PDA

View Full Version : take down pin removal

cthompson36
07-21-12, 06:50
hey guys, I just built my first AR and I'm new to it. I'm wanting to replace my takedown pins for the easy removal ones, and I was wondering how to best remove them without stuff going flying. I went through 5 getting it together....

5pins
07-21-12, 11:20
Not to sound like an ass but why do you want to replace them?

Hmac
07-21-12, 11:35
The rear takedown pin just required removing buffer tube and end plate. You need a castle nut wrench. I recommend the Hammerhead tool and a good receiver block, especially if the castle nut is staked.

The front pivot pin is harder. You can make it easy with a $15 tool from Brownells, or a $.065 1/4 inch clevis pin from your hardware store.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/Desert_AIP/Pivot_Pin_Install_03.jpg

cthompson36
07-21-12, 14:30
I want to replace them with the easy take out ones because I am having a harder time taking it down than I should, and my friends AR has the easy takedown ones and its alot easier. Yeah I was pretty sure about the rear one, but that front way is genius. I guess I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow :)

ParanoidCivilian
07-21-12, 14:44
Sack up man. They'll loosen up after a while. Also add a drop of lube on the underside of the take down pins.

Nightvisionary
07-21-12, 14:59
hey guys, I just built my first AR and I'm new to it. I'm wanting to replace my takedown pins for the easy removal ones, and I was wondering how to best remove them without stuff going flying. I went through 5 getting it together....

The standard pins are already easily moveable unless the upper, lower, or takedown pins are out of spec. What brand is your upper and lower receivers? Lube them up and they should get better over a short time. What did you go through "5" of in getting your AR together?

Kodiak
07-21-12, 15:14
The rear takedown pin just required removing buffer tube and end plate. You need a castle nut wrench. I recommend the Hammerhead tool and a good receiver block, especially if the castle nut is staked.

The front pivot pin is harder. You can make it easy with a $15 tool from Brownells, or a $.065 1/4 inch clevis pin from your hardware store.

Thanks for the info, I've never had to take mine out, but if I do, now I know how!

cthompson36
07-22-12, 19:52
It's hard because I don't have great finger movement, not because the guns messed up. I'll see if I can do it tomorrow

mkmckinley
07-22-12, 20:04
Just keep the standard ones and get them started with a bullet tip/leatherman/stick/pen/coin/knuckle/rock/cleaning rod section/knife/fork/spoon/corner of a table/hardbound book/ or extremely stale pizza crusr. They're easier to slide once you get them going.

Quentin
07-22-12, 23:54
I also think you should keep the original pins. Go out and put 500 rounds down range and they'll loosen up.

lunchbox
07-22-12, 23:58
hey guys, I just built my first AR and I'm new to it. I'm wanting to replace my takedown pins for the easy removal ones, and I was wondering how to best remove them without stuff going flying. I went through 5 getting it together....What is the name of this lower, RRA by chance? Are the pins not wanting to slide in and out?

HKBanger
07-23-12, 10:24
As mentioned, the take down pins are going to loosen up considerably over time. I'd just apply some lube to the pins and that also makes it easier.

Hmac
07-23-12, 12:19
While waiting for the pins to smooth out, I've seen guys use a brass punch, or nylon-tipped punch, or maybe one of these things to apply some enhanced mechanical advantage.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/811647/dpms-ar-15-takedown-pin-punch-delrin

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/primary/811/811647.jpg

matemike
07-23-12, 12:30

What kind of lower is that? .22lr or 9mm? The magwell does look small.

Where is the trigger mechanism and why does the mag release look like a solid part?

BTW, I use dental picks to hold the detent back and slide the pin out.

NoveskeFan
07-23-12, 12:33
Ive used a paper clip through the small hole in the pin to push the detent down and remove the pin. hold your hand over the hole while pulling the pin out.

GTifosi
07-23-12, 13:22
Rapping the end of of a pin using a noogie knuckle will generally knock a tight or sticky pin out enough for takedown.
Not a method for sissies or girls though.

When taking the pivot pin apart, work with everything inside a box so if something does fly it'll get caught there instead of shooting off into orbit somewhere.

Using pin, punch, paperclip, etc. in takedown pin hole to depress detent, rotate pivot pin 90 degrees to hold detent back and slip pivot pin out of receiver.

Reassemble using specific tool or clevis pin by lining up hole in tool with detent hole in receiver, drop in spring and detent, compress spring by pressing detent with same impliment used to initially take pivot pin apart, turn install tool 90 degrees to hold detent back, push pivot pin through so that the end of it stays tight and square to the end of the install tool and push the tool out. Align detent slot in pivot pin with detent if its not already and after it clicks in, test function.