PDA

View Full Version : SIG SAUER P226 VIDEO - Nothing but problems

ptmccain
07-21-12, 16:32
This is a shooting demonstration of the Sig Sauer P226, and, unfortunately, also a look at the issues this pistol has been having. Fail to feeds, and front sight is off. I know the Sig P226 is a great pistol. My friend, who loaned me this pistol, and I, are trying to get to the bottom of why he keeps having problems with this P226

Here is the video. I welcome, no, covet, all comments and suggestions about what you think is going on. I bought my son this pistol for his 21st birthday and it has been nothing but a total PITA since then.

It malfunctions, frequently, with cheap bulk and more expensive ammo. It works great through several magazines, but then goes bat crap crazy with other magazines. I never have this problem with my Beretta or HK, not to mention my Glocks.

OK, here's the video:

http://youtu.be/KX3RzuMhnng

.45fmjoe
07-21-12, 17:10
This is indicative of the pistols being manufactured since Cohen took over - sacrificing quality and reliability in the name of profitability.

P.S. Get that pistol up into your workspace when clearing malfunctions! Never take your eyes off the threat. ;)

Rowland_P
07-21-12, 17:50
I watched it three times and saw one stovepipe - apparently with low quality WWB ammo. I did see you try and drop the slide without success, reseat the magazine, then drop it as it should. With regard to the sights, you are aware Sig are regulated so that you cover the poi with the front dot?

I was hoping for a better demonstration of all these problems.

Alaskapopo
07-21-12, 19:42
This is a shooting demonstration of the Sig Sauer P226, and, unfortunately, also a look at the issues this pistol has been having. Fail to feeds, and front sight is off. I know the Sig P226 is a great pistol. My friend, who loaned me this pistol, and I, are trying to get to the bottom of why he keeps having problems with this P226

Here is the video. I welcome, no, covet, all comments and suggestions about what you think is going on. I bought my son this pistol for his 21st birthday and it has been nothing but a total PITA since then.

It malfunctions, frequently, with cheap bulk and more expensive ammo. It works great through several magazines, but then goes bat crap crazy with other magazines. I never have this problem with my Beretta or HK, not to mention my Glocks.

OK, here's the video:

http://youtu.be/KX3RzuMhnng

Yet another example of Sigs failing quality control that some refuse to admit is happening.
Pat

og556
07-21-12, 22:30
Have you tried to isolate which mags it works well with and which it does not with yet ?

One thing I'll say about Sig is that they will try to help you with issues. They will pay for shipping both ways when you have problems and they generally have really fast turn around times for repairs. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

ptmccain
07-21-12, 22:50
Thanks, that is reassuring, appreciate it.

ptmccain
07-21-12, 22:51
I was hoping for a better demonstration of all these problems.

Well...bummer for you. If you have something constructive to add to this conversation, please do.

ptmccain
07-21-12, 22:52
This is indicative of the pistols being manufactured since Cohen took over - sacrificing quality and reliability in the name of profitability.

P.S. Get that pistol up into your workspace when clearing malfunctions! Never take your eyes off the threat. ;)

Funny, the paper target bad guy never moved.

:dirol:

og556
07-21-12, 23:01
Just our of curiosity were these USA made magazines or Italian Mec Gar's ?

If they are Mec gar are they 18 or 15 rounders ?

Also how many rounds through this gun so far ? Have you tried a new recoil spring ?

The reason I ask is one of the P226's I bought a few years ago had a recoil spring that was shorter than the replacement springs brand new.

SkiDevil
07-22-12, 01:55
How many magazines do you have for the pistol?

In the video it sounded like you stated there was one magazine.

If that is the case as someone else mentioned, I would purchase a couple of Meg-Car magazines or a German made factory equivalent.

Also, how much lubrication was placed on the pistol?

The majority of SIGs and Beretta's that I have seen having problems feeding/ operating were not adequately lubricated.

Suggestions:

1. Lubricate the pistol very well (I use grease on the rails and barrel hood and wet lubricant as well).

2. Purchase or borrow at least two or three different known quality magazines.

3. Replace recoil spring

4. Try a different brand of ammo (I shoot almost exclusively CCI Blazer Brass and aluminum cased ammo through my 226 9mms)

If that does not work as someone else said, send it back to SIG and let them trouble-shoot the problem.

As with many semi-auto firearms, often the case is that the malfunctions are caused by a defective magazine a large majority of the time.

Good Luck,
SkiDevil

Microalign
07-22-12, 01:55
Yet another example of Sigs failing quality control that some refuse to admit is happening.
Pat

Yep. After our last batch of 2010 P229s consistantly stripped out grip screw frame threads, Sig sent us E2 grips for the stripped out guns, and torx screws for the P229s that hadn't been stripped out yet. For some reason Sig insisted that the problem was non armorers taking the grips off and over tightening the screws, but our 1990s P229s NEVER stripped out their threads. I guess the torx screws are supposed to prevent an officer from being temped to tighten the screws since only an armorer would have a torx wrench.:rolleyes: That's Sig customer service for ya. Absolutely abysmal for police agencies. We have ordered new Sigs three times since 2006, and each order seems to be worst than the one before it. Now days, we usually send back 1/4 to 1/3 of our new Sig orders within the first couple of months. From what I remeber, we only sent back a couple of 2004 P229s that we got off the DHS contract(we bought around 75 guns on that one).

ptmccain
07-22-12, 06:17
Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.

Rowland_P
07-22-12, 08:47
Well...bummer for you. If you have something constructive to add to this conversation, please do.

I was hoping your video was going to add something constructive, maybe demonstrate, your litany of complaints. Here's something constructive: tell your friend to send it to Sig if there's a problem. Giving to someone who admits he isn't familiar with the platform, who comes to a board that is unabashedly and openly hostile to the Sig brand, to diagnose his problems seems unwise.

loupav
07-22-12, 10:51
thanks for the video. I'm really glad to say that all my Sigs were made Before 2005, I'm never selling them.

Wolvee
07-22-12, 14:00
Sig replaced my check-mate mags for my TacOps twice. Finally, the guy just sent me 2 Mec-gar 20 rounders and I never had an issue. On the last set of checkmate mags I took them apart, cleaned & sanded inside & out and I never had an issue again.

The gun itself also had to go back to Sig for a bent trigger bar at under 1k rounds.

I bought 4 new sigs last year and 3 of them had to go back to Sig for repair.

I'll buy Sigs again after the current CEO is their Former. It's really too bad too, because I really want a Sig 1911.

Till then, I'll just buy Hk's. I've bought 4 Hk in the last 8 months, put 10k rounds through a P30L and I haven't had a single issue.

mrosamilia
07-22-12, 17:48
I fail to understand all the bashing of sig's CEO??? Sure he makes rainbow pistols... But they are also making I'm sure a shit pile of money which is what counts. I bet none of you ever buy GM or Chrysler vehicles either because obviously their CEO's where ****ing idiots as well (Bankruptcy) I am probably about to resign myself from this board due to uneducated childish rants on the manufacturer of many of our VIP's Seals- Secrect Service handguns!!! Guess they have no idea how to make a handgun I mean really I just din't get it!!

Someone somewhere denied a Sig franchise??? Really

Wolvee
07-22-12, 18:30
I fail to understand all the bashing of sig's CEO??? Sure he makes rainbow pistols... But they are also making I'm sure a shit pile of money which is what counts. I bet none of you ever buy GM or Chrysler vehicles either because obviously their CEO's where ****ing idiots as well (Bankruptcy) I am probably about to resign myself from this board due to uneducated childish rants on the manufacturer of many of our VIP's Seals- Secrect Service handguns!!! Guess they have no idea how to make a handgun I mean really I just din't get it!!

Someone somewhere denied a Sig franchise??? Really

So it's just a coincidence that Sig started to have reliability issues when he came on board. I could give two shits if they make rainbow pistols if that's what it takes to make money and keep them running. What matters to me is if the guns I do buy run. 3 of the 4 that I purchased last year did not. That's where my "hate" comes from.

ptmccain
07-22-12, 18:35
I'm just trying to get mine to run properly, I, for one, have no interest in bashing any CEO. If there are quality issues, let's blame the people making the pistols.

Wolvee
07-22-12, 18:40
I'm just trying to get mine to run properly, I, for one, have no interest in bashing any CEO. If there are quality issues, let's blame the people making the pistols.

So the ceo has no responsibility over the people? Wires crossed

ptmccain
07-22-12, 18:45
The workers are just mindless robots?

Do they have no pride in their work?

They just say, "Screw it, we are going to be idiots and not care about our work?"

Enlighten me on why the guys on the line are not to blame.

Typical blue collar/union mentality: blame the boss.

Wolvee
07-22-12, 18:52

They just say, "Screw it, we are going to be idiots and not care about our work?"

Let's not start throwing insults. I'm not blue collar nor a union guy. The boss is who says how many man hours are used to check QC or how often the machines are calibrated to ensure exacting specs. The person on the line may not have as much control as you think.

Timbonez
07-22-12, 18:54
You're thinking about it one sided. Employees can be dedicated and talented, but a drop in quality of materials used to make a product affect its performance as well.

ptmccain
07-22-12, 18:55
If you didn't want to talk about all the issues surounding QC, you should have brought it up.

S-1
07-22-12, 19:39
Yes, all SIGs are crap. We all know that Glocks and M&P's have never encountered QC issues (especially when everyone is pumping out record amounts of guns), never have parts breakage nor do they ever malfunction.:blink:

mrosamilia
07-22-12, 19:49
Yes, all SIGs are crap. We all know that Glocks and M&P's have never encountered QC issues (especially when everyone is pumping out record amounts of guns), never have parts breakage nor do they ever malfunction.:blink:

I agree the new Glocks that I have had were just the cat's ass!!! Not!!! My wife won't even shoot Gocks any more due to the brass to the face and down her shirt.

Long story my 2 cents worth and I'm done. It is always Sig Sig Sig. Seems fine to have to dump money into a Glock though nothing is said just fine and dandy. Does anyone here even know that most of Gocks upper MGT is in total chaos??

I forgot perfection!! I'm done sorry for childish rant, I'm older and should be above what I have said already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ptmccain
07-22-12, 19:49
I regret I allowed myself to get dragged into this off-topic conversation.

I'm just looking for help to get my buddy's SIG P226 running properly.

I wish you guys would not have derailed the topic with all this non-related crap.

How about you start up a new topic devoted to "Sig-Sauer Management Problems" and have at it?

OK?

I doubt you will, but hey, it was worth asking.

ptmccain
07-22-12, 19:51
My wife won't even shoot Gocks any more due to the brass to the face and down her shirt.

Tell her she doesn't have to show so much cleavage, it is dangerous enough at the range without this kind of distraction.
:lol:

Tommel
07-22-12, 20:07
Cohen screwed up Kimber and now he's screwing SIG... the sad thing is, the cutting of corners has made both companies more profitable then when they were putting out good products. :(

-Tom

Reagans Rascals
07-22-12, 20:09
just FYI.... SIG USA does not manufacture the P226 for NSW-(SEALs)..... that firearm is manufactured in Germany....

mrosamilia
07-22-12, 20:09
Tell her she doesn't have to show so much cleavage, it is dangerous enough at the range without this kind of distraction.
:lol:

The problem is the cleavage is worse than the Gen 4 Glocks LOL!!! Not enough to distract I'm out LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wolvee
07-22-12, 20:11

I only bought 2 Glocks last year, a G26 and a G20 and I already had an M&P.357sig. They all run great. Then I buy my first Sig @ $1200 and it doesn't function and then breaks. Imagine my displeasure after talking up Sigs for so long based on their track record. Then I have two more brand new Sigs fail on me. The fourth a cheap P250 ran fine but after the issues from the others I finally gave up.

I can accept the thought that the more guns that are made will obviously have more complaints. Especially, on the internet but when I spend $3500 in guns and $3k of them fail on me and have to go back, I'd say that's more than bad luck. That's straight Evil.

I'm the type of person who only likes the best. ...Or at least the best that I can afford. I was told for as long as I can remember the Sig was one of the best. I just wish my examples of their products showed me that type of value. I really loved my TacOps.

Could I just be the most unlucky customer in the world? Maybe, but that's the way it is.

Directly to the OP and his issue, send it back to Sig. Send it back as many times as it takes till you either get tired of it or you pay a good Gunsmith to figure out the problem.

jst0915
07-22-12, 20:13
I regret I allowed myself to get dragged into this off-topic conversation.

I'm just looking for help to get my buddy's SIG P226 running properly.

I wish you guys would not have derailed the topic with all this non-related crap.

How about you start up a new topic devoted to "Sig-Sauer Management Problems" and have at it?

OK?

I doubt you will, but hey, it was worth asking.

As was said earlier in this thread: Have your buddy send it to Sig and they will take care of it.

Now why don't you stop whining and go make a video or something.

ptmccain
07-22-12, 20:17
Wow, 5 posts and you are already proving yourself to be a Class A Jerk.

Congrats, and keep up the good work.

:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

jst0915
07-22-12, 20:21
It's not all about post count. I don't feel the need to post all that often, but the 200 threads you've made on this board so far to try to get hits on your youtube channel have gotten kind of annoying.

Thanks for increasing the signal to noise ratio on this site.

ptmccain
07-22-12, 20:26
It's not all about post count. I don't feel the need to post all that often, but the 200 threads you've made on this board so far to try to get hits on your youtube channel have gotten kind of annoying.

Thanks for increasing the signal to noise ratio on this site.

Here's a thought. Crawl back into your little hole and come out only when you have something thoughtful to contribute to a discussion.

Now, run along.

:cool:

jst0915
07-22-12, 20:29
You have the answer of what you should do to get your buddy's Sig fixed. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing left to contribute to this thread, so I'm going to bow out.

ptmccain
07-22-12, 20:50
Well, at least this topic has brought your contribution count up to 7 comments. Congrats.

S-1
07-22-12, 21:13
just FYI.... SIG USA does not manufacture the P226 for NSW-(SEALs)..... that firearm is manufactured in Germany....

Source? I've heard the opposite. Some frames may be made in Germany on previous buys, but many SIGs on the civy side are too.

ETA... Mk25's, NSW's latest order of P226's are made here in the US. So are their P239's and HK45CT's.

.45fmjoe
07-22-12, 21:35
Funny, the paper target bad guy never moved.

Train like you fight, Bo.

Microalign
07-22-12, 21:38
Buying a modern Sig that states "Made in Germany" is no more of an indication of good quality controls and materials than "Made in USA" is an indication of poor quality controls and materials.

Products made overseas are produced to either the manufacturer's specs, or the importer's specs. For instance, GMC's plant in Brazil produces and exports vehicle parts with different materials and quality standards depending on the demands of the customer. Sig Sauer USA may have their frames and a few other parts produced in Germany, but quality and materials are set by Sig Sauer USA depending on what they want to bring to the US market.

Reagans Rascals
07-22-12, 21:46
Source? I've heard the opposite. Some frames may be made in Germany on previous buys, but many SIGs on the civy side are too.

ETA... Mk25's, NSW's latest order of P226's are made here in the US. So are their P239's and HK45CT's.

the MK 25 made by SIG USA is not used by the SEALs... that is the bullshit clone version they sell to hsld civilians

that's like saying the Mk23 available on the market today is the same as used by SOCOM... its not... and there are distinct differences...

simply slapping on a UID label and claiming the internals are phosphated doesn't mean its the real deal...

S-1
07-22-12, 22:34
the MK 25 made by SIG USA is not used by the SEALs... that is the bullshit clone version they sell to hsld civilians

that's like saying the Mk23 available on the market today is the same as used by SOCOM... its not... and there are distinct differences...

simply slapping on a UID label and claiming the internals are phosphated doesn't mean its the real deal...

Again, what's your source? Do you work for SIG or NSW? If the Mk25 isn't being issued at NSW, then why are some SEALs complaining that the MK25, which has a 1913 rail instead of the standard P226R's rail, of not fitting into their holsters without the Surefire? The Mk25's coming from the factory DO have phosphated internals, just like NSW's guns. That's coming from the ones I have seen and from other owners of Mk25's.

Now, do the ones destined for NSW get a little more TLC? MAYBE. But EVERY contract is different and requires certain quality control, or certain amount of rounds fired with duty ammo etc etc. The Glock that you buy at the LGS is not the same G22 that CAG gets, or the one that I can get for that matter. The HK45CT's that NSW gets are a little "warmed over" in the trigger, but the ones at the store aren't. Same for the M&P's going to the ATF etc etc. Why do you think there's a civilian division and a .mil/le division at almost all big companies?

This is NSW's latest solicitation for Mk25's. And yes, they come from NH. https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=dbc78073ac1f77db0b3ca1cd80c6d163&tab=core&_cview=0

BTW... the Mk23 hasn't been in use for at least 3-4 years.

brickboy240
07-23-12, 11:09
As with many other gun makers...with SIGs...older is usually better.

I have three older P-Series SIGs that are 100% reliable shooters. A W. German 1977 made P220, a 1991 made W. German P228 and a 1982 made Swiss P225. All are boringly reliable shooters that I would NEVER sell.

It is a well known fact amongst those of us that shoot SIGs that you should stick to factory SIG mags. Sometimes the Mec Gar aftermarket mags work well (they also make the SIG factory mags....or did for a while) but with SIG P-series guns....stick to the factory mags if you want it to feed right. This is not unusual because Glocks are the same way. I know with 1911s....everyone runs for aftermarket mags but with Glocks and SIGs...factory mags rule.

I have also read in many places that the QC varies wildly on the newer P-series guns with the rails. Since the older SIGs are around in number and half the price of the newer ones...I have always bought the older guns.

Sorry you have had such problems...that is a lot of money to spend on a 9mm that does not work very well. A 450 dollar police trade P226 or P228 will run like the devil all day...every day. Trade that one for an older SIG and you will probably change your opinion of the P226.

- brickboy240

og556
07-23-12, 11:26
Brickboy,

I respect your experience with Sig pistols and your opinion.

I want to chime in and add that I have never once had any issues with Mec Gar magazines in a sig pistol. I do not own as many Sig pistols as you have but the ones I did I put a decent amount of ammo through using mec gar 15 rounders and 18 round magazines.

In terms of the factory mags I do have one concern. They appear to be made by check mate who make aftermarket magazines for the M9 series. From my limited exposure to these I have not seen good results in the M9.

Are your factory magazines marked "Made in Italy" or "Made in USA" ?

pat701
07-23-12, 11:32
I feel that the OP should pay his Friend for the damages he caused to his Friends P226. Bet he never lets him use another firearm.:(

brickboy240
07-23-12, 11:55
All the factory SIG mags I have say "Made in Italy" except for the ones in the Swiss made P 225. I am guessing that they are Mec Gars.

If you try Pro Mags or any other aftermarket mags in a P Series SIG...you are begging for trouble.

Check Mate now makes SIG's mags? Wow...another reason not to buy a newer SIG.

- brickboy240

S-1
07-23-12, 12:50
Here's what a "SME" (active SEAL) on another forum had to say about this subject.

My daily carry is a Sig of various flavors depending on the situation.

I have had 3 brand new 226's and 2 brand new 239's over the past 3 years and have not had any issues with any of them. Since round count seems to be the method of giving merit to reliability and longevity, I would estimate probably about 60k rounds. Figure about 50k through the 226's and 10k through the 239's.

When making assessments based off of internet information, seriously consider the source. If the source cannot be vetted and verified, then I generally discard it.

Edited to add:

I am currently in the process of buying a custom limited edition Mk25 226. There are some holster compatibility issues with the true 1913 Pic rail, but am also going with custom leather to match the custom gun. I have no doubt the gun I buy will be as ready for action as the Mk25 in my locker at work. Despite the claims on the internet of substandard this, that, and the other, my confidence in the reliability and longevity of Sig pistols remains high.

I recommend always confirming, and considering the "source" for information, especially internet information. Most gun sites have a huge noise to signal ratio, with countless self-appointed experts whose credibility is based off of post counts. If I don't know at least the perspective of the person sharing the information, then I won't take it at face value. For example, our own "DocGKR" is a well known personality, with a depth of knowledge not imitated or reproduced easily. He speaks on ballistics, people listen. However, I don't necessarily trust "Ballistic Bad Boy .600 Magnum" unless his information can be independently verified, and/or his background and credentials warrant accepting his information as legitimate.

Another example is an NFA board I frequent............I trust the words coming from guys who have 100+ piece collections of machineguns and other NFA items. I have a hard time buying any information about the legalities and process for NFA purchases, or "how to" put out by the guy who 4 posts before welcomes himself to the board saying he is getting ready to purchase his first NFA gun.

Always consider the source of info.

As for comparing Sig to Sig.......I can do that with my 226R's right now.

They are the same.

Same reliability.

Same longevity.

Are subject to the same harsh firing schedules.

Get cleaned just as often (never).

Still work.

Over the past 3 years, my personal gun has more collective rounds on it that the 3 NIB issued guns have combined. Personal gun is still going strong, with only a broken recoil spring so far. That was at about 26k round mark. Pretty sure they are supposed to be replaced every 5k or so.........

Just sayin..................

His statements mirror what every other guy in NSW says, that has talked to me regarding their weapons.

Does SIG put out lemons? Yes they do, especially since gun makers are pumping out record amounts of guns.. Do you have a higher chance of getting a lemon SIG than say a lemon Glock or M&P. Nope. Quite the opposite in my experience, actually. Many people just regurgitate what they read on the net, and it compounds from there. Or some cop in some podunk town will see one SIG that's malfunctioning, and has no idea why or how it's been taken care of/lubed, and then spreads the word that all new SIGs are crap. Oh the joys of the internets...

mrosamilia
07-23-12, 14:17
Here's what a "SME" (active SEAL) on another forum had to say about this subject.

His statements mirror what every other guy in NSW says, that has talked to me regarding their weapons.

Does SIG put out lemons? Yes they do, especially since gun makers are pumping out record amounts of guns.. Do you have a higher chance of getting a lemon SIG than say a lemon Glock or M&P. Nope. Quite the opposite in my experience, actually. Many people just regurgitate what they read on the net, and it compounds from there. Or some cop in some podunk town will see one SIG that's malfunctioning, and has no idea why or how it's been taken care of/lubed, and then spreads the word that all new SIGs are crap. Oh the joys of the internets...

I appreciate your work in posting this!!

Mike

Microalign
07-23-12, 14:36

It is interesting that he would quote Dr. Roberts:

"These days, skip new Sigs, although the older German made Sig 9 mm’s are superb..." -Gary Roberts

S-1
07-23-12, 14:52
It is interesting that he would quote Dr. Roberts:

"These days, skip new Sigs, although the older German made Sig 9 mm’s are superb..." -Gary Roberts

That's great. Mr. Roberts seems to prefer M&P's too, which have had a whole slew of well documented problems. I've witnessed more than a few myself...

rushca01
07-23-12, 15:09
That's great. Mr. Roberts seems to prefer M&P's too, which have had a whole slew of well documented problems. I've witnessed more than a few myself...

Doc may prefer the MP but he has stated he is focusing on Glock since leaving the 1911. The reason he stated he is sticking to Glock is because he has a slew of high cap mags that he can use while he is on the left coast.

Tzook
07-23-12, 15:41
Man, that's just not how a Sig should run at all..... They sure as hell have gone downhill.

Also, your buddy is pretty damn brave holding the camera in front of you like that!! ;)

ptmccain
07-23-12, 15:45
I assume you are kidding, but...to assuage safety Nazis....the camera is mounted on a tripod, and remotely controlled by the guy pulling the trigger on the pistol....no risk to any humans, just to paper targets and the bugs crawling around in the dirt kicked up by the bullets when they hit the backdrop.

:)

Striker
07-23-12, 17:36
It is interesting that he would quote Dr. Roberts

Why? They have different experiences with Sig pistols. That doesn't make one more or less of a value, just different. You can have respect for someone's knowledge and or experience without necessarily agreeing with everything they say or write.

Rattlehead
07-24-12, 04:15

Send it to Gray Guns and stop pulling your hair out.

I never have this problem with my....not to mention my Glocks.

Naturally.

http://youtu.be/X7D9eWt-iGk

Grand58742
07-25-12, 14:22
At the OP with the original problems...

I have a 226 myself that I have close to 1K rounds through. Mixed brass and steel, mainly FMJ, but some JHP and BJHP. I've only had one FT Feed in that time which I can positively attribute to the ammo being used (cheap bulk pack reloads that were slightly out of spec and I didn't recognize it until after firing that day). I've used factory mags and Mec-Gar aftermarket (18 rounders) which have performed flawlessly with the exception of the aforementioned FTF. Long story short, the round jammed up inside the magazine which prohibited the remainder of the rounds (7 IIRC) from feeding upwards. Not sure how it happened, but I've never been able to replicate it with factory loaded ammo.

As for the sights being off, the Sig Sauer website addresses this in their FAQs about 2/3 of the way down under "My Sig pistol isn't accurate." Quoted:

All SigSauer production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a "combat" sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bulls eye of the target. Using a six o'clock ("pumpkin on a post") or center mass ("half'n'half") sight picture will result in low impact. SigSauer, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx

Not sure how you are holding your sight picture, but potentially this is what they are referring too? I did notice the majority of your groups were mainly low.

I'm no pistol or Sig expert, but with the FTF in your video, appears the feed ramp could be slightly out of spec or burred which causes the malfs. I'd say have your friend contact Sig and let them know about it. Give your video as an example and see where that goes.

Again, I'm no expert, didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, just outside looking in at the problems and potential causes.

Alaskapopo
07-25-12, 15:27

Sigs have had more than their share of problems to the point I won't buy one anymore unless its an older model.
Pat

ptmccain
07-25-12, 21:18
At the OP with the original problems...

I have a 226 myself that I have close to 1K rounds through. Mixed brass and steel, mainly FMJ, but some JHP and BJHP. I've only had one FT Feed in that time which I can positively attribute to the ammo being used (cheap bulk pack reloads that were slightly out of spec and I didn't recognize it until after firing that day). I've used factory mags and Mec-Gar aftermarket (18 rounders) which have performed flawlessly with the exception of the aforementioned FTF. Long story short, the round jammed up inside the magazine which prohibited the remainder of the rounds (7 IIRC) from feeding upwards. Not sure how it happened, but I've never been able to replicate it with factory loaded ammo.

As for the sights being off, the Sig Sauer website addresses this in their FAQs about 2/3 of the way down under "My Sig pistol isn't accurate." Quoted:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx

Not sure how you are holding your sight picture, but potentially this is what they are referring too? I did notice the majority of your groups were mainly low.

I'm no pistol or Sig expert, but with the FTF in your video, appears the feed ramp could be slightly out of spec or burred which causes the malfs. I'd say have your friend contact Sig and let them know about it. Give your video as an example and see where that goes.

Again, I'm no expert, didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, just outside looking in at the problems and potential causes.

Thanks, that was very helpful.

Alaskapopo
07-25-12, 22:40

Generally Union stuff would come out better. Its the bosses who hire dirt cheap labor who get the problems in the finished product. Labor is like anything else you get what you pay for. If you hire an idiot for minimum wage to assemble your rifle don't be surprized if it has problems.
Pat

brickboy240
07-26-12, 11:12
I don't know about the greatness of union labor.

Hasn't the UAW pretty much killed the US big 3 automakers?

I know after 4 years with a US made non-union Toyota pickup....it will be a VERY long time before I buy a UAW made pickup ever again.

The build quality and reliability of union made cars in America ranges from so-so to downright awful in my past experiences.

...just sayin'

-brickboy240

jonbondave
07-27-12, 03:13
On the subject of union labor.... two words, Colt Python (even said so on the box!). Those were union made.... Any gun you buy that says made in germany is union made. And most of us agree that made in germany is a good thing.... whether it's sigs, HK's, Walther's etc.

brickboy240
07-27-12, 12:28
I never meant to say that union labor NEVER produces quality goods, but that because a good IS union made does not always mean it is the best quality.

Yes, many very nice Colts, Winchesters, Remingtons and S&Ws were made with union labor. I have several of them.

HOWEVER, I used the US car example because the US built Toyota, Nissans and Hondas are built by non union Americans and hold up better than the Fords, Chevys and Chryslers built by UAW members.

Well...at least that has been my experience.

-brickboy240

jonbondave
07-27-12, 14:34
I agree with the car thing. In the past I think unions made for proud, quality american produced products. some unions don't seem to be able to grasp the "don't bite the hand that feeds you" thing. like UAW and the boeing machinists union. I'm in a union, and I see the good and the bad. The good is, some employee's are prompted to work for their pensions and salaries because they can be quite lucrative, and the majority just feel entitled to them because it's nearly inpossible to get rid of them after they journey and they know it.

Grand58742
07-27-12, 15:35
Thanks, that was very helpful.

No problem.

Can you let us know the outcome? I'd like to know since I own almost the same model myself.

One question that I might have overlooked was total round count? Approx number of rounds? Curious if this was a from a factory problem or something that developed over time.

ptmccain
07-27-12, 15:37
Will post report.

The round count was...well, the pistol was brand new, no more than a couple hundred rounds through it.

It failed to operate properly, literally, out of the box.

davebee456
07-28-12, 10:50
I had two lemons from them as well...
P226 R '
and a P220 R
the 226 blew its extractor out within 20 rounds of Federal 124gr 9mm ammo...
the gun was a paperweight after that.
Sig customer service said to me " you should be happy this happened in the range and not in a self defense situation"

Littlelebowski
07-29-12, 20:06

He recommends the .45 M&Ps. Have you seen a lot of problems with .45 M&Ps?

mrosamilia
07-30-12, 19:59
He recommends the .45 M&Ps. Have you seen a lot of problems with .45 M&Ps?

I can't recall any other than mag related.