PDA

View Full Version : What is the collar on the Ops Inc muzzle brake for?

Skyfire1201
07-20-12, 00:13
As the title states, what is this collar for? At first I thought it's part of the brake integrated to mount the Ops Inc suppressor, but then I saw pictures of rifles with different muzzle brake and still have this collar, so I thought I'd ask.

Part of the reason for asking is I'm planning a DMR build, and some manufacturer's barrel don't seem to have the "ridge" for installing this collar. I want to make sure I'm not cutting off the Ops Inc muzzle brake route by getting an incompatible barrel.

Thanks guys!

bp7178
07-20-12, 00:42
It's for the Ops Inc Model 12 SPR MBS suppressor.

There is a collar on the barrel and many SPR barrels will have a ridge machined for it. The knurled collar on the actual muzzle break unscrews and serves as a thread protector for the threads which mount the suppressor.

Skyfire1201
07-20-12, 01:32
so if a barrel doesn't have this ridge, then an Ops Inc muzzle brake system can't be installed on it, and thus the setup can't use the 12th model suppressor, is that right?

RyanB
07-20-12, 01:36
Correct. The rear of the can presses against it.

Apricotshot
07-20-12, 07:13
Custom collars can be made to fit any barrel. ADCO comes to mind. They say they can put a OPS Inc on anything.

MegademiC
07-21-12, 00:29
Custom collars can be made to fit any barrel. ADCO comes to mind. They say they can put a OPS Inc on anything.

This, the collar is a separate piece that is installed onto the barrel. It keeps the can coencentric - I dont know if threads are on the brake/collar or both, but Adco can install them - go to shop services on their website and its listed there. They do outstanding barrel work.

You can use the brake by itself, but not an ops-inc can unless you have a brake and collar. The silencer/suppressor installs on a 2-point system - brake and collar to keep it rigidly coencentric.

TehLlama
07-21-12, 12:15
As mentioned above, it's the back part of a two-part system. The three muzzle devices (Brake, FH, or Vortex SBV) work as the first part, and there a few collar types dictated by the barrel.

It's possible to have the barrel machined (i.e. create a thinner OD in front of where you need to have a step to mount the collar against) and then install a collar after that, so any barrel CAN do it, though any Mk12 profile barrel (Centurion, HCS, Noveske, BCM all sell ones like this) can have a simpler drop-on collar from OPS installed if you're using the 12th suppressor. Different collar required, but you can also do that for the 16th line (less barrel reflex space required, same baffle stack between those two cans).

Skyfire1201
08-05-12, 16:06
Thanks for the info everyone! I just got a Noveske upper with Ops Inc 12th model contour. I heard from somewhere that ADCO has a collar made for 16th model that'll fit the 12th model contour, does anyone have any experiences with it?

TehLlama
08-06-12, 00:25
I do, and it's fairly simple. On a Centurion Mk12 barrel, but I personally think that collar setup is truly ideal, certainly better than the bigger bulkier one with a spacer.