PDA

View Full Version : Consensus wanted on Sig, S&W 1911s

G34
07-22-12, 23:58
A year and a half after owning two Kimbers that were both truly piles of shit, I'm looking to get another Government 1911 and am not interested in what I suspect is the minimal gain of buying a custom over a quality factory or factory semi-custom. I haven't been able to find much reputable opinion (mostly firearm mags who's opinions I don't trust for a second and could write a fluff piece that would make a Ferrari out of a Yugo) on either the S&W or Sig 1911s so I'm interested in a brief summary opinion from anyone who owns either make. Thanks.

Redhat
07-23-12, 00:36
I have a SW1911PD Commander (scandium alloy frame). Has about 2k through it. Had a few feeding issues with the factory ACT Mags but since I switched to Wilson 47D's, Checkmate Hybrid feedlip and CMC Cobras, that all went away. Recoil is "peppy" compared to a full size steel gun. I replaced the full length guide rod with a standard GI type from Ed Brown, switched out the factory Novak sights for a set from 10-8 Performance and replaced the grips with VZ Operators.

Triggers typically have a little play horizontally / vertically, this seems to bother some but not me. Accuracy is about what you'd expect in a duty gun.

No parts breakages yet.

Sigmax
07-23-12, 01:03
Well here is my unvarnished opinion. Given SIG's current condition even the dear to my heart classic P-series SIG's are questionable.

The 1911 SIG's are full on medium quality boat anchors as boat anchors go if you ask me. Been down that long, expensive, frustrating, exhausting, dark, out of spec, crappy MIM (as in bad MIM parts) filled road. And I would save you the hassle if you will let me.

On the other hand, the S&W E series is a fav amount the professionals I know in LE that are allowed to carry 1911's & I have seen a decent number of them run pretty well.

As always a Used Wilson CQB or Nighthawk could be a good fit.

G34
07-23-12, 03:34
Well here is my unvarnished opinion. Given SIG's current condition even the dear to my heart classic P-series SIG's are questionable.

The 1911 SIG's are full on medium quality boat anchors as boat anchors go if you ask me. Been down that long, expensive, frustrating, exhausting, dark, out of spec, crappy MIM (as in bad MIM parts) filled road. And I would save you the hassle if you will let me.

I figured as much, I wouldn't buy one unless a large amount of people rolled in here singing Sig 1911's praises and I checked their post history for symptoms of fanboyism. I've heard so many negative things about their new P-series guns I didn't walk into this thread with any pre-conceived notions that they would make another all metal gun with any modicum of success.

Confirming my suspicions is as good as dispelling them so thank you for that!

BOOMER72
07-24-12, 09:32
I own a S&W 1911 E-series and i fed it just about every reload i could think of and it fed and ate it all. Let me start by saying I am not a huge 1911 fanboy, I know almost all fighting pistols derived from it and i respect it greatly but I dont own a but one. That being said I went with what I figured to be middle of the road as to what I could afford and I am impressed with the overall quality for a $750. 1911. I would definately consider other S&W 1911 variants. JMO

Richard Heinie
07-24-12, 09:43
I thought I would jump in on this thread to tell you my experience with the Sig 1911.
I was in attendance at a Media Event earlier this year and Sig was there one day. I had a chance to shoot the 1911's they had with them. Probably hand picked to make sure they worked, since a bunch of gunwriters were going to be shooting them. I saw very few malfunctions with these Pistols and there were hundreds of rounds shot thru them. The only thing I saw as a problem were the mags. They are marginal. Good mags to use to learn malfunction drills. The base pads break and the mags will go to far up in the magwell with a slide back reload.
I bought two Tac-Ops Sigs off of Gunbroker, to use for sight testing.
I purchased these off of Gunbroker for two reasons. Price and they would not have been hand picked since I was getting them.
Both pistols had three problems, other than the mags, which I corrected and they both run fine. I did not find any extractor problems. The extractor problem has been beat to death on the internet. Many times it is something else causing the problem.

One problem is the firing pin hole in the breach face was sharp. It needs to be chamfered.
Second the barrel feed ramp was flush with the feed ramp in the frame. This needs a .025-.030 step.
Third the feed ramp needs to be opened up a bit on each side to facilitate different bullet shapes.
Both pistols run fine with Semi wadcutters, Hollow Points and ball. Of course I used good mags. Wilson and Nighthawk Stainless mags with Wolff 10% over springs.
I didn't see anything wrong with the pistols, that a knowledgeable 1911 smith couldn't fix in short order.
It should already be fixed by the manufacturer, but that is the way it is with many companies. Very little knowledge or they asked the wrong person for advise.

Tzook
07-24-12, 13:08
If you have the money, I'd opt for a Springfield TRP or a Dan Wesson Valor.

Anyway, my friend has a Sig Scorpion 1911, so I've got to see it put through it's paces to an extent. It seems to eat pretty much any ammo, and I haven't seen it fail yet. The workmanship is so-so, I wouldn't call it a "safe queen" worthy gun. It's pretty heavy, and moderately accurate. (only have my TRP Operator to compare it to there.)

If you were looking for a gun to shoot the piss out of, and not take exceptional care of, but at the same time not have much in the way of a pretty gun, the Sig might not be a bad option.

RCI1911
07-24-12, 14:50
I had several issues with my TacOps which have been documented on here in several posts. I did have extractor tension issues; brass would fly anywhere from 4 o'clock where it should be to over my left shoulder and even straight back at my so badly that I had cases cut my forehead. Also, the barrel link lug was out of spec bad enough that the factory barrel link did not fit properly causing failures and eventually causing the link to egg-shape. A replacement from the factory would not even allow the slide to go to battery. A link of a different size was fitted by my gunsmith and the gun ran fine. My gun also exhibitted the same feeding ramp fit issues as Richard's gun with an improper gap between the barrel ramp and frame ramp. Other issues included a disconnector that would catch very hard on the slide cocking lug and a general roughness to the inside of the gun. I have a limited knowledge of the new S&W E-series guns but due to the high praise they have received from guys "in the know" I would have to imagine that they are a much better option then the Sig 1911's from my experience.

G34
07-24-12, 15:40
I thought I would jump in on this thread to tell you my experience with the Sig 1911.

Thanks for your input Richard, I'm not a 1911 guy but I know you're a legend in the 1911 smithing community. Thanks for everyone else's input as well!

TehLlama
07-24-12, 18:12
Going from Kimbers to Sigs - no. Just no.

Both can be made into usable pistols, but for the time and expertise of somebody competent enough to do that (read cost), you might as well start off with a cheaper Imbel unit (Springfield, ~Loaded price point), or just get a Colt.

Used Wilson, NHC, Baer, or on the new side, the TRP or Colt Rail Gun, 1911's are expensive enough, no point making it worse by trying to polish turds with greenbacks, as you've no doubt already discovered with your Kimber experience.

At The Ready
07-24-12, 18:45
I have a Sig Scorpion 1911 and my experience has been great thus far. After range time last weekend I have put 1500 rounds through it with 0 malfunctions. I have used Remington UMC, Winchester, Fiocchi and Blazer ammo and have yet to find something that it wont eat. I bought the gun after shooting it and a MC Operator side by side, and after taking into account the accuracy, out-of-the-box features ( mag-well/front strap checkering/night sights), and price the Scorpion won out for me. This is not my first 1911, I have owned Kimber's, Springer's and even a Colt back in the day.

Rowland_P
07-24-12, 19:08
I, too, own a Sig 1911, a Carry stainless model, that has been 100% reliable with cheap FMJ (Remington UMC, Privi, PMC Bronze) as well as HPs (Remington Golden Sabres and Speer God Dots). I also own two Colts, a Commander of recent manufacture and a XSE. IMO, the Sig is superior to both of them, for various reasons. It has certainly been more reliable.

If you can afford it, a semi-custom from Wilson, Baer or Ed Brown is obviously the way to go. But Sig is making a fine 1911 right now. I suggest you visit other sites as well, there the collective opinion of Sig 1911s seems to be very very favorable.

It seems to me the jury is still out on the Colt Rail Gun. I've talked to a couple of gunsmiths who have lamented a perceived downturn in Colt quality. I see it myself in my guns compared to several I've owned in years past. And even though the Colt Rail Gun was selected as the Marine's CQBP, several of them sustained safety-critical cracks in slides and frames, and a bent recoil spring that disabled the gun.

MILSHOOTER
07-24-12, 19:12
My personal experience with the S&W 1911 has been great except some gun shops will not intall parts on a scandium frame. I wanted a different main spring housing with a mag funnel but the shop suggested to send the gun to S&W because they have had issues with the steel and scandium.

G34
07-24-12, 19:45
Going from Kimbers to Sigs - no. Just no.

Don't worry, I'm not that misguided. My suspicions were that their 1911s suffer from so-so QC and manufacturing techniques their P-series weapons are now suffering from. I just wanted to confirm them before I scratched Sig off the list. I see a few people posted here with good things to say on the Sig and I don't have any doubt that's true, but when the other half have nothing good to say - that is not good. Just like Kimber, some people's never break, some people's have a massive FCG failure in the first week of ownership and need to be replaced (raises hand).

Sounds like the general consensus is that S&W is acceptable/good, Sigs are not and if possible go with something at least in the semi custom 1500 dollar price range if I have the funds - and I do. I'll go back into search mode and when I make a purchase and fire a thousand rounds I'll come back with an AAR on it. Thanks everyone.

Rowland_P
07-24-12, 19:55
No offense intended to this forum, but this is not really the website I would come to get objective opinions on anything made by Sig Sauer, if you are interested in mostly objective opinions. My recommendation would be to peruse SigForum, 1911Forum, and M1911. You will be exposed to a much larger sample of owners, critiques that are based less on bias and more on experience, and where the collective knowledge regarding the brand and platform seem much greater.

lethal dose
07-24-12, 20:04
You can't be serious...
No offense intended to this forum, but this is not really the website I would come to get objective opinions on anything made by Sig Sauer, if you are interested in mostly objective opinions. My recommendation would be to peruse SigForum, 1911Forum, and M1911. You will be exposed to a much larger sample of owners, critiques that are based less on bias and more on experience, and where the collective knowledge regarding the brand and platform seem much greater.

10-76
07-25-12, 15:57
I picked up a TAC OPS TR from GB this spring, March production date, it's been great.

Tzook
07-25-12, 16:29

Yes!!!! Go to the places where the lions share of members are NOT military of law enforcement, and get "unbiased" information from Sig fanboys about how awesome Sig is!!!

badness
07-25-12, 20:02

There's going to be bias on every forum, this one as well as the ones you mentioned are no different. Your thought process on recommending someone to go to SIGforums to hear an "objective" opinions on SIG guns makes me question your suggestion.

10-76
07-26-12, 09:29
I was shopping the S&W E-Series and did some research and money comparisons; a.) S&W is slowly stepping away from supporting their LE Customers-that's no good for me. b.) There is a reported high rate of returns for CS with the S&W. c.) When you could find an E-series with rail it was always 200-300 more than the SIGs. d.) The TAC OPS comes stock with all the bells and whistles shipped for 899 on GB, with extra mags (5) and holster; low profile NS, magwell, low profile ambi-safety, decent grips, blah blah blah...I'm not a SIG fanboi, I'm a fan of undervalued high quality firearms. I'd love one of Yam's 10-8 Operators (SA) but they're more than twice the money.

Redhat
07-26-12, 11:27
I was shopping the S&W E-Series and did some research and money comparisons; a.) S&W is slowly stepping away from supporting their LE Customers-that's no good for me. b.) There is a reported high rate of returns for CS with the S&W. c.) When you could find an E-series with rail it was always 200-300 more than the SIGs. d.) The TAC OPS comes stock with all the bells and whistles shipped for 899 on GB, with extra mags (5) and holster; low profile NS, magwell, low profile ambi-safety, decent grips, blah blah blah...I'm not a SIG fanboi, I'm a fan of undervalued high quality firearms. I'd love one of Yam's 10-8 Operators (SA) but they're more than twice the money.

Where did you hear this? What is the return rate?

Thanks

10-76
07-26-12, 12:13
At work, in the forums recently, etc..

Sigmax
07-26-12, 14:27

Regarding the reality of S&W's policy on the support of LE 1911's from Hilton Yam:

"For clarification re: the original post, S&W is not pushing the E Series 1911s for LE due to their current warranty policy. Their usual warranty support for agencies with S&W pistols is quite comprehensive, and it is their concern that agencies ending up with the very maintenance intensive 1911 will be killing them with things like replacement springs every few thousand rounds, replacement mags, new bushings, etc etc etc. Until they can hammer out a revised 1911 specific policy for agencies, they are just not pushing the issue. Further, production of the E Series is so behind, they wouldn't be able to support an agency order of any substantial size. "

2nd I would be shy of quoting on anecdotal evidence of high return rates without first hand knowledge of actual rates and Internet boards don't count.

If you like your sig great, but from the price you quoted I would disagree that they are undervalued. But that is just my experience with them.

10-76
07-26-12, 15:03
Regarding the reality of S&W's policy on the support of LE 1911's from Hilton Yam:

"For clarification re: the original post, S&W is not pushing the E Series 1911s for LE due to their current warranty policy. Their usual warranty support for agencies with S&W pistols is quite comprehensive, and it is their concern that agencies ending up with the very maintenance intensive 1911 will be killing them with things like replacement springs every few thousand rounds, replacement mags, new bushings, etc etc etc. Until they can hammer out a revised 1911 specific policy for agencies, they are just not pushing the issue. Further, production of the E Series is so behind, they wouldn't be able to support an agency order of any substantial size. "

2nd I would be shy of quoting on anecdotal evidence of high return rates without first hand knowledge of actual rates and Internet boards don't count.

If you like your sig great, but from the price you quoted I would disagree that they are undervalued. But that is just my experience with them.

Yes, the "reality" is as I stated: S&W is not supporting LE sales as they have in the past, whether it be agency or individual officer. Please explain how Hilton's copy/pasted statement contradicts mine.

Correct, per anecdotal evidence on the interwebs. I did not quote anybody from therein, but reported my research basics of the last 8 months, and I continue to read about it online and hear about it at work, and on the range. Did you want a download of digi-cordings from the locker room?

Your last comment of dissection has double-negatives in it-what did you mean? SIG is $200-300 less, with better LE support at the moment, comes with better features, and I could actually purchase one when I was ready to purchase one. More gun, better support, lifetime warranty, availability, and almost $300 less. Hmmm, yeah.....you're correct.

If you want to continue cross-talking my opinion about a pistol and infer an ignorance on my part, shoot me a P.M.. Otherwise, enough of your child games and thread-jack crap.

Redhat
07-26-12, 16:36
I would suspect, the SW1911 was never targeted at the LE community whereas the M&P line is...correct?

Regarding internet banter about faulty SW1911's, I have read some of the same stuff...but most seem to be regarding a scratch or blemish on the finish. Without knowing what SW knows, I don't know if there is any way to get a good idea on QC or not.

10-76
07-26-12, 22:31
I would suspect, the SW1911 was never targeted at the LE community whereas the M&P line is...correct?

Regarding internet banter about faulty SW1911's, I have read some of the same stuff...but most seem to be regarding a scratch or blemish on the finish. Without knowing what SW knows, I don't know if there is any way to get a good idea on QC or not.

Correct, but with caveats; the M&P line fits (3) items mentioned by Hilton-budget, maintenance time, and agency Armorers. The light rail makes the E-Series attractive to LE needs for us midnight shifters who are allowed to carry what is approved.

All pistols have an issue or another, and I do not say that to muddy the waters, or it could be that S&W has sold more E-Series Tac. pistols than SIG's line. Therefore, a larger number in the field will have a larger proportion of reportings.

Personally, I'm more a fan of S&W's pistols and have had great experience with their revolvers, M&P line, and their 3rd gen. 10xx series. That being said, I'm leaning towards checking out a TRP after I figure out what my duty/3-gun AR will be. Cheers.

misanthropist
07-26-12, 22:47
Correct, but with caveats; the M&P line fits (3) items mentioned by Hilton-budget, maintenance time, and agency Armorers. The light rail makes the E-Series attractive to LE needs for us midnight shifters who are allowed to carry what is approved.

All pistols have an issue or another, and I do not say that to muddy the waters, or it could be that S&W has sold more E-Series Tac. pistols than SIG's line. Therefore, a larger number in the field will have a larger proportion of reportings.

Personally, I'm more a fan of S&W's pistols and have had great experience with their revolvers, M&P line, and their 3rd gen. 10xx series. That being said, I'm leaning towards checking out a TRP after I figure out what my duty/3-gun AR will be. Cheers.

It's also possible that buyers of the E-series have a different set of performance standards on average than buyer of the Sig 1911.

Note that I am not saying this IS the case, but simply that it would be another way to explain greater rates of S&W 1911s getting returned, even if their average performance was better.

If the average SW buyer puts substantially more rounds through their pistol, they will disover issues much more quickly.

Just another thought on interpreting the data.

Sigmax
07-27-12, 01:31
Yes, the "reality" is as I stated: S&W is not supporting LE sales as they have in the past, whether it be agency or individual officer. Please explain how Hilton's copy/pasted statement contradicts mine.

Correct, per anecdotal evidence on the interwebs. I did not quote anybody from therein, but reported my research basics of the last 8 months, and I continue to read about it online and hear about it at work, and on the range. Did you want a download of digi-cordings from the locker room?

Your last comment of dissection has double-negatives in it-what did you mean? SIG is $200-300 less, with better LE support at the moment, comes with better features, and I could actually purchase one when I was ready to purchase one. More gun, better support, lifetime warranty, availability, and almost $300 less. Hmmm, yeah.....you're correct.

If you want to continue cross-talking my opinion about a pistol and infer an ignorance on my part, shoot me a P.M.. Otherwise, enough of your childish (fixed it for you) games and thread-jack crap.

Dude don't start talking smack.

Hilton's comments highlight the whole story, they point out the "stepping away" from LE means they have a hold until on E series LE channel purchases until they revise the policy for 1911's & get caught up on the orders. Sucks yes, but an individual officer can buy them commercially and get the same Lifetime warranty you got from your SIG on GB. They will still warranty the weapon, they just won't give the comprehensive service typical in the agency contracts.

They are hard to get and there is a lot of demand for them, Wilson is almost 1.5 years, Springfield custom is what a year out also. Good 1911 platforms are very much in demand.

digi-cordings..funny. When I hear a statement of fact like "There is a reported high rate of returns for CS with the S&W. " I like to know the source to see if it can be vetted. I do know enough professionals (civ & LE) running the E series in decent numbers, to included the MSP STOP unit, that I am pretty comfortable with them, as comfortable as with any production 1911 in LE.

I really question the value of the SIG 1911. Given what I have seen of SIG with the agencies around here and knowledge of their management, I flat out don't trust them to build such as labor intensive platform correctly, that is going to stand up to hard use. I don't know a single SME (LAV, Hilton, Morrison, etc) in 1911's that is going to back the SIG both vs the E series or in general. LAV told me what his evaluation of them was personally at the 1911 training class & it was not a polite response.

The extra cost of having the corrections done by a knowledge smith throws the value prop way off & I found SIG service to be nearly maddening in their lack of understanding of the 1911. Given Mr. Heinie's experience in this thread and the corrections he had to do to 100% of the pistols he ordered from GB I just don't see a reason to think that has changed.

Your tac-ops works well, I think that is great. We are just going to disagree on this topic.

10-76
07-27-12, 08:45
OP requested input from owners on 2 pistols: I just stopped shopping and researching one, before I researched and bought the other pistol the OP is asking about.

There is no "smack " to that: cost, availability, features, QC, and again availability. Nothing to disagree about. Moving on...

El Cid
07-27-12, 09:55
OP, here is some great advice: http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2011/01/choosing-your-first-1911-some-thoughts.html?m=1

Good luck. Personally I would not buy either a Sig or S&W 1911. For "entry level" I'd either look hard at the Springfield or the Colt rail gun.

G34
07-27-12, 14:06
If I were S&W, I probably wouldn't waste any energy marketing a 1911 to LE. I realize this is the 1911 board and obviously I am in the market for a new 1911, but we all know tupperware guns are more suitable for LE general issue and have had a stranglehold on the LE market for a while.

In other words, I don't think any LE marketing efforts or sales have any bearing on the quality of the weapon.

Thanks again for the people who dropped in with input on their weapons.

brickboy240
07-31-12, 12:29
Hilton Yam's advice on the 10-8 blog is golden.

I am glad to see he also suggests the Springfield GI and Mil-Spec 1911s for "starter" 1911s. My own Springer GI has been 100% reliable right out of the box for about 7 years now. The thing, despite its small sights, is fairly accurate at 7-10yds, too. For the $469.00 I paid for it 7 years ago....it was a bargain.

To get a box stock Colt 1911 that ran like this lowly GI...well years ago that was some sort of miracle! LOL

Over the years, I have thought about selling it or "trading up" for what would be my 3rd Colt 1911 but why sell a 1911 that just runs perfect? Even if it does have tons of MIM parts...the lowly Springer GI really has a lot going for it as a starter or bare bones 1911.

Surprised the hell out of me...

-brickboy240

Ferris2son
07-31-12, 23:35
Review of my S&W

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KbpRUsJR6tU

mike240
11-30-12, 21:33
My E series experience was less than good. Based on the reports of the service centers work and knowing I could fix it I did. The warranty may be voided but no matter.

The gun was plagued by 3 point jams and failure to return to battery. I could list all the things I did to it but it is a sample of one to me and of little value since others have had success with their's. Using 47Ds, ETMs, Metalform Elites did not help at all without the work.

Today marked about 500 rounds without issue regardless of the listed mags used. It now even runs on Winchester Ranger frangible, which in my 1911 experience, is it runs that stuff, it will run anything.

It has except able duty accuracy though with the horrible barrel fit on mine,other issues will likely surface later in life. I see a new barrel in its future.

The thing that bother me the most about the Es I have handled is that the rail is I guess out of spec. The X300 that slides easily and locks tightly on my Warrior and Larue rails does not go on the E.

Slvr Surfr
12-01-12, 09:25
I've owned a SW 1911PD scandium commander and it was a great gun. I often wish that I had kept it in it's original condition. (It just takes one shitty gunsmith to screw that up.)

During ownership my SW began having light primer strikes. I was the third owner of this gun. One call to SW and it was gone back to them and returned in two weeks. The problem is well known and had to do with the firing pin safety dragging. I never had any issues with it. The gun ran all ammo from hard ball to hollow points.

I will also endorse Springfield Armory and Dan Wesson. Great quality production pistols with great CS should you need it.

I have no formal experience with Sig 1911s.

Travelingchild
12-01-12, 10:28
I've owned a SW 1911PD scandium commander and it was a great gun.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78689

Previous Thread, unfortunately I deleted the photos from my photobucket account
Still no issues

SFW
12-02-12, 12:10
While I do not personally own a Sig 1911, my range buddy does. I know that it doesn't like reloads and hollow points. This along tool Sig out of consideration for a 1911 platform for me. I love my early 90s P228, but there are better 1911 makers out there.

SteveS
12-03-12, 21:45
I would buy a Wilson combat 1911 and if they are too pricey, though in the long run they are a bargain. The Dan Wesson line of 1911s would be my choice is you want to spend less.

JonInWA
12-04-12, 07:40
Here's a detailed overview of the SIGARMS/SIG-Sauer 1911 platform as I see and have personally experienced, as well as a detailed review of my personal Gen 2 GSR XO:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97873#Post97873

I have no experience with the Smith & Wesson 1911s, but I would likely choose to go the Colt 1911 route (either a 1991, Series 70, XSE or Special Combat {an XSE varient}) over a Smith.

I'm sure that you'll have no problems in determining which posts out of the thread are mine...

Best, Jon

Striker
12-05-12, 00:10
Here's a detailed overview of the SIGARMS/SIG-Sauer 1911 platform as I see and have personally experienced, as well as a detailed review of my personal Gen 2 GSR XO:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=97873#Post97873

I have no experience with the Smith & Wesson 1911s, but I would likely choose to go the Colt 1911 route (either a 1991, Series 70, XSE or Special Combat {an XSE varient}) over a Smith.

I'm sure that you'll have no problems in determining which posts out of the thread are mine...

Best, Jon

I read your post on the 10-8 forum. Very well thought out. A good read for anyone considering a Sig 1911.

dseduce
12-19-12, 22:17
Very happy with my Sig Sqorpion...over 1000 round of ball and hollowpoint...dirty and clean it has not failed to run.

jedi391
01-04-13, 18:14
I'm currently carrying a Sig 1911 TACOPS on duty. I have owned and duty carried Springfield, Kimber, and S&W as far as production guns. The only production 1911 I currently own is the Sig. It's outstanding. Über accurate and 100% functional from round 1. The Springfield and Kimber were not. The Smith was good, not as smooth as the Sig though. I can point to horror stories concerning any 1911 out there or gun period for that matter. My experience is that most who talk smack about Sig do so because it's different from what they're used to or they heard something from someone else. Not to say there aren't some bad experiences but that's true with all of the manufacturers. Heck after Kimber my agencies failure rate is highest among Ed Browns lately. Some minor issues with Wilson's and Springers. Colt, Sig,and S&W all seem solid.

I had to crack up at the earlier comments about LE/Mil types being down on Sig 1911's. The guy who first turned me on to them is a 10 year plus SWAT veteran who had seen time as a Marine in the sand box as most of our SWAT guys are. None of them were critical at all and were complimentary when inspecting my Sig. Of course the Texas Rangers SOG chose Sig Tacops and we know they're a joke right? I actually talked to a Ranger buddy who carries a personally owned customized 1911 who said if he didn't carry his full custom he'd have no problem with the Sig.