PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21

Slater
07-20-12, 11:35
Been mulling it over for a while now and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger (no pun intended) on a new Glock 21. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the way the original "fat grip" fits me, although the SF version is nice also.

For those that own and shoot the G-21, how has your overall reliability and accuracy been? I'm leaning toward a Gen 4, but with all the reported issues with the Gen 4 9mm Glocks, I'm a bit leery.

skipper49
07-20-12, 11:46
G21, Gen.4, with TLR-1 is my nightstand gun. Feels great, hasn't missed a lick, and probably more accurate than most of my other Glocks. IMHO, makes a superb "bump in the night" gun(w/ light).
Skip

CobraBG
07-20-12, 11:57
I have a Gen3 G21SF and it has been flawless. The SF is a better fit for me. I bought it to complement my Gen3 G30SF.

Pax
07-20-12, 11:58
If it fits your bear sized hands, sure. I dont have a problem with it. a 21C with goodies was my primary handgun for a couple years a couple years ago.. Then I went back to 9 mil Glocks and it was like switching from crazy bitch exgirlfriend to awesome new girlfriend. Like, wait, youre telling me it doesnt have to be this bad? Just my 0.02.... Id fingerf*ck some 17s and 19s at your local gun shop just to make sure youre familiar with the alternatives.

223to45
07-20-12, 14:16
I have a gen2 and gen3 SF both have been great

I like the SF, fits better, but with the Gen4 you get both.

For those that own and shoot the G-21, how has your overall reliability and accuracy been?

Been great just like all the other glocks.

one
07-20-12, 16:05
There's actually a pretty large number of G21's active in my area. Back in the early 90's there were two guns here that blew up. One was with lead reloads and the other with some type of factory ammunition.

Moving past that point. The G21 is issued by My agency (optional a 21SF or a 9mm Glock) as well as Kansas Highway Patrol, Fish and Game, Tulsa Oklahoma county S.O. and they're owned by a pretty fair number of private individuals and purchasing Officers here.

There have been no problems of any kind that I'm aware of. And a more than a few of these pistols have been through high round count training classes.

I do feel like you're good to go with either a 21, 21SF, or maybe a 30 if you wanted it. I do not have any experience with the 21 in it's 4th gen incarnation.

TN-popo
07-20-12, 20:05
A couple of months ago I switched to a Gen4 21 as my duty pistol.
1000-ish rounds through it (Blazer 230gr FMJ and Speer 230gr Gold Dot) and a set of Ameriglos.
Zero malfunctions/problems and I couldn't be happier.

filthy phil
07-20-12, 20:28
no complaints and all good on the gen 4 on glocktalk

sjc3081
07-20-12, 20:45
I have gen2 21 that is good pistol but have had a few bullet nose stuck on feed ramp malfunctions,Remington +P 185 JHP.
My favorite is the gen3 20 that has never hiccuped.

Ironbutt
07-20-12, 22:59
We've used Gen III G21's as duty guns for a couple years & they get alot of rounds through them on monthly training days. I don't recall anybody having any problems with them.

I bought one for personal use & put a TLR 1 on it for HD use. Other than being a big, fat ugly thing, I have no complaints with it. I immediately replaced the sights with a set of Hacks, though.

MILSHOOTER
07-20-12, 23:48
If it fits your bear sized hands, sure. I dont have a problem with it. a 21C with goodies was my primary handgun for a couple years a couple years ago.. Then I went back to 9 mil Glocks and it was like switching from crazy bitch exgirlfriend to awesome new girlfriend. Like, wait, youre telling me it doesnt have to be this bad? Just my 0.02.... Id fingerf*ck some 17s and 19s at your local gun shop just to make sure youre familiar with the alternatives.

I had the same experience as Pax. I traded my 21 in to help pay for a 1911 and I love Glocks especially my 17.

PA PATRIOT
07-21-12, 00:07
I have two Gen three G21SFs and they both have been perfect.

JR3
07-21-12, 08:46
I have been shooting a 21SF since 2008. Current load is 230gr Gold Dots. Replaced factory sights with Warren Tactical sights. Grip reduction was also performed.

Initially, I was hesitant about getting this gun. Glad I did. It's been nothing but good to go.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/JollyRoger3/IMG_6241.jpg

Slater
07-21-12, 10:50
Appreciate all the feedback. With guns like the HK 45, M&P 45, the myriad of 1911's, etc., the G-21 seems to be somewhat "under the radar" for a lot of folks.

m4brian
07-21-12, 12:04
Anyone handle and shoot the 21SF vice a Gen4? How do they compare?

Split66
07-21-12, 12:15
I have 2500 through my 21 sf with no malfunctions. It has a very light recoil impulse even with +p loads, very capable at rapid follow ups and very accurate with all types of ammo. ( I prefer the Gold Dots or Hornady 230 gr +p ) It is a sweet shooter, the most pleasurable .45 I've ever shot. It's only drawback is it's bulk, but its perfect for HD work or a PD sidearm.

TN-popo
07-21-12, 15:24
Anyone handle and shoot the 21SF vice a Gen4? How do they compare?

Yes, I have.
I run my Gen4 w/o backstraps. I could have bought/carried either on duty. What sold me on the Gen4 21 was the texture and, to a lesser degree, the mag release.

ddnguyen9
07-21-12, 15:34
I have a Glock 21 SF issued to me as a duty gun. Probably put about 5000+ rounds through it and can't recall a malfunction. I have replaced the recoil spring. It's a reliable firearm and you can't go wrong.

brushy bill
07-21-12, 15:46
Yes.
I run my Gen4 w/o backstraps. I could have bought/carried either on duty. What sold me on the Gen4 21 was the texture and, to a lesser degree, the mag release.

How's it been performing? What has reliability been like? Number of Rds? Read on this forum that the Gen 4 21s have not had the problems the 17 has.

andrewj
07-21-12, 16:11
I really enjoy shooting my 21C. Its accurate for what it is and I don't recall ever having a malfunction. It would probably be my HD gun if it weren't ported. One of these days I'll buy a factory non-ported barrel for that reason.

TN-popo
07-21-12, 16:18
How's it been performing? What has reliability been like? Number of Rds? Read on this forum that the Gen 4 21s have not had the problems the 17 has.

Read post #7...

JeepDriver
07-21-12, 19:30
I've recently had an irrational desire for a G21.

This thread isn't helping.

JR3
07-21-12, 19:57
I have 2500 through my 21 sf with no malfunctions. It has a very light recoil impulse even with +p loads, very capable at rapid follow ups and very accurate with all types of ammo. ( I prefer the Gold Dots or Hornady 230 gr +p ) It is a sweet shooter, the most pleasurable .45 I've ever shot. It's only drawback is it's bulk, but its perfect for HD work or a PD sidearm.

Split66,

Excellent point in reference to the recoil impulse. +1

ddnguyen9
07-21-12, 20:47
I've recently had an irrational desire for a G21.

This thread isn't helping.

I totally understand where you are coming from. After joining this forum, I have had many irrational desires for guns I don't really need. (i.e. FN SCAR, FNH 45 Tactical...)

This is an expensive "hobby".

transition2secondary
07-21-12, 22:08
I've got a G21 SF RTF. That frame on the 21 is perfect (for me anyway). OP, if you can get a 21 in an RTF, grab it.

darr3239
07-21-12, 22:40
I bought a Glock 21 before they had the slimmer grip profile model. I had a Robar grip reduction, which has worked out extremely well, for my average sized hands.

No need for porting on a .45, since it doesn't have the velocity to make it worthwhile, plus it has the negative affect for night time shooting.

Ranger45
07-22-12, 09:37
Another +1 for the Gen4 G21.

I replaced my old Gen3 G21 with a new Gen4 in May. Couldn't be happier. Zero malfunctions...this thing shoots like a dream.

m4brian
07-22-12, 14:27
Anyone get Glock-bite with the 9mm models, but NOT with the SF or Gen 4 21s?

anthony1
07-23-12, 03:04
Had mine since last summer, been great so far. l too like the big grip, lm a really skinny guy and it prints too much for me to CC in any manner though during the warm months- thats my only gripe, but its not much of one since l didnt buy it for CC. Thats more of an endorsement- like it so much l wish l could cc it.

Sensei
07-23-12, 10:08
I have both a G21SF and a Gen 4 G21. There is a noticeable improvement in the recoil impulse with the Gen4. I've got just over 800 rounds with no malfunctions.

one
07-23-12, 15:19
I have both a G21SF and a Gen 4 G21. There is a noticeable improvement in the recoil impulse with the Gen4. I've got just over 800 rounds with no malfunctions.

I'm interested in hearing that. About a year ago I had occasion to put about 1k through a gen4 19 and at that time was able to shoot it side by side with a gen3 19. The recoil and recovery was much easier and faster with the gen4 for me.

At the time though there was so many reports of problems with gen4's that I went ahead and ordered a gen3 19 as a work gun. It took virtually a year to receive the pistols and during that time all the same problems became evident and started getting reported on in the gen3's.

When it did arrive it wasn't long before problems started and I eventually had to get a new 30274 ejector in my gen3 19 to get it to work. Not one of the gen4's that we ordered has had the slightest problem. Those were all 17's and 19's.

Trying to play it safe and smart and all I did was screw myself out of what I feel is the better pistol.

Big A
07-24-12, 13:43
Two friends of mine have 21SF's. I shoot them better than I shoot my 9mm Glocks.

Needless to say I'm saving my nickels and dimes for a Gen4 21...

TMcGuff
07-24-12, 22:43
I have a G17 and 34. Stupidly i bought a M&P 45 insted of a g21 sf... now im selling the M&P for a g21... Not a trendy glock bandwagon guy but i say if it works buy it.

El Cid
07-25-12, 11:36
Is the Gen 4 with no backstraps close to or the same as the 21SF in terms of grip size/feel?

Sensei
07-25-12, 11:43
Is the Gen 4 with no backstraps close to or the same as the 21SF in terms of grip size/feel?

Yes - essentially identical.

DeltaG21
07-26-12, 20:31
My agency issued is a Gen3 G21. I've spent so many hours training with it that I decided to get a Gen4 G21. I set the Gen4 up the same as my duty gun and often use it during training sessions to keep from having to go on shift smelling like gun cleaner. IMHO the Gen4 is a better or easier if you prefer, shooter than the Gen3, especially with the smaller grip size and softer recoil.

JonInWA
07-27-12, 08:26
I've had a Gen 3 "big butt"/non-SF for years; it's been a superb gun, with absolutely zero malfunctions after thousands of rounds. I'm running it with a dot connector, Glock steel sights, and a Glock G37 extended slide stop/release. The triggerbar was upgraded by Glock in 2006, although I'd encountered no problems with the OEM one.

I've literally heard of no problems or issues with the Gen4 G21; they're pretty much the unsung heros of the entire Gen4 release.

I recommend both Gen 3 and/or Gen4 G21s without hesitation. Additionally, while I'm not a huge guy, I have no problems carrying mine concealed (using a Blade-Tech IWB holster the majority of the time, and a Glock Sport/Combat holster for OWB carry). Mine is used for carry, IDPA, and GSSF.

Best, Jon

07-27-12, 09:22
My Gen3 G21SF is uncannily accurate. It never fails to impress me when I shoot it. From what I understand, reports of excellent mechanical accuracy from G21s and 30s are pretty common.

It actually kind of pisses me off, as I've been exclusively carrying and training with a G17 for 7+ years now. The G21 is just a 'toy' that I bought out of curiosity.

I'm still much faster with the G17, but I can't help but wish it was anywhere near as accurate as this G21.

FWIW, my G21 is a late model Gen3, SPT serial prefix, and exhibits none of the issues reported with the late model 9mm Gen3s. 100% reliable feeding and extraction, and ejects with authority. I'm actually not sure if anyone's been having problems with newer G21s or not, just thought I'd throw it out there as a data point.

Slater
07-27-12, 11:53
To use the comments of a buddy of mine regarding the G-21, "they shoot fine, they're just too damn bulky". Is that a sticking point for a lot of folks?

07-27-12, 12:12
To use the comments of a buddy of mine regarding the G-21, "they shoot fine, they're just too damn bulky". Is that a sticking point for a lot of folks?

Pretty much. Even with a Vickers mag catch on my 21SF, I still have to shift my dominant hand grip slightly in order to reliably drop the magazine (though this problem is addressed nicely with the new Gen4 mag catch, IMO).

To me, even the the magazines themselves feel excessively bulky and cumbersome when doing manipulations. I'm definitely not 'on' the gun when shooting the G21 at speed, if that makes sense. It feels more like I'm just giving the gun suggestions, and am along for the ride.

I liken it to my G17 feeling like a katana, while my G21 feels like a 20-lb sledgehammer (albiet a very accurate, reliable sledgehammer).

JonInWA
07-27-12, 12:31
It's bulk simply isn't an issue with me in actual operational use. Yes, your hands index differently on it compared to a G17, but it's not a difficult adjustment at all. The only thing that I've done is to have added a mountain bike inner tube segment to the receiver grip to reduce potential slipperiness with perspiring hands.

Best, Jon

MiamiSniper
07-28-12, 14:11
Been mulling it over for a while now and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger (no pun intended) on a new Glock 21. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the way the original "fat grip" fits me, although the SF version is nice also.

For those that own and shoot the G-21, how has your overall reliability and accuracy been? I'm leaning toward a Gen 4, but with all the reported issues with the Gen 4 9mm Glocks, I'm a bit leery.

I'm thinking about getting one also.... when does it end???:fie:

PSBT4117
07-31-12, 19:23
To the OP,

If you are looking for a full size .45, I've found the G21 to be a solid pistol. I've owned one, a non-SF version for over 4 years and its been solid. I've experienced no FTE's, FTF's, etc. Accuracy is good but I shoot better with a G17 or a G22. The grip is big but manageable.

I use it mainly as a dedicated HD/range gun. It gets carried in the winter in a Safariland 6378. If you are used to carrying or using Glock on a regular basis, then the G21 makes sense if you are looking for a .45. I have to carry a G22 on a regular basis so when I want to a shoot a .45, the G21 makes the most sense.

TacticalSledgehammer
07-31-12, 20:57
The G21sf is probably my favorite .45 that I've shot.