PDA

View Full Version : Know nothing about handguns? What to buy??

Elkhound
07-20-12, 16:50
I enjoy long guns and I know a good bit about them. But, I know next to nothing about handguns. Many years ago, as a young Assistant United States Attorney, I had some instruction from the Deputy U.S. Marshals on the use of handguns, but since then, I have not expanded my training, nor have I ever owned a hand gun.

Now, I think it is time to seriously reconsider my personal defense strategy. I plan to complete my concealed carry course and buy a couple of handguns. I think I'd like to buy two or three handguns and train with them.

So, what do you suggest as safe, effective, starting handguns for me to train with and to comfortably conceal and carry when I am permitted to do so? I know I can Google this and get 10,000 opinions, but I value the information available on this forum.

Do you suggest buying the guns from the same manufacturer, so I only have one brand to master, or buy from various manufactures so as to be a bit "cross trained.? Do you suggest getting a smaller caliber to practice with (I'm not really concerned about the price of practice ammo.) and a larger caliber to carry?

What do you suggest for the means of actually carrying the weapon with me, or on my body?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

filthy phil
07-20-12, 16:58
get glocks, either 9 or .40
the mags interchange in common calibers. 3 different sizes- compact, mid size, full size. the full size mags work in the smaller guns.
the glock trigger is simple. if the trigger is in the rear position, there's no way a round is chambered. trigger forward, it's cocked and should be considered ready to go.
glocks are very light also, making them easy to carry. durable and reliable also. at least the gen 3 and older guns

sammage
07-20-12, 17:58
Glock 19 (older 3rd generation) or a Smith and Wesson M&P9 come to mind as good starter pistols that make great SD implements as well. Affordable, reliable, easy to maintain.

OkieOutlaw
07-21-12, 12:52
I also highly reccomend the Glock platform. It is really easy to master and the ability to totally change things is priceless. For instance I first started out with a standard Model 22 several years ago when I got into law enforcement. I soon purchased the advantage arms conversion kit which allowed me to shoot the very affordable 22lr for practice with the same gun I carried every day. Soon after that I purchased a 9mm match grade barrel for the old girl which actually transformed my 40 cal blaster into 3 totally different guns while maintaining the original Glock perfection performance. I now own several Glocks in about every configuration imaginable, from 22lr up to the venerable 45acp all based in the Glock format so that gun to gun everything is identical except for caliber. Imagine having one 45 acp that will accept conversion barrels for every caliber. 40,357sig,9mm,22lr. all on one proven simple and easy to use platform.

Red Rezin
07-23-12, 15:48
I've owned and sold many handguns trying to find the best overall package and ended up with a Glock 19 (3rd gen).

My previous carry handguns were several M&P9's, XD's, Glock 17, S&W .38 snubbie. I've shot and handled about everything else. I'm not a fan of other Glock's as much and really liked the M&P series as well, but Glock 19 had everything in the right size for me.

Red Rezin

Moltke
07-23-12, 16:11
What is your intended purpose? Home defense? Concealed carry?

If you're looking for a serious use handgun for concealed carry or self defense, you'll probably want to take a hard look at something that is lightweight, high capacity, reasonably accurate, highly reliable, and isn't going to break the bank.

There are many choices out there but the top three are generally regarded around here as Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P, and Heckler & Koch. I suggest you go to a gunstore/range that has rentals and spend the money up front to rent/shoot each to have your own developed opinion.

Of course if you don't want to do that - then buy a Glock 19 because you'll be happy with it and it'll get the job done.

Hmac
07-23-12, 16:28
Heh. Posting "what gun should I get" on a firearms forum is always interesting. Basically, what you'll get is a lot of guys telling you what they carry. Without knowing anything about you, your life, or your intended need.

If you know nothing about handguns, DON'T buy a handgun. Yet. Start with a basic NRA pistol course, or at least spend some time with some kind of firearms-savvy friend or mentor. Let him pick your brain about what your needs are and then advise you on the plusses and minuses of the various brands, types, calibers, etc. Then get the gun, take a course for your state's CCW permit. Use it as an opportunity to figure out how you want to carry it. Then, after you have your permit, take the various courses in your area on defensive handgun use.

My wife is not in any way a firearms enthusiast. However, she has perceived a need for the occasional need to carry a handgun to keep her safe. She took the NRA course, then the CCW course, got her permit, In about 2 weeks she's taking a local Defensive Handgun Course third level. And she practices diligently, even though it's not a pastime she would ordinarily choose. Very proud of her for that. It's a huge responsibility and a perishable skill, and she takes it seriously.

Too many people think that all they have to do is buy a handgun, put it in their drawer or on their person, and they're automatically safe. Without training, you and your family are likely in more danger than if you didn't have a gun at all.

/

CDR_Glock
07-24-12, 00:11
I enjoy long guns and I know a good bit about them. But, I know next to nothing about handguns. Many years ago, as a young Assistant United States Attorney, I had some instruction from the Deputy U.S. Marshals on the use of handguns, but since then, I have not expanded my training, nor have I ever owned a hand gun.

Now, I think it is time to seriously reconsider my personal defense strategy. I plan to complete my concealed carry course and buy a couple of handguns. I think I'd like to buy two or three handguns and train with them.

So, what do you suggest as safe, effective, starting handguns for me to train with and to comfortably conceal and carry when I am permitted to do so? I know I can Google this and get 10,000 opinions, but I value the information available on this forum.

Do you suggest buying the guns from the same manufacturer, so I only have one brand to master, or buy from various manufactures so as to be a bit "cross trained.? Do you suggest getting a smaller caliber to practice with (I'm not really concerned about the price of practice ammo.) and a larger caliber to carry?

What do you suggest for the means of actually carrying the weapon with me, or on my body?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Background

Get some formal instruction, learn the laws that govern your state, county, and federal government. Learn when you can and when you should never fire a firearm.

FIREARMS

A good starter pistol is a 22 LR to focus upon fundamentals. It's cheap to shoot, not intimidating, and whenever you've fallen from the basics you can fall back upon it. Alternatively, it may be best to just rent one, get back onto track from where you left off. When you're comfortable, you can move on.

The Glock 19 3rd generation is a solid gun to maintain, shoot, and carry. Being a compact, it's easily concealable. It's smaller counterpart can be acquired, the G26, and the magazines from a 19 will work in a 26 but not vice versa. Ammo is inexpensive for FMJ, and in +P they're highly effective. Recoil is minimal compared to your alternatives, such as the 45ACP, 10 mm, 357 Sig, 40 S&W and 38 +P. Springfield XD or XDM is a competitor to Glock, as is the Smith and Wesson M&P. It's all a personal preference. Find what suits you.

As a new CCW, it's best to stay away from external safeties or using a gun that has no safety, and another that does (i.e. Glock 19 + 1911 45 ACP.

If it were solely for targets and home defense, I recommend a first time gun owner to get a revolver. Models like the S&W 686, Ruger GP100, or Ruger SP101 are good options. However, they're heavy, have limited capacities,and take instruction/practice to reload quickly. Triggers are stiffer and heavier.

HOLSTERS

Personal preference. It depends upon your clothing. If you go inside the waistband, then you need to upsize your pants one size (i.e. 38 to 40, for example). A cost effective method if you don't want to buy a new wardrobe is Outside the Waistband. However, it requires a coat, sweater or blazer to conceal a firearm. I like Hybrids, like the Crossbreed Supertuck or Shielded Holsters Phalanx. With a good holster, you need a stick/heavy gun belt for retention. As a lawyer, you can do a shoulder holster. There are numerous things to adhere to make it work.

Approach

I recommend renting or shooting with colleagues/friends to see what you can handle in terms of firearms. Some may say to start with a larger caliber off the bat. But you need to walk before you can run, as they say.

Shopping for a holster requires shopping for a belt, concomitanty.

BCmJUnKie
07-24-12, 00:21
Dont BUY a pistol.

BUY some training and try out some rental guns or those an INSTRUCTOR has on hand.

They are not toys and playing "Trial & Error" can get really expensive

filthy phil
07-24-12, 05:08
I. Imagine having one 45 acp that will accept conversion barrels for every caliber. 40,357sig,9mm,22lr. all on one proven simple and easy to use platform.

who makes this conversion 45 to 9? because there's not one for 10mm to 9.
and those (10 and 45) have the same frame

Elkhound
07-24-12, 05:46
Excellent information and ideas. Thank you. I particularly like the comment about "perishable skills." I absolutely agree with that.

My intended use is personal defense. I wish to become skilled with handling, firing, cleaning and performing basic maintenance on the pistols. I wish to conceal carry and have a few pistols available in the house for home defense. I do not have small children to worry about, just a fat Basset Hound I'd hate to shoot by accident.

I do have a job which causes about 1/2 of the people I encounter on a weekly basis to hate me. So, I take my personal defense pretty seriously and wish to obtain proper training and skills.

Hmac
07-24-12, 06:49
I agree about the expense of selecting a pistol by trial and error, the reason I'd recommend going slow. I agree that Glock makes an excellent, durable pistol and I usually carry a Glock 19 if and when I carry, but many, many people find them unsuitable for one reason or another. You need to try some pistols out, see if your particular preference is for revolver vs semi-auto, safety vs no safety, single action vs SA/DA, 9mm vs .40 vs .45. THEN, you have the whole holster selection thing. If are bombarded with opinions about which pistol to buy, wait until you ask what holster you should use. You will be far less frustrated by being guided through the process in person rather than getting Internet opinions.

RogerinTPA
07-24-12, 09:21
Suggest doing some extensive research first, try & shoot various quality pistols (Glock, M&P, HK, etc...), in what ever caliber you want to use, pick one, then get some training.

gatorfan605
07-24-12, 12:07
Try out as many as you can. Go to the LGS or range and find the one that best fits your needs. Once you select one, spend more money on mags and ammo than accessories. Glock makes great pistols but, everyone has differing opinions. Make up your own mind about what you like, and become proficient with it.

Keebsley
07-24-12, 16:01
Take this for what it's worth but it seems that the "gold standard" is a Glock 19 for size and caliber. I'm sure DocGKR can explain the benefits of a 9mm caliber with the proper ammunition but it's fairly hard to beat.

Again, I echo going and trying different guns and see which you can shoot to the best of -your- ability and then get proper training.

Aray
07-25-12, 08:37
People have already given what I view as good info as far as gun selection (Glock, M&P, HK, etc), so I'll talk about the other side of the issue: holsters. Don't skimp on a holster! Stay away from any holster that does not allow you to easily put the gun in with one hand. The better the holster, the more comfortable and effective you'll be.

10-76
07-27-12, 16:43
My patent respone to noobs: S&W 686. It's a .357 mag. revolver when you want it to be, and you can train with .38 special econo. rounds.

Work on your basic mechanics of grip, sight alignment, sight picture, stance. Go from there when comfortable...

rob_s
07-31-12, 16:19
My patent respone to noobs: S&W 686. It's a .357 mag. revolver when you want it to be, and you can train with .38 special econo. rounds.

Work on your basic mechanics of grip, sight alignment, sight picture, stance. Go from there when comfortable...

My patent response to people that suggest antiques for new shooters: pull your head out of your ass.

None of those things you suggest working on are exclusive to a revolver. And it's been awhile since I bought .38 special ammo but it was more expensive than 9mm last time I did.

zimm17
08-01-12, 13:25
My advice:

1) Take a concealed carry class. I sent my dad to one last week, he had zero firearms experience nor knowledge. 6 hours of quality instruction along with range time with .22's and 38 special revolvers.

The class pretty much helped him figure out what kind of gun he wanted.

2) Are you going to conceal carry primarily, or keep it at home for defense? If you get a gun too big to hide comfortably, it'll spend more time at home, doing you no good.

3) You can rent handguns at shooting ranges and try them out before you buy something.

4) For concealed carry- I recommend either a compact .380 (Ruger LCP, Smith Bodyguard). They fit in a pocket and you can carry in any clothing. If you wear a button up shirt or jacket, you go bigger, like a S&W shield 9mm or compact glock 26.

5) House duty- full size 9mm like a glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD.

6) I recommend 9mm for new shooters- sure it won't have the knockdown power of a .40 or .45, but it's cheaper and easier to shoot. Plus it still works.

7) Whatever you get, PRACTICE shooting it. At least a few times a year.

fail wagon
08-02-12, 12:12
Starting with a 9mm is usually better, it's a little more tame and you have more capacity. As you get more proficient you can step up the caliber and decrease capacity

afff_667
08-02-12, 12:54
People have already given what I view as good info as far as gun selection (Glock, M&P, HK, etc), so I'll talk about the other side of the issue: holsters. Don't skimp on a holster! Stay away from any holster that does not allow you to easily put the gun in with one hand. The better the holster, the more comfortable and effective you'll be.

Don't skimp on a quality belt, either. You'll lose most, if not all, of the benefits of a high quality holster if you pair it with a Walmart, Nordstrom, or any other retailer's special designed to hold up nothing more than your pants. Don't kid yourself on this one...get a GUN belt.

Although I'm nothing but a novice with this stuff and try to stay in my lane, I paid attention to some good advice I received early on and went with a couple of excellent GUN belts for concealed carry. The search function is your friend.

Like the comments above about a holster, don't skimp or otherwise under estimate the importance of a belt.

zimm17
08-02-12, 14:13
exactly what afff_ above said... I can't recommend beltman.com belts enough. I bought one years ago and have been wearing it daily since. I don't think I'll ever wear it out.

As for IWB holster- lots to choose from, I have a whole box of them. I've settled on Crossbreed for now- affordable, they ship out in a week or two, and very comfortable.