PDA

View Full Version : Troy Alpha Rail install question

cbr
07-22-12, 14:20
Does anyone know if a Troy Alpha Rail (7.2 or 9 inch) will allow the barrel nut to slide completely through it if the locking tabs are removed? If it will, then in my mind it should be possible to install it on a barrel with a pinned flash hider and fsp by sliding the fsp forward, sliding the rail over the nut from the rear, and then installing the locking tabs. Is my thinking correct or am I missing something? This would be on a rifle that is retaining the fixed front sight, not wanting to chop the front sight off.

sgtjosh
07-22-12, 16:28
Are you proposing to install the rail on the barrel and then install the barrel to the upper receiver?

saddlerocker
07-22-12, 17:51
If it has the flip up sight built in then no.
And even without im not too sure it will work.

You can punch the pins out and take the FSB off then reinstall the same FSB with the same pins.
Thats how most people install rails on their rifles.

An Undocumented Worker
07-22-12, 18:01
If it has the flip up sight built in then no.
And even without im not too sure it will work.

You can punch the pins out and take the FSB off then reinstall the same FSB with the same pins.
Thats how most people install rails on their rifles.

He has a pinned flash hider, that isn't an option.

Even if a barrel nut will slide all the way through the rail, installing the locking tabs with the barrel in the way is going to be a very trying procedure.

cbr
07-22-12, 21:03
To clarify the procedure I am talking about:
1. Remove taper pins from front sight base.
2. Slide front sight base forward and remove gas tube. It cannot be removed completely due to the pinned flash hider.
3. Remove barrel from receiver.
4. Remove delta ring.
5. Cut front handguard retainer off.
6. Slide Alpha rail over barrel nut onto barrel from the rear. (This is the question, is this possible?)
7. Reattach barrel to receiver.
8. Replace tabs in rail.
9. Install rail.
10. Reattach front sight base and gas tube.
11. Shoot the crap out of the rifle with new rail.

The rails without the built in front sight are what I am referring to, I should have mentioned that in my original post. I realize the tabs might be a bear to put back in, but I am sure it is possible with a little creativity. The question remains, will the barrel nut slide completely through the rail? And if so, am I missing anything?:confused:

SomeOtherGuy
07-22-12, 21:17
To clarify the procedure I am talking about:
1. Remove taper pins from front sight base.
2. Slide front sight base forward and remove gas tube. It cannot be removed completely due to the pinned flash hider.
3. Remove barrel from receiver.
4. Remove delta ring.
5. Cut front handguard retainer off.
6. Slide Alpha rail over barrel nut onto barrel from the rear. (This is the question, is this possible?)
7. Reattach barrel to receiver.
8. Replace tabs in rail.
9. Install rail.
10. Reattach front sight base and gas tube.
11. Shoot the crap out of the rifle with new rail.

The rails without the built in front sight are what I am referring to, I should have mentioned that in my original post. I realize the tabs might be a bear to put back in, but I am sure it is possible with a little creativity. The question remains, will the barrel nut slide completely through the rail? And if so, am I missing anything?:confused:

I have an 11" VTAC Alpha still in its box and am looking at it. I do not see any change in dimensions or any blocks for the length of the tube inside that would prevent you from pushing it over a barrel nut like you're asking. I'll try to put a barrel nut through it later this evening to confirm.

EDIT: I've tested it and a DPMS GI barrel nut drops right through freely from one end to the other. Much easier than I would have guessed.

FWIW, though, there are some nice other options that would be easier to install that I would also consider - like the Apex, or the upcoming Troy Delta rail.

cbr
07-22-12, 22:09
I have an 11" VTAC Alpha still in its box and am looking at it. I do not see any change in dimensions or any blocks for the length of the tube inside that would prevent you from pushing it over a barrel nut like you're asking. I'll try to put a barrel nut through it later this evening to confirm.

EDIT: I've tested it and a DPMS GI barrel nut drops right through freely from one end to the other. Much easier than I would have guessed.

FWIW, though, there are some nice other options that would be easier to install that I would also consider - like the Apex, or the upcoming Troy Delta rail.

Thank you so much! That is exactly what I needed to know. I realize there are easier options, I just really like the Troy rails.

RifleDriver
07-23-12, 00:17
You sure can, I just installed one the other day for a friend. He has a pinned flash hider on a 14.5 barrel. If you remove the locking tabs and the supplied rails, then the tube can be installed "backwards".

highlighter
07-23-12, 00:20
You sure can, I just installed one the other day for a friend. He has a pinned flash hider on a 14.5 barrel. If you remove the locking tabs and the supplied rails, then the tube can be installed "backwards".

I didn't know for sure but I thought that it might work. Don't think I have ever seen a rifle with a FF and a FSB.

RifleDriver
07-23-12, 00:40
It came out looking pretty good on my friend's AR. It's a carbine length with a pinned front sight. Troy builds a hell of a good FF tube.

highlighter
07-23-12, 00:58
It came out looking pretty good on my friend's AR. It's a carbine length with a pinned front sight. Troy builds a hell of a good FF tube.

Pics?:D

RifleDriver
07-23-12, 01:22
Sorry, I don't have any pics :-) The friend and rifle are both out of state now.

nanners83
07-23-12, 11:54
Here's a pic of a TRX VTAC 9" on a midlength gas barrel.
Link to thread where pic was found (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64628)