PDA

View Full Version : Light, Lighter and Lightest.

PA PATRIOT
07-21-12, 00:00
I have done a search but didn't really find what I was looking for.

First I have a old safe queen that has not been fired in years which is a old pre-ban Colt A-2 20" H-Bar. Since we have been running shorter lighter AR's the old "Heavy" H-Bar just didn't fill any of are shooting needs so she just collected dust until recently when it was decided to give the old girl a make over.

Now I want to use the existing striped lower, upper and BCG but everything else can be substituted. I figure a nice super light weigh 16" would be perfect as a 2nd back up AR for the wife who is a experienced A-2 shooter.

So far I am considering a PSA 16" CMV 5.56 Nato, Mid-Length, Pencil profile, Chrome-lined, MP, Premium Barrel adding a fixed A-2 front sight with a MOE Stock and forearm.

My hope is to breath some new life into a old work horse so any suggestions/comments on ultra light weight build parts would be appreciated.

mkmckinley
07-21-12, 00:59
Sounds like you're going to have a lot of parts from the donor rifle left over. Just a thought but you may be better off selling the whole HBar and starting from scratch. Are there laws where you live that make you want to hang on to the lower? In any case I think a 16" lightweight carbine is a great all around weapon so you're on the right track there.

rob_s
07-21-12, 03:00
Your .625" barrels are all pretty much going to weigh the same but IIRC the Daniel Defense has the slight edge. I also believe that the new Midwest Industries tube style handguards are the lightest. Aimpoint H-1 on a Daniel Defense mount. CAR/Fiberite stock.

I have a couple of charts on my website that has weights of barrels and hand guards.

Split66
07-21-12, 12:22
I think you are on the right track, if it were me I would go with a modular forend with a low pro gas block, but your "makeover" should work well.

I'm inclined to wonder why you didnt sell the HBAR as is too, they are still commanding a good price ($750 - $900) seems like the going rate on PAFOA and the like. Not my gun though....to each his own. Good luck with your project......

PA PATRIOT
07-21-12, 14:37
Your .625" barrels are all pretty much going to weigh the same but IIRC the Daniel Defense has the slight edge. I also believe that the new Midwest Industries tube style handguards are the lightest. Aimpoint H-1 on a Daniel Defense mount. CAR/Fiberite stock.

I have a couple of charts on my website that has weights of barrels and hand guards.

Thanks I will check your site out.

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of parts from the donor rifle left over. Just a thought but you may be better off selling the whole HBar and starting from scratch. Are there laws where you live that make you want to hang on to the lower? In any case I think a 16" lightweight carbine is a great all around weapon so you're on the right track there.

We hit the training circuit and shoot three gun events on a ever increasing schedule every year and want to keep two pre-ban rifles in the stable just in case we travel to a adjoining AWB state for a shoot.

I think you are on the right track, if it were me I would go with a modular forend with a low pro gas block, but your "makeover" should work well.....

Thanks for the input as we are open to all good suggestions.