PDA

View Full Version : Storm Lake drop in barrels

ruchik
07-21-12, 14:13
I was browsing around for different barrel options for my M&P 9, and ran across the Storm Lake drop in barrels. Two questions about these: 1) Are they really "drop in", or do they still require fitting, and 2) Do they make any sort of difference?

SeriousStudent
07-21-12, 15:06
Try this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104659

Hmac
07-21-12, 15:08
I don't know about drop-in Storm Lake barrels, but UPS just yesterday delivered the slide and a Storm Lake barrel for my M&P 9L from Grant. I bought it from him and he hand-fitted it for $200. Prior to that, the best I could do with that pistol from 25 yards was about 5-6 inch groups from a sandbag. I just now got back from shooting it and saw a significant improvement, again 25 yards from a sandbag. On the target below, I started in the lower left-hand corner and worked counterclockwise to the one in the upper left hand corner. I felt confident enough in that last one to go ahead with 20 rounds. I'm pleased with the results. No malfunctions of any kind. I can shoot my Glock 19 out of the box with just about the same results, but with the M&P I didn't have to clear any hot brass out of my shirt pocket.

http://SSEquine.net/9mmtarget.jpg

ruchik
07-21-12, 15:56
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I am well aware of Grant's barrel fitment service. I'm wondering if the drop in barrels are the same as the ones he offers, or he is taking a special run of oversize barrels and fitting them.

Up1911fan
07-21-12, 19:38
Sorry, I should have mentioned. I am well aware of Grant's barrel fitment service. I'm wondering if the drop in barrels are the same as the ones he offers, or he is taking a special run of oversize barrels and fitting them.

There's a long thread on here answering all your questions...the short answer is Grant has oversize barrels and fit's them to your slide.

dc202
07-21-12, 20:50
There's a long thread on here answering all your questions...the short answer is Grant has oversize barrels and fit's them to your slide.

I am on his wait list. Hopefully I will hear from him soon so that I can send in my slide.

ruchik
07-22-12, 01:39

Again, I am aware that Grant is offering a barrel fitment service. What I want to know is if the drop-in barrels offered by Storm Lake are different. Do they offer anything close to the accuracy achieved by Grant's service?

C4IGrant
07-22-12, 09:16
I don't know about drop-in Storm Lake barrels, but UPS just yesterday delivered the slide and a Storm Lake barrel for my M&P 9L from Grant. I bought it from him and he hand-fitted it for $200. Prior to that, the best I could do with that pistol from 25 yards was about 5-6 inch groups from a sandbag. I just now got back from shooting it and saw a significant improvement, again 25 yards from a sandbag. On the target below, I started in the lower left-hand corner and worked counterclockwise to the one in the upper left hand corner. I felt confident enough in that last one to go ahead with 20 rounds. I'm pleased with the results. No malfunctions of any kind. I can shoot my Glock 19 out of the box with just about the same results, but with the M&P I didn't have to clear any hot brass out of my shirt pocket.

Cool! Isn't it nice to have your M&P shoot good groups? :D

C4

C4IGrant
07-22-12, 09:18

No, they are not and to be honest, the drop in barrels won't make much difference from my experience.

We put in a special order with SL for oversized barrels and will be the ONLY dealer with them.

C4

Hmac
07-22-12, 10:04
Cool! Isn't it nice to have your M&P shoot good groups? :D

C4

Well, it's nice to have a gun that I can be confident is accurate. I pretty much only shoot that gun in courses...never carry it. I used it last August in a Louis Awerbuck course and didn't really notice any particular issues with accuracy, but I will confess that after I tested it from 25 yards and found it wanting, then having the accuracy issue fixed, I have a lot more confidence in it and can focus on fixing the shooter issues rather than worrying about the hardware. I have another course with Louis coming up in about 10 days. That will be a good practical test. I hope to get several hundred more rounds through it before then.

runifucan
07-22-12, 14:18
The storm lake barrels are held to tighter tolerances but they aren't oversize. I bought one and it is undersize on the breachface width. Factory cut in slide is .401, factory barrel is .400. The Stormlake barrel is .397 and undersize for my slide on the breachface. The twistrate in the dropin should help with more consistent poi across bullet wieght imo.
Stormlake is resolving my issue with the drop in to my satisfaction, just taking awhile to make it happen.