PDA

View Full Version : I want to defend myself against future acts of violence

Space Ghost
07-21-12, 02:49
I've always been into firearms ever since I was a little kid, but I grew in a family that enjoyed playing on the computer or messing around with their new Ipad, so going hunting for deer or going to the shooting range was never something my family was involved in. I have been in college now for almost 3 years and have never fired a single gun.

Over those past years I've seen a few news storys about someone getting murdered or shootings in a mall and it's always made me frustrated with myself about not owning a firearm and defending myself from all the freaks out there.

I know most of you have probably heard about the recent attack at a theater in Colorado, well that pushed to the edge and this year if not month I plan On getting my CCW permit and saving up to buy a handgun. My problem is I'm new to guns and have new real clue where to start looking for the right handgun for me. If you have any suggestions as to which Firearms I should look into it would REALLY be appreciated!

If it helps, I'm 5'10 190 lbs.

Thanks for reading guys.

Seagunner
07-21-12, 04:37
I've always been into firearms ever since I was a little kid, but I grew in a family that enjoyed playing on the computer or messing around with their new Ipad, so going hunting for deer or going to the shooting range was never something my family was involved in. I have been in college now for almost 3 years and have never fired a single gun.

Over those past years I've seen a few news storys about someone getting murdered or shootings in a mall and it's always made me frustrated with myself about not owning a firearm and defending myself from all the freaks out there.

I know most of you have probably heard about the recent attack at a theater in Colorado, well that pushed to the edge and this year if not month I plan On getting my CCW permit and saving up to buy a handgun. My problem is I'm new to guns and have new real clue where to start looking for the right handgun for me. If you have any suggestions as to which Firearms I should look into it would REALLY be appreciated!

Thanks for reading guys.

Easy Son. Great you are interested in defending yourself...but no need to rush into anything. There is so much to read, and insight to learn from on this forum. Do a little searching and research. There is usually a local range that will let you shoot different firearms and get familiar with handling and safety. Not sure how your height and weight helps. Don't want you to think I'm trying to be condescending, just letting you know that purchasing a firearm shouldn't be an emotional decision

Packeagle
07-21-12, 05:48
I agree with the above. You should try to find a "NRA Basic Pistol" course or similar, it is designed for the beginning shooter with little to no experience. Taking the time now to gain knowledge will save you both money and headache in the long run. Buying a gun is a big purchase ($500+). Would you buy a brand new computer with out knowing its specs and what that means for you, the user?

vaglocker
07-21-12, 07:15
I'll save you some research. Get a Glock 19 and take a class. Seriously.

Straight Shooter
07-21-12, 07:27
I beseech you, please find yourself a gun man, a true shooter, a sage.
A GURU, if you will. Ive had TWO in my life, and learn, have learned so much from them its incredible. Ive got 40+ years of shooting and loving firearms and I listen to these men religiously.
Stay THE HELL AWAY from computer commando's and gamers and
"sideways shooters".
Military service in and of itself is no sure sign a person is gun savy...but it helps, especially a combat vet. Maybe ask your local police firearms instructor for help, or advice on where and who to go see.
BE CAREFUL. I know of NO subject on earth more full of shit and BS than firearms. Get competent training, practice a lot, and be ever vigilant.

Mr Elbowseed
07-21-12, 08:04
I would recommend taking hunter safety even if you don't have intrests in hunting it will teach you basic gun safety. You already made a good choice by coming to this forum.

Hmac
07-21-12, 08:14
For someone with no experience with handguns, I definitely recommend the NRA basic pistol course (or similar) as a starting point. You need to first understand how a pistol works (revolver vs semi-auto), and the various types and sizes of semi-autos (compact vs standard, striker vs hammer, single action vs SA/DA, safety/no safety, sight picture etc. Once you have that info and make connection with a knowledgeable instructor, you are better positioned to pick a handgun that's right for you and your needs. THEN, you can get a simple holster and take a CCW course, which will teach you the very basics of defensive handgun carry and use, which will help you get a handgun permit and allow you to pick a carry holster/method with more accuracy, THEN you can take one or more increasing levels of defensive handgun shooting (draw, accuracy drills, scenario drills, shooting from cover etc).

7.62WildBill
07-21-12, 10:46
I will echo the above posts and recommend more research and planning before getting into CCW. But if you want something for a home defense type role, think about a pump-action 12 gauge. The 12 gauge is widely considered to be the most effective tool for this job. Even after you have taken your time and carefully selected a handgun and received training, you still may prefer the shotgun when something goes"bump" in the night.

TehLlama
07-21-12, 12:07
In your context, a handgun is going to be the most versatile defense tool to start working on right away - it can be stored closest to you in the home, and after some classes you can evaluate if it makes sense to start carrying it with you everywhere.
Long guns will be a great addition down the road, but for now, the NRA Basic Pistol is the place to start looking, and acquiring an affordable reliable pistol (G19 is certainly not a bad suggestion - something of similar price and quality will also do) and mostly the purchasing of magazines and ammunition to get good at shooting that platform before you start dividing resources between multiple weapon systems.

shootist~
07-21-12, 12:31
Your basic Ruger Mk III .22 is not a bad place to start either. Learn the basics and develop accuracy skills cheaply and without putting recoil into the picture.

Learn safety first and foremost and make it a religion.

Many gun clubs (private ranges) will have a good beginners course and often provide the pistols and ammo as part of the fee. Some concealed carry instructors will provide the basics as well, but a club type "First Steps" class will be less expensive.

You probably know someone who is a serious shooter that could point you in the right directions as well.

Ironworker46
07-21-12, 12:59
But if you want something for a home defense type role, think about a pump-action 12 gauge. The 12 gauge is widely considered to be the most effective tool for this job. Even after you have taken your time and carefully selected a handgun and received training, you still may prefer the shotgun when something goes"bump" in the night.

How often is the distinct sound of a pump shotgun enough to scare an intruder off. There is no other sound like it. As a child I heard that sound once in the middle of the night, right before the dogs went nuts. We never found out who was in our house, but our dogs did their job. One came home pretty bloody and a bit sore. A good dog can be a extra line of defense, it can buy you a few seconds if someone is hell bent on really causing harm.

WillBrink
07-21-12, 13:12
How often is the distinct sound of a pump shotgun enough to scare an intruder off.

Ugh. You must be new here. :rolleyes:

Space Ghost
07-21-12, 15:36
Wow. I didn't expect so many replys! Thanks you guys. I will definitely take a course before I carry. Theres Actually a gun club not to far from me, I will talk to them and see if they have any courses I can take.

Thanks again for all the replys. If there is anything else you guys think I should know, please do tell.

'ppreciate it,

SG

oldtexan
07-21-12, 17:00

Thanks for reading guys.

Your interest in taking responsibility for your security and that of your loved ones is admirable.

I have a recommendation for you and it's not about which pistol to buy.

My recommendation to you is approach this subject by first finding out how criminals operate, how they pick out victims, what deters them, and how to avoid them, deter and fight them, and worry about hardware choices in good time.

I own and carry firearms, but they are the last resort for me. If I can avoid a criminal assault, or deter a criminal, that's much better IMO than having to fight him.

As far as I know, the best guy to seek out for understanding how criminals operate and how to deal with them across the whole spectrum of avoid/deter/defeat is Craig Douglas. You'll also see him referred to as Southnarc. His company name is Shivworks. Google those names and you should find him. Particularly of use to you at this point would be the first four hours of his two-day Practical Unarmed Combat (PUC) course. This four hour bloc deals with something called Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC), which is all about understanding criminals and enabling you to deal safely verbally and non-verbally with the strangers you encounter in your daily life.

Starting with the software, so to speak, of security training will help you make better, less wasteful hardware choices further down the road. I just wish I had done it that way myself years ago.

Just to let you know, I'm not affiliated with Craig or his company. I've taken his MUC bloc and can say that it was clearly the best and most useful defensive training I've ever taken from anyone. I've taken a half dozen classes (handgun, Force on Force) from several nationally known instructors and I rate Craig's class the best.

tb-av
07-21-12, 17:24
If there is anything else you guys think I should know, please do tell.

Yep, ... don't believe everything you hear. Just listen to lots of people. Eventually you should see a pattern forming. Don't say.."well so and so said..."

If someone tells you something and you want the whole story on it,,, just run it by these guys.

and finally buy a good gun. Buy a known good, will serve you reliably for ages gun. It might cost a bit more but worth it.

Don't buy those cheap ass soft holsters.
-People end up shooting themselves with those.

Don't carry a handgun on you without a holster.
-People end up shooting themselves without one.

If your life is worth $300 buy good stuff because at the end of the day, that's about all it takes to go from ok funky stuff to good stuff.

Oh and almost all guns feel strange at first but you will get over that. What you probably won't get over is if operating the trigger is too long or mis-fitting to your hand.

Watch these videos......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc5OG0AI64&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcxgAEn7zU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDFA9EtFc4&feature=plcp

Space Ghost
07-21-12, 18:41
Your interest in taking responsibility for your security and that of your loved ones is admirable.

I have a recommendation for you and it's not about which pistol to buy.

My recommendation to you is approach this subject by first finding out how criminals operate, how they pick out victims, what deters them, and how to avoid them, deter and fight them, and worry about hardware choices in good time.

I own and carry firearms, but they are the last resort for me. If I can avoid a criminal assault, or deter a criminal, that's much better IMO than having to fight him.

As far as I know, the best guy to seek out for understanding how criminals operate and how to deal with them across the whole spectrum of avoid/deter/defeat is Craig Douglas. You'll also see him referred to as Southnarc. His company name is Shivworks. Google those names and you should find him. Particularly of use to you at this point would be the first four hours of his two-day Practical Unarmed Combat (PUC) course. This four hour bloc deals with something called Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC), which is all about understanding criminals and enabling you to deal safely verbally and non-verbally with the strangers you encounter in your daily life.

Starting with the software, so to speak, of security training will help you make better, less wasteful hardware choices further down the road. I just wish I had done it that way myself years ago.

Just to let you know, I'm not affiliated with Craig or his company. I've taken his MUC bloc and can say that it was clearly the best and most useful defensive training I've ever taken from anyone. I've taken a half dozen classes (handgun, Force on Force) from several nationally known instructors and I rate Craig's class the best.

Thanks man, it means alot. I will definitely look up Graig Douglas.

Thanks so much for all your helpful information, It really does mean alot to me when I find complete strangers that are so willing to help me out.

Space Ghost
07-21-12, 18:44
Yep, ... don't believe everything you hear. Just listen to lots of people. Eventually you should see a pattern forming. Don't say.."well so and so said..."

If someone tells you something and you want the whole story on it,,, just run it by these guys.

and finally buy a good gun. Buy a known good, will serve you reliably for ages gun. It might cost a bit more but worth it.

Don't buy those cheap ass soft holsters.
-People end up shooting themselves with those.

Don't carry a handgun on you without a holster.
-People end up shooting themselves without one.

If your life is worth $300 buy good stuff because at the end of the day, that's about all it takes to go from ok funky stuff to good stuff.

Oh and almost all guns feel strange at first but you will get over that. What you probably won't get over is if operating the trigger is too long or mis-fitting to your hand.

Watch these videos......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTc5OG0AI64&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcxgAEn7zU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdDFA9EtFc4&feature=plcp

Thanks man. I appreciate the help! :smile:

Blayglock
07-21-12, 18:45
I agree with the guy who said get a Glock 19 and take a class.

lunchbox
07-21-12, 19:29
Glock and.....There a couple of classes in Alabama that I can personally vouch for: http://www.wayofthegun.us/ (B-ham area) Frank is the man, and makes (IMO) the best damn AR sling out there, and he's pretty good instructor too.
Arclight Group here in Auburn http://www.facebook.com/find-friends/browser/?ref=ler#!/pages/Arclight-Group/276569229020175 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arclight-Group/276569229020175#!/photo.php?fbid=284199544923810&set=a.284199471590484.84085.276569229020175&type=1&theater BIO All they have is facebook page but if you go up to "The Firing Pin" in AU and will answear any?'s, One of the group works there. And of course there is training(and IDPA which will come after training) at Central/East Alabama gun clubs.
Up towards Huntsville there is Shootrite but have no exp. with them. There is always instructors passing through as well.

lunchbox
07-21-12, 20:06
Just looked Arclight is holding a basic handgun class geared towards inexperienced shooters this Aug 18th. http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=384701294873634&set=a.277115618965536.82413.276569229020175&type=1&theater

Phillygunguy
07-21-12, 20:29
A lot of what's needed is already been said My advice is please, first and foremost Is safety. Understand owning a firearm is a huge responsibility and with this numb nut in Colorado comes all the anti gun rhetoric. There are too many people who think owning a gun and having a conceal carry license is the end right there. Only a fool would think as such. There are too many people who buy a gun without training and before you know it they have a Negligent discharge and someone gets hurt or killed. Then the media and anti gun shit heads have a field day So please get training and familiarize yourself before you carry. This is not to insinuate that your incompetent but driving the point home.

7.62WildBill
07-21-12, 21:31
I am not trying to discourage the OP from getting a pistol. However, learning how to operate a pistol requires more time and practice than doing the same with a shotgun. You could get a shotgun and learn the fundamentals of safe weapons handling, and get a pistol later. Learn to walk before you run.

This thread has Kyle Defoor's opinions on HD weapons:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1352617#post1352617

JB326
07-21-12, 21:38
Glock and.....There a couple of classes in Alabama that I can personally vouch for: http://www.wayofthegun.us/ (B-ham area) Frank is the man, and makes (IMO) the best damn AR sling out there, and he's pretty good instructor too.
Arclight Group here in Auburn http://www.facebook.com/find-friends/browser/?ref=ler#!/pages/Arclight-Group/276569229020175 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arclight-Group/276569229020175#!/photo.php?fbid=284199544923810&set=a.284199471590484.84085.276569229020175&type=1&theater BIO All they have is facebook page but if you go up to "The Firing Pin" in AU and will answear any?'s, One of the group works there. And of course there is training(and IDPA which will come after training) at Central/East Alabama gun clubs.
Up towards Huntsville there is Shootrite but have no exp. with them. There is always instructors passing through as well.

^^^ This. My utmost recommendation for training in AL would be Frank at Way of the Gun (I too am a huge fan of his slings as well). I'll also suggest Curt and the guys at Lighthorse Tactical, which does a fair amount of training at Hoover Tactical Firearms, if your in the B'ham area.

I sent you a PM also. There's a fair number of good instructors scattered across the Heart of Dixie.

Space Ghost
07-21-12, 21:53
^^^ This. My utmost recommendation for training in AL would be Frank at Way of the Gun (I too am a huge fan of his slings as well). I'll also suggest Curt and the guys at Lighthorse Tactical, which does a fair amount of training at Hoover Tactical Firearms, if your in the B'ham area.

I sent you a PM also. There's a fair number of good instructors scattered across the Heart of Dixie.

I sent you PM, JB326. I live in Tuscaloosa so it might be hard to take time to go to Auburn and do a course. I do have family in Opelika, so when ever I get time off from school I will definitely take a look down there.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts guys!

lunchbox
07-21-12, 22:31
I sent you PM, JB326. I live in Tuscaloosa so it might be hard to take time to go to Auburn and do a course. I do have family in Opelika, so when ever I get time off from school I will definitely take a look down there.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts guys!
Oh well, I forgot to mention War Damn Eagle!:D

Space Ghost
07-21-12, 23:18
Oh well, I forgot to mention War Damn Eagle!:D

Lol yeah, I saw that Auburn avatar! I actually have alot of close friends that go to Auburn. I'm a huge Bama fan but I don't have as much hate for Auburn as all the other Alabama fans do lol.

Roll Tide!

lunchbox
07-21-12, 23:25
Lol yeah, I saw that Auburn avatar! I actually have alot of close friends that go to Auburn. I'm a huge Bama fan but I don't have as much hate for Auburn as all the other Alabama fans do lol.

Roll Tide!
You can't be from AL and not live in a divided house..Keeps reunions intersting. Me personally go for both (AU1st, UA 2nd), that way I've always got some to root for in BCS bowl:D

Space Ghost
07-22-12, 01:02
You can't be from AL and not live in a divided house..Keeps reunions intersting. Me personally go for both (AU1st, UA 2nd), that way I've always got some to root for in BCS bowl:D

Lol, true that man.

Caduceus
07-22-12, 18:24
I agree with the guy who said get a Glock 19 and take a class.
FWIW, I don't agree. Nothing against Glocks, but I just hate how they fit my hand. The smaller ones are better (ie, Glock 26), but the full size ones just suck for me. I'd say go with one that feels comfortable to you.

Don't get sucked into a caliber debate - good ammo is better than the "perfect" caliber. Shot placement is better.

A .22 pistol isn't a bad thought. Typically run $2-300 for one.

lunchbox
07-22-12, 18:41
Agreed, pic a gun that fits hand fairly well and something that you think is good for you. I would stay away from 22 for first purchase if gun is for "Home Defence" use. As far as cal, 9mm vs 45acp, more bullets in the gun means the longer your in the fight. And NOTHING makes up for poor shot placment. You cannot miss fast enough to win a gunfight.

lunchbox
07-22-12, 18:45
Took me a sec to kind this vid on 9mm vs 45acp https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=105658&highlight=9mm+45acp

Wake27
07-22-12, 22:18
You'll get lots of answers for your questions here. I am just glad to see that your answer for the problem is education, training, and equipping, as opposed to banning left and right. Wish more people felt the same way.

Space Ghost
07-22-12, 23:49
I will definitely test some guns out before I choose which one is for me.

First I have to find a good basic pistol Course! My car is not working at the moment :rolleyes: but as soon as I get it going again I'm gonna start looking around. But I know now not to just buy a gun and get a carry licence. If theres anything I've learned from this thread its to research, listen, learn and train.

I know I've already said it a million times but I really do appreciate every bit of help & information you guys have given me.

Thanks,

SG