PDA

View Full Version : Which 6.8 would you choose for combat?

Newaza
01-24-08, 09:38
Assuming money was no object, which 6.8 AR would you guys choose? This would be purely for combat against humans. Forget about precision shooting and hunting animals.

03humpalot
01-24-08, 09:47
Something from Noveske. I own an upper in 5.56 from them and have no reservations whatsoever about shooting people in the face with it.

a 6.8 from them is on my short list.

Newaza
01-24-08, 09:51
Thanks for the reply. Noveske would be nice. I don't hunt, and I don't do precision shooting. My interest in the 6.8 is solely as a combat rifle. I'm leaning toward a Noveske or an LMT. I don't know if the piston design is worth it or not, but before I buy anything, I plan to wait and see what LMT comes out with in that regard.

Army Chief
01-24-08, 10:03
I would concede that there is definitely a place in the market for the piston-driven AR, but I don't feel that it naturally follows that we should somehow let that translate into a lack of confidence in the standard configuration. If anything, we've got a lot more evidence to support the contention that the original design happens to work extraordinarily well.

The 6.8mm cartidge adds a new variable to all of this, of course, but I would to take things one major breakthrough at a time -- as such, I too would opt for the Noveske.

Chief

Stephen_H
01-24-08, 10:08
For combat use I'd get the LWRC M6A2 (I have 3 in 6.8mm SPC actually 8", 10.5" and 14.5"). For precision I would also recommend the Noveske as my 16" middy is an absolute tack driver.

Stephen

Bad_Karma
01-24-08, 12:23
Assuming money was no object, which 6.8 AR would you guys choose? This would be purely for combat against humans. Forget about precision shooting and hunting animals.

Can I let you know tomorrow? My Noveske 6.8 SPC, 14.5 inch Afghan upper just arrived yesterday but the local range is only open on weekends. :D

I'm putting it on my Colt LE 6920 lower. Since I still have a crapload of mags and bullets my 5.56mm upper would still be my go to zombie gun, but the Noveske would be better for the living (I'm guessing). :D

Newaza
01-24-08, 15:02
Can I let you know tomorrow? My Noveske 6.8 SPC, 14.5 inch Afghan upper just arrived yesterday but the local range is only open on weekends. :D

I'm putting it on my Colt LE 6920 lower. Since I still have a crapload of mags and bullets my 5.56mm upper would still be my go to zombie gun, but the Noveske would be better for the living (I'm guessing). :D

Very nice. Let us know how it shoots. Which buffer are you using for it? H-buffer?

Bad_Karma
01-24-08, 17:32
Very nice. Let us know how it shoots. Which buffer are you using for it? H-buffer?

Actually the standard buffer that comes in the Colt 6920... Is that bad? I thought the upper was pretty much plug'n'play as long as you used the 6.8mm mags.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/BoulderTroll/68mm001.jpg

The Colt upper has:
KAC RIS
GG&G MAD BUIS

The new set up:
Hogue grip
Noveske 6.8mm, 14.5 inch upper w/ Smith Vorex flash hider
Troy front and rear BUIS
Aimpoint Micro T1 w/ LaRue tall mount
Blue Force Gear VCAS sling

Its still a work in progress. I hit the grip, stock and rail covers with OD Green Krylon. I plan on getting the Foliage Green Tango Down Battlegrip and OD green Magpul CTR stock.

Newaza
01-24-08, 18:16
Wow, that's very nice. :cool:

LIL-COMMANDO
01-24-08, 21:15

6.8 Evaluation Report Link (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=353523)

sgtlmj
01-24-08, 21:35

Combat against humans while forgetting precision shooting and hunting animals?!?

That's like saying you want to know how to drive a car, but don't want to hear about the engine or how to steer.

Stephen_H
01-25-08, 06:11
Combat against humans while forgetting precision shooting and hunting animals?!?

That's like saying you want to know how to drive a car, but don't want to hear about the engine or how to steer.

I disagree; I believe he's saying that he doesn't want to sacrifice reliability or durability for the sake of accuracy.

Stephen

sgtlmj
01-25-08, 08:20
I disagree; I believe he's saying that he doesn't want to sacrifice reliability or durability for the sake of accuracy.

Stephen

:confused: Not a very effective combat weapon if it isn't accurate. If he just wants it to shoot and not worry about accuracy, buy an AK.

Newaza
01-25-08, 09:24

Stephen

Exactly. Given the fact that just about any gunfight I will likely encounter in my lifetime will occur within 100 yards (probably within 10 yards ;) ), heck, I might as well just use an AK (I already have a few). It gets the job done. My main concern is absolute, utmost reliability, and a rifle that will feed anything. I'm on the verge of getting a AR in 6.8, because it's the closest thing to an AK in terms of firepower, but it obviously has much better ergonomics. I don't care about drilling sub-MOA groups. Also, I assume that just about any decent AR will provide me with enough accuracy to get the job done.