PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new holster...what are my options

BCmJUnKie
07-23-12, 12:50
A light bearing holster is what I'm after. It's for a G17 with x300.

I have been reading the reviews on raven concealment, I'm getting mixed. Reviews at that.

I have never run a light bearing holster, I need to know my options and what is good, what cracks or falls apart.

I'm leaning towards leather with a kydex holster IWB.

Can I get some options of what is out ther?

GLOCKMASTER
07-23-12, 13:32
Yea here is a link that is stickied at the top of this forum.

Compiled List of Holster Makers (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34835)

BCmJUnKie
07-23-12, 13:43
That's exactly what I needed haha. I was searching all morning, switched up key words, I KNEW there was a list, just couldn't find it.

Thanks buddy. Appreciated

Failure2Stop
07-23-12, 13:46
I have had good experience with Raven Concealment, PSS Holsters, and Dark Star Gear, and I recommend them.

PSS and DS tend to get items to you faster than most of the others.

Eta: I made these recommendations before fully comprehending that the OP was looking for an IWB holster. Mea culpa

BCmJUnKie
07-23-12, 13:53
I have had good experience with Raven Concealment, PSS Holsters, and Dark Star Gear, and I recommend them.

PSS and DS tend to get items to you faster than most of the others.

With the Raven, is it a good EDC holster? or is it better for range use?

I hate holsters that are top heavy and flop around. I like a good holster that actually conceals. I could use a good range holster too though.

Failure2Stop
07-23-12, 14:13

I hate holsters that are top heavy and flop around. I like a good holster that actually conceals. I could use a good range holster too though.

I haven't used Raven for a while due to change of platform and working with some other holsters.
They are all very similar, and work well for OWB. I use them for carry, range, and competition. Their suitability will have a lot to do with what you wear, belt, body proportions, and position of carry.
There are some IWB kydex options, but they get a little wacky with a WML.

BCmJUnKie
07-23-12, 14:34
Got it. Im lookin for something I guess at 3:30 to 4 o' clock.

Im not fat so I can conceal a full size pistol no problem if I have the right holster.

I would definatly like something comfortable, I carry for 11 hours a day.

Kevin P
07-23-12, 15:19
No offense but I would not of expected this type thread from a senior member.

No one can tell you which holster will work for you. You will find some people that like one holster as much as the hate the same one. It is an experimenting process. All you are going to get is peoples personal preference.

There are a lot of good holster manufactures that make a quality product and will stand behind it.

rackham1
07-23-12, 15:32

Whacha mean by range use? As in, all geared up (chest rig, battle belt, whatever) or as you CCW? I wear either a Raven (OWB) or PSS (IWB) about 8-12 hours each day and think they're perfect for EDC. But my range use is limited to "as I CCW" so can't speak to the geared up use if that's more of what you're after.

BCmJUnKie
07-23-12, 17:41
Whacha mean by range use? As in, all geared up (chest rig, battle belt, whatever) or as you CCW? I wear either a Raven (OWB) or PSS (IWB) about 8-12 hours each day and think they're perfect for EDC. But my range use is limited to "as I CCW" so can't speak to the geared up use if that's more of what you're after.

I dont run a chest rig or battle belt.

I usually run mags out of my pockets, I use a drop thigh rig with a 1.5" propper belt, mag pouches for my pistol.

Thanks man

rjacobs
07-23-12, 17:48
I will say a full up kydex holster like a Raven for light bearing is IMO not great for IWB. I have one I got from Atomic Dog for my M&P9FS with a TLR1 and I run it on a battle belt. It works great for that. I tried running it IWB and it was just way to much shit to be carrying that way. OWB, great, all day, but IWB, not for me. Maybe one would work for you, but for me it just plain sucked.

Guinnessman
07-24-12, 05:10
I too have an Atomic Dog OWB with the additional IWB clips. OWB with this holster is great, but the sharp edges of the Kydex make IWB carry uncomfortable. Ymmv.

07-24-12, 08:52
I would be hesitant to carry a WML with an IWB holster. I did, a G19 with a TLR1, for approximatley 1 year. It began to hurt my back due to the thickness of the gun/light combo. Outside the waistband, it was incredibly comfortable. Inside, it caused back problems after a while. I ended up getting a non light bearing holster, and the difference is amazing. Much more comfortable. The holster used was a Bad Karma (local company)

07-24-12, 09:43
I've been carrying, shooting, and training with a Raven G17/X300 combo for over two years now. It's carried IWB all day, every day.

I find it just fine, comfort wise carried at exactly 3:00 o'clock. You definitely know you're carrying a full-sized auto with a light attached, but it's not uncomfortable.

The holster does everything I need it to. Very secure. No flopping around on belt. Allows for a proper grip when initiating the draw, but still conceals fine as long as you're not wearing your girlfriend's clothes.

I can't remember what Raven calls the belt clips that I use, but they're perfect. The holster feels just as secure as one with regular loops, yet it can be easily taken on/off without removing your belt. Unfortunately, Raven doesn't seem to make them anymore. I just checked their website, and they're no longer available it seems.

BCmJUnKie
07-24-12, 10:46
I would be hesitant to carry a WML with an IWB holster. I did, a G19 with a TLR1, for approximatley 1 year. It began to hurt my back due to the thickness of the gun/light combo. Outside the waistband, it was incredibly comfortable. Inside, it caused back problems after a while. I ended up getting a non light bearing holster, and the difference is amazing. Much more comfortable. The holster used was a Bad Karma (local company)

This is what Im starting to think. The kydex just seems way too thick with the light.

I appreciate all the replies. Im checking all the companies listed

theblackknight
07-24-12, 11:20

No one can tell you which holster will work for you. You will find some people that like one holster as much as the hate the same one. It is an experimenting process. All you are going to get is peoples personal preference.

There are a lot of good holster manufactures that make a quality product and will stand behind it.

I dont think being a senior member means he can't try to find the right holster the 1st time for his guns and body type from people who have similer guns and waist size(or lack of).

Some people dont like having that 800$ box o' holsters.

(moving on)

Dude, I might be ordering one of these today. http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/products-page/aiwb-holster/ His wait is 3weeks. Recomended from other users for honoring the lead time and actually responding to emails. They say the holster is nice too.

TAZ
07-24-12, 12:00
For the past 2 years or so my carry rig was a Raven Phantom that held a G21+X300. 90% of the time it was IWB and there were many 24+ hour stints there where I was snoozing with the gun on. No issues with comfort, security or reliability. I'm not a huge guy 5'7" and the Raven worked well for me with a loose fitting T-Shirt. Granted no gymnastics or anything on the movement front, every day actions were not a problem. I know their wait is long, but you won't be sorry. If you don't like it you can probably resell it immediately for full retail value for something as common as the g17+X300 combo.

BCmJUnKie
07-24-12, 12:25

None taken.

If you had slowed down to read my thread, I asked what was out there as far as LIGHT BEARING HOLSTERS go.

I have been carrying the same holster now for 5 years.

Being a senior member has nothing to do with it.

I simply asked for a list of what was out there

El Cid
07-24-12, 12:26
I've used the RC Phantom for several years now. First with a G22/X300, and for the past year with the G21/X300. I love the setup and am still amazed at how concealable it is. I don't wear it IWB because I am not willing to buy pants that have a waist wide enough. I wouldn't be able to wear them w/o an IWB holster.

That said, a coworker wears the RC with his G22/X300 IWB all day, every day. He loves it and has no complaints about comfort, etc. I think the kydex would be thinner based on looking at the leather IWB holsters I've used over the years.

I'd say buy it and if you don't like it as an IWB, you can put the original loops back on and use it OWB or on MOLLE, etc.

If you are not interested in the wait time associated with RC, I have a holster from RDR Custom in Ft Lauderdale. He tends to be much quicker and the quality is there. His website isn't up yet (because he's making holsters), but he's on FB.

BCmJUnKie
07-24-12, 12:50
Does the Phantom include the loops to convert from IWB/OWB?

Also what are some recommendations for the body shield.

Im thinking I would prefer the low cut, or should I just order the full and chop it down if I dont like it

TomF
07-24-12, 13:09
Does the Phantom include the loops to convert from IWB/OWB?

No, everything we make comes ready for OWB wear. To convert to IWB, you'll need to select a set of IWB mounting options from our list (we offer a number of different combos).

For a Light Compatible (LC) holster carried IWB, I prefer our IWB Tuckable Soft Loops with a set of our IWB Offset Wings. There are a ton of mounting options with those items.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

El Cid
07-24-12, 14:00

Im thinking I would prefer the low cut, or should I just order the full and chop it down if I dont like it

I have the full and like it. I always wear an undershirt though. You're spot-on with the ability to shorten it if you need to after you wear it a bit.

TMcGuff
07-24-12, 22:52
http://www.griffonindustries.com/

Exactly what you want.

El Cid
07-25-12, 11:30
http://www.griffonindustries.com/

Exactly what you want.

Maybe I missed it on their site but I don't see where they offer IWB as an option. That's what he wants. ;)

jbo723
07-25-12, 13:14
I also have been carrying a G17/X300 IWB for the past 2 years but, currently use the comp-tac C-TAC holster. Maybe take a look at those as another option. Shipping was really quick and had my holster within a week or so.

rackham1
07-25-12, 16:29

I recommend full. I have one kydex with full and one with low. On reholstering with the low, I often pinch my side between the pistol and the holster, even with undershirt. Not that I'm fat... it just rides close.

Wake27
07-25-12, 18:48
Trying to find the right holster sucks... I want to give RCS a try, if I can find one...

PLCedeno
07-26-12, 05:00
Go PSS. Available now and excellent quality plus customer service.

TomF
07-26-12, 09:24
Trying to find the right holster sucks... I want to give RCS a try, if I can find one...

What pistol do you need a holster for?

Wake27
07-26-12, 12:06
What pistol do you need a holster for?

Well I need 2 light bearing holsters, one for a G19 w/ TLR-1 and one for a 1911 w/ X300. I'm trying to find a used one for either around here but haven't seen much so I'm debating just placing an order since I'm waiting anyways. Thing is, I have a pancake style for my 1911 already (without light) and its less than I'd hoped for. I don't know if I don't like the style in general, or the manufacturer, or if its just harder to make a holster for a 1911 then it would be for a Glock. All of which is just more of a reason I was trying to find a used one to get my hands on now and see if I liked them as much as everyone else seems to.

TomF
07-26-12, 12:31
I can't promise any specific date, but the average G19/TLR1 holsters are moving out of here a good bit quicker than the standard quoted lead times.

Anything Glock 9/40, M&P 9/40 or 1911 without a light we can have in your hands very quickly. Full 30 day trial/return policy is available on everything too.

Just an FYI. Please reach out if I can help you with anything else.

Wake27
07-26-12, 16:41
I can't promise any specific date, but the average G19/TLR1 holsters are moving out of here a good bit quicker than the standard quoted lead times.

Anything Glock 9/40, M&P 9/40 or 1911 without a light we can have in your hands very quickly. Full 30 day trial/return policy is available on everything too.

Just an FYI. Please reach out if I can help you with anything else.

That's good to hear, thanks.

OP - where have you seen mixed reviews on RCS? I've honestly never seen anything bad about them which is why I'm considering them so heavily.

BobM
07-28-12, 17:17
I've worn a M&P40/TLR in a RCS Phantom LC mostly IWB since 07 or so and find it pretty comfortable. I've used the soft snap loops without any issues.