PDA

View Full Version : Insights (John Holschen): Intensive Handgun Sept 28-30th Harrisburg PA

jasonhgross
07-23-12, 07:44
Insights (John Holschen): Intensive Handgun Sept 28-30th Harrisburg PA

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Topr_yDTY&list=PLFD41E837AD33CB8F&index=3&feature=plcp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It isn't often that John Holschen or Greg Hamilton make it to the East Coast to train anymore. I have been training with these two instructors since 1996 and they are outstanding instructors in every way. I am not affiliated with Insights except as a student, but after training with a few of you who post in here, I felt that you may benefit from this class. John is by far one of the best true TEACHERS I have ever had the pleasure to learn from. He is excellent at both diagnosing each shooter's issues while pushing you to perform at your absolute best. I took this class last year and I am excited to get more out of it the second time around.

Details below from Insights's website:

https://www.insightstraining.com/view_course.asp?courseID=12

Intensive Handgun Skills:
Course Designer: Greg Hamilton This is a "shooters" course with maximum range time. The course stresses accuracy and speed but not speed at the expense of accuracy. The course will include equal amounts of paper and steel shooting. The principles of economy of motion and economy of time will be stressed throughout. Then on the third day the student will be put under stress through the use of time constraints and man on man competition.

Also included are long-range exercises, barricade drills, movement, shooting while moving, and moving targets. This is a perfect course for the shooter who wants to maximize their use of the handgun for self-defense or the competitive shooter who could use fine-tuning of their technique. After this course you will be shooting faster and with a greater degree of accuracy than ever before.

This course is a modified and updated version of the course taught to Government and Military Special Operations Personnel and draws heavily on techniques learned from the best shooters in the world. (J. Michael Plaxco's book is highly suggested reading for the course.)

Guaranteed! You will see a giant improvement in your speed and accuracy after completing this course!

Lewisberry, PA
September 28-30, 2012

Time: 8am-6pm
Instructor: John Holschen

zacbol
07-30-12, 18:45
Took this with Holschen in 2010 and with Hamilton this past January here in the Seattle area. Outstanding class in both instances.

jasonhgross
08-12-12, 11:31
Absolutely, I am very happy to be able to take this class (again) in Harrisburg PA. I have taken many classes from other instructors, I keep going back to Insights for a reason for my hard earned training dollars. New video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Topr_yDTY&list=PLFD41E837AD33CB8F&index=3&feature=plcp

zacbol
08-12-12, 13:36
Yeah, I really like the Tactical Moment videos John has been putting out. Great, concise explanations of specific areas like sight picture, ready position, etc. Looking forward to the next one.

I haven't attended classes with many other instructors, but I have bought quite a few DVDs. While a DVD will never be the same as the individual attention one receives in class, I do think you can get a sense of the pedagogical approach instructors take and the material. Of all the DVDs I've purchased, the only instructor that has seemed to go into the type of depth or broken things down as far as Insights is SouthNarc (Incidentally, I think he was in the same class in Ranger School as Hamilton and was one of a few instructors that seemed to get an endorsement from the instructors) I'm still hoping to take a class with him. The rest of the DVDs I have just convinced me my money would be better spent on more classes with Insights. YMMV.

jasonhgross
08-12-12, 15:23
I have a similar experience from live classes as well as a few videos. My experience with other instructors was a good SHOOTING experience but not as good a LEARNING experience. Many classes I have taken outside Insights classes seemed more like a series of drills just strung together. Often, Ireceived little personalized instruction and the class as a whole received little explanation (or break down) of why things should be done a certain way or how things should be done. It was mostly "ok guys shoot" followed by "ok you screwed this up, do it differently next time." I am simplifying, but it was mostly like that.

I believe the other instructors come a good place, but the ability to truly instruct is very different than simply imposing a set of standards on students. A true instructor is able to get the information they have into the student, get the student to DO as they do, not simply explain what they do and show them how. I believe John Holschen and Greg Hamilton are true instructors that are a true bargain in time and money due to the incredible amount of learning I am able to digest under their guidance. They really are like nobody else.