboy240