PDA

View Full Version : Eotech, not gonna do it.

themighty9mm
07-23-12, 23:07
I have been running one of my AR's with a lmt rear sight for some time now. Love the set up and am unwilling to change it.

About a month back, I picked up an eotech 512 for what seemed like a good deal $360. Picked it up against my better judgment after reading about them on hear. Price won it over as oppossed to the aimpoint when all was said and done. Either the AP PRO or the EOtech will require a riser for me. Got all amped up and excited. Then it arrived.

Opened the box and relized it was much more heavy than I anticipated. I knew before hand It would be the heavier of the optics I looked at. Went with it anyways. Turned it on, to find out my research was better than my hopes and dreams and should have went with what I read. With the size of the eotech and the lmt rear sight. It was borderline difficult to activate the buttons given the rather small gap inbetween. Also the buttons did not have nearly as much positive click as I had hoped for.
Then when it was on I quickly relized it will either have to be too bright or too dim. In direct sunlight I cant make it out at all unless it was on almost the highest setting. Then it was nearly blinding. And the weight on the gun itself just seemed too much. I very quickly decided for real close range (in my house distance) I can use just the front sight and be close enough, and in doing so save myself, what seemed like a very signifigant amount of weight. I quickly returned the optic and got my money back.

So how many issues of mine does, say an aimpoint pro solve?

Lighter, but how much lighter? Not necessarily in ounces as I can easily look up the specs. But in handling is it a difference one can actually feel?
More postive one/off click and permanent on solution. Anything to add to that?
Does the dot itself fad with light, or is there at least a happy medium with the pro model? I'll guess the answers will go as such. Yes then no. Just hopefull I guess. Maybe a way around that?

Taprackngo
07-23-12, 23:17
I am very happy with my T1 Micro, but it does cost more.

mkmckinley
07-24-12, 00:06
The EOtech has its shortcomings but your gripes are not really among them. If you don't like it get something else but you're whining about button clickyness and the reticle being a little too dim or too bright. Boo Hoo. Guys are using EOtechs in combat every day in all kinds of conditions. That said I do like an Aimpoint a little better but that's mainly due to the durability. The old EOtechs can develop battery connection problems which the newer XPS and EXPS models solve.

Wake27
07-24-12, 01:12
The EOtech has its shortcomings but your gripes are not really among them. If you don't like it get something else but you're whining about button clickyness and the reticle being a little too dim or too bright. Boo Hoo. Guys are using EOtechs in combat every day in all kinds of conditions. That said I do like an Aimpoint a little better but that's mainly due to the durability. The old EOtechs can develop battery connection problems which the newer XPS and EXPS models solve.

I have to agree somewhat. The things that you listed (except for the clicky-ness I guess) aren't necessarily specific to EOTech as a whole, but maybe just the model. Keep in mind that the 512 is the cheapest optic they sell. If you got an EXPS-3 or really any other model, the feature list would be improved. This includes brightness settings and weight distribution would be fairly significant between the regular and transverse battery models.

XxChino13xX
07-24-12, 02:31
If you're not dead set on the 512 for its NV capabilities, see if you can trade up to a 517. It has the 7mm base though, which for me puts my BUIS in the lower 1/3. The buttons are moved to the left side of the cage, and everything is virtually the same. Just my .02 if ya haven't already looked at them prior to picking up the 512.

SMETNA
07-24-12, 02:44
The 512 doesn't have NV capabilities, 1-post.

OP, I have two 512s and I have nothing but good things to say so far. If you don't like it because you think it's heavy or not very ergonomic, that's an opinion, not a fact.

SpankMonkey
07-24-12, 02:53
OP you need to hit the gym. You sound like a baby.

XxChino13xX
07-24-12, 02:56
The 512 doesn't have NV capabilities, 1-post.

OP, I have two 512s and I have nothing but good things to say so far. If you don't like it because you think it's heavy or not very ergonomic, that's an opinion, not a fact.

Ah, I stand corrected, I pulled up the EOTech site on my phone real quick and saw the center button and assumed it had it without looking closer, never mind.

Think it's time to attempt to sleep, two days without is catching up to me obviously.

HeavyDuty
07-24-12, 07:17

Rather ironic considering your signature line.

wtheesfeld
07-24-12, 07:21
I have been running one of my AR's with a lmt rear sight for some time now. Love the set up and am unwilling to change it.

About a month back, I picked up an eotech 512 for what seemed like a good deal $360. Picked it up against my better judgment after reading about them on hear. Price won it over as oppossed to the aimpoint when all was said and done. Either the AP PRO or the EOtech will require a riser for me. Got all amped up and excited. Then it arrived.

Opened the box and relized it was much more heavy than I anticipated. I knew before hand It would be the heavier of the optics I looked at. Went with it anyways. Turned it on, to find out my research was better than my hopes and dreams and should have went with what I read. With the size of the eotech and the lmt rear sight. It was borderline difficult to activate the buttons given the rather small gap inbetween. Also the buttons did not have nearly as much positive click as I had hoped for.
Then when it was on I quickly relized it will either have to be too bright or too dim. In direct sunlight I cant make it out at all unless it was on almost the highest setting. Then it was nearly blinding. And the weight on the gun itself just seemed too much. I very quickly decided for real close range (in my house distance) I can use just the front sight and be close enough, and in doing so save myself, what seemed like a very signifigant amount of weight. I quickly returned the optic and got my money back.

So how many issues of mine does, say an aimpoint pro solve?

Lighter, but how much lighter? Not necessarily in ounces as I can easily look up the specs. But in handling is it a difference one can actually feel?
More postive one/off click and permanent on solution. Anything to add to that?
Does the dot itself fad with light, or is there at least a happy medium with the pro model? I'll guess the answers will go as such. Yes then no. Just hopefull I guess. Maybe a way around that?

Eotech 516 would. Put your buttons on the left side.

I did the same thing. Bought an eotech to save money, and ended up buying an aimpoint anyway. Much happier now!

Hmac
07-24-12, 12:47
I have a couple of Eotechs (517 and a couple of EXPS3's) as well as a couple of Aimpoints. Of the five...I have no preference as to handling and usability between any of them, except for the T-1 which I don't care for at all (4 MOA blob, internal reflections, small diameter tube).

As to weight, an XPS weighs about 30% less than a PRO.

mkmckinley
07-24-12, 13:04

No need for that attitude. We all want lighter/better/faster equipment if we can get it. A guy is going to be able to transition faster with a 7 lb carbine than a 10 lb carbine no matter what his level of strength. I'm reasonably fit and one of my main gripes about the Elcan, for instance, is its weight. I don't consider the Eotech 512 a heavy piece of kit but the OP's logic is valid IMO.

BCmJUnKie
07-24-12, 13:12

I agree. The XPS is an extremely well made optic. I ran one for a couple years. Never once even noticed button "Clickyness". It functioned fine.

When compared to the older Comp series Aimpoints, Eotech is right around the same weight, the Eotech might even be a little lighter due to needing a separate mount for the Aimpoint. Do some pushups if you have a hard time holding your rifle.

The T1 is fairly new and if weight is a problem, save the extra money and get one. Should have done homework BEFOREHAND.

Everyone wants to spend next to NOTHING on an optic, expect it to be bulletproof and weigh in grams.

Pick one

krisjon
07-26-12, 00:23
The LMT fixed sights are great, but they're sort of big and chunky.

Not having much room to push the buttons on the Eotech isn't the fault of the Eotech. You gave up rail space for the LMT. Duh.

SW-Shooter
07-26-12, 00:46
I'm not claiming that every time I post something that it is a contribution, actually far from it. But, I just don't understand why some people feel the need to open their pie hole just to spout a needless opinion that nobody asked for. If there was ever a waste of bandwidth I declare this thread takes the cake. TO:cray:

SMETNA
07-26-12, 00:59
I'm not claiming that every time I post something that it is a contribution, actually far from it. But, I just don't understand why some people feel the need to open their pie hole just to spout a needless opinion that nobody asked for. If there was ever a waste of bandwidth I declare this thread takes the cake. TO:cray:

Especially when that opinion comes from zero minutes of hands-on time with the gear in question. Like if someone were to just look at the companies' web page for 10 seconds and then offer their opinion.

Jellybean
07-26-12, 01:03
I used to own a 512.
I never thought it was "heavy"- for sure not any more noticable than inserting a loaded mag. I have even recently handled rifles with scopes that are heavier than mine, and it wasn't THAT bad. And I am super out of shape....:confused:

I'm not an expert here, but this strikes me a kind of a weird question- if the 512 was to heavy for your taste, how much weight are you realistically thinking you're going to save with a Comp-x +mount, or PRO+mount, or T1+mount, or XPS?
Ok, maybe the T1.... but still, any others I would venture to guess it's going to end up a pretty minor difference (again, not an expert- what do I know).
I don't understand. Maybe if you could give a better explanation?

SMETNA
07-26-12, 01:22
A 512 with Lithium batteries weighs less than a pound, like 10-12 ounces. I'll weigh one of mine when I get home.

rob_s
07-26-12, 05:23
The strength and gym comments are just ****ing stupid. But typical. John McPhee and Pat McNamara both said in their classes that if they can get the same performance in a lighter package, they wanted the lighter package. I don't think anyone is telling them to hit the gym. Unnecessary weight is almost as stupid as the gym comments.

OP, nobody is going to be able to answer these questions for you. You need to attend a class or a match so you can check out other people's gear, or you just need to bite the bullet and buy an Aimpoint of some sort so you can try them side by side yourself.

themighty9mm
08-05-12, 16:52

Yes, they are just gripes of my own. Personal little things I did not like about it. Thus the questions of would the aimpoint solve the small problems I have.

Caeser25
08-05-12, 18:49
Id suggest a used H-1 from the ee. I had a T-1 before I switched a ta33. It's worth it, even if you have wait longer to save up for it.

IYAAYASwarrior
08-05-12, 19:11
Master your irons while you save up for a better optic. Current practice of mine :D

highlighter
08-07-12, 20:34
The T-1 is lighter but I like the retical of the eotech which for me aids faster shooting. I will accept the extra weight.

JSantoro
08-08-12, 08:29
Here, we see a rehash (nothing here that isn't in every other EOTech thread....), AND....

....Capt. Douche Creatine chiming in with "get swoll" as a responce to something that ISN'T a question like "how do I improve my shuttle-runs..."

OP, we HAVE a Search feature that provides many hits when "EOTech" or similar is punched into it. Use it, and stop the answer each individual question with an individual post IOT artificially inflate your post-count.

To the bully that professes to hate bullies, Mr. Sweatin' to Freddy Mercury: we HAVE a fitness subforum. Keep the barely-suppressing-bi-curiosity meathead BS where it belongs.