PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy with Flash Hider Mount vs Brake Mount

saddlerocker
07-20-12, 15:07
I would rather have a Flash hider on my 11.5" so I could use it unsuppressed more comfortably.

I understand that a Brake will help prolong the life of the suppressor/blast baffle, but im not real concerned with that.

I remember reading a post where the current or former owner of OPS INC said he always recommended a brake mount because accuracy was better.
It had something to do with bleeding off gasses from around the projectile before they get a chance to affect it.

Im waiting on a Surefire 212 and wondering if anyone has seen a difference in accuracy between a flash hider and brake mount when using a suppressor.

Thanks

saddlerocker
07-23-12, 22:02
No opinions or experience with this?
No SME's ever heard anything one way or the other?

Any rough idea how much longevity is added to a full sized suppressor on an 11.5" when using a brake as opposed to a flash hider? (assuming no full auto, a pretty tame firing schedule)

justlikeanyoneelse
07-24-12, 17:12
IMO accuracy depends most on your ability rather than what is equipped to your rifle. I have shot both hider and brake and they were both pretty much the same, a brake and hider just have different uses. As brakes make much more sense for competitors (rapid follow up shots with little rise) and hiders for more "tactical" situations.

As to your longeivity question I have heard that a brake minimizes baffle erosion or something like that but I don't really see any on my sbr and mini combo. I think the whole baffle erosion is kinda over blown.

VIP3R 237
07-24-12, 17:37
While i do not have any first hand experience with this, i have heard some guys swear that with a A1 Fh vs A2 they have seen an accuracy increase.

saddlerocker
07-25-12, 18:55
Thanks for the replies.

Im really leaning toward the 212 (birdcage style) flash hider.

The brake has many advantages, but one major drawback in that it is obnoxious without the suppressor.

I think the 11.5", if not too loud, will be a nice quick handling setup without the can.
I dont want to negate that feature because I find the brake to annoying.

I plan to run the suppressor the vast majority of the time, but the weight of a full size can is almost that of a whole other barrel hanging off the end.
I may find it unwieldy sometimes.

munch520
07-26-12, 15:23
I'll always go brake. Rob had some interesting findings in terms of accuracy (shift) with the flash hider/OPS mount combo...

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/39371.html

Apricotshot
07-26-12, 15:39
IME with my OPS Inc M4S using both A1 birdcage and brake muzzle devices on 12.5 and 14.5 inch barrels. I have found a greater change of POA/POI with the birdcage and little to no change using the break.

The concusive blast of the break on the 14.5 and the 12.5 when not mounting the can made me switch back to the birdcage. The last class I took using the break had people hating me. It also made shooting from unconventional positions miserable as well. Think 3-4 inch holes in the ground and debris flying through the air.

saddlerocker
07-26-12, 17:57
I'll always go brake. Rob had some interesting findings in terms of accuracy (shift) with the flash hider/OPS mount combo...

http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8301/39371.html

Thats a pretty drastic change.
Granted he used the scope and bipod for the test with the brake. But it seems the POI is much better.

Im hoping its not that much of a difference with a SF 212 and 212 FH.

....... I dunno, I cant win.