PDA

View Full Version : Dead Horse Time! Muzzle Devices Revisited

DoubleJ
07-20-12, 17:34
I've gotten it in my head that I want to build a lightweight carbine. I'm looking for recommendations on a muzzle device. It MUST be long enough to bring the barrel length (14.5" DD LW) to 16.xx". My main concern is reduction in muzzle flip, my secondary concern is that it's not 1" in diameter and looks like a can on the end of the barrel, my third concern is that it does not affect accuracy, my fourth concern is that it hides some of the flash. I'm not concerned at all with recoil reduction, as my goal weight is 5# for the rifle and I expect it to kick more than my SPR. Thanks all.

PS, I like that Titan, but it looks long and heavy. Anyone have dimensions?

Brahmzy
07-20-12, 18:14
The Titan is a chunk. It's heavy. It is meant for recoil reduction. Honestly, the BC 1.5 sounds like a good MD for you to try. It control muzzle flip, helps with flash and is extremely lightweight.

This all has been covered about a billion times already though.

DoubleJ
07-20-12, 20:21
Yeah, I've been researching it for about a week now, and wasn't getting my exact question answered with the search function. You're referring to the battle comp that's made for 14.5" barrels, correct? I really like that break. I've also bought some reliable cars for less money than they want for that thing. I just can't justify that sort of dough on a MD. Does anyone make a copycat of it?

SomeOtherGuy
07-20-12, 21:52
The Spike's Tactical Dynacomp "Extreme" is essentially the same as a BC 1.5 in function and length, and is also long enough to bring a 14.5" up to 16" for legal purposes. At $90 it's a little less but not by tons, and when you consider the hassle of pinning and welding you might think about whether the BC is worth it up front for less worries later (not that I've heard of any issues with the Dynacomp).

If I were putting a permanent device on a 14.5" I would get an AAC Blackout or a BCM A2X, for longest wear with least cleaning hassles.

VIP3R 237
07-20-12, 21:59
Maybe look at the PWS Triad, my only concern is it's 2.2" long so i do not know if its long enough to make it the legal 16.1"

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=251&idcategory=6

militarymoron
07-20-12, 22:01
Does anyone make a copcat of it?

get the real thing if you want one, not a rip-off, especially of an M4C site-sponsor's product.

DoubleJ
07-20-12, 22:05
I wasn't even aware that Spikes made MDs. That thing does look pretty slick, and 90 is still alot, but a little more palatable (sp?) than 150. I'll add it to the short list in my brain, thanks.

Atticus_1354
07-20-12, 22:07
I have a triad that I basically bought because it looks cool. However it works well for flash, but does little for muzzle rise. If the price increase over an A2 is fine with you then go for it.

Maybe look at the PWS Triad, my only concern is it's 2.2" long so i do not know if its long enough to make it the legal 16.1"

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=251&idcategory=6

VIP3R 237
07-20-12, 22:11
get the real thing if you want one, not a rip-off, especially of an M4C site-sponsor's product.

Not only is the Battle Comp an excellent device made by a company that sponsors this site, they are a good group of people and have amazing customer service.

lunchbox
07-20-12, 23:09
AND if not mistaken the battle comp can accept a Halo suppressor, if you were so inclined down the road.

DoubleJ
07-20-12, 23:15
In looking into diameter and finding that only Rainier lists dimensions of their MDs, I got my calipers out and measured all the breaks at my house (A1, A2, 3G, Custom Levang, ?? from GB), and they all came in around .870. RA lists thiers at .872 I believe. I couldn't find the BC dimensions, nor the DC dimensions. Does anyone make a skinny break that wouldn't look huge on the DD LW barrel I'm considering?

rob_s
07-21-12, 03:07
Does anyone make a skinny break that wouldn't look huge on the DD LW barrel I'm considering?

I admit, I'm confused by this, but the Battlecomp I have in a box is 0.852" OD. The A2, by my measurement, is 0.864".

Hehuhates
07-21-12, 05:01
Why not get a 16" barrel without threads in an ultra-light profile? I think that is the lightest option. 5.56 isn't exactly hard to handle without a break.

DoubleJ
07-21-12, 07:23
Why not get a 16" barrel without threads in an ultra-light profile? I think that is the lightest option. 5.56 isn't exactly hard to handle without a break.

I've considered this option too, maybe just putting a thread protector on the end of the DD 16". It's hard to imagine any black rifle without something hanging off the end though, like a muscle car with one exhaust...

Hehuhates
07-21-12, 07:32
I've considered this option too, maybe just putting a thread protector on the end of the DD 16". It's hard to imagine any black rifle without something hanging off the end though, like a muscle car with one exhaust...

Naaa it's not that bad. I have an AR set up like that. It's easier for ban states. Changing float tubes barrel swaps and such are MUCH easier and cheaper. An AR-15 is still an easy rifle to control, I'd imagine competition shooters would pick up fractions of a sec. on split times and such but............

askani79705
07-21-12, 08:20
http://store.troyind.com/Medieval_Muzzle_Brake_5_56mm_p/sbra-med-05bt-00.htm

I use this.

CarbonCycles
07-21-12, 08:25
Surefire MB

Great brake with some flash suppression.

jaxman7
07-21-12, 12:25
I've gotten it in my head that I want to build a lightweight carbine. I'm looking for recommendations on a muzzle device. It MUST be long enough to bring the barrel length (14.5" DD LW) to 16.xx". My main concern is reduction in muzzle flip, my secondary concern is that it's not 1" in diameter and looks like a can on the end of the barrel, my third concern is that it does not affect accuracy, my fourth concern is that it hides some of the flash. I'm not concerned at all with recoil reduction, as my goal weight is 5# for the rifle and I expect it to kick more than my SPR. Thanks all.

PS, I like that Titan, but it looks long and heavy. Anyone have dimensions?

Do you have the 14.5" barrel yet? If not I would HIGHLY recommend getting a 16". That way your options aren't permanent. Not to sound like a jerk but I sounds to me like you are a little too worried about looks. Yeh the 14.5 looks cooler but having options and not blowing money on stuff that you may decide you want to swap out later is a whole lot 'cooler' to me.
The more you get into ARs the less you are concerned with appearance and more with function. Don't fall into the if it looks awesome and is the newest fad I must have it to be a better shooter trap.
Also if you are wanted to keep it light the difference between a 14.5 and 16 (Daniel Defense barrel used as example, according to Rainier Arms' website) LW barrel is only 2 ounces.

-Jax

DoubleJ
07-21-12, 15:21
That got me thinking, how much do breaks weigh?
Stag 3G 3.55oz
Custom Levang 4.11oz
A2 2.06oz
Triangle port thingie 2.46

I guess I don't really want 1/4lb of metal hanging out front if my goal is a 5# rifle, so maybe I need to re-think some stuff. I don't have the 14.5 yet. In fact, all I have so far are spare parts from my other 2 ARs that would be used in the build, so I can plan the whole thing out before I spend a nickle. I will admit though, breaks look cool, and it just seems weird to me not having one on an AR, so maybe I'll have to get over that and run a plain old front on it. Hell, Garands and M44s didn't have breaks.

Hehuhates
07-21-12, 15:59
But it won't be cool

jaxman7
07-21-12, 16:48
That got me thinking, how much do breaks weigh?
Stag 3G 3.55oz
Custom Levang 4.11oz
A2 2.06oz
Triangle port thingie 2.46

I guess I don't really want 1/4lb of metal hanging out front if my goal is a 5# rifle, so maybe I need to re-think some stuff. I don't have the 14.5 yet. In fact, all I have so far are spare parts from my other 2 ARs that would be used in the build, so I can plan the whole thing out before I spend a nickle. I will admit though, breaks look cool, and it just seems weird to me not having one on an AR, so maybe I'll have to get over that and run a plain old front on it. Hell, Garands and M44s didn't have breaks.

Triangle port thingie?

Its brake not break

Go shoot the two you have. Go take a class. Then go figure out what you need not want.

-Jax

DoubleJ
07-21-12, 20:04
Yeah, sometimes I can't spell. I got some brake off GB for $3.50 on clearance, has triangle shaped ports top and sides, I've never used it.