PDA

View Full Version : All the testosterone removed from my body

WillBrink
07-21-12, 14:29
AKA, mistakes in doing projects with your woman. :fie:

I'm having solar panels added to my roof. Shade report shows one tree needs to be removed. Not a huge tree, oak tree maybe 40ft and 12" at the base.

However, due to location it can't just be cut down, so I wanted limb it down as much as possible, then cut it.

I ask GF to assist. I tell her she just needs to hand me stuff when I need it, keep ladder steady when coming down, drag things away, etc.

I put on my best tree climbing clothes, limbing/pruner saw secure so I have both hands free, m4 secured (kidding) and start to climb tree.

Then it starts...

"honey, don't fall."

"I wont"

"Honey, sure that branch will support your weight?"

"Yes"

"Honey, why not just call a tree guy?"

"Cause I can do this fine, now can I climb this tree and concentrate? And don't stand right below be looking up."

"Why?"

"Because if branches, tools, or myself falls out of tree, who do you think it will fall on?"

"Oh"

She moves far enough away. I go back to climbing. Half way up or so I cut a branch that's in my way to continue (one limbs a tree from the top down for obvious reasons) and the branch falls as expected. I hear a scream.

Oh shit, she didn't stay where I told her to and I have killed her I think. I look down and she's standing were I left her, tree branch no where near her.

"Why the fu&^ *^3 &% did you scream?!"

"It scared me, sorry"

"One does not scream unless something bad has happened!!!"

Now I'm getting pissed and distracted, not conducive to tree work at all. I continue on...two thirds of the way up, almost time to start really cutting this stupid thing.

"Will?"

"What???!!!!"

"How come you don't have a harness on? I mean, if you fall from that height I can't catch you* and then what?"

"Are bleep ^$& !)&^ &@#%!!! kidding me? I'm almost at the top this tree and you want to debate safety equipment? That's it, I'm coming down. You have officially hexed this damn project which should have been half done by now, with your talking and %^*_)# questions and stupid %$(@$^^ comments."

"What did I do? Fine, I don't want you up in that tree anyway, call a tree guy"

And she storms off. Check mate. Hook, line, sinker, she makes sure it didn't happen and I didn't even figure it out for at least an hour 'till I cooled off. :thank_you2:

* = as God/Allah/Shiva is my witness, she said it.

GeorgiaBoy
07-21-12, 14:33
Well, she obviously cares about you. ;)

Mauser KAR98K
07-21-12, 14:51
Remember this line once you are in a good spot to do things yourself.

"Hey, Babe."

"Yes?"

"Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure!"

"Can you go inside and fix me something good to eat. I am going to be hungry when this is over."

It generally works for me.:moil:

PA PATRIOT
07-21-12, 15:04
Most wifes are chicken littles when it comes to their children and most times their "Man" (If they really love him or they don't want to have to go to work because he croaked" so I would not be too hard on her.

Honu
07-21-12, 15:18
When I was a medic got a call for someone bleeding really bad ?
Get out their the guys forearm is totally laid open looking like he was having some kind of surgery
He is swearing up a storm at us his wife etc...
We get him in the rig and can say it was the one time the floor of the rig was slippery there was so much blood

We ask what happened he was trying to replace the front window of his home !
He said some guy wanted $250 to change it out and he got the glass for $45 and was doing it himself
The other medic laughed and said well now that window is going to cost you a lot more
$275 for our ride who knows how much for the emergency room the $45 you wasted breaking your new glass and the $250 to have the guy come out do it correctly and the fact your wife now has ammo anytime she needs it to have you hire out projects :)

It was funny when we were in the rig and the guy had no comeback !

Dont let her see this story and dont ever give her ammo against future projects :)

Armati
07-21-12, 15:22
Read this, seriously, no kidding:

http://nomarriage.flippertv.com/No%20Marriage.pdf

Sensei
07-21-12, 15:48
She may of saved your life as you know it. Everyday, I see people who attempted similar "projects" with disasterous results. Will, as good as you think you are, gravity and bad luck are that much better.

I'm glad you're safe and able to type your post - it sure as hell beats blinking for food for the rest of your life.

WillBrink
07-21-12, 15:52

I'm not married and not stupid enough to do it twice. BTDT. :cool:

montanadave
07-21-12, 15:57

Yeah, that seemed pretty objective and unbiased. The author probably wrote it with the support of NOW. :lol:

GTifosi
07-21-12, 16:31
Then it starts...

"honey, don't fall."

To which the correct response should have been: 'Sweetie, why don't you just sit down, shut up, and look pretty?'

Regardless of her - or + reaction/response, the remainder of the several follow on annoyances would all but be gaurenteed not to have occured at all ;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-21-12, 16:34
Tell her that

Tree guy = less money for shoes

montanadave
07-21-12, 16:42
Tell her that

Tree guy = less money for shoes

The essence of good communication. Utilization of terminology and concepts which translate across the cultural and gender divide.

That, and bribery.

theblackknight
07-21-12, 16:58
She may of saved your life as you know it. Everyday, I see people who attempted similar "projects" with disasterous results. Will, as good as you think you are, gravity and bad luck are that much better.

I'm glad you're safe and able to type your post - it sure as hell beats blinking for food for the rest of your life.

Wow. I think I just guessed your gender.

SteyrAUG
07-21-12, 17:04
This is why my wife is not allowed outdoors when I'm doing that kind of work.

Belmont31R
07-21-12, 17:14
My pet peeve is trying to watch something together, and she has to talk the entire time. "Can we watch this or do you want to sit here and talk?"

Sensei
07-21-12, 18:06
Wow. I think I just guessed your gender.

Exactly. I'm a pussy because I don't climb up 40ft trees with chainsaws to save a couple hundred bucks. Let's see, I also don't do other silly shit like clean gutters that are 40ft in the air, repair my roof with a steep grade, or **** around with industrial current.

Why? Because I'm not an trained arborist, construction worker, or electrician. I assume that Will is also not an arborist based on the content of his post. But hey, feel free to engage in high-risk chores for which you have no formal training. I make a living off guys like you.

tb-av
07-21-12, 18:07
"How come you don't have a harness on? I mean, if you fall from that height I can't catch you* and then what?"

She must have seen that guy last week that caught the little girl that fell out the apartment window.

Hell consider yourself lucky... my wife used to tell me to go play in traffic. :(

Cagemonkey
07-21-12, 18:36
As a Tree Guy, I got a chuckle out of your story. Its not rocket science, but even us professionals get hurt, I got the scars to prove it. I think as far as vocations go, tree work is near the top as far as danger goes next to commercial fishermen and roofers. Every month in the Tree Care Industry magazine they show a calender with deaths and injuries marked off by date. Its always good for a sardonic laugh. Glad all turned out well.

JohnnyC
07-21-12, 22:48
I do all of that stuff myself. I also happen to work at heights very damn day of the week. It doesn't take much to ruin your day.

I would recommend you call a tree guy.

lifebreath
07-21-12, 23:43
I'm having solar panels added to my roof. Shade report shows one tree needs to be removed. Not a huge tree, oak tree maybe 40ft and 12" at the base.

First mistake: solar panels - they never pay for themselves ...

I ask GF to assist. I tell her she just needs to hand me stuff when I need it, keep ladder steady when coming down, drag things away, etc.

2nd mistake: trying to collaborate with a woman, especially on maintenance matters ...

I put on my best tree climbing clothes, limbing/pruner saw secure so I have both hands free, m4 secured (kidding) and start to climb tree.

3rd mistake: WTF are "best tree climbing clothes??? Trying to impress said woman.

Then it starts...

"honey, don't fall."

"I wont"

"Honey, sure that branch will support your weight?"

"Yes"

"Honey, why not just call a tree guy?"

"Cause I can do this fine, now can I climb this tree and concentrate? And don't stand right below be looking up."

"Why?"

"Because if branches, tools, or myself falls out of tree, who do you think it will fall on?"

"Oh"

4th mistake: engaging said woman in seemingly rational discourse ...

She moves far enough away. I go back to climbing. Half way up or so I cut a branch that's in my way to continue (one limbs a tree from the top down for obvious reasons) and the branch falls as expected. I hear a scream.

Oh shit, she didn't stay where I told her to and I have killed her I think. I look down and she's standing were I left her, tree branch no where near her.

"Why the fu&^ *^3 &% did you scream?!"

"It scared me, sorry"

"One does not scream unless something bad has happened!!!"

Now I'm getting pissed and distracted, not conducive to tree work at all. I continue on...two thirds of the way up, almost time to start really cutting this stupid thing.

5th mistake: Not recognizing the emotional need of said woman for simple reassurance and listening ear, instead, assuming that rationality would prevail.

"Will?"

"What???!!!!"

"Are bleep ^$& !)&^ &@#%!!! kidding me? I'm almost at the top this tree and you want to debate safety equipment? That's it, I'm coming down. You have officially hexed this damn project which should have been half done by now, with your talking and %^*_)# questions and stupid %$(@$^^ comments."

"What did I do? Fine, I don't want you up in that tree anyway, call a tree guy"

And she storms off. Check mate. Hook, line, sinker, she makes sure it didn't happen and I didn't even figure it out for at least an hour 'till I cooled off. :thank_you2:

Yep, u r f*cked.

Just marry the woman already! Then, all will be bliss. Take it from a veteran .... ;-) Bliss, baby, PURE bliss!

4 lovely childrens, many moons and my one and only later, I speak with authority ... One thing ... despite bodily degradation, the "intimacy" really does get better with time ...

lifebreath
07-21-12, 23:52
Deleted.

SteyrAUG
07-22-12, 00:05
Exactly. I'm a pussy because I don't climb up 40ft trees with chainsaws to save a couple hundred bucks. Let's see, I also don't do other silly shit like clean gutters that are 40ft in the air, repair my roof with a steep grade, or **** around with industrial current.

Why? Because I'm not an trained arborist, construction worker, or electrician. I assume that Will is also not an arborist based on the content of his post. But hey, feel free to engage in high-risk chores for which you have no formal training. I make a living off guys like you.

While I won't criticize anyone for not doing it, I do a lot of stuff like that. I have no "training" but I've dropped a few trees that were twice at tall as my house. I even managed to do it without dropping any big limbs on my house.

Some things I will call a professional, but if I can look at a job and figure it out I don't mind a little hard work. The main reason is I don't have money to burn and sometimes I do it or it just isn't going to get done. I also enjoy the self reliance aspect of learning how to do it yourself.

I generally know what I'm capable of and what my limitations are. And I also know what things require my complete and undivided attention, and I think that is what the OP was getting at.

Sensei
07-22-12, 00:55
While I won't criticize anyone for not doing it, I do a lot of stuff like that...I generally know what I'm capable of and what my limitations are.

Look carefully at this thread and you will see that my post was in response to someone who did exactly that - questioned my male credentials for acknowledging good judgement.

Funny you mention limitations. Now, tell me how someone has a good grasp on their limitations going into a dangerous activity without any formal training? I never met anyone who, before their project, thought that they were operating outside of their limitations. Of course, that was before they became a complete quad, lost some fingers, put a chainsaw thru their leg, or roasted themselves with industrial current (all of which I've seen this Summer). But hey, who am I to argue - this shit pays my bills.

Waylander
07-22-12, 03:05
Gentlemen, no need to question anyone's manhood or grasp of their capabilities. My Dad and I cut our own firewood until I was 12 or so (he sawed) since he said we couldn't afford a Propane tank. He had a small accident one day when his chain saw slipped and cut a small gash in his leg. He had one small accident in all those years. He is still afraid to this day I'll cut myself with my chainsaw so every time I'm using it, all I can hear distracting in my head is him saying "don't cut your leg off!" I always ask him if he's made me safer or more dangerous to myself. :lol:

I would seriously think about a harness though. Short falls can really **** you up. A family friend fell from a 10ft tree stand and almost didn't make it. You obviously do want somebody close by in case an accident does happen.

I can say at least your GF seems to want you to be safer unlike my wife who once tried to convince me to change her oil using only the spare jack. I made up some shit about a guy getting crushed doing exactly that just so I could postpone it long enough to buy a hydraulic jack and jack stands to be safe.

Seriously, that's literally the hardest I've laughed in a while. Thanks dude!

tb-av
07-22-12, 07:51
I would seriously think about a harness though. Short falls can really **** you up. A family friend fell from a 10ft tree stand and almost didn't make it. You obviously do want somebody close by in case an accident does happen.

Yep, I do many of those type things myself as well. No formal training but my father was in the construction business and I learned by association to some degree. One thing he did teach me though is be safe. If you need someone to "hold a ladder" it's not safe... it might be safer but not safe and tree limbs can really fool you.

WillBrink
07-22-12, 09:37
Exactly. I'm a pussy because I don't climb up 40ft trees with chainsaws to save a couple hundred bucks.

I take it you have not had trees removed? Or, tree guys in your area costs a lot less than tree guys in my area.

Let's see, I also don't do other silly shit like clean gutters that are 40ft in the air, repair my roof with a steep grade, or **** around with industrial current.

But I do, have done roofing work, construction, painting, minor electrical (worked as an electricians assistant as a kid), minor plumbing, etc, etc, and know my limitations fairly well and know when to call a pro in and when I can (likely, as nothing is 100% assured in this life) do the job. Ergo, a large tree, I wont mess with.

Tree climbing to limb the tree is a high risk activity, that's true. Tree work some of the most dangerous jobs you can do. I was up on an aluminum ladder the other day in massive storm, thunder and lightening all around me, which sucked. But, gutters had clogged, and water was coming into the house, so risks were taken (and i was none to happy about it I tell you) that I felt, were worth taking. Yup, could have been crispy critter on that one.

But, nothing you're saying is wrong per se, but there's calculated risks, necessary risks, and unnecessary risks. You and she put the tree thing in the latter category I put it in the former, but currently moot as still can't find my nards... :blink:

WillBrink
07-22-12, 09:42
Gentlemen, no need to question anyone's manhood or grasp of their capabilities. My Dad and I cut our own firewood until I was 12 or so (he sawed) since he said we couldn't afford a Propane tank. He had a small accident one day when his chain saw slipped and cut a small gash in his leg. He had one small accident in all those years. He is still afraid to this day I'll cut myself with my chainsaw so every time I'm using it, all I can hear distracting in my head is him saying "don't cut your leg off!" I always ask him if he's made me safer or more dangerous to myself. :lol:

I can say at least your GF seems to want you to be safer unlike my wife who once tried to convince me to change her oil using only the spare jack. I made up some shit about a guy getting crushed doing exactly that just so I could postpone it long enough to buy a hydraulic jack and jack stands to be safe.

Seriously, that's literally the hardest I've laughed in a while. Thanks dude!

Easy for you to laugh, you still have your nards in place. Still looking for mine.

Chainsaws, I truly dislike them. I avoid them when ever possible, and only use if I have to, and view as necessary evils. They are like motor cycles, use them long enough and it's not an "if" but "when" the accident happens, just a matter for how bad.:(

VooDoo6Actual
07-22-12, 09:55
Easy for you to laugh, you still have your nards in place. Still looking for mine.

Freud was right about MOST Women as well.

SteyrAUG
07-22-12, 12:08
Look carefully at this thread and you will see that my post was in response to someone who did exactly that - questioned my male credentials for acknowledging good judgement.

And the purpose of my comment was to point out that I am not doing the same.

Funny you mention limitations. Now, tell me how someone has a good grasp on their limitations going into a dangerous activity without any formal training? I never met anyone who, before their project, thought that they were operating outside of their limitations. Of course, that was before they became a complete quad, lost some fingers, put a chainsaw thru their leg, or roasted themselves with industrial current (all of which I've seen this Summer). But hey, who am I to argue - this shit pays my bills.

To put it in "sensei" terms, "only by expanding my experiences may I expand my abilities." While I have no training when it comes to dropping trees, I'm generally intelligent enough to figure out how to do it and I'm cautious and methodical enough to do it in a generally safe manner. And now, I have experience and know how to do it and my limitations have been lessened in this area.

Safetyhit
07-22-12, 12:48
As a one time tree surgeon back in my 20's, I can assure you that it is extremely difficult work loaded with risk even if done properly. But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with doing so one's self if you have some clue what you're doing, don't go over 15 ft up and follow basic precautions.

Over 15 feet and you and your saw should be secured, as there are numerous things that can quickly unseat you at any height.

Sensei
07-22-12, 14:52
BTW, all of my posts are directed at people who climb up trees and roofs greater than 20ft.

Is it not curious that people are touting their handyman credentials and self-awarness by citing the 1/2 dozen large trees that they've scaled and felled, or the roofs that they've repaired? Does this sound familiar? Would they say the same thing about going to the range 5 or 6 times before adopting a CCW lifestyle?

Funny how most of us tell new forum members to spend their money on ammo for training classes after they buy their first AR or handgun. It is intuitavely obvious to us that guns are inherently dangerous tools in the hands of untrained practitioners. On the other hand, we are quick to minimize the risks of other seemingly mundane activities that are actually very dangerous for the untrained. We are all guilty of it to some extent - we let our finances, curiosity, and ego influence our judgement and write checks that our bodies can't cash. I've become more aware of these risks due to the nature of my job and adjusted my risk tolerances accordingly.

Well, here is some departing wisdom for my amatur tree climbing and roof repair colleagues: the fact that you've not YET been injured is not a testimate to you abilities or self-awareness. You are not Batman. Keep it up and the law of probabilities will catch-up with you. Prepare yourself for the price.

Now, time to head to work on my motorcycle... ;)

Honu
07-22-12, 15:34
thread last week on a 4x4 forum I am on where a guy got a chainsaw to his leg ! lucky was not to bad but accidents happen he just said yup going to get some chaps and my fault for getting lazy

I will still do what I can when I can cause I like to do those things ? its a way for me to feel good work outside be self reliant more so
now again trimming my palms ? I might do again but the ants were nasty :)

fact is getting in a car is more dangerous than the things I do around the house and I still get in the car all the time to go do silly things like get milk heck I get in the car just to go for a drive to some places to see things

when I was 14 or so I used to top these huge fir trees on my parents property up in the NW they had and my dad was fine with that my mom was in fear but I would just hear the MARY he is OK and my dad smile and wink

when my kid wants to do that stuff I will let him and hope I dont have to take him in to a ER but I think the tradeoff is worth it in some ways to take risks and accomplish things

SteyrAUG
07-22-12, 15:34
BTW, all of my posts are directed at people who climb up trees and roofs greater than 20ft.

Is it not curious that people are touting their handyman credentials and self-awarness by citing the 1/2 dozen large trees that they've scaled and felled, or the roofs that they've repaired? Does this sound familiar? Would they say the same thing about going to the range 5 or 6 times before adopting a CCW lifestyle?

Funny how most of us tell new forum members to spend their money on ammo for training classes after they buy their first AR or handgun. It is intuitavely obvious to us that guns are inherently dangerous tools in the hands of untrained practitioners. On the other hand, we are quick to minimize the risks of other seemingly mundane activities that are actually very dangerous for the untrained. We are all guilty of it to some extent - we let our finances, curiosity, and ego influence our judgement and write checks that our bodies can't cash. I've become more aware of these risks due to the nature of my job and adjusted my risk tolerances accordingly.

Well, here is some departing wisdom for my amatur tree climbing and roof repair colleagues: the fact that you've not YET been injured is not a testimate to you abilities or self-awareness. You are not Batman. Keep it up and the law of probabilities will catch-up with you. Prepare yourself for the price.

I don't think you can make a direct comparison between defensive shooting and dropping a tree.

If I screw up in a tree I get myself killed or injured, I don't kill a bunch of people all around me.

More important, being 20 feet or higher in a tree with a running chainsaw doesn't even begin to approach the potential dangers associated with a defensive shooting situation. The tree and saw are not a thinking, planning individual who is trying to kill you.

I think the average adult who has the skills to construct a dog house has the ability to safely climb a tree and run a saw. The difference between a person who does it repeatedly without incident and the person who suffers serious injury or death is mostly one of appropriate precautions taken and the ability to do the job in a thoughtful way.

As a for example, there were a few times I realized that the original position I had selected to cut a given limb was not suitable and it would be too precarious to attempt something like reaching out and cutting without both hands securely on the chainsaw. Some people would have just "gone for it." Knowing my limitations I stopped the saw and hung it on the rope, untied myself and found a new location then retied myself to the trunk, brought up the saw on the rope, restarted the chainsaw and then cut the limb from the more favorable position. It was a hassle but I knew it wasn't nearly as involved as falling out of a tree with a running chainsaw.

SteyrAUG
07-22-12, 15:37
fact is getting in a car is more dangerous than the things I do around the house and I still get in the car all the time to go do silly things like get milk heck I get in the car just to go for a drive to some places to see things

No kidding. I feel a hell of a lot safer in a tree with a saw than I do on I-95. I've had more mindless ****s going 85mph while talking on a cell phone start drifting into my line than I care to talk about.

WillBrink
07-22-12, 16:56

Word... :dirol:

Honu
07-22-12, 17:09
the other thing is to invite your buds over when the wifey is out and just have her return and say see its done ;)

that and have a fake bandage on your arm thats huge just for fun :)

Waylander
07-22-12, 20:59
I did say I was married, right? :lol:
Trust me dude, I'm laughing with you, not at you.

No shit about that! :lol:

GeorgiaBoy
07-22-12, 21:23
I don't think you can make a direct comparison between defensive shooting and dropping a tree.

Maybe not a direct comparison, but a valid comparison nonetheless.

If I screw up in a tree I get myself killed or injured, I don't kill a bunch of people all around me.

But that is one sided, and is assuming that their are others that can be injured or killed in a defensive shooting. Maybe there isn't. Maybe it's just you and the attacker. If you don't have the proper training and instruction, you are putting your life in much more jeopardy than if you did have the proper training.

More important, being 20 feet or higher in a tree with a running chainsaw doesn't even begin to approach the potential dangers associated with a defensive shooting situation. The tree and saw are not a thinking, planning individual who is trying to kill you.

But heights and a sharp saw are two things that are definitely capable of seriously injuring or killing you. The tree might not be able to think, but if you are 20 feet up and not secured you are vastly increasing in the possibility of things going wrong. Operating a saw at that height only increases that more. Point being: Sitting in a tree 20+ feet up with a chainsaw can be just as dangerous as being in a defensive shooting, though it may not always be. The only difference is it takes a wrong move by YOU to hurt yourself, in a defensive shooting it takes an action of the ATTACKER to hurt you.

I think the average adult who has the skills to construct a dog house has the ability to safely climb a tree and run a saw.

What? I don't even... :suicide:

Direct comparision = An expert mechanic who can fix almost any issue you have with your car, and probably could put one together easily, has the skills to run a Indy car race safely.

SteyrAUG
07-22-12, 21:34
Maybe not a direct comparison, but a valid comparison nonetheless.

But that is one sided, and is assuming that their are others that can be injured or killed in a defensive shooting. Maybe there isn't. Maybe it's just you and the attacker. If you don't have the proper training and instruction, you are putting your life in much more jeopardy than if you did have the proper training.

But heights and a sharp saw are two things that are definitely capable of seriously injuring or killing you. The tree might not be able to think, but if you are 20 feet up and not secured you are vastly increasing in the possibility of things going wrong. Operating a saw at that height only increases that more. Point being: Sitting in a tree 20+ feet up with a chainsaw can be just as dangerous as being in a defensive shooting, though it may not always be. The only difference is it takes a wrong move by YOU to hurt yourself, in a defensive shooting it takes an action of the ATTACKER to hurt you.

What? I don't even... :suicide:

Direct comparision = An expert mechanic who can fix almost any issue you have with your car, and probably could put one together easily, has the skills to run a Indy car race safely.

Ok, fine.

I accept your basic premise that I am somehow unique and have an extraordinary ability to drop tree's that mere mortals cannot hope to possess without extensive training. Furthermore I am obviously some kind of tree prodigy as I was able to divine this skill by myself.

Happy now?

GeorgiaBoy
07-22-12, 21:41
Happy now?

Wasn't looking for happiness, but sure, I guess I am.

Well there went an expanded debate oppurtunity completely wasted..

theblackknight
07-23-12, 01:46

Maybe its cause one of my childhood nicknames was "shingle boy" whenever my dad friends need help putting on a new roof, but 75% of the normal upkeep a reasonable property needs can be done safely without calling the "professionals". I worked construction for a while, let me tell you we got some sweet formal training on harness work,much of the same quality of firearms training that new cops get in the academy.

Let me guess, you work in a ER?I can tell its something like that,you look at everything with a probability of danger.As a kid, my moms good friend worked in a ER,and we couldnt pack the truck for a practice at the motocross track or bomb the soapbox derpy hill on skateboards without her and some worrisome snide comment about ending up a vegetable.She actually thought herself better then thou because she wouldnt let her kids do anything she deamed dangerous. Is this you?

Well you might have a house big enough to have the gutters 40 friggen feet high, but most dont.

JohnnyC
07-23-12, 02:03
The problem with the defensive shooting analogy is that we, us, collectively, shoot on a regular basis. We train with our firearms to minimize risk and maximize outcome in our favor. The problem with hauling your ass up a tree with a chainsaw is that most people here probably do neither on a regular basis, both climb, nor saw.

The problem comes not from the individual danger of climbing and sawing, but combined with the lack of familiarity with said combination, and has been admitted that it is even dangerous for the professionals, it's just not something you should do on a whim.

Scientifically speaking, when you climb a man-made structure you have several things in your favor. Engineers have specified construction type, materials, etc. One can know how much a steel beam can support based on tangible things. One can inspect welds for cracks, can x-ray for porosity, can judge the ability of a structure to perform based on these things. You can rate things, accurately even.

How do you rate a tree? The short answer is, you can't. The long answer is the same, just with more words and fancier explanations. You absolutely cannot state with any factual basis that limb X will support Y amount of weight. Another fun thing about trees is that they do not plasticize before they break. Steel will stretch when it's close to the breaking point. There are cases where this action has given people enough time to save their own lives. Wood, on the other hand, shatters. Sure it may bend before it breaks, but when it breaks, it does exactly that. Little warning, little possibility to extricate yourself from the situation. Sure we can base things on experience, scaffolding, ye olde shipyards, etc., but you have to remember that even then, there was no way of knowing exactly what those things were capable of holding. Shipyards had gantry structures collapse, scaffolding is only rated within certain limitations, and even then the support structure is metal.

Today I spent 6 hours in a $500 fall protection harness, with 2 $250 positioners, a $200 100% tie-off lanyard, and about another $500 worth of various other equipment for working at heights. Keeping yourself safe isn't cheap. Consider the cost of this stuff when complaining about the price of tree-trimming. Consider the reason that this type of equipment exists the next time you grab the Stihl and start climbing. Protip: It's not to make you package look big while wearing a harness. Your life is not worth saving the cash, especially if you don't know what you're doing. If you're not using the proper fall protection, you don't know what you're doing.

Sensei
07-23-12, 02:24
Maybe its cause one of my childhood nicknames was "shingle boy" whenever my dad friends need help putting on a new roof, but 75% of the normal upkeep a reasonable property needs can be done safely without calling the "professionals". I worked construction for a while, let me tell you we got some sweet formal training on harness work,much of the same quality of firearms training that new cops get in the academy.

Let me guess, you work in a ER?I can tell its something like that,you look at everything with a probability of danger.As a kid, my moms good friend worked in a ER,and we couldnt pack the truck for a practice at the motocross track or bomb the soapbox derpy hill on skateboards without her and some worrisome snide comment about ending up a vegetable.She actually thought herself better then thou because she wouldnt let her kids do anything she deamed dangerous. Is this you?

Well you might have a house big enough to have the gutters 40 friggen feet high, but most dont.

Yep, I've worked in an ED for a while. If your truck is a pick-up, I'd agree with your Mom's friend that packing the flat bed with children to go to the motocross track is stupid (so much so that it's illegal in NC). And yes, people who send little kids onto roofs to replace their shingles should probably be investigated by child protective services.

Outside of that, my kid is allowed to ride a bike or skateboard with a helmet, climb most trees without a chainsaw, go shooting with me without body armor, swim supervised in a lake or ocean, and engage in any contact sport that he enjoys with the proper equipment.

Sensei
07-23-12, 02:28
Your life is not worth saving the cash, especially if you don't know what you're doing. If you're not using the proper fall protection, you don't know what you're doing.

That is some wise shit.

Waylander
07-23-12, 07:53
Yep, I've worked in an ED for a while. If your truck is a pick-up, I'd agree with your Mom's friend that packing the flat bed with children to go to the motocross track is stupid (so much so that it's illegal in NC). And yes, people who send little kids onto roofs to replace their shingles should probably be investigated by child protective services.

Outside of that, my kid is allowed to ride a bike or skateboard with a helmet, climb most trees without a chainsaw, go shooting with me without body armor, swim supervised in a lake or ocean, and engage in any contact sport that he enjoys with the proper equipment.

Letting anyone, kid or not, ride in the truck bed is just idiotic. A friend of an ex GF of mine was with a group in a truck bed and died after a rollover on a city street and by all accounts the truck was traveling at 5-10 MPH.

There's a big difference in keeping oneself reasonably safe and doing something completely moronic and illegal in many areas.

montanadave
07-23-12, 08:19
Letting anyone, kid or not, ride in the truck bed is just idiotic. A friend of an ex GF of mine was with a group in a truck bed and died after a rollover on a city street and by all accounts the truck was traveling at 5-10 MPH.

There's a big difference in keeping oneself reasonably safe and doing something completely moronic and illegal in many areas.

If anyone needed another example: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/texas-truck-wreck/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

23 people in the pickup (speculation is they were illegals), 13 dead. Illegal or no, horrible accident.

Sensei
07-23-12, 09:10

Agreed.

VooDoo6Actual
07-23-12, 09:52
Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS

Word... :dirol:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/FishingWomen.jpg

Waylander
07-23-12, 10:04
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/FishingWomen.jpg

This is damn funny timing. I had just come up with my new slogan for ex GFs, ex wives, etc.

"She thinks she's the one that got away but I always thought of it as a catch and release situation. Except it was a gator I hooked and I'm lucky I walked away with all of my limbs." :D

VooDoo6Actual
07-23-12, 11:10
This is damn funny timing. I had just come up with my new slogan for ex GFs, ex wives, etc.

"She thinks she's the one that got away but I always thought of it as a catch and release situation. Except it was a gator I hooked and I'm lucky I walked away with all of my limbs." :D

While I realize some people are lucky & do get a truly awesome women & they do exist, unfortunately the statistical facts reveal a different picture. We (the US) lead the World in Divorce rate. That says Epic Fail to me.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_div_rat-people-divorce-rate

Cailifornia's & Nevada's Divorce rates are despicable. Approximates 7-8 out of 10 currently. 20% success rate does not say "geez, I'm all in" or "I'm all over that". Don't be deceived by recent data/stats on California as they have manipulated the data cleverly by disallowing/DQing certain criteria/reclassifying the categories etc. Divorce Attorney's I work for & know assure me it's still 70+%

There's an old joke in the circles I run in that goes like this & please it's just a joke. "Why get married ? Just find someone you hate & give them your house"

We also lead the the world in number of other alarming/concerning statistical facts. Clearly something is awry/askew. That is not relevant to this thread so I won't elaborate out of respect to "Thread/Topic Creep".

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/81194uw5g1c32fx.gif

theblackknight
07-23-12, 23:28

Funny how I picked up on that.

A flat bed? I guess technically we had a van with a trailer.

And no one sent me out on a roof, I wanted to help, and being 8-12 and throwing around some shingles ahead of my dad and uncles hammering them down wasnt anything dangerous .Maybe you have crazy church steeple sloped roofs up there, but where I grew up there were normal slant and gutters arnt more then 10-12 foot high.

If my parents didnt let me on to the roof, how was I sappose to jump off, and catch a bounce off the trampoline into the neighbors pool?:D

JohnnyC
07-24-12, 00:33
Funny how I picked up on that.

A flat bed? I guess technically we had a van with a trailer.

And no one sent me out on a roof, I wanted to help, and being 8-12 and throwing around some shingles ahead of my dad and uncles hammering them down wasnt anything dangerous .Maybe you have crazy church steeple sloped roofs up there, but where I grew up there were normal slant and gutters arnt more then 10-12 foot high.

If my parents didnt let me on to the roof, how was I sappose to jump off, and catch a bounce off the trampoline into the neighbors pool?:D

Even taking a digger off a 1-story can ruin your day if you're unlucky, but I agree, throwing shingles isn't nearly as risky. So shingle on shingle-boy, and shingle proudly!

I never had a trampoline, but I definitely did that into a pool.