PDA

View Full Version : Grown man TERRIFIED of a fish...

Straight Shooter
07-22-12, 07:17
I live next to a 130 acre lake. It is stocked, and privately owned by our apt. complex.
We can fish anytime. A few days ago, while fishing early Sunday morning, I saw a guy, about 30-32, 6' tall or more. over 225lbs, about 50 yards from me. He had a fish reeled in to the bank, but was just kinda swishing him back and forth. As I walked past and spoke, he asked could I help him, I said sure, what can I do for ya?
"Will you get this fish off my line, I dont know how, and Im scared to death of that thing." It was a little bass...ABOUT 3/4 OF A POUND!!
This big fella was literally, scared to death of it!! I could not believe it.
So, I showed him how to "lip it", easily remove the hook, and how to gently toss him back. He said.."ok, Ill try to next time, but if you here me scream like a girl, come runnin."
Now, after the comedy of it all left me, I got to thinking...how many TENS OF MILLIONS of people cant even do basic, simple things for themselves if SHTF or something bad happens? This big old guy, who was very nice, cant EVEN take a hand sized fish off a hook.
I know people who get a bee or wasp in the car while driving, and HAVE caused major accidents just because it was "in the car".
I have never seen such totally helpless saps in my life as people in general today. Cant/wont defend themselves or their families.
Cant use the simplest tools. Cant do anything except run a cellphone/computer/game and eat out every meal.
Itll be a sad sight indeed in a long term SHTF scenario when the hoardes start getting hungry & desperate. Begging for food, water, shelter, protection, ect.
I can see myself saying NO an awful lot.

usmcvet
07-22-12, 11:30
What was he doing fishing and after catching one why did he try again?

BCmJUnKie
07-22-12, 12:07
I'm shocked that "drive a stickshift" is not among the top THREE!!

lunchbox
07-22-12, 12:15
You should be careful when helping other people with their fish:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcuYjDR2tSg

usmcvet
07-22-12, 12:36
I'm shocked that "drive a stickshift" is not among the top THREE!!

It probably used to be. I don't think I've driven a stick in fifteen years. Have not owned one for twenty.

Caduceus
07-22-12, 19:03
Heinleins' Lazarus long character:

Popular Mechanics' 25 Skills Every Man Should Know:

1. Patch a radiator hose
2. Protect your computer
3. Rescue a boater who has capsized
4. Frame a wall
5. Retouch digital photos
6. Back up a trailer
7. Build a campfire
8. Fix a dead outlet
9. Navigate with a map and compass
10. Use a torque wrench
11. Sharpen a knife
12. Perform CPR
13. Fillet a fish
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
15. Get a car unstuck
16. Back up data
17. Paint a room
18. Mix concrete
19. Clean a bolt-action rifle
20. Change oil and filter
21. Hook up an HDTV
22. Bleed brakes
23. Paddle a canoe
24. Fix a bike flat
25. Extend your wireless network
Crap, I can't do all of those. (4, 5, 8, 18, 20, 22, maybe 25)

Why do all these "every man should do" lists always revolve around mechanical tasks? What about the guy that can write a symphony, or do a heart bypass, or design the World Trade Center?

Spend years devoting yourself to certain professions, and other non-essential tasks go by the wayside. I worked hard to get where I am - I can pay people to do some of those tasks!

Anyway, rant over, back on topic. Guy is kind of a wuss if he's afraid, but maybe he never went fishing (not exactly a popular past time, in say, Arizona). I mean, I've never gone hunting, but if I got laughed out of the woods the first time I tried, I doubt I'd want to go back.

hatidua
07-23-12, 13:22

Sounds like all too many posts on gun forums about how grown men feel about snakes: "what gun for snakes?", "what ammo for snakes?", "what boots for snakes?!".

Straight Shooter
07-23-12, 14:27
"Re-Touch Digital Photo's"...."Extend my wireless network"...?!
Get the **** outta here with that shit! What MO' wrote this crap?
Anyway, for the record, I NEVER made fun of the dude at all, I was very helpful and explained things very gentlemanly like.
It WAS freakin funny, tho, the way he was just swishing the fish back and forth, I guess hoping it would magically get off the hook.
What a riot!
As far as "essential skills" nowadays... Id settle for people just showing up for work every day without getting on "disability".
FEW people today have ANY essential skills, MOST have none.

Zhurdan
07-23-12, 14:28
I live next to a 130 acre lake. It is stocked, and privately owned by our apt. complex.
We can fish anytime. A few days ago, while fishing early Sunday morning, I saw a guy, about 30-32, 6' tall or more. over 225lbs, about 50 yards from me. He had a fish reeled in to the bank, but was just kinda swishing him back and forth. As I walked past and spoke, he asked could I help him, I said sure, what can I do for ya?
"Will you get this fish off my line, I dont know how, and Im scared to death of that thing." It was a little bass...ABOUT 3/4 OF A POUND!!
So, I showed him how to "lip it", easily remove the hook, and how to gently toss him back. He said.."ok, Ill try to next time, but if you here me scream like a girl, come runnin."
Now, after the comedy of it all left me, I got to thinking...how many TENS OF MILLIONS of people cant even do basic, simple things for themselves if SHTF or something bad happens? This big old guy, who was very nice, cant EVEN take a hand sized fish off a hook.
I know people who get a bee or wasp in the car while driving, and HAVE caused major accidents just because it was "in the car".
I have never seen such totally helpless saps in my life as people in general today. Cant/wont defend themselves or their families.
Cant use the simplest tools. Cant do anything except run a cellphone/computer/game and eat out every meal.
Itll be a sad sight indeed in a long term SHTF scenario when the hoardes start getting hungry & desperate. Begging for food, water, shelter, protection, ect.

Wouldn't really be all that long term before they die off from starvation or get killed because they resorted to thievery on the wrong person.

BCmJUnKie
07-23-12, 14:48
"Re-Touch Digital Photo's"...."Extend my wireless network"...?!
Get the **** outta here with that shit! What MO' wrote this crap?Anyway, for the record, I NEVER made fun of the dude at all, I was very helpful and explained things very gentlemanly like.
It WAS freakin funny, tho, the way he was just swishing the fish back and forth, I guess hoping it would magically get off the hook.
What a riot!
As far as "essential skills" nowadays... Id settle for people just showing up for work every day without getting on "disability".FEW people today have ANY essential skills, MOST have none.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. To both.

How about "fixing a toilet or sink"

"Repairing a leaking roof" or "Replacing a few shingles"

"Changing a flat tire"

"Repairing a fence" after wind damage.

"Pouring a slab of concrete" or "Finishing"

Thats a few things I think that should be on there

My sisters "Winner" boyfriend lives with her....hasnt had a job for 8 MONTHS. Shit I would settle for him actually TRYING to get a goddamn job, he would rather sleep all day.

Caduceus
07-23-12, 20:30
I like some of these suggestions better! I can fix a toilet and change a flat. Heck, I can even wire up my aux lights on my truck (if you know me you'd realize this is a huge accomplishment. I'm terminally retarded in fixing stuff). Give me a book, a few beers, and about 4x more time than necessary for a task, and I'll usually be able to hash it out. Bring ear plugs for the kiddies.

To Straight Shooter, you're correct, you never did mention hasseling the guy. My apologies.

Endur
07-23-12, 20:39
Speaking of sticks, my truck is a stick.

If I can't do it myself, I will learn how and figure it out.

glocktogo
07-23-12, 20:58
I can rebuild an engine or a computer. I can rewire a car or a home theater system. I can change brakes, struts, wire a ceiling fan etc. Those do not make me a man, just skilled labor.

If you can grow a garden, butcher your own animals, catch fish & hunt, build a hasty shelter or a small building, lead others and help them survive, those are skills that make you a man among men.

BCmJUnKie
07-23-12, 21:15

EXACTLY.

When a new job needs to be done, you buy the tool for it.

Its almost nice when something falls apart or breaks, it gives you an excuse to buy a new tool.

chasetopher
07-23-12, 22:11
Everything mentioned above was just a part of growing up. I took these 'skills' to be common knowledge.

It took me till 1/2 way through college(the first degree) to realize that there really is a severe lack of ability across the population.

This view is not one based on a single demographic type whether it be economic or urban/rural setting(though primarily limited to the northeast portion of the country) as I've spent time working in various areas of employment from landscaping, construction, teaching, even finance. Though I readily admit that I have become a paper pusher, I am thoroughly in agreement that if one is lacking the knowledge/proper tool to do so, the proper response is to immediately acquire the knowledge to do said task. (15 hours replacing injectors in my diesel pickup over the last week comes to mind).

I have not met anyone in the last 5 years that holds a complete "practical" skill set.

QuackXP
07-23-12, 22:59
Heinleins' Lazarus long character:

Popular Mechanics' 25 Skills Every Man Should Know:

1. Patch a radiator hose
2. Protect your computer
3. Rescue a boater who has capsized
4. Frame a wall
5. Retouch digital photos
6. Back up a trailer
7. Build a campfire
8. Fix a dead outlet
9. Navigate with a map and compass
10. Use a torque wrench
11. Sharpen a knife
12. Perform CPR
13. Fillet a fish
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid
15. Get a car unstuck
16. Back up data
17. Paint a room
18. Mix concrete
19. Clean a bolt-action rifle
20. Change oil and filter
21. Hook up an HDTV
22. Bleed brakes
23. Paddle a canoe
24. Fix a bike flat
25. Extend your wireless network

4. I'm at a total loss.

1. If its more than wrap it with duct tape, then i'd have to get some instruction.

13. Never liked fish, so never really fished or learned to filet one properly. But i'm good in the kitchen so I doubt it would take much practice to at least cut a passable filet.

Id say i'm of average to above average for the rest of the skills. With the computer skills being the highest.

I own a stick shift, but would not buy another one now that I live near a decent size city and have to deal with stop-n-go traffic semi-regularly.

nineteenkilo
07-24-12, 09:41
I agree that many people are completely useless outside of their 'specialization'.

I have spent many years and a bunch of blood and sweat making sure that I have the skills necessary to at least passably do damn near anything. Some of them were passed to me by my father, some by mentors, some by those charitable enough to suffer me hanging around and watching.

Most of my current abilities were cultivated through trail-by-fire. I learned them by doing because I had to, then because I wanted to , and now because I can. Please take the time to help those around you - even if you don't know what you are doing. Chances are, the person you are helping does and they just need an extra hand. You get to learn something for nothing more that the effort of honest work.

I make sure my kids always help me out with stuff. Yesterday, I showed my oldest son how to find the leak in a fuel filter on the lawn mower. It took five minutes and it might make a difference on the side of the road one day.

Zhurdan
07-24-12, 10:04
While I see the point of learning as much as you can about as many things as you can, are some of you telling me that you don't have any irrational fears?

I hate spiders, always have. If I see it sitting there on the table, I'm fascinated by it and will often watch it for a few minutes before HULK SMASHING it into oblivion.

On the other hand, if I see a spider and it runs out of view prior to HULK SMASH... I've got the heeby jeebies for hours!

Why? No real clue. They just frighten me on some subconscious level once I no longer "have control" of the situation. As in, they are out of my direct view.

I'm probably a sissy for that, but to think that most people don't have something they fear is kinda betting short.

Arik
07-24-12, 10:23
While I see the point of learning as much as you can about as many things as you can, are some of you telling me that you don't have any irrational fears?

I hate spiders, always have. If I see it sitting there on the table, I'm fascinated by it and will often watch it for a few minutes before HULK SMASHING it into oblivion.

On the other hand, if I see a spider and it runs out of view prior to HULK SMASH... I've got the heeby jeebies for hours!

Why? No real clue. They just frighten me on some subconscious level once I no longer "have control" of the situation. As in, they are out of my direct view.

I'm probably a sissy for that, but to think that most people don't have something they fear is kinda betting short.

Im the same way. But i'll extend that most bugs. Not ants or ladybugs or flies but giant insects especially if they fly, and of course spiders ...get goose bumps just writing about it. Always had that phobia

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

nineteenkilo
07-24-12, 10:31
Mine is planes. I used to fly constantly and found it somewhat pleasant. Now, I am terrified of it for some reason. Last time I flew it took me a couple Xanax and a half a fifth of bourbon to board. I drank until we landed.

It's just planes. I can ride the choppers all day.

Go figure. I'm a wuss for this one.

TahoeLT
07-24-12, 13:15
If I have an irrational fear, I have yet to find out what it is. After 38 years I'm pretty sure I don't have any....but I'm keeping my fingers crossed :D

I think the "Popular Mechanics" list is crap, but it does beg the question: What are essential skills? Obviously PM's list is not "Skills to know if SHTF".

Seems like every day it's more likely the S will HTF sometime in my lifetime. Whether it's another oil crisis, a pandemic, a widespread terror attack, another "Black Monday" or what, I don't know. Given that, I like to keep my skillset broader than just what I need for work.

Reagans Rascals
07-24-12, 13:29
Mine is planes. I used to fly constantly and found it somewhat pleasant. Now, I am terrified of it for some reason. Last time I flew it took me a couple Xanax and a half a fifth of bourbon to board. I drank until we landed.

you are not afraid of planes, or flying, you are afraid of the feeling you'll get when do those activities.... its not the actual event... but the anticipation of your own reaction...

When I was getting my private, on my first solo cross country I encountered SEVERE turbulence... almost like a god damn microburst... which almost resulted in the loss of the aircraft on landing... luckily I was able to just get airborne again before I crashed... after that I was deathly afraid of turbulence... anytime I thought about it... I just pictured my heart rate skyrocketing, completely tensed up gripping the yoke for dear life, trying my best to fight the damn plane for control, literally just scared to death, adrenaline coursing through me and trembling and shaking and breathing hard.... so I stopped flying for a few months...

but then I realized... I wasn't afraid of the turbulence itself... I was giving myself anxiety because I was acutely focusing on my own bodily reactions.... I never once thought about the turbulence itself or the aircraft crashing... I always just relived those body alarm reactions.... that's when I learned that the old saying "we have nothing to fear but fear itself"... is 100% without a doubt true....

once you can assess what it is that you are really afraid of.... aka.. those tensed up, adrenaline, nail biting, shaking, body alarm reactions... you can then just circumvent them from happening because its all mental....

Its called PARADOXICAL INTENTION
- Fear brings about that which one is afraid of

when you focus on the fear, it makes that which you fear happen... on the inverse... if you simply acknowledge that fear, instead of fighting against it, and instead focus your energy on the task at hand, you'll find yourself surprisingly capable of anything....

when you ruminate on the negative... such as making yourself anxious and basically giving yourself a panic attack.... then no good came come of it.... on the other hand... if you take each one of those negative/paralyzing thoughts.... "oh my god I'm so scared, oh my god my heart rate is so fast, I'm so scared, I want off, **** I want off, oh my god this is so bad".... those kinds of thoughts... and you just do pay them any attention, you focus on other things, on what you will do when you get there, and just ruminate on the positive aspects... you'll be fine...

basically just cancel out any negative, irrational thoughts.... with rational, positive ones... it sounds hard... but its really not...

don't let yourself psych your own self out..... that's all it comes down to...

its kinda the same as the Garcia Effect.... which is basically where you happen to be eating something and something bad happens... both of which are not necessarily connected... so you associate that bad event with the food.. and that in turn forms a food aversion...where you just refuse to eat that certain food because you are afraid of that same bad thing happening (bubble guts, throwing up, that shakes, male pregnancy, and so on and so forth)...

the mind is quite the gifted terrorist when it wants to be....

yellowfin
07-25-12, 13:23

This sounds EXACTLY like my in-laws. I'm really scared of the future ahead having them get into something that I won't have the time or finances to get them out of. They're the least independent minded people I've ever known and sadly my wife is doing little to demand them to improve. :(

Redmanfms
07-25-12, 17:43
1. If its more than wrap it with duct tape, then i'd have to get some instruction.

No.

You'll need a patch, a section of innertube will work, a hose clamp, and a jug of antifreeze (or water if that's all you've got). Place patch over hole, wrap clamp, tighten, refill reservoir.

tdb59
07-25-12, 20:57
....... maybe he never went fishing (not exactly a popular past time, in say, Arizona). ....

Hey !

I was born in Phoenix, and by the time I was 6, had been fishing at 2 spots near Greer, Upper, Middle, and Lower Lake Pleasant, Big Lake, Lake Mary, and Rooseveldt Lake.
That was a hundred years ago, tho.

Maybe the guy was working on overcoming his fear, or inexperience.

Caduceus
07-26-12, 06:24
Hey !

I was born in Phoenix, and by the time I was 6, had been fishing at 2 spots near Greer, Upper, Middle, and Lower Lake Pleasant, Big Lake, Lake Mary, and Rooseveldt Lake.
That was a hundred years ago, tho.

Maybe the guy was working on overcoming his fear, or inexperience.

OK, so there's some standing water in AZ - I'm guessing either by the CO river or northern AZ? All I know is Phoenix and Tuscon are dry. Then again, California has been stealing water for years, so maybe everyplace is dry now?

M4Mike
07-26-12, 08:16
I can rebuild an engine or a computer. I can rewire a car or a home theater system. I can change brakes, struts, wire a ceiling fan etc. Those do not make me a man, just skilled labor.

If you can grow a garden, butcher your own animals, catch fish & hunt, build a hasty shelter or a small building, lead others and help them survive, those are skills that make you a man among men.

That is my mindset exactly, but I would add teaching children these skills to the list, because most kids now think meat comes from walmart.

currahee
07-26-12, 08:28
Crap, I can't do all of those. (4, 5, 8, 18, 20, 22, maybe 25)

Why do all these "every man should do" lists always revolve around mechanical tasks? What about the guy that can write a symphony, or do a heart bypass, or design the World Trade Center?

Spend years devoting yourself to certain professions, and other non-essential tasks go by the wayside. I worked hard to get where I am - I can pay people to do some of those tasks!

Some of those things I can not do- but MOST of them are things you either need to do instantly(perform CPR), you might get stuck somewhere and not be able to get a specialist (ex fix a radiator) or they are done so frequently that paying someone to do them is silly (touch up a photo).

It wouldn't be the exact list I came up with, but it is pretty good.

nineteenkilo
07-26-12, 16:07
Its called PARADOXICAL INTENTION
- Fear brings about that which one is afraid of

I really appreciate the time you took to write that response. It is immeasurably helpful and gives me something to look into besides the bottom of the bottle.

Reagans Rascals
07-26-12, 16:14
I really appreciate the time you took to write that response. It is immeasurably helpful and gives me something to look into besides the bottom of the bottle.

no prob... helped me big time with my fear of turbulence... hope it can help at least point you in the right direction...

chadbag
07-26-12, 20:02
It probably used to be. I don't think I've driven a stick in fifteen years. Have not owned one for twenty.

Really? That is interesting. (Nothing wrong with it, I just find it interesting)

I resist buying anything but. Both the Passat and the Dodge 2500 Cummins Megacab are sticks... (Both 2006).

Be careful renting a car in Europe or other foreign land as you will most likely get a manual with stick.

--

chadbag
07-26-12, 20:12

Exactly. Lots of things I have not tried, so will say I can't do them. But when it comes to it, I figure it out and do it. Whether it be on the car, the computer, in the home, etc.

I replaced the exhaust manifold on an old Mazda GLX when I lived in Germany. Had never done anything like it, but I got it done and it was a good job.

I did the brakes (new pads/shoes) on the rear of my Jetta. Bought the tools and figured it out. It took me a long time to get it done as I was slow on each step so I could make sure I knew what I was doing, but it worked, and the job got done and lasted for a long time.

If you are a guy, I think changing oil and other minimal stuff on your car is a must to know :), even if you normally would rather pay someone to do it. You should at least do it once so you know what you are doing.

--

Six Feet Under
07-27-12, 00:52

A guy I went to high school with is the same way; he has been on a plane a grand total of two times in his entire life and they were both on a single trip to New York for a wedding that was a few weeks ago. Maybe I've just been blessed with a family that loves to travel, but I have been flying since I was only a few years old and love it. Only had one feeling of dread while getting on a plane in my entire life and that was about three years after 9/11 when I flew out to Vegas my freshman year of high school for a family trip to the desert and Yosemite.

I'm talking, this kid was a total nervous wreck! I tried to console him over the computer and tell him that he was far more likely to bite the dust DRIVING to Tampa to the airport than he was flying to NY and back, but he wouldn't hear it. Just kept rambling about his life being in other people's hands instead of his own, blah blah blah.

Guess he never stopped to realize that's the case any time you drive next to another vehicle on the interstate, or ride in a car with another person, etc.

Personally, my fears are spiders (after I can't see them anymore, like the one that ran under my bed when I spotted it on the bedroom floor a few years ago... slept on the couch for a few nights after that) and snakes. I HATE rattlesnakes in particular, which is weird because I've never had a particularly bad experience with them. Got chased by a cottonmouth once while snorkeling in the river near my dad's house, but the closest I've come to a rattlesnake without plexiglass in between the two of us was when I had to shoot one at work because it was near where some high school kids were picking corn out in the field. That thing was pissed off too, and pretty good size. It ended up being about 5 1/2 to 6 feet long and I think it was fatter than my bicep in the middle. They just creep me out for some reason. Anything that flew and had the ability to sting me used to scare the shit out of me too, but I've pretty much gotten over that. I wouldn't volunteer to be a beekeeper or anything, but if one flies in my car while I'm driving I'd either keep going or calmly pull over and shoo it out.

The Guinness World Record breaking wasp that I accidentally zipped up in my rain jacket one day while driving, however... that thing was PISSED when I undid the top of the rain fly over the zipper and it flew out right in my face. :eek: