PDA

View Full Version : My M&P from Diversified Firearm Concepts

ruchik
07-23-12, 19:32
I had initially purchased the M&P 9 with the intent of making it into a HD, SD/SHTF gun. It is, to date, the ONLY double stack handgun that I could get a proper grip on. See, I have really small hands (I wear men's extra small gloves). To give you an idea, with a high grip, centered in wrist hold on a Glock, I cannot reach the trigger safety and hence cannot even pull the trigger. Yup, that small.

Even so, the M&P was not perfect. My small hands, coupled with the rather tall height of the gun, meant that my hand wasn't consistently landing on the same spot on the gun. So I sent it off to Burwell Gunsmithing for a grip chop. The gun was now the perfect height, but the trigger was still a little bit of a reach.

Enter the Apex FSS kit. The trigger included with the kit reduced the length of pull quite a bit. But I was still unhappy. I wanted to be able to get my finger squarely on that trigger regardless of the gun ended up in my hand, and this quickly became obvious during my first handgun match. I kept getting too little finger on the trigger after the draw, and was consequently pulling my shots right.

And so my quest began anew. I was well aware that there were a few gunsmiths who did grip reductions. But none of them offered what I wanted; a reduction in the backstrap just under the beavertail, which would reduce the reach to the trigger. The fine folks here at M4C pointed me towards Diversified Firearm Concepts. I checked out their Facebook page, and was stunned at what they could achieve with an M&P. They offered exactly what I was looking for. Fast forward two months, and I finally have my M&P back, and I am very pleased with the results.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/IMG_20120723_165707.jpg

Here you can see just how much material Joe at DFC removed. He actually removes the backstrap entirely, fills it in with some sort of epoxy or liquid plastic, then grinds it into the final shape. The stippling is laser straight and grippy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2012-07-23165801.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2012-07-23165815.jpg

The sunlight makes the epoxy more apparent than it really is. It blends in quite well.

To Joe/DFC if you're reading this: As excellent as your work is, there are two suggestions I'd like to make. One, is that you need to warn your customers that using Breakfree CLP or Gunscrubber on the frame will make the color of the epoxy start to run. I blasted the frame with non-chlorinated brake cleaner like I always did on polymer guns with no ill effects, but in this case, the epoxy started running a reddish brown color. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong, except the filled in area is ever so slightly lighter. Two, I would suggest making the area of the backstrap right under the beavertail a little more rounded. It's a little too squarish for my taste, but I can fix that on my own if it bothers me after trying it out.

All in all, however, it is excellent work and I am quite satisfied. I can now reach/pull the trigger confidently with no problems. If anyone else has small hands, or is just looking for that extra edge, you can do no better than to send your gun to Diversified Firearm Concepts.

theblackknight
07-23-12, 23:39
http://www.jrcharney.com/gallery/burger_king_tiny_hands.jpg

Cool gun.keep up with the matches.

Richard Belott
07-31-12, 21:32
Sweet

sparkman
08-01-12, 08:12
Joey's handiwork is top shelf for sure

MGOers rock!

WD

aflin
08-01-12, 10:03
Wow...that is nice.

Did DFC modify the mag baseplates too?

jpmuscle
08-01-12, 10:55
Damn, That looks really really good.

smitty704
08-01-12, 14:50
They did a great job.

ruchik
08-01-12, 15:11
Wow...that is nice.

Did DFC modify the mag baseplates too?

Nope, the mags were cut by Dan Burwell along with the grip. I use 10rd mags as mandated by state law here, so they actually have plastic lower halves. Easy to cut them yourself. But if it's a normal capacity mag, I'd suggest getting it done professionally.

ryu_sekai
08-01-12, 17:47
can you post a pic you holding the gun?

ruchik
08-01-12, 18:22
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2012-08-01161701.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2012-08-01161716.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2012-08-01161810.jpg

ryu_sekai
08-01-12, 18:48
Looks good! :)

Stickman
05-27-14, 15:31
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but has anyone else heard of this company being sent frames, and then not returning them?

Wolvee
06-02-14, 00:48
I haven't heard anything about that. Joey is good people. If give him all my business if I could handle his wait times. He is just swamped with work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

trinydex
06-03-14, 15:02
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but has anyone else heard of this company being sent frames, and then not returning them?

stickman is referring to my experience with diversified firearms concepts.

the saga has now come to a conclusion, I will briefly summarize what happened.

back in November I sent my frame to dfc to get the robar removed from my gun and have dfc done to it. this was previously discussed over email with Joe (who at the time was very responsive). Joe had actually suggested that I start with a new frame instead of redoing the old one because it would end up being more costly to redo the frame. the frame is of a certain vintage that has less problems than the modern frames, so I insisted that price wasn't going to be the issue, I just wanted Joe's excellent work. Joe told me that price wouldn't be determined until he had the frame in hand, I was just fine with this arrangement. again I wasn't worried about price, I was worried about work being top notch.

I was charged in December and Joe and I exchanged some emails. I wanted to know when to expect the gun's return since I'd been charged. He told me it'd be done soon and for more involved custom work he charged first, whereas for more off the shelf jobs he would charge at completion. he said the frame was almost done and it should go out early the next week. this was the beginning of the downhill trend.

to be honest, I probably should have known better than to expect a custom job to be done within a month or two, that said I trusted what Joe had told me.

I checked back multiple times between December and April. each time joe would tell me that the gun was almost done. a few times he told me he redid the backstrap because he didn't like how it turned out. he needed to dye it and it would be in the mail. I would receive a tracking number soon. I even received a tracking number in April to which a package was never processed. finally in May I decided to consult some senior forum members and get some advice on what my options were. I really didn't want to come out and bad mouth a vendor, I wanted to give Joe every chance to make good. However, after so many months of being told things that were untrue, I was beginning to have major stress about whether or not I would ever get my gun back. It would have been one thing if Joe told me it would be another 6 months and not to check back before then. at least it would have been honest and my expectations would have been realistic and congruent with reality.

in May I sent Joe a deadline of the end of May. I sent him multiple reminders of this deadline and I outlined some consequences if he did not meet this deadline. I received no communications from him. On May 30, I received a ups shipping notification (a new one with a new tracking number) and a notification canceling the previous ups shipping notification. my frame arrived on May 31.

the workmanship is great. the gun is as I want it to be. the price was fair. I am relieved to have my gun back. I write this review to let everyone know what the realistic expectations are. I am not here to badmouth Joe. I just want people to order with the correct idea that it'll take a long time, be patient, don't get your hopes up if someone doing custom work tells you that it's almost done. I think if people go in with these correct expectations there will be much less stress.

can I recommend Joe's work? yes. would I ever send Joe work again? no.

atp
06-03-16, 04:01
ruchik, could you take some measurements of your customized M&P? (And ideally, also measure a factory pistol?)

For comparison, below are some measurements I took of other (mostly unmodified) pistols. All numbers are in millimeters:

Gun Grip Trigger Reset
Glock 17 gen 2: 139 mm 74.9 71.0
Glock 19 gen 2: 139 75.0 72.1
Glock 22 gen 2: 139 74.8 69.5
Springfield XDM-9: 131 66.8 63.8
Springfield XD-45: 137 71.1 67.6
Kimber CDP, short trigger: 135 63.6 62.6
1911-A1, thinner grips: 130 64.0 63.4
Kahr P9: 118 62.3 58.7
Kahr P40: 118 62.6 60.1
Kahr TP45: 124 64.5 61.7
Kel-Tec P-32: 108 62.5 60.1

"Grip" is the grip circumference, measured with a flexible tape around the backstrap and under the trigger guard, so basically where the web of your hand and middle finger would be. "Trigger" is the approximate straight-line distance from the backstrap to the face of the trigger, measured with calipers, without moving the trigger. (On Glocks, this is with the safety lever depressed.) "Reset" is the same straight-line distance to approximately the point where the trigger resets on its way forward, which typically is also where the take-up finishes when pulling the trigger.

The straight-line "Trigger" and "Reset" measurements may not be that useful. In hindsight, perhaps I should have used the flexible tape to measure the length of the arc from the backstrap to the front face of the trigger, as that's pretty close to where your hand and trigger finger actually need to go to use the gun.

For small hands, the XDM 9mm seems pretty impressive so far. It wastes some space with its grip safety in the back, yet still fells distinctly thinner than the Glock 9mm pistols. I can definitely feel that measured 8 mm difference in grip circumference. Unfortunately I don't have a S&W M&P to compare it to. The XD-45 feels very similar in thickness to the Glock 17 to me, and the grip circumference measurements above bear that out - the .45 ACP XD is actually smaller than the 9mm Glock!

The single-stack polymer Kahr pistols are probably about as thin as you can get for the caliber. Unlike the 1911, their grips have no springs or other parts inside them at all, it's basically just a tube around the magazine. Thus even with their long-throw triggers, they still manage to have slightly shorter trigger reach than the 1911 with a short trigger. If Kahr would make a P-series pistol with a short single-action trigger and 1911-style manual safety, it should be fabulous for anybody with really tiny hands.